• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fast Food

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Is there any fast food you like? I might eat FF once or twice a month or on longish road trip to visit out of town relatives. My wife, at least twice a week on her way to or from Midland where she works.

McDonalds: The only sandwiches I really like are the Filet o Fish and the McChicken. The FoF is too expensive unless it's on a BOGO special.

Burger King: I occasionally enjoy a Whopper with cheese, and their Big King is superior to the Big Mac, which it copies.

Wendy's: I usually get a Double with a chili.

Checkers/Rallys: The Big Buford. It's like a greasy bar burger.

Chicken sandwiches: The only one I've ever actually liked was the KFC chicken sandwich, McChicken aside. I've only had it once.

French Fries: I generally don't care for french fries but I like McDonalds and Rally's seasoned fries are quite good. I noticed recently you can get Rally's fries frozen in grocery stores now.

Your choices?

Used to do McD's, BK and Carl's Jr mostly, but I've switched to Jack in the Box, as prices are better. Jumbo Jack combo is good and fairly inexpensive by today's standards. But mostly, I get a side salad and 4 tacos there for about $6. Yum. Trying to get off the burgers and fries train.

Don't know if you guys have El Pollo Loco, but that's really good and prices are decent. Not sure if that counts as FF though.

We have about 10 fast food places within a two minute drive of our house, and a McDonalds a one minute drive away. Since the pandemic started McDonalds has become a thing to do. I get out of the house for a few minutes and some fresh air.

Before I became a pescetarian earlier this year I'd make the rounds to different chains, but now the Filet-o-Fish is about all I can eat. Not a fan of plant-based meat.

The location we do the most is a smaller-scale, local chain called The Piping Kettle, soup and sandwiches. It works as an actual meal, and there are plenty of solid veg and vegan options. There's also a decent Shawarma place around the corner that we do sometimes, but it's a little pricier.

Subway beef sandwich. Everything but jalepinos. Ocassionally, tuna fish.
Subway I usually do the cold cut combo. All turkey based meats. I usually order double meat. Makes it a little pricey but I get two meals out of it that way.

Never had a Carl's Jr/Hardees. We have one but it's way over on the other side of town. The same with Popeyes.

Culver's fried fish is quite good. And their deluxe chili is quite good too. They're a little on the pricier side too.

Used to do McD's, BK and Carl's Jr mostly, but I've switched to Jack in the Box, as prices are better. Jumbo Jack combo is good and fairly inexpensive by today's standards. But mostly, I get a side salad and 4 tacos there for about $6. Yum. Trying to get off the burgers and fries train.

Don't know if you guys have El Pollo Loco, but that's really good and prices are decent. Not sure if that counts as FF though.
If you have to look up at the menu, it counts.

I used to go to a little hole in the wall called El Maguey in San Diego for a wet burrito. That was a favorite.

Chick-fil-A is good. They’re kind of like In-N-Out burger in that the people who work there are oddly nice for fast food employees. I think they’re on something. But they have waffle fries. Waffle fries are fun.

I have not been in a fast food place like Burger King in a long time, can't remember the last time.

When I was still driving there is a local burger chain called Kidd Valley I went to once in a while. Burgers are made fresh. Five Guys makes fresh burgers and fresh fries.

Ivars in Seattle area for fish and chips and clam chowder.

Hardess is a blast from the past.

White Castle in the NYC area. You got a bag or box of small burgers.

McD type food just does not appeal to me.

PCC is a natural food chain in the area, a sort of coop. When I walk past in downtown Seattle I might pick up a silce of pizza. They have a hot and cold buffet by the pound.

Subway I usually do the cold cut combo. All turkey based meats. I usually order double meat. Makes it a little pricey but I get two meals out of it that way.

They say processed meats like that are pretty unhealthy in a number of ways, my wife and I usually avoid them altogether.

They say processed meats like that are pretty unhealthy in a number of ways, my wife and I usually avoid them altogether.
You're worried about health in a thread about fast food?

You're worried about health in a thread about fast food?

Just thought I'd mention it. I think it's colorectal cancer risk .. I don't worry too much about the health risks of of regular red meat.

I am not very fond of the genre. If I do fast food, it's usually a Chipotle burrito or a Panera soup bowl if I've been held up late at work.

I used to eat at Arby's every once in a while. It wasn't bad and at least wasn't fried. I agree that Subway is also a good alternative. Once or twice a year I'll indulge on a hamburger at a local (statewide) chain called Whataburger. Patrick Mahomes, quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs football team, is from Texas, and so missed Whataburger that he arranged to have a couple of franchises open in the Kansas City area. There's also a local fried chicken chain called Chicken Express that I'll visit once in a while. I'm a sucker for chicken tenders.

I am not very fond of the genre. If I do fast food, it's usually a Chipotle burrito or a Panera soup bowl if I've been held up late at work.
I like Panera but the food is wildly overpriced.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so that describes pretty much all food available to me.

Not really. That is what decent food costs. Panera's Mediterranean sandwich is one of the best veggie sandwiches out there.

Not really. That is what decent food costs. Panera's Mediterranean sandwich is one of the best veggie sandwiches out there.

Yep. I completely over-hauled my diet this year and it's quite a bit more expensive. Once you realize that the entire food industry wants to sell you cheap meat and carbs, it's hard to unsee.

It's a first world problem for my wife and I now as we want to get out of the house and dine out, but our own cooking is about 20x better and healthier than every restaurant in the city.

My brief impression, when visiting the US, is that basic food is incredibly cheap, but good food is incredibly expensive.

That's a pattern I had previously associated only with developing nations.

I tried a fast food place called Core Life a couple times, some years back. It was healthy fast food to say the least. Very little fat or carbs. I found myself wondering if I was hungrier coming out than when I went in to the place.
I think others had the same impression. It looks like they’ve since changed up their menu some.

My brief impression, when visiting the US, is that basic food is incredibly cheap, but good food is incredibly expensive.

That's a pattern I had previously associated only with developing nations.
We've been coasting on inventing massive scale democracy for a while, and have let other things kind of go to heck.

It certainly does seem a bit hard to grip how a hamburger which required raising a large animal for years between a cheap bun, lettuce is somehow cheaper than a sandwich with veggies in it. Granted, there is a bit more than that, feta cheese, hummus, the bread is artesian. Mass produced, just not as cheaply mass produced.

Back
Top Bottom