• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Epstein arrested

I do believe Melbourne is in Australia, not the United States. But, both nations do have a soft spot for retributive "justice", and indeed Australia is just as bad as us about imprisoning people who ought to be hospitalized and cared for, and using the court and prison system to reproduce old race hatreds.

I do believe Melbourne is in Australia, not the United States. But, both nations do have a soft spot for retributive "justice", and indeed Australia is just as bad as us about imprisoning people who ought to be hospitalized and cared for, and using the court and prison system to reproduce old race hatreds.
Australia still bears the scars of having been founded as a prison. My entire state (Queensland) only exists because the authorities decided that Sydney was becoming too pleasant for convicts, and were looking for somewhere even more uncomfortable, to which to send recidivists.

Australia still bears the scars of having been founded as a prison. My entire state (Queensland) only exists because the authorities decided that Sydney was becoming too pleasant for convicts, and were looking for somewhere even more uncomfortable, to which to send recidivists.
This is more of a factor than is commonly acknowledged, even in the US; our early experiences tend to shape the permanent institutions that form in a colonized zone, and for us the weird tension between hyper-religious utopian colonies and dirty port cities that became dumping grounds for criminals or slaves (and the combo move of accused criminals under terms indenture) were those conditions.

Would you really expect anything like that from a system designed specifically as punishment (and many/most americans totally happy with that) and not designed for rehabilitation?
I'd like less neglect of crime victims. MUCH less. I'd prefer taking care of them directly and making their attackers pay restitution to them. Also alternatives to fines and imprisonment like ankle monitors. We have the technology, so we ought to use it. Thus, if you are caught shoplifting, you are made to wear these monitors, and store clerks are then alerted to your presence. They can either kick you out or watch over you. It's like traffic violations. Does one want the rest of one's life in prison for speeding or running a red light or parking violations?

Some documents were released yesterday.

Jeffrey Epstein contact names released by court. Here are key takeaways from the unsealed documents.

Documents that include the names of more than 100 people connected to Jeffrey Epstein, including business associates and accusers, among others, were made public on Wednesday, Jan. 3, following a federal judge's December ruling that the information be unsealed.

More than 900 pages of mostly unredacted documents were released Wednesday. Much of the information has been previously reported, and many of those whose names are mentioned are not accused of any wrongdoing.

Though the unsealed court documents don't contain an actual list of associates, the names were expected to include some that also appeared on the flight logs of Epstein's private jet, nicknamed the "Lolita Express," which he often used to fly to his private island in the Caribbean. Those manifests and other documents, such as his private calendar, had previously been made public, including as part of legal proceedings or public records requests. Many of those who had business or social ties with Epstein, a convicted sex offender, have denied any misconduct or involvement in his activities.

Looks like Bill Clinton likes them young. :dancy: But then again, we knew that from the Monica Lewinsky days:

Bill Clinton, also among the people whose names appear in the documents, had allegedly been described by Epstein as "a good friend," one Epstein accuser recounted in 2019. The former president's name had also appeared on manifests for the private jet, on which he said he had taken four trips "in connection with the work of the Clinton Foundation." He has not been accused of wrongdoing. A spokesperson told CBS News it's been nearly 20 years since Clinton last had contact with Epstein, and referred CBS News to a 2019 statement denying Clinton had any knowledge of what he called Epstein's "terrible crimes."

Clinton's name also came up In Sjoberg's deposition. She did not accuse him of any wrongdoing, but said that Epstein told her "one time that Clinton likes them young, referring to girls."

Dear Alan; as your lawyer I will advise you that screaming "what about Hamas?" is not the defense you believe it to be.

If you hate yourself and want to lose brain cells without the benefits of alcohol, you can watch this interview on Piers Morgan with Alan Dershowitz and Eric Weinstein justifying their relationship with Epstein. And if you are wondering, yes "whatabout Bill Clinton?" appears pretty much at the start with Alan Dershowitz attempting some deflection. Zero mention of Trump of course.

Back
Top Bottom