• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fast Food

I am not very fond of the genre. If I do fast food, it's usually a Chipotle burrito or a Panera soup bowl if I've been held up late at work.
I like Panera but the food is wildly overpriced.
Not really. That is what decent food costs. Panera's Mediterranean sandwich is one of the best veggie sandwiches out there.
My brief impression, when visiting the US, is that basic food is incredibly cheap, but good food is incredibly expensive.

That's a pattern I had previously associated only with developing nations.
We've been coasting on inventing massive scale democracy for a while, and have let other things kind of go to heck.

It certainly does seem a bit hard to grip how a hamburger which required raising a large animal for years between a cheap bun, lettuce is somehow cheaper than a sandwich with veggies in it. Granted, there is a bit more than that, feta cheese, hummus, the bread is artesian. Mass produced, just not as cheaply mass produced.

I wonder if storage has something to do with it as well. Vegetables spoil quickly and a lot of them can't be frozen. It's hard to imagine many products at a McDonalds that aren't suitable for long-term storage.

At the soup and sandwich place I visit they discount their soups at the end of the day or else it just goes to waste. I imagine some of the big burger chains have their process down to a science, which gets passed on to the consumer.

I'll stop at a Waffle House or Cracker Barrel if I'm on the road. Haven't been to a McD, BK or Arbys in over a decade.

I'll stop at a Waffle House or Cracker Barrel if I'm on the road. Haven't been to a McD, BK or Arbys in over a decade.

I really need to go that way. I likely wouldn't have a hard time of it if there weren't so many locations, so close to us.

The temptation when I'm hungry and don't feel like cooking is real.

Freddy's burgers are great. Their fries too.

They had a special, for awhile, with hatch green chili. Awesome. I kept ordering it after the special ended, and they kept serving it.

Then I went to a different Freddy's, and the woman didn't know what I was talking about.
I said, "Talk to your manager."
She came back smiling, "It's on the regional menu. It's kind of a secret menu."

Kansas must be in a different region (I live in Colorado), because when I order my "hatch green chili double cheeseburger with pepper-jack cheese instead of American," no amount of explaining makes their blank looks go away.

Freddy%E2%80%99s-Frozen-Custard-Steakburgers-Menu-Prices.jpg

Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers

I miss having a good Greek restaurant nearby. A souvlaki plate and a Heinekin was always a good treat. I used to stop by a food court near my bank that had a teriyaki place where I could get hot grilled vegtables and grilled teriyaki chicken. It finally closed for good. I miss the grilled veggies.

Wendy's was better and cheaper, although we rarely do fast foods.
Wendy's burgers are pretty good for fast food.
Not only that but I can get a combo for 4 dollars that includes a small burger, fries, 4 little chicken tenders and a drink. The tenders aren't great but the dipping sauce is tasty enough to make up for that. For 5 dollars, you get a bigger burger. The small one is plenty for me, and like you said, they aren't too bad for fast food.

Wendy's was better and cheaper, although we rarely do fast foods.
Wendy's burgers are pretty good for fast food.
Not only that but I can get a combo for 4 dollars that includes a small burger, fries, 4 little chicken tenders and a drink. The tenders aren't great but the dipping sauce is tasty enough to make up for that. For 5 dollars, you get a bigger burger. The small one is plenty for me, and like you said, they aren't too bad for fast food.
I like their chili too.

My wife loves Culver's. It's kinda like sit down restaurant food you can get through the drive thru. They have roast beef, fish and chips, and hot vegetables. I've had the fish. It was pretty good. It's close to sit down restaurant prices though.

I very rarely eat fast food, when I do, it's often a McDonald's or Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich, or if I'm really squeezed for cash, just regular Cheeseburgers from McDonald's. Once in a while I'll get several supreme hard tacos from Taco Bell, or a double from Wendy's. I have gout, so I have to watch my red meat intake pretty closely.

If your local Subway has breakfast, at least try it. Their flat bread is actually a stretchy wrap, with the consistency of a nice, chewy crepe, and the breakfast sub here is about $4. The coffee sucks, so I get that elsewhere and dine in the comfort of my Prius, with the assistance of a 2-year-old dachshund named Bogie.

Back
Top Bottom