• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Forgery suspect killed by cop restricting his airway

The police respond to a forgery in progress, it escalates to a physical confrontation and the death the suspect. I hope more information about this comes out soon.

One thing is certain. The poor relations between the Mn Police and minority communities is not going to improve unless there is real credible oversight and accountability on this incident

This is partially why cops need to be very fit, 75+% percentile strong and aged out older than 50 or so. Give them a good post muscle job training in the meantime.

He needs to be strong and fast enough to give this strongish looking suspect some room to thrash around and STILL be able to handle him.

Was he taking no chances partially because he was getting old?

I didn't realise there was already a thread on this. I started another one. This is just shocking. Really, really shocking.

This is being discussed in another thread highlighting the crime for which the man was being arrested:

https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...-suspect-killed-by-cop-restricting-his-airway

Perhaps the mods could merge?

And from what I can tell, you are not wrong. That man was murdered.

Well, actually, on second thoughts I edited out that initial response. I don't exactly know what a person has to do for it to be murder specifically. Maybe extreme negligence doesn't count if the killer didn't exactly intend to kill, but this looks really, really bad.

Needless to say, he was black.
Pretty much all the information #BLM and many on here need. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the Interstate will be blockaded again or will #BLMers not do it because of COVID ...

You can see the man being held down unable to move, then fall silent, then go limp. What more information do you need? If your contention is that any resistance on the part of the suspect necessarily excuses any treatment from the cops then that needs no additional information.

The man was clearly subdued and no longer resisting. Multiple cops were on the scene. Minutes were spent trying to keep people from being able to record instead of doing whatever they needed to restrict his arms and legs.

How much of a shambles does someone’s moral center need to be to gleefully bleat about the potential overreaction of a hashtag in the face of a senseless and callous killing?

This is being discussed in another thread highlighting the crime for which the man was being arrested:

https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...-suspect-killed-by-cop-restricting-his-airway

Perhaps the mods could merge?

And from what I can tell, you are not wrong. That man was murdered.

Well, actually, on second thoughts I edited out that initial response. I don't exactly know what a person has to do for it to be murder specifically. Maybe extreme negligence doesn't count if the killer didn't exactly intend to kill, but this looks really, really bad.

I see no reason to back away from the statement that it looks like murder. It did to me and to witnesses urging the officer to quit pressing his knee on the man’s neck.

Sorry if it freaks you out that I agreed with you.

I see no reason to back away from the statement that it looks like murder. It did to me and to witnesses urging the officer to quit pressing his knee on the man’s neck.

No, hey. He killed him. It was shocking. I think on reflection that if the discussion veers into murder-not-murder-only-manslaughter or whatever it'll be missing the point. Also, I don't think we can tell if it was racism, so imo that should be left out unless something more comes up to point to that. I'm sticking with shocking, awful killing. That police officer, and quite possibly his co-officer, surely have to face very serious charges over this, and quickly. Let the legal system decide if it was murder, manslaughter or unlawful killing or whatever.

I think to society, it is extra wrong when people who are supposed to be trained, who are supposed to be in contro, who are supposed to PROTECT make so many "errors" that cause people to die.

And when they try to make excuses and protect the officer from harm - after him failing to protect the civilian - it feels to the public like the whole police force fails to protect a civilian, on purpose, and all together.

They lose credibility. And when the police force loses credibility, it's real bad.

I think to society, it is extra wrong when people who are supposed to be trained, who are supposed to be in contro, who are supposed to PROTECT make so many "errors" that cause people to die.

And when they try to make excuses and protect the officer from harm - after him failing to protect the civilian - it feels to the public like the whole police force fails to protect a civilian, on purpose, and all together.

They lose credibility. And when the police force loses credibility, it's real bad.

Indeed. And I’m absolutely sure that problem is not just an American one. Police close ranks in almost every country.

So...I’m now reading of what sounds like a somewhat similar ‘I can’t breathe’/knee on neck asphyxiation by a US police officer from a few years back, and that it took 5 years for an outcome and the outcome was that the officer(s) were fired, but not charged with anything.

It’s possible that case was complicated? I don’t know.

But to me, why should the officer(s) in THIS case not be charged very quickly indeed, rather than the department try to minimise or manage things while they investigate? I say that because....what, really, is either not already clear or that can’t be explored after charges? A charge is not a verdict one way or the other.

And it would go at least some way to defuse local tensions, which will, understandably, be raised, because as you say, people will be worried that the process might be unduly slow.

Indeed. And I’m absolutely sure that problem is not just an American one. Police close ranks in almost every country.

So...I’m now reading of what sounds like a somewhat similar ‘I can’t breathe’/knee on neck asphyxiation by a US police officer from a few years back, and that it took 5 years for an outcome and the outcome was that the officer(a) were fired, but not charged with anything.

Yes. This is not the first time this has happened. Sadly, it will not be the last.

He needs to be strong and fast enough to give this strongish looking suspect some room to thrash around and STILL be able to handle him.

There were two cops and one handcuffed, apparently unarmed guy face down on the ground. Policeman did not even take his knee of the guy’s neck long after he was unconscious. Maybe you watched a different video or there is something wrong with your eyesight.

Prior to this incident, the Mn police force has a very low credibility with the minority communities in the Twin Cities.

The victim was handcuffed and down on the ground, saying he could not breathe. The officer keep his knee on the victim's neck despite repeated entreaties. There is no dispute about those facts.

Even if this victim died of natural causes unrelated to the officer's actions, the apparent callousness of the officer was uncalled for.

Back
Top Bottom