• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Elizabeth II has died

No, she was the figurehead for a monstrous empire.
The British Empire did more to free and modernize the World than any political entity before or since. It’s not popular history, but the Brits used the force of their Empire to end slavery. Can’t think of any other empire which chose to risk treasure and lives to help outgroups.
Right up until the ending of British colonialism the Brits imported raw or minimally processed materials from the colonies and required the colonies to buy imported British goods.

I must say, Queen Elizabeth must have been a monster.
No, she was the figurehead for a monstrous empire. Knowledgeably and willingly so. If you nominate yourself to be the symbol of a nation, you don't get to represent only the parts of it you care to acknowledge.
Elizabeth had her bloody hands on the genocide etc. according Uju. Hyperbole maybe, I don't know enough about the British Empire.
The tweet is more than clear. The government multiply committed genocide. Elizabeth II represented that government.

The British Empire did more to free and modernize the World than any political entity before or since. It’s not popular history, but the Brits used the force of their Empire to end slavery. Can’t think of any other empire which chose to risk treasure and lives to help outgroups.

No, that is definitely not popular history. On this we agree. It is most certainly popular, and very much the way history is taught to young Brits.

But it is not history. It's nonsensical, imperialistic pageantry unsupportable by any examination of the actual historical record. You can't look at the whole broad span of imperial history and acknowledge only one moment in that span of history as indicative of the entire legacy. Britain vigorously participated in the slave trade for a very long period of time before abolition, and the money generated by that period of exploitation remains a portion of the royal family's wealth and corresponding influence.

No, that is deifnitely not popular history. On this we agree.

It's nonsensical, imperialistic pageantry unsupportable by any examination of the actual historical record.

No, she was the figurehead for a monstrous empire. Knowledgeably and willingly so. If you nominate yourself to be the symbol of a nation, you don't get to represent only the parts of it you care to acknowledge.
Elizabeth had her bloody hands on the genocide etc. according Uju. Hyperbole maybe, I don't know enough about the British Empire.
The tweet is more than clear. The government multiply committed genocide. Elizabeth II represented that government.
The Uju clearly stated Queen Elizabeth supervised the genocides etc.

The tweet:
'If anyone expects me to express anything but disdain for the monarch who supervised a government that sponsored the genocide that massacred and displaced half my family and the consequences of which those alive today are still trying to overcome, you can keep wishing upon a star.

'That wretched woman and her bloodthirsty throne have f***** generations of my ancestors on both sides of the family, and she supervised a government that sponsored the genocide my parents and siblings survived. May she die in agony.'

By accepting coronation, Elizabeth II became the "supervisor" (Uju's term) of the British Empire, which did indeed participate in the destruction of entire peoples of Nigeria and to this day holds many of its sacred objects and royal artifacts hostage in its museums. While the legacy of Britain and Nigeria is complex (they also -- much, much later -- ended slavery in the territory) the ire Uju feels is hardly unwarranted. She is careful to note that the memory both sides of her family, ie the Nigerian and the British sides of her heritage compels her bitterness; this is not about race, but about the entire legacy of the British government, which was as quick to indenture the disadvantaged peoples of Britain itself in its lust for colonial wealth as take African slaves.

"The White Man's Burden" (1899), by Rudyard Kipling, is a poem about the Philippine–American War (1899–1902) that exhorts the United States to assume colonial control of the Filipino people and their country.[1] Originally written to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria (22 June 1897), the jingoistic poem was replaced with the sombre "Recessional" (1897), also a Kipling poem about empire.

In "The White Man's Burden", Kipling encouraged the American annexation and colonization of the Philippine Islands, a Pacific Ocean archipelago conquered in the three-month Spanish–American War (1898).[1] As an imperialist poet, Kipling exhorts the American reader and listener to take up the enterprise of empire, yet warns about the personal costs faced, endured, and paid in building an empire;[1] nonetheless, American imperialists understood the phrase "the white man’s burden" to justify imperial conquest as a mission-of-civilisation that is ideologically related to the continental-expansion philosophy of manifest destiny of the early 19th century.[2][3][4][5]

We came to civilize you so you can be like us. It is our moral obligation.

That was the culture both Elizabeth and Churchill were born into. Tame the savages in the Pacific, Asia, Africa, and India.

It is reflected in the Norh American forced indioctrination of native people in Christian schools. Cultural genocide. It has been gettingattntion over the last few yearss.

The tweet:
'If anyone expects me to express anything but disdain for the monarch who supervised a government that sponsored the genocide that massacred and displaced half my family and the consequences of which those alive today are still trying to overcome, you can keep wishing upon a star.

'That wretched woman and her bloodthirsty throne have f***** generations of my ancestors on both sides of the family, and she supervised a government that sponsored the genocide my parents and siblings survived. May she die in agony.'

By accepting coronation, Elizabeth II became the "supervisor" (Uju's term) of the British Empire, which did indeed participate in the destruction of entire peoples of Nigeria and to this day holds many of its sacred objects and royal artifacts hostage in its museums. While the legacy of Britain and Nigeria is complex (they also -- much, much later -- ended slavery in the territory) the ire Uju feels is hardly unwarranted. She is careful to note that the memory both sides of her family, ie the Nigerian and the British sides of her heritage compels her bitterness; this is not about race, but about the entire legacy of the British government, which was as quick to indenture the disadvantaged peoples of Britain itself in its lust for colonial wealth as take African slaves.

Seems fair enough. Shame that Twitter got all prissy and deleted her content.

Twitter has a financial interest in maintaining a posting environment conducive to the comfort and enjoyment of their users, a front along which they have often failed to deliver in the past. They aren't a public forum of the British or any other government, and do not have any obligation to leave up controversial "tweets" that might be bringing them yet more bad publicity.

Great, I'll gladly blast you in the face with my fist then hand you an icepack. We cool?

Great, I'll gladly blast you in the face with my fist then hand you an icepack. We cool?
If not for the British Empire, slavery would still be widespread throughout the world. No one else cared to stop it.

Well... Uju Anya is not wrong. The British empire caused untold suffering.
Of course she is wrong. Your opinions about the British Empire aside (not the topic of this thread anyway) QE2 reigned from 1952, when the British Empire already ended for all intents and purposes. And of course, her role in purely ceremonial. She, nor her more recent predecessors, have had no meaningful role in running the country.

Twitter has removed a series of vile tweets written by a critical race theory professor who was mocking Queen Elizabeth II just hours before her death, ... 'I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping genocidal empire is finally dying. May her pain be excruciating. ... May she die in agony.'
Well, if Ms. Anya's goal in life is to inflict a new religion on the world, she's certainly got the sin-by-proxy and vengeance-by-proxy parts down pat.

Back
Top Bottom