• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Electric Vehicles (from Twitter idiot)

To notify a split thread.
usally 3rd world countries that have little to no environmental controls.

You're right. Full stop. From what I understand mining practices are an issue in (for example) the Democratic Republic of Congo. To my knowledge Tesla (aka Twitter CEO Elon) claimed to have joined some initiative to make supplier work places safer last year. That's bullshit. I find it hard to believe any corporation when they claim to be doing their best to prevent suppliers from exploiting people. It's not like they have eyes everywhere on there suppliers and the Congo Government who themselves don't even have eyes everywhere if they are even looking. The workers are just looking to survive. Working in hopes to GTFO of that situation. Some children are put to work by adults. In many cases those adults are trafficker's. Political conflicts erupt thanks to the lure of riches that only a few will actually get from western elements for their assistance. Exploitation is an issue in every industry and no one can claim they aren't benefiting from exploitation no matter what your lifestyle is and where you reside.

Observation: I hike. I see no charging stations between stuff near home and any of my common hiking areas.

That's just Tesla Super chargers. It does not include chargers from other companies and many US national parks have charging spaces from other companies available on site. Just look up the place you hike at and then search EV charging. Likely something is available.
I see one high power plug in an RV park, that's it.

Zoinks. Well, EV's are just not for you I suppose.

If you're driving from America to Japan sure.
Long way to go for a hike.
:rimshot:
What part of the US is more than 150 miles from somewhere to hike? (Don't most EVs go 300+ miles/)
And isn't it ecologically abusive to drive 300+ miles to walk a few miles?

You don't charge 15 mins for 200 miles in a $35k Tesla.

Ok 15 minutes was hella optimistic on my part. :ROFLMAO: Depending on the distance between chargers & speed of the charger the charge can take up to 45 minutes. There are a lot more stops for an EV than for an ICE vehicle as well. I'll tell you what though, I drove to and from NC/FL and thanks to advanced auto pilot (not Ludacris Cruise Control™) the drive was 80% more manageable to me. Between that and zero emissions, I'll take the occasional 45 minute charge and extra stops.

I don't give a fuck what a car that costs 6 digits can do.

Thanks for sharing?
Yes there is zero emissions AS YOU DRIVE. There are still emissions generated from using the electricity to charge up from coal fired power plants. There are emissions to make the car and the lithium for the battery is mined somewhere - usually 3rd world countries that have little to no environmental controls. Thankfully there is recycling of the lithium car batteries now once your all done with the vehicle.

There is emissions from making all cars. I really wish Tesla would release all the info on emissions from battery manufacturing because I have a hunch (while the ideal to me is zero emissions) overall it will prove to be less of an impact on the environment than manufacturing & then operating an ICE vehicle throughout its life cycle.
That depends a LOT on where you get the electricity to charge it.

www.electricitymap.org

What about ICE vehicles. Got a map showing where they can get gas for less emissions?

What about ICE vehicles. Got a map showing where they can get gas for less emissions?
I don't have a map, but ethanol addition to between 10 and 85 percent are quite common in various places. My car runs on E10; South America has a lot of E85, but typically you need a specially modified engine to run on more than 10% EtOH.

By less emissions I meant less than EV's but hey, less is less.

If you always get your gas at your destination rather than at your departure point, you don’t have to pay to get there.
Follow me for more helpful tips.

You get less emissions with an ICE by:

1) Living in an area that allows you to drive less. By living in an area that is near where I work, I improve my emissions by 60 to 80% compared to working 30 miles from where I live. Access to stores, services, etc... makes my need for gasoline and emission production much lower.

2) Drive a car with higher than average gas mileage and low emissions.

Sure, an EV negates emissions mostly, but to truly be the most efficient, one should use public transit. I live in NE Ohio and the term "public transit" is a four letter word. :(

1) Living in an area that allows you to drive less. By living in an area that is near where I work, I improve my emissions by 60 to 80% compared to working 30 miles from where I live. Access to stores, services, etc... makes my need for gasoline and emission production much lower.

Sure, an EV negates emissions mostly, but to truly be the most efficient, one should use public transit. I live in NE Ohio and the term "public transit" is a four letter word. :(

Not exactly what I meant by my post but that definitely helps. For people who care about the climate and have the option I'd encourage them to do so. I'd also encourage those to use whatever options they have rather than... I dunno, bash them for the options they chose.

Not exactly what I meant by my post but that definitely helps. For people who care about the climate and have the option I'd encourage them to do so. I'd also encourage those to use whatever options they have rather than... I dunno, bash them for the options they chose.
People's carbon footprint covers so much more than just their car. And people should reduce as they can, where they can. I reduced my footprint a lot more (and saw a ROI) via $5k to $6k on insulation of the home and a high efficiency furnace. Reduced gas usage by 50% or so while turning the dial up (wife insisted).

Buying an electric car is expensive, it is tethered, and is reliant on fewer fueling stations! One needs to buy a $100k Tesla to not be tethered, if willing to charge for 15 mins every 200 or so miles. They aren't viable yet! Plug-ins that can get 40 miles on a charge are a much better solution at the moment, well kind of. There aren't many that fit the bill either.

And OMFG... Honda stopped making the Fit?! Crap! It is the best car in the world, dollar for dollar.

Agree with everything accept 100k price (you can get them cheaper) and Tesla's not being viable. They aren't viable for you.

Also, you can do a lot by getting a second car that is EV. I use my ( $15,000) EV to communte to work and if I need to go anywhere further, I take an ICE vehicle. The ICE vehicles stay parked most of the time and only fire up when required.

Agree with everything accept 100k price (you can get them cheaper) and Tesla's not being viable. They aren't viable for you.
Cheaper ones have shorter tethers. I don't want to buy a car I can't drive on vacation without a significant lag time involved... and I can't afford an EV that doesn't have such lag.
Also, you can do a lot by getting a second car that is EV. I use my ( $15,000) EV to communte to work and if I need to go anywhere further, I take an ICE vehicle. The ICE vehicles stay parked most of the time and only fire up when required.
That'd be used, right? I do recall seeing used Leafs being available for that or even less.

Another consideration. The current electrical grid in most areas cannot not sustain every garage with an electric car plugged in.

Incoming rant.

I've been thinking (my first mistake). Considering that Elon is CEO aka the original money bag for Tesla which is an American auto maker leading the industry in EV and the only real competition for China on the EV front. I don't get all the hate outside of his stupid tweets. In fact our government seems to want to aid foreign car makers over Tesla with the EV tax credit rules. For what? To encourage climate initiatives? Wouldn't the best encouragement be to award the company doing it the best (an American one at that) so as to push the rest of the auto industry in the that direction? There are some Hybrids getting the Tax credit that are far less fuel efficient (like that god damned peace of shit Jeep Wrangler 4xe) while full electric vehicles like the Model X & Model S are left out entirely for silly reasons like price, weight and where the battery was manufactured. Like who gives a shit where the battery is manufactured if the aim is to lower emissions? What's the point in creating more American Jobs (around battery manufacturing) if the world is fucked? They should consider doing that later down the road or something. Right now we want as many people as possible (upper, middle & lower class) to purchase vehicles that are better for the environment (which technically the Jeep Wrangler 4xe is better than most ICE vehicles but still a piece of shit) .

End rant.
You're absolutely right about all of this. But the real reason Jeep gets the tax credit is because Jeep is built by union labor and Tesla's are not. And as much as the environment is a rightous cause I like having a middle class too.

Incoming rant.

I've been thinking (my first mistake). Considering that Elon is CEO aka the original money bag for Tesla which is an American auto maker leading the industry in EV and the only real competition for China on the EV front. I don't get all the hate outside of his stupid tweets.
Ok, I'll try to clarify.

First off, he didn't create Tesla, he came in after it was created, and I think forced out the founders. He doesn't give a shit about the environment or EVs, he cares about his fortune. So he got government investment early on, but works against the government investing in any other EV company. He produces expensive luxury EVs, rather than working to make them affordable and able to be a viable option for a lot of people. He keeps people interested with various vaporware, promising amazing things to come in the next couple years for investors, but somehow never materialize. (hyperloop, solar panel shingles, electric truck) He convinced states to not invest in high speed public trains, and instead invest in his projects that don't deliver. He tries to convince people he is Tony Stark, when he is more of a Trump, all show and little substance.

I've heard other car companies are starting to make decent EVs, and that the military is having EVs developed for the field. Now that will be a big help if the military can go electric for a lot of its vehicles.

Three questions, Where did I say he created Tesla? & Despite everything else you said, what American auto manufacture is ahead if not at least close to Tesla in the EV market, charging Network and Tesla's Ludacris cruise control? Which American automaker is performing better than Tesla's offering towards lowering emissions? Because that's what I'm talking about. Not that WE LOVE ELON or ANTI ELON bullshit everyone else is talking about. sure he says a lot of stupid shit and makes promises he can't keep. What does that have to do with what Tesla offers and how the EV (ELECTRIC VEHICLE) tax credit puts a piece of shit like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe over any Tesla.

This is what baffles me in regards to the EV tax credit. I could care less about Elon but judging by what his investments have done so far in the efforts to combat Climate Change they seem to be a step in the right direction.
All things equal, I don't think EV is helping the environment much. Certainly cornering the market on $100,000 EVs is also an achievement, but not particularly useful for the average Joe. Yes, he sells cheaper ones, but you can't go on vacation in them.
EV is helping get a hell of a lot closer than ICE. You have to start somewhere. The model T wasn't that great at first either but fortunately people had the vision to transition from horses.

The ultimate solution is will be the hydrogen tech Toyota is working on. But that is way down the line. The main point being not to get so focused on the disadvantages of dirty batteries not to see the forest from the trees

EV is helping get a hell of a lot closer than ICE. You have to start somewhere. The model T wasn't that great at first either but fortunately people had the vision to transition from horses.
The Model T was released in 1908.

The first electric vehicles were developed in the 1830s; Electric cars weren't widely used until the 1870s, but they had certainly been popular for over thirty years before Ford started selling the Model T.

The Model T was released in 1908.

The first electric vehicles were developed in the 1830s; Electric cars weren't widely used until the 1870s, but they had certainly been popular for over thirty years before Ford started selling the Model T.
And we would have started using batteries more back then if global warming had been known and cared about. The point is that autos replaced horses even though (back then) autos weren't that great

Back
Top Bottom