• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fear of God - It's what makes us nicer: Study

Empirical evidence. It's just a feeling.
Verification. It's just a feeling.
Truth. It's just a feeling.
Ok, now make an argument that justifies those assertions.

With the Feeling definitions below .. Lion is indeed right about 'Its just a feeling' after all.

sensation , sense , sensitivity , touch , awareness , excitement , feel , pain , perception ,pleasure , reaction , activity , consciousness , enjoyment , excitability , excitation , innervation , motility , perceiving , receptivity , reflex , responsiveness , sensibility ,sensuality , tactility , tangibility , titillation , motor response , emotion , sentiment, mood,impression , response , often strong , affection , appreciation ,behavior , compassion,concern , culture , intensity , passion , spirit , sympathy , taste , understanding , warmth,action , ardor , capacity , cultivation , delicacy , discernment , discrimination , empathy,faculty , fondness, heat , imagination , intelligence , intuition , judgment , keenness ,palpability , pathos , pity , refinement , sentimentality , sharpness , tenderness , opinion , view , point of view , belief , consideration , attitude , idea , apprehension ,instinct,notion , suspicion , thought , conviction , inclination , inkling , mind , outlook , persuasion,presentiment , regard , attachment ,love , gut reaction , atmosphere , ambiance , quality,air , aura , character , ambience , imprint , semblance , susceptive , sensatory , tuned in,sensitive to, impressionable , meaningful and so on.

I don't need to make an argument.
If migrant said it then that's enough.
If someone has 'a feeling' that migrant's 'feeling' is not the appropriate 'feeling' then they can tell zir themself.

Ok, now make an argument that justifies those assertions.

With the Feeling definitions below .. Lion is indeed right about 'Its just a feeling' after all.

sensation , sense , sensitivity , touch , awareness , excitement , feel , pain , perception ,pleasure , reaction , activity , consciousness , enjoyment , excitability , excitation , innervation , motility , perceiving , receptivity , reflex , responsiveness , sensibility ,sensuality , tactility , tangibility , titillation , motor response , emotion , sentiment, mood,impression , response , often strong , affection , appreciation ,behavior , compassion,concern , culture , intensity , passion , spirit , sympathy , taste , understanding , warmth,action , ardor , capacity , cultivation , delicacy , discernment , discrimination , empathy,faculty , fondness, heat , imagination , intelligence , intuition , judgment , keenness ,palpability , pathos , pity , refinement , sentimentality , sharpness , tenderness , opinion , view , point of view , belief , consideration , attitude , idea , apprehension ,instinct,notion , suspicion , thought , conviction , inclination , inkling , mind , outlook , persuasion,presentiment , regard , attachment ,love , gut reaction , atmosphere , ambiance , quality,air , aura , character , ambience , imprint , semblance , susceptive , sensatory , tuned in,sensitive to, impressionable , meaningful and so on.

That's not an argument and not a definition either. You have to pick which of those is meant in the given context to mean anything. You can't see that you clarified absolutely nothing?

Doesn't learning interest you at all, "Learner"?

I'm not 'certain' that zie did. But since certainty is just a feeling what difference does it make?
#post_truth

That's not an argument and not a definition either. You have to pick which of those is meant in the given context to mean anything. You can't see that you clarified absolutely nothing?

I was just high lighting ... " Its just a feeling"... is not a limited phrase as we usually expect like we see in the phrase "Its just a guess" and not make a good argument. But yes you could pick several words 'within the same context' and make a fairly good argument imo.
Doesn't learning interest you at all, "Learner"?

Well I have at least just learn't that there are more words and definitions than I ever expected for the word 'feeling'.

I'm not 'certain' that zie did. But since certainty is just a feeling what difference does it make?
#post_truth

Oh, for fuck's sake. Adding "post truth" must be that wacky religious humor.

Certainty is a feeling, something some people experience after they've come to a conclusion about something.

How you come to that conclusion is what is questionable here. If the methods of science and critical thinking do not suit your efforts at finding truth, please tell us what your methods are.

#post_truth
If anyone’s certain about some empirical evidence, then the certainty and the things that are empirical evidence are different things. Same with verification. Same with truth. If you feel certain about anything, the certainty exists nowhere else than in your feelings (defined as emotions, sentiments).

So. Is it true that migrant said that empirical evidence, or verification, or truth, is a feeling? Or did YOU say that?

Even if all this is from poor education and mental confusion on your part, still you're the one that loses something by evading and not putting a better effort in. Truth matters.

Certainty is a feeling, something some people experience after they've come to a conclusion about something.

How you come to that conclusion is what is questionable here. If the methods of science and critical thinking do not suit your efforts....
Ehh, come on. Obviously religious certainty is greater in magnitude than scientific certainty, it's just of the 99.9999999999999999% utterly fucking wrong about everything they are certain about variety of certainty.

Hmph. I very much doubt that was intended by its author as a tribute to certainty.

Here's a fuller quote: “I am very devout, but I don’t have certainty or conviction. The opposite of faith isn’t doubt; it’s certainty." ~ Anne Lamott. From here, for the fullest context.

This is how we know if our feelings and speculations are true -- we look at the world and find corroboration. Feelings for a lovely sunset or about what I'd like for dinner are true. Feelings about what is present elsewhere in the universe are not.

Fear is not necessarily a bad thing.
I'm careful around sharp objects because I fear getting stabbed/cut.
I fear plenty of things for good reason.

Christians fearing Jews led to the Nazi holocaust. Also countless pogroms in Eastern Europe. As well as their expulsion from Spain.

That was all because of the religion of peace and forgiveness.

It's my pleasure.

Would it help you to remember that certainty is just a feeling?

Empirical evidence. It's just a feeling.
Verification. It's just a feeling.
Truth. It's just a feeling.

Not just a feeling.
Santa Claus, as he's known today, is an imaginary character. There is no fat guy flying around the world in a sleigh giving away toys, and so on and so forth.
Some kids believe. Others doubt his existence, and yet others KNOW THE TRUTH. There's no "feeling". You know because you pretended to be Santa Claus, and it was you who placed the toys around the tree while the others were sleeping. (Not me, I never fed my kids that BS)
If you KNOW the truth, there's no feeling, there's no doubt, only certainty. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom