• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Famous Quotes Revised

Starman

Basic Beliefs
Christian
"Life is nasty, brutish, and short." - Thomas Hobbes

Paraphrased:

"Life is nasty, brutish, and short, and so are feminists."

Yeah, that is, indeed, freethinking humor at its finest. You outdo yourself, sirrah.
Or out doo-doo yourself, maybe.

Yeah, that is, indeed, freethinking humor at its finest. You outdo yourself, sirrah.
Or out doo-doo yourself, maybe.

That's a pretty crappy comeback there Keith&Co. :p

Well said, gmb. Well said indeed. He can't even stick to the subject, given as he is to personal attacks.

Can someone please follow up with an original idea, based on the topic? Is this too much to ask of "free thinkers"?

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Paraphrased:

You should look up 'paraphrased' in the dictionary.

"Paraphrase: a rewording of something written or spoken by someone else." (google.com)

"I am no one to be trifled with."

You, clearly are someone to be trifled with.

Touche.

"Paraphrase: a rewording of something written or spoken by someone else." (google.com)
But you used it as a verb.
The google verb definition of paraphrase: express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity

You failed to express the meaning of the original in different words. Rather, you added words to give it a different meaning.

So you did not 'paraphrased' the quote.

And puns apparently go over your head....

Paraphrased:

Them thar feminists are mean! You're so oppressed! You must cry yourself to sleep every night from the persecution!

You have my sympathy, sir. It can't be easy to endure all that emotional trauma.

Can someone please follow up with an original idea, based on the topic? Is this too much to ask of "free thinkers"?
No problemo. Here's one:

"Look, the life of gnomes and goblins is nasty, brutish and short. So are they."

-- Terry Pratchett, "The Light Fantastic", 1986​

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Paraphrased:

You should look up 'paraphrased' in the dictionary.

"I am no one to be trifled with."

You, clearly are someone to be trifled with.

Touche.
Paraphrase is to put a larger statement into a brief, but concise context, statement.

You went out of your way to try and create a thread in order to be able to post something to get a rise out of people and then feign insult when called out on it.

To paraphrase:

You are trolling.

Along those lines, I was listening yesterday to a 60-Second Science podcast about FARS (feline audiogenic reflex seizing, a type of sound-induced epilepsy that cats can get when they get old). They ended with, "...this cure might allow the cats to be full of sound, and furry." Groan.

Paraphrased:
Them thar feminists are mean! You're so oppressed! You must cry yourself to sleep every night from the persecution!
You have my sympathy, sir. It can't be easy to endure all that emotional trauma.

1. It's a joke, Chicago. I know you kowtow to those manly women, and have to look over both shoulders before speaking, to be sure you're politically correct.
But here's a clue. Feminists are more than welcome to tell jokes about men. Dirty shirts, holes in our underwear, sexual animals. Fine by me. Tell all the jokes you want.
I won't whine like you are, little girlyman.
2. Jokes are not remotely traumatic. You're the one with your panties in a bunch. Men can laugh at feminists, and metrosexuals.
You, on the other hand, have to take everything as seriously as Gloria Allred and Maxine Yoogly Waters.

I addressed Gloria Allred on the radio one morning. She dropped the ball and changed callers as quickly as she could, after providing a very lame response to my legitimate challenge to *feminists* , a one-word oxymoron. They're not remotely feminine.

Starman, I'm a feminist, but I would have laughed at your joke if it had been funny. However it was just an attempt to goad, no wit attached.

Just as the post above is a collection of insults which doesn't attempt to discuss any issue nor refine any point.

If you have a point to make think it through, define your terms and go and play in the politics forum where adversary discussion belongs.

1. It's a joke, Chicago. I know you kowtow to those manly women, and have to look over both shoulders before speaking, to be sure you're politically correct.
But here's a clue. Feminists are more than welcome to tell jokes about men. Dirty shirts, holes in our underwear, sexual animals. Fine by me. Tell all the jokes you want.
I won't whine like you are, little girlyman.
2. Jokes are not remotely traumatic. You're the one with your panties in a bunch. Men can laugh at feminists, and metrosexuals.
You, on the other hand, have to take everything as seriously as Gloria Allred and Maxine Yoogly Waters.

I addressed Gloria Allred on the radio one morning. She dropped the ball and changed callers as quickly as she could, after providing a very lame response to my legitimate challenge to *feminists* , a one-word oxymoron. They're not remotely feminine.

So....it's a joke, not to be taken seriously. But also, it's what you seriously think about feminists.
Here's a hint, Starman. It's not 'a joke' if it's what you say, anyway. That's just a statement.

Starman, I'm a feminist, but I would have laughed at your joke if it had been funny. However it was just an attempt to goad, no wit attached.

Just as the post above is a collection of insults which doesn't attempt to discuss any issue nor refine any point.

Wow, how *insightful* of you. All jokes "discuss issues and refine points" do they? Why don't you provide some examples of your "insightful" jokes.
I can't wait to read them. This is a JOKE, which I created from a famous quotation. You should try originality and humor some time. It might
ease some of your feminist bitterness. But I repeat myself.

If you have a point to make think it through, define your terms and go and play in the politics forum where adversary discussion belongs.

You're the adversary here, not me. You MIGHT have responded with a joke about men, straight, REAL men. Dirty underwear. Tee shirts with holes in them.
Messy. But no, you have to derail the thread, just like all your PC atheist pals do constantly.

No wonder nobody stays around here except for atheists and left-wingers.

Who said "You can't be a real feminist without being a lesbian"? Man-haters have been spewing such bile for decades, and what has it gotten
them? More misery, more anger, and more loneliness.

"Someone, somewhere, LOVE ME!" - Atheist Madeline Murray O'Hare

All jokes "discuss issues and refine points" do they?
Reading comprehension failure.
He didn't say that about 'all jokes,' he said that about your post trying to defend your eagle-claws joke end-claws. It didn't defend shit, just piled more insults onto the thread.

You can try to be funny or you can try to send a message. There's an old maxim in theatre, if you're trying to send a message, use Western Union.

Your jokes just aren't.

Back
Top Bottom