• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Federal troops helping suppress protests in Portland OR

If these masked, camo federal agents do not show ID, couldn't a civilian rightly blow them away in self defense claiming they thought the agents were bugaloo boys or other white supremacists assholes?
Pretty much, yes.

It would be hard for the authorities to argue that 'stand your ground' or self defense wasn't warranted, especially if there's video.

If these masked, camo federal agents do not show ID, couldn't a civilian rightly blow them away in self defense claiming they thought the agents were bugaloo boys or other white supremacists assholes?
Pretty much, yes.

It would be hard for the authorities to argue that 'stand your ground' or self defense wasn't warranted, especially if there's video.

Yup. You would have the best legal defence in the whole cemetery.

Pretty much, yes.

Yup. You would have the best legal defence in the whole cemetery.
Meh, as long as you take more than one with you.

A quick google search found this "big sale" for 10,000 mw (10 Watt) 520nm laser pointers for $99.99.

https://www.laserpointerpro.com/10000mw-520nm-burning-high-power-green-laser-pointer-kits-p-3908.html?currency=usd

There are many more internet shops selling high power laser pointers that came up in the search.

Try searching "laser pointer" in google shopping.

Wow! I didn't realize that kind of power was possible in a handheld laser. From reading that page the cooling is inadequate, run it too long and you'll damage it with overheating.
I too was surprised a few years ago. The complaints by airline pilots at the time didn't make sense to me. At thousands of feet altitude, the atmospheric scattering of a beam from a Radio Shack laiser from the ground should make the beam, at most, a little nuisance if noticed, certainly not "blinding" as they were complaining. A little research informed me that laser technology and consumer products wasn't where I thought it was.

As I understand, pointing a laser at an aircraft is now a felony.

The biggest handheld I was aware of was 1 watt. That page had 50 watt lasers, some specifically labeled as "burning".

What fucking idiocy! Yea, you be John Wayne. Or do you see yourself as Rambo?

Nah, the person alluded to sees him/herself as a terminally ill ideologue with training in the use of automatic weapons, and a National Hero in the making.

I'm actually quite surprised that someone hasn't used an AR or AK and taken out a bunch of these stormtroopers yet.

If these were right-wingers being attacked by bonespurs private army, I'm sure it would have happened already.

I'm actually quite surprised that someone hasn't used an AR or AK and taken out a bunch of these stormtroopers yet.

I doubt too many Portlanders own the evil "assault weapons".
But in Austin Texas, some #BLM protesters have been toting "assault weapons". For example this young man with his AK-47, probably named "Charlene" (and yes, I know the real Charlene was an M14).

Garrett Foster got shot with a handgun after he apparently raised his AK-47 at a motorist.

If these were right-wingers being attacked by bonespurs private army, I'm sure it would have happened already.
Maybe, maybe not.

Back to Portland, this is going to be an awkward Thanksgiving.

Trump-loving grandma outs Portland ‘bomber’ to feds — and it’s her own grandson

NY Post said:
A Trump-loving, 69-year-old woman soon stepped forward to out the suspect publicly — as her own grandson.
Karla Fox says she recognized the alleged bomber as her daughter’s son, 18-year-old Gabriel “Rico” Agard-Berryhill.
[...]
Fox instantly identified her grandson because she gave him the vest.
“I bought the vest for him after he found one online after getting hit with rubber bullets the night before at the protest,” Fox told The Post. (She even left a positive review on clothing site Hibbett: “I got this for my grandson who’s a protester downtown, he uses it every night and says it does the job.”) She posted a photo of him posing in the $26 non-bulletproof apparel.

Awkward!

But why is he using "allegedly" when talking about what he did?
“The device I’ve been accused of allegedly throwing was allegedly given to me by an unknown protestor with full face coverings,” he wrote. “I was allegedly told that it was a strobe firework that wouldn’t damage the building or harm anyone around it.”

That's worse than "ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury".

I find the kid's description of the device, combined with the reported size of the explosion rather interesting.

I allegedly agree with you.

What is the volume of a "small V8 can" compared to a hand grenade? As I recall from my long ago days in the Army, a hand grenade is a little smaller than a baseball.

What is the volume of a "small V8 can" compared to a hand grenade? As I recall from my long ago days in the Army, a hand grenade is a little smaller than a baseball.
I just did some quick calculations. A regulation baseball is about 55-60 mL (cm3) in volume, surely smaller than even the smallest V8 juice cans (probably around 150 mL). It really depends on what kind of filling is inside. I can buy that he was surprised at the power of the device if he was really handed it. Still a criminally stupid thing to do, though.

Back
Top Bottom