• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Foodie Thread

Does meat cook at 200 F? If so, maybe sous vide in a coffee maker is an option. Pop that steak into a sealed plastic bag with as much air as possible removed, and then pop it into a coffee maker carafe and run water into it. But I wouldn't trust 200 F to do a good job, but you could try keeping it in the carafe for a while.

If you have the right size pan for a clothes iron, you can prop up the iron in an empty baby wipes dispenser (the big kind) and it becomes a cook surface. Cover the iron in foil and then place your pan with water on top and bring it to a boil. Gotta be super careful, obviously, and you'd have to use a pot or pan that is much larger than the tiny 4" pie pan that I used. And the smaller the pot, the faster the water boils off so you might have to keep replenishing with water from the coffee maker to keep a consistent boil and enough water.

*My next project is pancakes.* Just add water powdered mix, fashion a small frying pan from foil or from a pie pan, heat the oil, spoon a teensy pancake amount into the pan, cook as usual. Might need a tiny spatula.

I steam beef and chicken. A little water in a covered frying pan. Cooks fast with easy cleanup.

275427406_2095248877305707_2910056819384017127_n.jpg

Mmmm, I haven't had rice pudding in years. My grand mother, whenever she made a rice dish, always made extra to make homemade rice pudding. I loved it.

An important question.

Who makes the best hot dogs? I go with Hebrew National.

A strange event.

I have a Pyrex measuring cup I have ued for years. I used it every day for reheating food and heating water for coffee and tea in the microwave.

I heated up rice, beans, and tomato sauce in the microwave for lunch and sat down to eat out of the cup. The cup crunbled into pieces.

I guess microwave safe is not forever.,

362F1FC2-3D11-48C8-860E-B52A4113DC6C.jpeg

Brie Potato bake. Sliced yukon golds, two sprigs rosemary, 6 sprigs thyme, 1.5 cups sour cream, 8 oz brie, 4 tbsp LIGHT butter. 3 tsp garlic.

The critical key here is the butter. 4 tbsp butter is way too much butter. But the potatoes are using the butter to cook in oven. I swapped it with Land O Lakes light butter to keep the moisture volume the same and it cooked just as well. After gretting back from hospital after slicing your hand open with mandoline slicer, coat the potatoes with 3/4s the melted butter and the garlic/herbs. Layer thin (1/2”) with coats of sour cream, then some brie. More potatoes, repeat. Coat top with 1 tbsp butter. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour. Check to see potatoes are cooked! If good add slices of Brie and then broil for a few minutes to brown. My oven needed 15 more minutes than recipe calls for. My one problem is there isn’t enough cheese. The sour cream bakes down and acts more like ricotta. The brie gets lost. :( So I’m thinking it needs more brie. Or maybe add goat cheese, something else soft but mild.

View attachment 39278

Brie Potato bake. Sliced yukon golds, two sprigs rosemary, 6 sprigs thyme, 1.5 cups sour cream, 8 oz brie, 4 tbsp LIGHT butter. 3 tsp garlic.

The critical key here is the butter. 4 tbsp butter is way too much butter. But the potatoes are using the butter to cook in oven. I swapped it with Land O Lakes light butter to keep the moisture volume the same and it cooked just as well. After gretting back from hospital after slicing your hand open with mandoline slicer, coat the potatoes with 3/4s the melted butter and the garlic/herbs. Layer thin (1/2”) with coats of sour cream, then some brie. More potatoes, repeat. Coat top with 1 tbsp butter. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for an hour. Check to see potatoes are cooked! If good add slices of Brie and then broil for a few minutes to brown. My oven needed 15 more minutes than recipe calls for. My one problem is there isn’t enough cheese. The sour cream bakes down and acts more like ricotta. The brie gets lost. :( So I’m thinking it needs more brie. Or maybe add goat cheese, something else soft but mild.
Okay, so I up'd to 13 oz of Brie. About 3 for the top when you broil. Don't dot the brie, roll out into lengths when laying the first and second layers. This makes a huge difference and you feel like there is cheese in the dish. Really good. My third baking seems to imply the big the potato, the longer the baking time. I used mostly the smaller potatoes when 60 minutes worked. But 70 to 80 seem necessary when picking out the biggies in the bag. Slice thickness is the same, so not very certain why this is, but it is an observation.

Arabica or Colombian, which coffee bean is considered the best?

Star Bucks uses a alot of Arabica. I tried Pete's Colombian and it was day and night.

Arabica or Colombian, which coffee bean is considered the best?

Star Bucks uses a alot of Arabica. I tried Pete's Colombian and it was day and night.
Colombian coffee is Arabica coffee that has been washed. It's a way of preparing Arabica beans so that they are lower in acidity and caffeine content.

You might as well ask "Sparkling Wine or Champagne, which is considered the best?"; The latter is a subset of the former.

In a similar vein, it's technically only Peas'n'Corn if it's from the Pisa region of Italy. Anything else is just sparkling frozen vegetables.

The thought of birthday pretzels came to mind. I was pondering using the same mix I have for the previous, but add a tad more sugar (probably a TBSP of powdered sugar) and add no salt. Make three batches so it is a lot easier to incorporate a different pastel color in each batch of dough. When out of oven, spritz with a tiny amount of water, then dip into sprinkles. Or maybe better, coat with a light glaze, then dip into sprinkles. There is no rise time, so I could pull this off morning of party.

Back
Top Bottom