• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Forgery suspect killed by cop restricting his airway

- the chief serves at the pleasure of the mayor.
- the mayor announced it.
The chief of police made the announcement first.

Does he have access to the future, when the investigation is already complete?
That was non-responsive. One can conclude that you once again are conflating your baseless suspicions for fact.

It is pretty obvious what he is doing. You don't have to be a confident[sic] of the mayor to see that.
Yes, the mayor is backing the chief of police's call. You have no evidence that the mayor is behind the sacking.

For someone who wants everyone to STFU until there is an investigation, you sure are willing to fling baseless accusations around.

Gleefully? No. I am disgusted and heartbroken and weary to the bones. There is no glee or humor or joy in this death.
No, the glee and joy you feel is at the firing of the four police officers and their possible criminal prosecution.

Really? Video shows a police officer's knee on a man's neck and him begging for help because he couldn't breathe. Then the man dies.
If you look at the video, the knee does not appear to compress the neck at all. Furthermore, if the airway was restricted (for example by compression) he would not be able to speak either.
If Floyd really felt he could not breathe (and police had no way of distinguishing it from malingering) it was due to acute chemical intoxication.

The 'misadventure' is the police officer's.
I meant the drugs he likely took and his choice to try to defraud the deli.

That a suspect died begging for help with a police officer's knee on his neck is sufficiently suspicious to call for some very serious and independent investigation.
Investigation, yes. Jumping to conclusions, as Jacoby Frey, Keith Ellison and Amy Klobuchar (among others) have done, most definitely no.
The police officers should not have been fired without an investigation and I hope they sue.

Here's one that happened just a few months ago. Ok, it wasn't for millions but "only" $795k, but the perp in question took a police officers gun and shot two cops before getting shot himself.
KARE11 said:
Terrance Franklin, 22, was shot by Minneapolis Police on May 10, 2013, at a home he was accused of breaking into in south Minneapolis. The shooting followed a lengthy police chase. According to police, Franklin wrestled a gun away from one of the officers, and shot and wounded two officers before being killed by police.
Minneapolis reaches settlement with family in deadly 2013 police shooting

That tells you the level of idiocy and perp-coddling in Minneapolis mayor's office and the city council.

You have no evidence that the mayor is behind the sacking.
It is a reasonable assumption. The chief has no motive to throw his own people under the bus before any sort of investigation has been done. That is horrible for the morale of the rank and file, and thus he is either an idiot who doesn't see that or else he's been pressured by the mayor. I think the latter is far more likely, especially when the mayor utters idiotic platitudes such as "being black in America should not be a death sentence".

You have no evidence that the mayor is behind the sacking.
It is a reasonable assumption. The chief has no motive to throw his own people under the bus before any sort of investigation has been done.
The chief of police in Minneapolis is a woman. We don't the reason for firing at this moment. For all we know, it is because they failed to follow procedure.
That is horrible for the morale of the rank and file, and thus he is either an idiot who doesn't see that or else he's been pressured by the mayor. I think the latter is far more likely.
Even Bob Kroll, the outspoken head of the Mn Police Union and critic of the mayor is not making such arguments in public. It is quite possible that most of the rank and file appreciate that such officers are off the force.

It is obvious that I did not accuse anyone of murder or killing anyone.

So do you agree with me then that they should not have been fired?
No. I have no idea at this point. From the video and the reports, these officers screwed up big time. Whether that screw up resulted in Mr. Floyd's death need not be material to their firing if they violated procedure.
Or are you speaking out of both sides of your mouth as usual?
I am not responsible for your obtuseness.

The chief of police in Minneapolis is a woman.
Potato potahto. Also, he is a guy.
COS-Rondo.jpg

We don't the reason for firing at this moment. For all we know, it is because they failed to follow procedure.
If you really believe that I have some ocean-front property in Reno to sell you.

Even Bob Kroll, the outspoken head of the Mn Police Union and critic of the mayor is not making such arguments in public. It is quite possible that most of the rank and file appreciate that such officers are off the force.

Such as what? I thought you didn't accuse them of killing anyone. Which is it?

As I have said from the beginning, we do not even know the cause of death yet. He might have died of an overdose or a combination of acute intoxication with an underlying health condition. That happens. People die from drugs all the fucking time.

No. I have no idea at this point. From the video and the reports, these officers screwed up big time. Whether that screw up resulted in Mr. Floyd's death need not be material to their firing if they violated procedure.
Even IF they violated procedure to the extent that firing was a possibility, such administrative matters have a procedure of their own. The immediate firing was 100% political.

I am not responsible for your obtuseness.
On the contrary, you are so obtuse, you are approaching π rad.

Potato potahto.
Goes to your lack of knowledge.

If you really believe that I have some ocean-front property in Reno to sell you.
I believe you would think Reno has ocean-front property.

Such as what? I thought you didn't accuse them of killing anyone. Which is it?
The Mn police force has a very poor reputation in the area. They don't need officers shooting women who approach police cars, or shoot people who are sitting in the cars or failing to help a handcuffed suspect of a non-violent crime whoiis crying for help because that does not help their image or the co-operation they need from the community to help keep the peace and solve crimes.

As I have said from the beginning, we do not even know the cause of death yet. He might have died of an overdose or a combination of acute intoxication with an underlying health condition. That happens. People die from drugs all the fucking time.
What you seem incapable of realizing is that the cause of death is really not that material. It is the officer's actions (or lack thereof) that are the issue.

Now, a different local news station is reporting
The officers involved in Floyd’s death are on “relieved of duty status,” the police chief said. This is different from the typical administrative leave, but is still paid with no law enforcement duties. The names of the officers involved have yet to be released.
(https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/george-floyd-man-dies-after-being-arrested-by-minneapolis-police-fbi-called-to-investigate/)

So Jacob Frey and his lackey with the supposedly gender-bending name reversed themselves quickly, eh?

Even IF they violated procedure to the extent that firing was a possibility, such administrative matters have a procedure of their own. The immediate firing was 100% political.
I did not realize you are an expert on the Mn police contract and the managerial discretion it gives the police of chief. I strongly suspect you are pulling your opinions right out the air.

Now, a different local news station is reporting
The officers involved in Floyd’s death are on “relieved of duty status,” the police chief said. This is different from the typical administrative leave, but is still paid with no law enforcement duties. The names of the officers involved have yet to be released.
(https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/26/george-floyd-man-dies-after-being-arrested-by-minneapolis-police-fbi-called-to-investigate/)

So Jacob Frey and his lackey with the gender-bending name reversed themselves quickly, eh?
Or, the mayor and the first station got it wrong.

Goes to your lack of knowledge.
And to yours. Medaria Arradondo is a guy.

I believe you would think Reno has ocean-front property.
And I believe you would buy some. ;)

The Mn police force has a very poor reputation in the area. They don't need officers shooting women who approach police cars, or shoot people who are sitting in the cars or failing to help a handcuffed suspect of a non-violent crime whoiis crying for help because that does not help their image or the co-operation they need from the community to help keep the peace and solve crimes.

The Justice Damond thing was indeed fucked up, and that rightly resulted in a conviction.
What case are you referring to with "sitting in the cars"? Not familiar with that one.
This case is still wide open. It is true that the original crime was non-violent, but we do not know yet how he ended up with a knee on his neck. If he resisted arrest with violence, that is a violent crime, and the fact that the original forgery was non-violent is an irrelevant red herring.

What you seem incapable of realizing is that the cause of death is really not that material. It is the officer's actions (or lack thereof) that are the issue.
Of course it is. The claim is that the knee on the neck restricted the suspect's breathing such that he died.
If the restraint is unrelated to the death, then the case that the restraint was somehow improper is much harder to make, and the claim (like Toni was making) that it was murder is outright slanderous.

Or, the mayor and the first station got it wrong.
Well sue me for thinking that the mayor should verify claims before tweeting them.

You should wait to make that argument until after it is shown that this was just another unfortunate 7-minute long accident.
Oh wait ... that never happens.
Anyhow, in this rabid Democrat-ridden environment you have to let the guy get out in front of it before the backlash level hits 11.

Who does Jacob Frey think he is? The President of the United States? :)

IKR?

What case are you referring to with "sitting in the cars"? Not familiar with that one.
This case is still wide open. It is true that the original crime was non-violent, but we do not know yet how he ended up with a knee on his neck. If he resisted arrest with violence, that is a violent crime, and the fact that the original forgery was non-violent is an irrelevant red herring.
We know how the knee got there. And we know it was there after he was crying for help.

Of course it is. The claim is that the knee on the neck restricted the suspect's breathing such that he died.
If the restraint is unrelated to the death, then the case that the restraint was somehow improper is much harder to make, and the claim (like Toni was making) that it was murder is outright slanderous.
Whether the knee on the neck was proper or followed police protocol is independent of the outcome.

I just listened to an NPR piece: the officers have been fired for using a not approved method of restraint and for not coming to the assistance of the man who was complaining of distressed breathing.

We know how the knee got there.
We don't. The video starts when it is already there.

And we know it was there after he was crying for help.
Yeah. That looks bad, but perps often fake injury or illness when arrested.

Whether the knee on the neck was proper or followed police protocol is independent of the outcome.
There is a big difference between the restraint restricting his airway (as the thread title claims) and that not being the case.

I just listened to an NPR piece: the officers have been fired for using a not approved method of restraint and for not coming to the assistance of the man who was complaining of distressed breathing.

MSNBC “legal analyst” claims the knee on the neck is not an authorized restraint. I would expect charges would be filed soon.

Back
Top Bottom