• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

I have discovered the joys of stir fried eggplant. Now a regular food for me. A unique flavor when cooked.

My girlfriend has become obsessed with baking the perfect sour dough bread. Obsessed. It's very tasty. But it's to a degree I'm not sure is healthy. Anyhoo... Just wanted to get this off my chest. If she keeps going after Corona is over I'm going to intervene :)

Something new for my coffee, coconut milk. I eded up with a can of it and it goes well with coffee.

I have been trying to waste less in the way of vegetables, and as it’s winter, I am going to experiment making soups.

Last week I cooked up a couple of heads of broccoli, most of a cauliflower , some Brussels sprouts and half a bunch of celery. Added some water to steam it, and blitzed it up. I added a of Wostershire sauce and voila. It made 5 serves of 114 calories each. I still have one in the freezer.

Today I used potatoes, carrots, onion, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, and Brussels sprouts and some spices. Cooked it up with a bit of water, and blitzed it. :)

Below is the result. 5 serves of 120 calories each. :)

C222189B-30BE-44AB-BECD-9FA2C5AB6668.jpeg

Shopping day tomorrow so it’s soup making day today.

What I do is prepare enough veg for dinner tonight, and convert the rest into a soup for my lunches and the freezer.

The following made five serves of ‘green soup’ totalling 65 calories per serve

Celery 224g
Sugarloaf cabbage 379g
Green capsicum 146g
Zucchini 148g
Broccoli 237g
Cauliflower 298g

Added a big of ginger and lemongrass oil, and seasoned and yummy!

Sounds good.

I keep a batch of tomato sauce in the refrdgerator and add fresh vegetables for a quick soup. Or with precooked rice and banns.

Mix a can of crushed tomatoes with a can of tomato paste, mix, and thin with water.

I season with garlic powder, curry, cayenne pepper, cumin, and chili powder. I don't cook it, it it steeps in the refrigerator.

I clean and put vegetables in resealable plastic bags, they stay fresher a lot longer.

I clean and put vegetables in resealable plastic bags, they stay fresher a lot longer.

I've been using gallon ziplock bags for lettuce, cukes, bell peppers, and corn. I've been thinking about trying one of these.
81-Vu7EBtHL.jpgIt's supposed to be especially good for herbs such as basil, parsley, and cilantro, which all seem to wilt pretty quickly when I just stick them in a can or water. And fresh herbs aren't cheap so even at $17 apiece one would pay for itself in about a year if it extends the useable life from 2 weeks to 4 weeks with better quality. And if it works I figure I could use it for scallions, carrots and celery as well. I probably have room for 5 in my fridge.

4cbf14bf793194b59bc75e147c32b236.jpg

My rainbow unicorn cake. Entirely my own design, and you can tell.

My daughter thought it’d be funny to blow at the small decoration candy around the unicorn. Unfortunately for her, I had put my icing on the surface first then the sprinkles. The unicorn needed hair and a tail. I solved that with braided fondant. I’m not much of a braider, having maybe only done it once when making Challah recently. My brain was all over the place, doing most of the braiding subconsciously, as I personally had no idea what I was doing.

fdd39b5a74785b5c2a366f294d6601a3.jpg

Sweet potato soup, kind of a glom of several recipes including African Peanut Soup.

Sweet potato, onion, ginger, garlic, brown rice, cannelloni beans, coconut milk, half and half. Edit: and tahini and peanut butter. Oh, and chicken broth, with paprika, sage, and Mrs. Dash.

I put sunflower seeds on top and some nutmeg croutons I made yesterday.

This is probably massively fattening, but I don't care. It's Thanksgiving week. :D

Attachments

• swpotatosoupPB.jpg
    swpotatosoupPB.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I ordered bananas in my grocery order but it said they didn't have any and offered me some apples instead. I okay'd the substitution. The only other option was to reject the offer and get neither. They don't give the option of choosing a different substitution such as organic bananas, which is weird because even the more expensive organic bananas would have been a lot cheaper to lose the price difference on than seven per-pound apples. So for $1.09, I get about $6 to $8 worth of apples rather than about $0.50 additional worth of bananas. Whatever. Apples will suffice and per pound apples are much higher quality than the bagged apples I usually buy to save money even though I already have a half a bag from the last grocery order.

So I decided I will try a sour cream fruit dip to help me go through all the apples. I've only tried yogurt fruit dips, so this should be interesting. Sour cream is one of my favorite foods ever so I expect it will be super delicious as well.

Apples are too big.
Here is Australia, the two main supermarkets have a ‘reject’ brand. Woolworths call them ‘The Odd Bunch’ and Coles, ‘I’mPerfect’. I have found that these are perfectly fine, cheaper, and usually a lot smaller than full priced ones. In particular, their apples, pears and mandarins are smaller and perfectly sized for little kids. And they are usually hard the price of the ‘kids sized’ range of the same fruit. Shows to go you that people are either gullible or can’t be bothered to shop around!

Apples are too big.
Here is Australia, the two main supermarkets have a ‘reject’ brand. Woolworths call them ‘The Odd Bunch’ and Coles, ‘I’mPerfect’. I have found that these are perfectly fine, cheaper, and usually a lot smaller than full priced ones. In particular, their apples, pears and mandarins are smaller and perfectly sized for little kids. And they are usually hard the price of the ‘kids sized’ range of the same fruit. Shows to go you that people are either gullible or can’t be bothered to shop around!
This is why I buy bagged apples. Not sure if it's the same in Oz, but here we have a choice of by weight apples, which are bigger and usually sweeter and better in other ways, but the bagged apples are a fraction of the price (a bag of 10 for $4 to $6 versus a bag of 3 to 5 for the same price) and are just as good in most ways. It's also easier to not have to calculate the price because it's the same for all bags of the same kind of apples. (Unless they're organic, which are stupid expensive bagged or by weight.)

This is a typical bag of apples in the US:

1640709135672.png

Back
Top Bottom