I think they are serious when they write such things. Minnesota, England, France… “they” are super close to taking over and replacing us.
This seems to be entirely a creation of the news media, particularly (but not limited to) the Murdochs' News Limited and the Rothermeres' DMGT.
One huge problem with our modern society is that popular news media is expensive, and so is dominated by the opinions of a tiny handful of wealthy men whose beliefs (no matter how ugly or absurd) become accepted wisdom; And while fringe news media is cheap, it is dominated by single issue obsessives, whose beliefs are typically absurd, even where they contradict the popular media narratives.
My solution is to generally avoid the news, unless and until a story is raised by people I know - including the posters on this small, but generally above average intelligence, forum.
If a story isn't being discussed here (or other fora I frequent) by posters I have come to trust, and is not being discussed by my workmates, family, or neighbours, then I probably don't need to know or care about it.
I don't need to be the first to know about anything that's not happening in my street, or suburb. I don't need to see any more wounded people or explosions or fires or lucky escapes in distant lands, just because News Limited has footage of those things. I decline to be outraged by people I don't know being cruel or heartless or vicious to other people I don't know - unless I can reasonably intervene, I don't want to know. Indeed, I actively want
not to know.