• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Europe submits voluntarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
wikipedia on first glance says Ramadan is a lunar month

27 May – 24 June for 2017

it seems to move 10-11 days earlier each year.

That's why it's only a problem for exams certain years. Moving the exam period completely is a non-solution, since sooner or later it'll clash with Ramadan

I think the England has already rescheduled some exams to avoid ramadan.

If I've understood it all correctly, the exam period is a couple of weeks. The education board is free to re-arrange in what order exams are scheduled and the days any way they want. Ramadan is only 11 days. So there's days in the exam period that isn't concurrent with Ramadan. What they did was that they put the most popular exams during those days. But there's still plenty of exams that is on Ramadan.

IMHO not doing this would be to go out of their way to be dicks. Re-arranging it for the Muslim's benefit is zero cost. So why not? I really can't see a problem here. Sounds like BNP hysteria to me.

It may be a problem for non muslims to have their exam schedule fucked about to indulge some newly imported third world superstitious mumbo jumbo.

If I've understood it all correctly, the exam period is a couple of weeks. The education board is free to re-arrange in what order exams are scheduled and the days any way they want. Ramadan is only 11 days. So there's days in the exam period that isn't concurrent with Ramadan. What they did was that they put the most popular exams during those days. But there's still plenty of exams that is on Ramadan.

IMHO not doing this would be to go out of their way to be dicks. Re-arranging it for the Muslim's benefit is zero cost. So why not? I really can't see a problem here. Sounds like BNP hysteria to me.

It may be a problem for non muslims to have their exam schedule fucked about to indulge some newly imported third world superstitious mumbo jumbo.

But it's not being fucked about. Not more than usual. This re-shuffeling has zero cost.

Sure it's a newly imported third world superstition. I will not argue that. But why harass them for it? Being a dick towards them because they are Muslim is harassment. Do you think that will help them see the atheist light?

But it's not being fucked about. Not more than usual. This re-shuffeling has zero cost.

Oh but it is being fucked about.

Sure it's a newly imported third world superstition. I will not argue that. But why harass them for it? Being a dick towards them because they are Muslim is harassment. Do you think that will help them see the atheist light?

It doesn't matter. It's a silly third world superstition, let them deal with it. Why should the non religious have to deal with their nonsense ? To be polite ? The education system has no problem suppressing the nativity from schools plays but now they want to reschedule exams around this newly imported mumbo jumbo ?

It doesn't matter. It's a silly third world superstition, let them deal with it. Why should the non religious have to deal with their nonsense ? To be polite ? The education system has no problem suppressing the nativity from schools plays but now they want to reschedule exams around this newly imported mumbo jumbo ?

You're like a dad who insists on ordering all food at the restaurant for his family because he knows what they want best. Perhaps, true, but everybody might as well order by themselves. He's lost nothing.

You are aware that when you say, "let them deal with it" you are the problem you want them to deal with. You're making yourself the problem and then scoff at them for having an issue with it. Isn't it better to not be a problem for other people? Especially in situations when it shouldn't matter a damn to you?

If this would have negatively impacted non-Muslims you may have a case. But there's no victims here. Nobody has been inconvenienced. They did NOT move the exam period. They just shuffled them around a bit within the same exam period they've always had.

You're like a {snip utter garbage}

I'm like a lot of things but I am most like an atheist who doesn't feel obliged to pander to third world mumbo jumbo just to be polite.

I'm like a lot of things but I am most like an atheist who doesn't feel obliged to pander to third world mumbo jumbo just to be polite.

Good thing you live in West Hollywood, then, where you may stomp your feet red at the prospect of accommodating people who aren't you.

Another way to say that is you being an intransigent dick, for no reason other than the joy of annoying others.

You don't have to be polite; Nor do you have to care if others think you are impolite; But don't blame your rudeness on your atheism.

What is the cost to any atheist if the exams are scheduled to fall outside Ramadan? How much additional effort does this impose on the guy doing the scheduling?

When you go out of your way to inconvenience others, just because you can, then you are being a dick. If you are doing it out of a dislike for their religious beliefs, then you are being an anti-theist dick. A mere atheist wouldn't give a shit either way.

Changing it for any reason, even when it is not inconvenient, is a bad move. Be the big dog and keep these muzzies in their place.

Yeah, they use a lunar calendar without correction. Since lunar months don't evenly divide solar years this causes a schedule creep.

It's the same thing that causes Easter to move around but Easter keeps getting corrected so it says in the same part of the year.

The worst possible thing that could happen is them behaving until they just outbreed us. But they don't have enough patience these young guys.

The worst possible thing that could happen is them behaving until they just outbreed us. But they don't have enough patience these young guys.

Who are 'us' in this context? You and the mouse in your pocket?

Who are 'them'?

Why would you imagine that defining sides, and lumping a huge number of people in with a small number of criminals (on both sides) would be anything other than counterproductive?

There are not two sides here; there are three. A few percent of racist authoritarian fuckwits; A few percent of violent criminals; And a massive supermajority of reasonable people who just want to live an ordinary life without being abused by the fucking numpties in the other two groups.

Take your dangerous and idiotic false dichotomies, and fuck off.

I have no more desire to live in a racist police state, where my freedom is curtailed in the name of counter-terrorism, than I do to be the target of terrorism. You don't get to define everyone as either a sympathizer with Islamic extremist terrorism, or a fellow racist authoritarian. A pox on both your houses.

The cost is not zero. The shuffling puts the exams closer together for more students, that makes it harder on the students.

The cost is not zero. The shuffling puts the exams closer together for more students, that makes it harder on the students.

No it doesn't. The exams are still spread out. Only the most popular exams are put in the time slot that doesn't overlap with Ramadan. They'll still need to study for all of them. During the exam period they'll still need to study just as much as any year.

No it doesn't. The exams are still spread out. Only the most popular exams are put in the time slot that doesn't overlap with Ramadan. They'll still need to study for all of them. During the exam period they'll still need to study just as much as any year.

That means the majority of the exam-taking is in the time slot that doesn't overlap Ramadan. Students are more likely to have exams closer together than normal.

That means the majority of the exam-taking is in the time slot that doesn't overlap Ramadan. Students are more likely to have exams closer together than normal.

No, it's really not. I don't think you've thought this through. They've got a bunch of slots for the exams. Any exam can go into any slot. The slots are spread out over the exam period. Basically back to back. The entire exam period. It's like a cue system. You're arguing that the cashier has to work harder depending on where various people are standing in the cue. It doesn't matter where certain people stand in the cue. The cashier still doesn't have to work harder. The work is the same. The only thing that changes is the order of the customers.

That's why it's only a problem for exams certain years. Moving the exam period completely is a non-solution, since sooner or later it'll clash with Ramadan

F....k Ramadan, or any other re!igious rite! Why should the rest of society make allowences for such bullshit!

No, it's really not. I don't think you've thought this through. They've got a bunch of slots for the exams. Any exam can go into any slot. The slots are spread out over the exam period. Basically back to back. The entire exam period. It's like a cue system. You're arguing that the cashier has to work harder depending on where various people are standing in the cue. It doesn't matter where certain people stand in the cue. The cashier still doesn't have to work harder. The work is the same. The only thing that changes is the order of the customers.

No. You are assuming the customers (the exams) are all the same. They're not--some have fuller carts (the more popular exams) than others.

The whole point of it was to minimize the number of people taking an exam during Ramadan--that inherently implies that more people are taking an exam in the time that's not Ramadan. Your model would be fine if students took only one exam but they don't. 4 or 5 exams spread over 10 days is a lot easier than 4 or 5 exams spread over 5 days.

No. You are assuming the customers (the exams) are all the same. They're not--some have fuller carts (the more popular exams) than others.

The whole point of it was to minimize the number of people taking an exam during Ramadan--that inherently implies that more people are taking an exam in the time that's not Ramadan. Your model would be fine if students took only one exam but they don't. 4 or 5 exams spread over 10 days is a lot easier than 4 or 5 exams spread over 5 days.

You haven't paid attention. They're NOT squishing together more exams in less time. At no point have they said this. The number of exams you take are the same regardles of what order they're in. They're spaced out the same during the exam period. All they've done is re-arranged the order. For non-Muslims students it won't make any difference. Which was the point of doing this.

- - - Updated - - -

F....k Ramadan, or any other re!igious rite! Why should the rest of society make allowences for such bullshit!

But they haven't. They just re-arranged the order to better work for the Muslims. The order of the exams makes no difference to the people taking the exams. For non-Muslims nothing meaningful has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom