• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Flat Earth outrage among skeptics

I don't know. That's why I created this thread.

I do know why people care. It's always fun to talk about how stupid idiots are, since it elevates ourselves. But flat earth is so obviously wrong, there's nothing much to argue against.

Because flat earthism is a gateway to even more damaging stupidity. Once you have been trained to be truly stupid, the sky is the limit.

How isn't flat earthism the end of the line? How could it get any dumber than this?

I guess i'll put you on ignore, to avoid the possibility (after this) of continuing a conversation past the point where you have said all that needs to ever be said, and in the only way it needs to be said.
Wise move. Wouldn't want to risk reading something interesting.

I don't believe in flat earthers. I think they are a fantasy made up by people and don't exist in real life.

I don't believe in flat earthers. I think they are a fantasy made up by people and don't exist in real life.

I think this is more true than we're led to believe. They get a lot of attention. But it's such a stupid belief, it can't be more than a handful believers

How stupid is the idea of a six thousand year world/universe....yet there are those who argue for it, and appear to actually believe what they are arguing for.

It only looks round because of the local space time distortion. Gravity actually tends to make things flat.

How stupid is the idea of a six thousand year world/universe....yet there are those who argue for it, and appear to actually believe what they are arguing for.

There's a big difference. A huge difference. People who believe in a six thousand year universe swing political power. It's worthy of our attention. Flat Earthers wield no power and never will. It's clearly a club for people who aren't welcome anywhere else and who enjoy life on the fringes and margins of the world. As long as that's all they are, there's zero risk the rest of us. And since their ideas are as idiotic as YECs, then we can ignore them.

There's a big difference. A huge difference. People who believe in a six thousand year universe swing political power. It's worthy of our attention. Flat Earthers wield no power and never will. It's clearly a club for people who aren't welcome anywhere else and who enjoy life on the fringes and margins of the world. As long as that's all they are, there's zero risk the rest of us. And since their ideas are as idiotic as YECs, then we can ignore them.

Very good point. I do not know about Europe over here the idea of ancient aliens being the source of civilization has a following. Several cable shows have been on for years.

In a venn diagram showing those who believe in a six thousand year old universe and those who believe in a flat Earth, there is a significant overlap.

Yes, an overlap must be there because there is clearly a motive for believing in a flat earth, which is a belief relating to special creation. No such thing as a flat earth could possibly form naturally.

Freaky claims and beliefs pique the curiosity of rational people. A flat-earther is a freak show that you've got to see to believe, which is why people spend time to go see it.

Very good point. I do not know about Europe over here the idea of ancient aliens being the source of civilization has a following. Several cable shows have been on for years.

Europeans are a cautious and conservative lot. We're mostly into good food and good sex. The middle-class is also into art. These are the only things we'll be truly passionate about. We tend to be agnostic about most things. Ideas like Flat Earth or YEC will float around but not really get a foothold. Europeans seem to avoid joining fan clubs, unless it's sports. Compared to my American friends Europeans read more philosophy and expose themselves to more ideas, especially through literature. I think this acts as a inoculation against getting too crazy.

We also like being against anything Americans are for, because Europeans feels a bit insecure about once having been the greatest and most powerful, and now most certainly aren't. So the fact that YEC and Flat Earth is big in USA, means we should be against it.

In a venn diagram showing those who believe in a six thousand year old universe and those who believe in a flat Earth, there is a significant overlap.

I was going to call bullshit. Did some googling... yup. You are right. Wow. Mind blown. I've now changed my mind. I think it's worthy of outrage, since creationists certainly are dangerous. I did not make this connection before. Thanks for enlightening me. Seems like this is just Intelligent Design, round 2.

Freaky claims and beliefs pique the curiosity of rational people. A flat-earther is a freak show that you've got to see to believe, which is why people spend time to go see it.

Is that you Mr. Barnum?

This is how the RCC sustained itself for centuries and continues to do so. All those pilgrimage sites had their freak attractions like a vile where the blood came back to life or the rock grotto where a magic lady appeared to children and then made a spring. These are freak show attractions of the first order.

All flat-earthers need to do to get a real foothold is work in a little religious freakiness. They need to find golden tablets and seer stones, discover a story about the first flat-earther who died for his beliefs, before ascending into the firmament. Once the IRS recognizes them as a religion they're good to go.

As goofy claims go a flat earth is pretty tame. No one is changing food into a zombie and then eating the zombie and drinking its blood. No one is wearing magic underpanties or funny hats or chastising the money changers. They need to teach how to find your flat zone and become one with your center. Where's their great teacher wearing a flat disc on his or her head? They need to seriously jazz things up, they're nowhere near approaching crazy enough to have a following.

Somewhere out there is the flattest spot on earth, the holy of holies, the sacred place where you can hear the flatness speaking. Honestly, these guys are amateurs and need a shot in the arm. They actually need a P.T. Barnum.

Is that you Mr. Barnum?

This is how the RCC sustained itself for centuries and continues to do so. All those pilgrimage sites had their freak attractions like a vile where the blood came back to life or the rock grotto where a magic lady appeared to children and then made a spring. These are freak show attractions of the first order.

All flat-earthers need to do to get a real foothold is work in a little religious freakiness. They need to find golden tablets and seer stones, discover a story about the first flat-earther who died for his beliefs, before ascending into the firmament. Once the IRS recognizes them as a religion they're good to go.

As goofy claims go a flat earth is pretty tame. No one is changing food into a zombie and then eating the zombie and drinking its blood. No one is wearing magic underpanties or funny hats or chastising the money changers. They need to teach how to find your flat zone and become one with your center. Where's their great teacher wearing a flat disc on his or her head? They need to seriously jazz things up, they're nowhere near approaching crazy enough to have a following.

Somewhere out there is the flattest spot on earth, the holy of holies, the sacred place where you can hear the flatness speaking. Honestly, these guys are amateurs and need a shot in the arm. They actually need a P.T. Barnum.

Absolutely and the reason for my comment. You are the first I have seen that expressed a recognition of the great market potential there. Old P.T. would be proud of you, with proper marketing this would easily outdo his Fiji Mermaid (or The Fejee Mermaid as he promoted it).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom