• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Etymology of Woo Woo vs. Woo

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
Are etymological questions social science?

I was discussing woo with a woo peddler at some point, and she told me her generation (born around 1940s) called it "woo woo" instead of woo. I noticed fromderinside used the turn of phrase "woo woo" as well.

At what point did woo woo become woo? I can't find any certifiably non-wooish description of the etymological roots of either.

I was discussing woo with a woo peddler at some point, and she told me her generation (born around 1940s) called it "woo woo" instead of woo. I noticed fromderinside used the turn of phrase "woo woo" as well.

At what point did woo woo become woo? I can't find any certifiably non-wooish description of the etymological roots of either.

I don't know if it helps, but in Australia, everyone calls 'Wagga Wagga' 'Wagga'; but nobody calls 'Woy Woy' 'Woy'; And the mythical town that anyone from the middle of nowhere inhabits is always 'Woop Woop', never 'Woop'.

Think of a train whistling past. It doesn't so much go woo-woo as woo. We know that today because we're more scientifically literate and listen for the Doppler effect. So I think woo-woo became woo when more people became familiar with basic science.

Woo doesn't get there for me. It needs repeating to make the point clear that its not just woo, but, really out there woo woo. Picked it up in the late forties in rural western - well, east of the Rockies western - Montana, north of Yellowstone near Missouri headwaters where woo and woo woo still have some meaning.

lol. Well, ok. I'm really curious about the earliest usage of woo as woo in this case of woo woo etymology.

I can't help thinking that maybe it came from romantic wooing, and some dad telling his daughter that what she thinks is love is just woo, with no substance, but that's not wooish enough of an explanation for woo, or is it? Might have to go with joedad's....

What about emphasis? A single 'woo' may not have been considered to adequately convey the absurdity of the object. So it's not just 'woo' - which is putting it too mildly - it goes beyond woo and enters the realm of 'woo woo?'

lol. Well, ok. I'm really curious about the earliest usage of woo as woo in this case of woo woo etymology.

I can't help thinking that maybe it came from romantic wooing, and some dad telling his daughter that what she thinks is love is just woo, with no substance, but that's not wooish enough of an explanation for woo, or is it? Might have to go with joedad's....

The connection to romantic wooing would be neat, since it shares an appeal to reason undermining emotional ploys. Ide

However, I've heard it might refer to the "wooooooo" sound effects made often by the Theramin in spooky movies and the sound of ghosts.

I always thought that woo woo was what you called it when people made up bullshit theories about pseudo science.

I always thought that woo woo was what you called it when people made up bullshit theories about pseudo science.

Yes, that makes sense.

Bullshit theories are 'woo'.

Pseudo science is 'woo'

So bullshit theories about pseudo science is 'woo woo'.

'Woo!' is also an expression of sarcastic awe or delight; so if someone makes up a bullshit theory about pseudo science that is particularly unimpressive, one might respond "Woo! Woo woo"*.

*And then be set upon by a sexually aroused Barn Owl.

Yes, that makes sense.

Bullshit theories are 'woo'.

Pseudo science is 'woo'

So bullshit theories about pseudo science is 'woo woo'.

'Woo!' is also an expression of sarcastic awe or delight; so if someone makes up a bullshit theory about pseudo science that is particularly unimpressive, one might respond "Woo! Woo woo"*.

*And then be set upon by a sexually aroused Barn Owl.

It appears to be language in its own right. Should be registered with the UN. The official language of the people of the land of Woo.

The connection to romantic wooing would be neat, since it shares an appeal to reason undermining emotional ploys. Ide

However, I've heard it might refer to the "wooooooo" sound effects made often by the Theramin in spooky movies and the sound of ghosts.
I've read that... but don't know if it's woooooo or not.

I thought the use of "woo" as metaphysical speach was derived from the use of "woo" (woman) as in to court, date, make romantic promises... etc..

It seems that "woo" speak may be a reference to courting an idea.. let me get you all worked up about this thought... fall in love with this idea.. etc...

A barred owl down here since they've displaced the spotted owl because human civilization encroaching on their usual habitat.

Woo?

That's all woo woo.

Barred owls, if you listen closely, say: "Who cooks for you, who cooks foryou'all?"

And Oregon is not "down here"; it's "up there", from here. And even more so from "ɹǝpunuʍop" :)

And you're welcome...

Last edited:
It's still called woo woo among a lot of skeptics. Woo is just a shortcut.

Back
Top Bottom