• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Female vs Male Psychology

rousseau

Contributor
Thought it'd make for an interesting thread to compare and contrast the nature of men and women.

- are men and women actually different?
- if so how?

Before getting into it myself and throwing the thread down certain paths, I'll leave it open to anyone who wants to comment.

Thought it'd make for an interesting thread to compare and contrast the nature of men and women.

- are men and women actually different?
- if so how?

Before getting into it myself and throwing the thread down certain paths, I'll leave it open to anyone who wants to comment.

I have several friends who have worked in pre-school and daycare centers for over 20 years. They have observed hundreds of children from infant to four years old. They all say there is a distinct difference in boys and girls, but it does not appear until the time the child starts to crawl and is able to interact with other children. By the time the child can stand and take a few steps, most boys are quite distinct from the girls, and vice versa.

There is always some element of nature vs. nurture in this kind of discussion. It may be impossible to treat a baby boy exactly like a baby girl, so there in no effective control group for comparison. Even so, the observations are amazingly consistent, year after year.

Whatever differences there are in male and female psychology, the differences show at a very early age, which means there is most likely a physical difference from birth. Whatever this difference maybe, we have yet to find an identifiable sexual differentiation between male and female brains. There is a difference in the size of certain brain structures, but the size is the only visible difference. There is a large overlap, such that it's not possible to identify a disembodied brain as male or female with certainty, by looking at the structure.

Hard to say if little girls and boys are different because of the nature vs nurture thing.

They may be extremely alike when young but only start to act differently because their parents and other people treat them differently because of their gender.

Extremely generally speaking, I think women tend to be more “people people” and men more “things people”. Women listen in a convo to get how the other person is feeling and how they view things, so they can relate and say comparable things and there can be a meeting of the minds. Men listen to analyze what’s being said, to get the concept that’s coming out of the person’s mouth without so much regard about the person’s psychological status.

A woman's more likely to say "I understand! I know just where you're coming from!" where a man maybe more likely to say "Well, here's my advice on what I'd do about that".

I figured while in my first anthropology classes, before I was aware of evolutionary psychology (there were no classes in it at the time), that if you know how people would have to be to survive as hunter-gatherers then you know how people basically still are now. Women don’t roam the savanna stalking a prey, they stay in a group and need to be in constant verbal contact with one another, and feel how the others feel in order to keep things cordial. You see it today in a group of 3 or 4 woman carrying on two conversations between each other at the exact same time, any one of them able to switch instantly from the one convo into the other one and then back. (Among the most mind-blowing things I’ve ever seen!)

Guys might go hours without talking, and they probably have a less strong impulse to be texting with friends while alone (like, for example, while driving a car). Their convos may be a bit less spontaneous and less nuanced to account for feelings (I've always admired how diplomatically women speak without it seeming 'studied' at all), and nonverbal cues work when words seem needless and they tend to plan in advance what they’re going to say and what direction they think things should go. There’s often an aim beyond just a “meeting of the minds”.

There was a recent study of effect of testosterone on women. They found even single injection instantly makes them better at spatial navigation, ability which is linked to mathematical abilities.
In other studies it was found that women and men use different parts of the brain when solving the same task. In general women use different parts of the brain more equally, whereas men are more concentrated on certain specialized parts.
So it suggests that it's not so much about differences in the brain (which still exists) but about how it's used and hormones play a significant role.
So this explains why women are bad at mathematics and such, they can't turn off "feeling" part of the brain which interfere with "thinking" part of the brain. Men on the other hand have "feeling" part suppressed to begin with.

The chemical and structural environment of the brain effects function and behavioural output. There are probably no two brains that are the same, therefore no two that see the world or think or feel in the same way, regardless of gender.

The chemical and structural environment of the brain effects function and behavioural output. There are probably no two brains that are the same, therefore no two that see the world or think or feel in the same way, regardless of gender.
That's obvious thing to say. But still different brains can be clustered into two types.

That's obvious thing to say. But still different brains can be clustered into two types.

Working ones and conservatives? Wnen the last of our children was born, we decided to buy a dummy, which we never dreamed of before. 'Blue or white?' asked they. I was totally baffled, but when it was explained I understood how early 'gender' brainwashing begins.

Great video,

It shows how gender ideologues have lost the plot and are inflexible to reality.

Great video,

It shows how gender ideologues have lost the plot and are inflexible to reality.

The point for me at least is that you should not try to define, based on gender, how their personalities should evolve. For example, my in-laws denied my wife certain toys when she was a kid and gave her dolls instead, and told her to behave certain ways, like girls should.

Just watched the video, wow! These two Norwegian "scientists" are just scary. I suspect the point was to find best contrast, and they found it. They are flat out ridiculous ideologues.

Great video,

The point for me at least is that you should not try to define, based on gender, how their personalities should evolve. For example, my in-laws denied my wife certain toys when she was a kid and gave her dolls instead, and told her to behave certain ways, like girls should.
You mean it was THEIR point? How in the world is that their point? Transgenders all have this problem as kids, and they end up doing sex change operation. If it proves anything then it is exact opposite of their "theories" - you can't condition kids into something they are not born into, if a girl was born with a male brain she will be a man, eventually.

Something that ought to be pointed out whenever this subject comes up is that the psychological differences between men and women are means; there are no known psychological characteristics that are exclusive to one sex or the other.

Something that ought to be pointed out whenever this subject comes up is that the psychological differences between men and women are means; there are no known psychological characteristics that are exclusive to one sex or the other.
Another obvious observation.

Dave Allen opened a routine by saying men and women really do think differently.

A man and a woman are sitting at a bar.

Man: Madam, I will buy you a drink.
Woman: You will not.
Man: Then I will take you out to dinner.
Man: Afterwards I will take you back to my flat.
Man: There, I will make passionate love to you.
Man: And I will not use any protection.
Woman: You will.

There was a recent study of effect of testosterone on women. They found even single injection instantly makes them better at spatial navigation, ability which is linked to mathematical abilities.
In other studies it was found that women and men use different parts of the brain when solving the same task. In general women use different parts of the brain more equally, whereas men are more concentrated on certain specialized parts.
So it suggests that it's not so much about differences in the brain (which still exists) but about how it's used and hormones play a significant role.
So this explains why women are bad at mathematics and such, they can't turn off "feeling" part of the brain which interfere with "thinking" part of the brain. Men on the other hand have "feeling" part suppressed to begin with.

So what research are you referring to?

It has been shown that just thinking about how the they think men would have reasoned made women much better at maths snd dostial navigation,

It can be clustered in a number of ways: language shapes perception and thought, culture shapes values and their related behaviours, how culture organises gender roles in shapes how the brain responds according to gender expectations and so on. The brain is highly plastic, how it is used largely determines how it develops. How it is used is largely a matter of environment.

It can be clustered in a number of ways: language shapes perception and thought, culture shapes values and their related behaviours, how culture organises gender roles in shapes how the brain responds according to gender expectations and so on.
Studies have demonstrated that culture has nothing to to do with gender roles.
The brain is highly plastic, how it is used largely determines how it develops. How it is used is largely a matter of environment.
Studies have demonstrated that when it comes to gender specific things brain is incredibly rigid and unplastic. You can't turn a straight man into a gay, and you can't turn a nurse into an engineer.

It can be clustered in a number of ways: language shapes perception and thought, culture shapes values and their related behaviours, how culture organises gender roles in shapes how the brain responds according to gender expectations and so on.
Studies have demonstrated that culture has nothing to to do with gender roles.

Have they?

Abstract
''Three studies demonstrate how culture shapes the content of gender stereotypes, such that men are perceived as possessing more of whatever traits are culturally valued.

In Study 1, Americans rated men as less interdependent than women; Koreans, however, showed the opposite pattern, rating men as more interdependent than women, deviating from the “universal” gender stereotype of male independence.

In Study 2, bicultural Korean American participants rated men as less interdependent if they completed a survey in English, but as more interdependent if they completed the survey in Korean, demonstrating how cultural frames influence the contents of gender stereotypes.

In Study 3, American college students rated a male student as higher on whichever trait – ambitiousness or sociability – they were told was the most important cultural value at their university, establishing that cultural values causally impact the contents of gender stereotypes.''

You can't turn a straight man into a gay,

Being largely genetically determined, probably not.

and you can't turn a nurse into an engineer.

This is just a matter of study: information input. A nurse may, for whatever reason, decide to change careers.

Back
Top Bottom