• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Finding Catholic Ritual Comical

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Is it just me or is it hard to watch Catholics with a straight face? Something as innocuous as a story about a cardinal just make me look at the robes and hats and chalices and gew gaws and frippery as just so.... goofy.

catholic_church-592x391.jpg

1280px-St_Albertus_Catholic_Church_Detroit_Interior.jpg

cardinals1.jpg

cardinal-roger-mahony-los-angeles-sexual-father-abuse-michael-baker-scandal-cover-up-aspergillu.jpeg

conclave.jpg

bishop2.jpg

well, you get the picture.

It's a bit like re-watching an old movie; The special effects always look laughably cheesy and awkward, even though at the time, they were impressive and state-of-the-art.

The Catholic rituals, costumes, and decorations, that wowed the masses in the Middle Ages, just don't cut it with modern audiences. Their cathedrals were once by far the tallest buildings in the world; their clothing, walls and windows were by far the most colourful things a peasant would ever see - to a man who lives with his wife, his four surviving children, and his cow, in a one-room windowless wattle and daub shack, and who can only afford undyed, low grade wool for his clothes, the medieval church was stunning and spectacular. To people who live in vibrant cities with skyscrapers, colour TV and movies, and cheap, brightly coloured plastic gewgaws freely available seven days a week, it all looks a bit overblown, garish and silly.

Well, I guess, it is your emotional attachment to the rites and rituals of the church. I know people who are moved to weep at a high mass. I know that the year I spent in Catholic school, I grow to see the garments of the nuns with fear and dread (although my teacher was cool and wore dashikis.)

Well, I guess, it is your emotional attachment to the rites and rituals of the church. I know people who are moved to weep at a high mass. I know that the year I spent in Catholic school, I grow to see the garments of the nuns with fear and dread (although my teacher was cool and wore dashikis.)

Maybe that's the real contrast here - if the emotional attachment is not there, it becomes truly garish. Back in the '70s, I used to have a copper-themed multi-colored polyester shirt with collar tabs that reached my armpits. I was so awesome in that thing, I chose it for my class picture. I mean - who wouldn't! I look back at that now and just laugh and laugh.

Maybe that's the real contrast here - if the emotional attachment is not there, it becomes truly garish. Back in the '70s, I used to have a copper-themed multi-colored polyester shirt with collar tabs that reached my armpits. I was so awesome in that thing, I chose it for my class picture. I mean - who wouldn't! I look back at that now and just laugh and laugh.

^^This.

If you are brought up with these things, they seem normal, and they evoke the emotional responses they are designed to evoke; The RC Church, like all successful religions, are excellent at pushing people's emotional buttons, particularly if they start brainwashing at a young age. The conditioned response - awe at high mass; fear of the nun's habit; embarrassment at passing the plate without adding to it - is very powerful and deeply ingrained.

It is the habit of all successful religions, cults and even states to brainwash their youth by hijacking the basic cognitive weaknesses of the human brain.

All those magic clothes they wear ought to say on the back, "There but for the stupidity of humans go I." And Yes, I also see it as laughable.

And remember, Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts, Rev. Ike, Ernest Angley reach that same level of god-Almighty freakathon zaniness, without the hats. (Although Pat would look good in a tall pointy wizard's hat.)

And remember, Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts, Rev. Ike, Ernest Angley reach that same level of god-Almighty freakathon zaniness, without the hats. (Although Pat would look good in a tall pointy wizard's hat.)
I really don't think they reach the same level of freakiness.
If nothing else, there's nothing like the scattered nations holding their breath waiting for the white smoke.

No, here in the US religious authorities get replaced with ritual, but it's
1) they're caught
2) they apologize for participating in behavior they're convinced their flock to destory others for performing
3) they're replaced
4) offerings tank
5) they come back, forgiven by the board of directors and apparently forgiven by God.

There's a certain amount of predictability, but not the pomp and symbolism.

It's a gilded, polished turd. How anyone can identify themselves as Catholic anymore is beyond me. How the Catholic church can go around making moral judgments and pronouncements is also way beyond hubris.

It would be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

As braces_for_impact said, polishing a turd. And the more apparent it becomes that the RCC and the rest of organized religion offer nothing of value to humanity, the more pomp and imagery are required to keep up the delusion.

Nothing beats the RCC for comical frippery, but some Protestants try to get in on the pageantry, too.

mccain-falwell.jpg

The only communion wafer I have ever eaten was soaked with LSD and it brought me closer to God than any creepy ritual the Catholics can make up. Jesus is awesome but fuck Catholics. Delusional they are indeed.

It's a bit like re-watching an old movie; The special effects always look laughably cheesy and awkward, even though at the time, they were impressive and state-of-the-art.

The Catholic rituals, costumes, and decorations, that wowed the masses in the Middle Ages, just don't cut it with modern audiences. Their cathedrals were once by far the tallest buildings in the world; their clothing, walls and windows were by far the most colourful things a peasant would ever see - to a man who lives with his wife, his four surviving children, and his cow, in a one-room windowless wattle and daub shack, and who can only afford undyed, low grade wool for his clothes, the medieval church was stunning and spectacular. To people who live in vibrant cities with skyscrapers, colour TV and movies, and cheap, brightly coloured plastic gewgaws freely available seven days a week, it all looks a bit overblown, garish and silly.

I actually find Catholic architecture very aesthetically pleasing. The same goes for Muslim architecture.

I tend to be traditionalist in my architectural tastes, though. I was fortunate enough to attend the University of Virginia which was awash with beautiful Neoclassical architecture, especially represented among the buildings on Central Grounds and of course in the famous Academical Village (i.e. The Lawn).

Of course, I spent most of my time tucked away in a dark confocal room inside a modernist affront to good taste.

At least I got to see some beautiful things through the scope. Thank the gods for fluorescence microscopy.

Yeah cool staff. I wonder if I would be shot if I tried to pry it from his dusty hand. I would feel like such a badass carrying that everywhere. I'd hold it up speaking in tongues and wait for lightning to hit it. So sick. Nice hat too, which hear-tell says was shaped like a hallucinogenic Amantia mushroom once. Pope Clement VII died in 1534 after eating a mushroom but it goes back to grimy pagan times actually, when mushrooms influenced faith. The Sacred Mushroom and The Cross: A study of the nature and origins of Christianity within the fertility cults of the ancient Near East would clarify. I listened to the book. Not a boring listen. Listen to or read The Holy Mushroom too if you're cool enough. The hat will make perfect sense. Fuck Catholics but I too like the architecture and smells the Religion/corporation has shat out in it's violent, rapey conquest.

I actually find Catholic architecture very aesthetically pleasing. The same goes for Muslim architecture.

I like the architecture, too. It's the floating angels in robes and the overdone saints with tilted heads and praying hands, and the clothing that's supposed to be taken as serious instead of as fashionable that cracks me up.

I actually like that kind of architecture (Baroque, I think)

Judging from the fact that there is are both American and Polish flags in that church, I figure it is probably an american church built by polish immigrants, probably in the late nineteenth century. So technically it would be a baroque revival, rather than an actual baroque, which was largely over by the eighteenth century. You might call that Rococco revival, because of the high amount of coordination between the art and architecture, which was a characteristic of the late baroque, rococco movement. It also has gothic elements, which is allowed in baroque architecture, which has both its gothic and classical sub-styles. The sheer volume of gothic motifs might justify calling this a gothic revival, even though the clearly excessive ornamentation is very much in keeping with the baroque.

I actually like that kind of architecture (Baroque, I think)

Judging from the fact that there is are both American and Polish flags in that church, I figure it is probably an american church built by polish immigrants, probably in the late nineteenth century. So technically it would be a baroque revival, rather than an actual baroque, which was largely over by the eighteenth century. You might call that Rococco revival, because of the high amount of coordination between the art and architecture, which was a characteristic of the late baroque, rococco movement. It also has gothic elements, which is allowed in baroque architecture, which has both its gothic and classical sub-styles. The sheer volume of gothic motifs might justify calling this a gothic revival, even though the clearly excessive ornamentation is very much in keeping with the baroque.

Spot on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Albertus_Roman_Catholic_Church

Goofy is in the eye of the beholder.

Every hierarchy, whether it is religious, military, or social, has to distinguish between levels of the hierarchy. Other than haircuts or tattoos, there's no way to do this except give the upper levels more flamboyant clothes.

454924876_69a4f7efcf.jpg scaglion05-full.jpg
101248847.Ohw1deqa.TexasDec07076.jpg General%u00252BJacoby.jpg
masonic-regalia.jpg mcgcofficers0709.jpg

Back
Top Bottom