• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Elizabeth II has died

Prissy? You don't think these comments could possibly violate the rules of posting on Twitter?
"May her pain be excruciating."
"May she die in agony."

Do we know yet if Charles is going to be King Charles or will he be himself and pick another name to go by as monarch, making the whole world get used to the new name?

This morning there was a double rainbow over London. One of the anchors on TODAY said that meant the Queen was safe.

I yelled at the screen

"She ain't safe, she dead!!"

I wish people made sense.
:D Waiting with baited breath for the memes on this Today show statement. But double rainbows are something special and mean something. Just listen to this guy:

Do we know yet if Charles is going to be King Charles or will he be himself and pick another name to go by as monarch, making the whole world get used to the new name?
He's sticking with "Charles".

Britain's new monarch to be known as King Charles III | Reuters
Clarence House confirmed on Thursday that Britain's new monarch will be known as King Charles III, following the death of Queen Elizabeth, PA Media reported on Thursday.
The official residence of the Prince of Wales: Royal Residences: Clarence House | The Royal Family and Home | Prince of Wales

Prince of Wales - as the title of the British monarchy's heir apparent, that goes back to 1301.

From reporting the royals are a significant tourist draw, meaning money for business. Part of the English popular image.

God save Prince Chuck just doesn't quite carry the weight of God Save The Queen.

He could have chose 'King Author' as his title.

Prissy? You don't think these comments could possibly violate the rules of posting on Twitter?
"May she die in agony."
I agree that those comments are out of line.

If anything, she was queen during the decline of the British Empire. All that's left of it are a lot of small islands.

They need to take Jamacia off that list of small islands.

"May she die in agony."

If anything, she was queen during the decline of the British Empire. All that's left of it are a lot of small islands.
That is such a weirdass criticism. "Stop complaining about being a territorial holding of a corrupt family, they don't have unjust domination over nearly as many places as they used to!" If they suck at maintaining their empire, then now more than ever it is a good time to want to be rid of them. If you don't want your nation to be the possession of foreign aristocrats in the first place, why would it be any more appealing to be the possession of a crumbling and declining empire?

Have you ever been to Fiji? Seen the life situation most people there are in? The Windsors are paramount chiefs over all those islands, and they never even gave a shit about them, rarely met the other chiefs, actually bragged about not being "poltically involved" in the conduct of Empire despite holding a political position and greatly influencing political life. And that's just one of the "lot of small islands" they should either give up or own up to their responsibilities toward. These are people's lives we're talking about. You cannot possess, even "symbolically", without accepting accountability for that which you happily claim as yours.

Now they're upset over rude comments. Well, suck it up, buttercups, life is hard out there, and you inherited responsibilities that you glibly ignored. You don't get to choose what you are or aren't a symbol of when you set yourself up as a figurehead and draw a generous salary for that role.

"May she die in agony."

That is such a weirdass criticism. "Stop complaining about being a territorial holding of a corrupt family, they don't have unjust domination over nearly as many places as they used to!" If they suck at maintaining their empire, then now more than ever it is a good time to want to be rid of them. If you don't want your nation to be the possession of aristocrats in the first place, why would it be any more appealing to be the possession of a crumbling and declining empire?
Her shittiness and the shittiness of things she presided over are not grounds to wish pain and anguish upon her.

"May she die in agony."

She was the de-colonizer.

One thing I did not know is the monarch is the head of the Church Of England. A theocracy.

Generally thy are a figurehead. There is a group called Society For Creative anachronism.

The monarchy of the United Kingdom, commonly referred to as the British monarchy, is the constitutional form of government by which a hereditary sovereign reigns as the head of state of the United Kingdom, the Crown Dependencies (the Bailiwick of Guernsey, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Isle of Man) and the British Overseas Territories. The current monarch is King Charles III, who ascended the throne on 8 September 2022, upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II.

The monarch and their immediate family undertake various official, ceremonial, diplomatic and representational duties. As the monarchy is constitutional, the monarch is limited to functions such as bestowing honours and appointing the prime minister, which are performed in a non-partisan manner. The monarch is also Head of the British Armed Forces. Though the ultimate executive authority over the government is still formally by and through the royal prerogative, these powers may only be used according to laws enacted in Parliament and, in practice, within the constraints of convention and precedent. The Government of the United Kingdom is known as His (Her) Majesty's Government.

The British monarchy traces its origins from the petty kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England and early medieval Scotland, which consolidated into the kingdoms of England and Scotland by the 10th century. England was conquered by the Normans in 1066, after which Wales also gradually came under the control of Anglo-Normans. The process was completed in the 13th century when the Principality of Wales became a client state of the English kingdom. Meanwhile, Magna Carta began the process of reducing the English monarch's political powers. From 1603, the English and Scottish kingdoms were ruled by a single sovereign. From 1649 to 1660, the tradition of monarchy was broken by the republican Commonwealth of England, which followed the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. Following the installation of William and Mary as co-monarchs in the Glorious Revolution, the Bill of Rights 1689, and its Scottish counterpart the Claim of Right Act 1689, further curtailed the power of the monarchy and excluded Roman Catholics from succession to the throne. In 1707, the kingdoms of England and Scotland were merged to create the Kingdom of Great Britain, and in 1801, the Kingdom of Ireland joined to create the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The British monarch was the nominal head of the vast British Empire, which covered a quarter of the world's land area at its greatest extent in 1921.

The Balfour Declaration of 1926 recognised the evolution of the Dominions of the Empire into separate, self-governing countries within a Commonwealth of Nations. In the years after the Second World War, the vast majority of British colonies and territories became independent, effectively bringing the Empire to an end. George VI and his successors, Elizabeth II and Charles III, adopted the title Head of the Commonwealth as a symbol of the free association of its independent member states. The United Kingdom and fourteen other independent sovereign states that share the same person as their monarch are called Commonwealth realms. Although the monarch is shared, each country is sovereign and independent of the others, and the monarch has a different, specific, and official national title and style for each realm. Although the term is rarely used today the fifteen Commonwealth realms are in personal union.

"May she die in agony."

That is such a weirdass criticism. "Stop complaining about being a territorial holding of a corrupt family, they don't have unjust domination over nearly as many places as they used to!" If they suck at maintaining their empire, then now more than ever it is a good time to want to be rid of them. If you don't want your nation to be the possession of aristocrats in the first place, why would it be any more appealing to be the possession of a crumbling and declining empire?
Her shittiness and the shittiness of things she presided over are not grounds to wish pain and anguish upon her.
Why the hell not? She could read. She knew her position. She accepted it all voluntarily, over and over. When soldiers were marching under her flag and in her name in war after bloody war, however "symbolically", did it trouble her damn tea time?

"May she die in agony."

Why the hell not? She could read.
I wouldn't wish pain and anguish on Trump despite the fact that he openly seeks pain and anguish for others.

I might joke from time to time, and I do think execution is a correct course of action there, but pain and anguish is too far.

The Queen was a good shade short of the awfulness of Twitler.

"May she die in agony."

Why the hell not? She could read. She knew her position. She accepted it all voluntarily, over and over.
I think the question isn't whether the Crown has issues... it is whether statements like:
"May she die in agony."

are against the terms of using Twitter. I'm pretty certain if I said "May you die in agony", that would be moderated here.. and you aren't even a Queen! Well... I don't think you are queen.

It isn't as much as wishing ill will on the Queen... it is the inflammatory wishing of ill will on anyone. The Tweet could have been scathing, without the "pain" and "agony". Oddly enough, maybe a better written and scathing Tweet would have been taken more seriously too. Granted, it wouldn't have been deleted and TSwizzle wouldn't have been able to complain about Twitter censoring people wishing terrible pain and agony on an elderly person.

Back
Top Bottom