• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Forgery suspect killed by cop restricting his airway

Sen. Tom Cotton also tweeted
Tom Cotton on Twitter: "The police violence against protestors in Hong Kong is unacceptable. We must support these brave individuals standing against Chinese Communist Party tyranny and pass the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act." / Twitter

James Mattis Denounces Trump as Threat to Constitution - The Atlantic - "In an extraordinary condemnation, the former defense secretary backs protesters and says the president is trying to turn Americans against one another."
James Mattis, the esteemed Marine general who resigned as secretary of defense in December 2018 to protest Donald Trump’s Syria policy, has, ever since, kept studiously silent about Trump’s performance as president. But he has now broken his silence, writing an extraordinary broadside in which he denounces the president for dividing the nation, and accuses him of ordering the U.S. military to violate the constitutional rights of American citizens.

“I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled,” Mattis writes. “The words ‘Equal Justice Under Law’ are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.” He goes on, “We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution.”
He blasts the President for being divisive.
“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis writes. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”

He goes on to contrast the American ethos of unity with Nazi ideology. “Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that ‘The Nazi slogan for destroying us … was “Divide and Conquer.” Our American answer is “In Union there is Strength.”’ We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.”

Justin Amash on Twitter: "Excited to announce that @RepPressley will co-lead the bill to end qualified immunity. We’ll work relentlessly to build support within Congress for this critical legislation. Police must be held accountable when they violate people’s rights. https://t.co/xgwULKmDqR" / Twitter
then
Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "Qualified immunity shields police from accountability, impedes true justice, and undermines the constitutional rights of every person in this country.
It’s past time we end #QualifiedImmunity, and I’m introducing legislation with @justinamash to do exactly that." / Twitter

Tom Cotton's editorial raised a lot of eyebrows. James Bennet, editorial page editor, The New York Times:
James Bennet on Twitter: "I want to explain why we published the piece today by Senator Tom Cotton. https://t.co/GvWwf7i0Wu" / Twitter
"I want to explain why we published the piece today by Senator Tom Cotton.

The Times editorial board has forcefully defended the protests as patriotic and criticized the use of force, saying earlier today that police too often have “responded with more violence — against protesters, journalists and bystanders.”

We’ve also crusaded for years against the underlying, systemic cruelties that led to these protests.
http://nytimes.com/americaweneed
https://nyti.ms/3gO4HcN

As part of our explorations of these issues, Times Opinion has published powerful arguments supporting protests, advocating fundamental change and criticizing police abuses.
https://nyti.ms/2ADdddY
https://nyti.ms/306Xizh
https://nyti.ms/3dwVYd4

Times Opinion owes it to our readers to show them counter-arguments, particularly those made by people in a position to set policy.

We understand that many readers find Senator Cotton's argument painful, even dangerous. We believe that is one reason it requires public scrutiny and debate.
Opinion | At George Floyd Protests, Police Attacks on the First Amendment - The New York Times
Opinion | So the South’s White Terror Will Never Be Forgotten - The New York Times - about a memorial for lynchings
Opinion | Destructive Power of Despair - The New York Times - "The protests are not necessarily about Floyd’s killing in particular, but about the savagery and carnage that his death represents."

No doubt the officers regret their actions, thoughtlessly taking an action that not only killed a man and brought about civil unrest but ruined their own careers and damaged their own reputations and private lives. Pity that foresight is not as clear as hindsight.

Why aren't all police involved killings and other serious cases not automatically run by special prosecutors and judges?

If a cop is tried by local prosecutor John Smith won't other cops fuck up later civilian cases by him? These cop fuckers would do it to send a message.

Bring in an outsider and no one to retaliate against.

No doubt the officers regret their actions, thoughtlessly taking an action that not only killed a man and brought about civil unrest but ruined their own careers and damaged their own reputations and private lives. Pity that foresight is not as clear as hindsight.

You’d think it would serve as a lesson for all who follow, but no. These incidents continue to happen. The regret is in allowing these aggressive personality types to become police in the first place. It serves no one’s interest.

Not sure their regret would be for Floyd. It would be more like self pity because they lost their jobs and were tried/prosecuted for murder. These people typically use the argument of "It happens", or that "There was no other way". A "good" shooting, they call it. As if ANY shooting could be "good" :rolleyes:

I don't know how far they go with their proposed legislation but police do need to make decisions in the moment and oftentimes those decisions will be wrong. For the sake of saving their own skin, should they not react, let the situation play out and just sweep up the mess? Of course not. They are there to stop crimes from happening and we require them to do this in the moment with the information at hand. They have to make sometimes deadly decisions right now. So of course a person needs some sort of immunity from prosecution.

Now, a failing I see is police not being held accountable for their nonlethal offenses against the public. As far as I can tell, data is not even collected on excessive force. Every body cam should be on. Every time a cop uses force on a civilian, it should be reviewed. Police should at a minimum be fined for excessive force. No person need be slammed to the ground.
There are bad apples. They may be aggressive toward all or to some based on their cultural background. But they are the bad apple who should have never been allowed to wear the badge. This is my disconnect. Why are these aggressive types allowed into law enforcement in the first place?
Blacks are not killed more than others by the police but they are victims on nonlethal force much more than others. This can escalate the present situation and lays in the mind of the community in which it happens. We were never meant to fear police.

This is one of the events that got me on the path to white nationalism

Ok. Shoot (pun unintended). Why did that get you onto the path to white nationalism?

Hang on, let me guess. You basically just think there'd be less unrest and more peace if the current state of merely partial and informal segregation was extended to full and formal segregation, to the point that there would in fact be two different nations. So the analogy would be with a married couple who just can't get on and it would be better for both if they separated. Is that it?

I'm not having a go at you here. I am not accusing you of racism for example. I genuinely don't think I've ever met a white nationalist before, either from here (where there are some also) or from the USA.

The protests are widespread for a few reasons.

1) Black poverty is widespread. Apparently centuries of repression couldn't be resolved in just a few decades. Some people like to blame blacks for the crime and violence (generalized, not about the protests)... and yes, there is no excuse for crime and violence... it is an indicator of poverty, not race. Much like how blacks die from cancers more often than whites or that blacks are dying more often from COVID-19 than whites. People think blacks are more susceptible to COVID-19 as well as committing crime? No... it's the poverty.

2) Systemic bias is widespread. While there is racism, I think that systemic bias is the much bigger problem, ie playing the odds. Some black guy trying to force his way into a nice home... must be a robber, not a professor at Harvard. Or these nice white guys say the black guy lunged at them, and him being black and them being white, this is a viable explanation from people that'd go to prison if they admitted to reckless actions that caused a death.

3) No one is listening... is widespread. We've seen the videos of evidence being planted, officers needlessly shooting, etc... This stuff has been alleged for a while. And this particular case, the officer had lots of complaints against him... but no one listened to those complaining, and because of that, someone is dead. People are tired of being ignored across the country. And the culture in the Police needs adjusting.
Exactly !! Socioeconomic status is the variable, not race !

Socioeconomic is a major component and there is a feedback connection with race.

This would be a viable context for a seven year old.

Exactly !! Socioeconomic status is the variable, not race !

Socioeconomic is a major component and there is a feedback connection with race.
True.
Also, many people do not realise that bias is subconscious. And that all races have it. Studies show that even blacks subconsciously think that they are predisposed to crime and violence etc etc. Because that's what has been implied (explicitly and implicitly) for centuries, and millennia.
It saddens me that we are still debating the topic of whether or not racism exists, when the implicit bias has been proven, time and again, in tons of studies.

This would be a viable context for a seven year old.

Yet it happened.

Congressmen, Senators march out with George Floyd protesters - "AOC, Warren and Harris among notable politicians protesting for George Floyd"

Teddy Amenabar on Twitter: "Sen. Elizabeth Warren is here with Bailey. I just spoke with her. Warren said she decided 30 minutes ago to come down and support the protesters. #dcprotest" / Twitter
then
Teddy Amenabar on Twitter: ".@SenWarren: “I’m here today because nothing changes if we don’t speak out. It is not enough to stay comfortable in our homes and offices and say we stand in solidarity. It’s important that we get out on the front lines and call out racism everywhere.”" / Twitter

A Wounded Nation: Why We Can’t Give Up in the Fight for Justice - Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel | Black News by Kamala Harris
I was proud to stand with protestors marching outside the White House in Washington, D.C. As we marched, I was heartened by how many people—from all races, ethnicities, and walks of life—joined our rallying cry that enough is enough. Enough with excessive force at the hands of police officers who took an oath to protect and serve our communities. Enough with being treated as less than human. Enough of living in fear that someone we love could be next.

Senator Chris Coons on Twitter: "I was proud to march today with fellow Delawareans protesting the killing of George Floyd and the unjust deaths of so many other African Americans. We must demand justice for George Floyd and actions to address structural racism. https://t.co/FgVYhdCLCn" / Twitter

Back to the NYPost article.
In the House, multiple congresspeople representing the state of Texas were seen at Tuesday’s protest in Houston. Reps. Sheila Jackson Lee (D), Sylvia Garcia (D), Lizzie Fletcher (D), Al Green (D) and Will Hurd (R) took part in the demonstrations based in Floyd’s hometown.

Hurd, who is retiring after this term, wrote in a tweet that he was marching “in solidarity with George Floyd’s family.”

“We are showing you can be outraged by a black man getting murdered in police custody, thankful for our First Amendment rights and angered that people are looting and rioting, which goes against our American values,” he continued.
Rozina Ali on Twitter: ".⁦@AOC⁩ handing out masks in Queens protest. “Wear your masks! Let’s go!” https://t.co/TiZqjMJfTF" / Twitter

Police Pepper-Sprayed a Congresswoman, Joyce Beatty - The Atlantic - "In that moment, Ohio Representative Joyce Beatty said, she was just another black American attacked while protesting injustice"
Growing up in Dayton during the 1960s, the 70-year-old Ohio congresswoman remembers having to use a different water fountain from the white people in her community, and having to swim in a different public pool. Throughout her life and political career, which began in the state legislature in the late ’90s, she’d taken part in many civil-rights demonstrations.

But the pepper spray was new to her. It “shuts you down,” she told me in an interview this morning. “It gets into your lungs. You’re coughing profusely. You can’t see.”

Standing in front of a Pizza Rustica, she can be heard urging her fellow protesters not to taunt the police. “Don’t excite them!” she yells, again and again. For a few seconds, the scene seems as if it could de-escalate. Then, suddenly, an officer throws a protester to the ground, and any semblance of order is lost. The crowd surges forward, with Beatty at the front, waving her arms. The officers begin to pepper-spray people indiscriminately; the crowd disperses, screaming; and Beatty is led away by two colleagues.

In that moment, Beatty told me, she wasn’t a member of Congress. She was just another black American attacked while protesting injustice—one of innumerable others across the long expanse of history. The events of the past week, she said, represent “a collection of historic anger.”

Back
Top Bottom