• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Feminist Gamer Journalist Targeted For Terrorist Attack

Brianna Wu has friends in the media. She ignored the FBI's recommendation to not tell the people that you are leaving your home, and reported it to her friends in the media anyways. Said reporting has nothing to do with gamergate as they did not report the story to the media. As noted, the news media has yet to cover the gamergate supporters who have been threatened.

IMO most of the call-outs in that video aren't harassment by themselves, but the cumulative effect can feel like it. If you can't simply walk down the street without random guys shouting "Notice me!" at you, then you really can't have a nice quiet walk, can you? Especially when some guys get offended and start making less friendly comments when you just keep walking. And most especially when one of them insists on being noticed by stalking you for 5 minutes.

I agree that the incessant nature of this type of sexual harrassment is a large part of why even the mildest intrusion is still considered offensive. Moreover, when a woman is walking down the street wearing what Jessica Williams at the Daily Show called "bitch face", it means "don't bother me". The men catcalling know this - that's why so many of them comment on her expression. So even the most seemingly innocuous comment is the man telling the woman that his immediately needs/wants/desires are more important to him than her personal autonomy. That is never anything other than harrassment.

But my point in posting the article was not to derail the thread into a discussion about whether it is possible to catcall without being a harassing jackass. It was to point out that the woman in the video starting receiving rape threats just hours after the video was published. Just like #GamerGate. Just like ElevatorGate. Just like so many other situations that haven't received "gate" monikers.

A woman speaks out against sexual harassment, and receives sexual harassment as a response - yet the existence of wide-spread sexual harrassment against women is still denied.

How widespread is it? Do you have data on the number of troublemakers involved here? What percent is that compared to the overall number in the group?

Did you happen to notice the video in the link I posted, the one you have been referring to? They counted over 100 men in 10 hours. That's ten per hour. Ten men every hour who don't give a flying crap about the woman they are harassing. Is that widespread enough for YOU to give a shit?

- - - Updated - - -

The woman walking in New York is an interesting topic. I propose a split.

I agree. A split is in order

Fine by me.

*Going off to change into mod clothes* :D

Those 100 men sexually harassed her (which is a questionable claim in itself that all 100 cases were instances of sexual harassment, but we all know how the left loves to alter definitions to fit their agenda) because she was speaking out against sexual harassment? Or did you not understand the question I was asking in relation to the claim you made (which I quoted)? Who said anything about not giving a shit? Did you just make that up to malign and smear me and gain points with your tribe, which you have a consistent habit of doing? This is also golden coming from you who, earlier in this thread, dismissed threats coming from the anti-gamergaters as no big deal and excusing them because they weren't numerous or severe enough for you.

Last edited:
All the evidence indicates that people get harassed when they publicly advocate and advance a political agenda that is strongly opposed by another group, regardless of whether they are male or female, black or white.

Sam Harris, a white "privileged" male, has received death threats and other forms of harassment from Christians for his stance on Christianity, from Muslims for his stance on Islam, from the left for his stance on Islam, etc.

Right wing Christian political candidates who oppose gay rights and support a right-wing Christian agenda are harassed, sometimes in a very vulgar and sexual nature, and sometimes given death threats (see Rick Sanatorium for a prime example).

Richard Carrier gives a talk about atheism plus and is harassed (take a look at the youtube comments here. Some of them are sexual in nature. For example: "This man has no penis. Which is strange for a man named Dick Carrier."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2i3xxgv7U

Where is the evidence (not just anecdotal stuff), that a male advocating the exact same things is harassed far less or the harassment is much milder in comparison?

This is not to say that the harassment isn't a problem that needs to be dealt with (before someone tries to spin the topic like this). Rather that the harassment is somehow exclusively a male problem against females who speak up on feminist issues that the misogynistic males disagree with.

Back
Top Bottom