• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Four-day workweek?

I work 4 days a week. Granted, it's 4 10 hour days, but even then it's better than 5. When we switched to 4 10s (because that's what most of the workers wanted) I was put on the "donut" schedule. Two days on, one day off. Two days on, two days off. I loved it. Every other day was "Friday." When that shift went away, I was put onto "back half," working Wednesday through Saturday. It is still better than 5 days. When you're working 5 days, you get home Friday evening, wind down, you have Saturday to yourself, and then Sunday is a "school night" where you have to gear up to get back into the grind. When I get home on Saturday afternoon, I wind down. Then I have Sunday to myself. Then Monday. Then Tuesday is a "school night" where I have to set my alarm again.

But wait...there's more! In a M-F 9 to 5 world, you have to take time off to compensate for the fact that everyone else is on the same schedule. Doctor's appointments, car repairs, and other stuff that happens during those times suddenly becomes a lot easier when you're working 4 days. Monday morning meeting with my cardiologist? No problem. If I had 2 hours cut off from each day of work? I would be so much more productive.
4 day week sounds good but the difficulties are not hard to find.
Schools - what happens to the kids on that 5th day? Parents work schedules may not line up with school days. Childcare would be the same.
Medical - what happens if you 4 day schedules aligns with the doctor? You will still have the same problem of getting in.
Shopping - Stores might be closed on your day off. Then what?
Etc., etc.

As Bilby noted earlier the 4 day week is just a poorly disguised attempt at a large pay rise.

And how are companies supposed to cope with a 20% reduction in productivity?

Those poor billion dollar companies. Won't someone think of them? They should consider counseling.
Maybe lay off the avocado toast for a couple of days.
Medical - what happens if you 4 day schedules aligns with the doctor? You will still have the same problem of getting in.
Shopping - Stores might be closed on your day off. Then what?
Etc., etc.
Obviously a one day - or better yet, a zero day work week would be ideal.

My coworkers want a 4x10 hr work week as well. Our mgmt isn't budging.

Recently they asked us "What would make us happier?" (morale has been very poor)

Someone took a long shot and said more money (we have been getting 2 to 3% raises for the last 6 years) - they said no it cant be done (I work for a subsidiary of Mitsubishi - $159.676B in 2023)

Another suggestion was 4 x 10 work week, which we presented with a workable sched that we all agreed upon. No (for a ridiculous reason)

As a sad and tragic joke someone said more donuts.

Guess which one we got?

Recently they asked us "What would make us happier?" (morale has been very poor)

Someone took a long shot and said more money (we have been getting 2 to 3% raises for the last 6 years) - they said no it cant be done (I work for a subsidiary of Mitsubishi - $159.676B in 2023)

Another suggestion was 4 x 10 work week, which we presented with a workable sched that we all agreed upon. No (for a ridiculous reason)

Guess which one we got?

A pizza party in the conference room?

Sorry, but that sucks. I work for a subsidiary of General Motors, and a couple people in my department recently got bumped up to the next level. We were all shocked when they only got a 7% raise instead of the 10% the rest of us got when we were promoted. A regular raise without promotion was 5%. When we suggested 4x10 schedule, they took it seriously, crunched the numbers, and agreed because it worked out better for them.

Guess which one we got?

Sorry, but that sucks. I work for a subsidiary of General Motors, and a couple people in my department recently got bumped up to the next level. We were all shocked when they only got a 7% raise instead of the 10% the rest of us got when we were promoted. A regular raise without promotion was 5%. When we suggested 4x10 schedule, they took it seriously, crunched the numbers, and agreed because it worked out better for them.
Who paid off the number crunchers?

The School district here is on a four day week - or a three day weekend, as it mostly seems.
Having read stuff about how counterproductive it can be to overwork kids, and having a pretty bad attention deficit myself, it has been surprising to see so many of those kids thriving. Of course I only see the ones that are out and about, often at work (lifeguarding, raft guiding or retail) so don’t know about the ones holed up in their houses for three days straight playing Fortnight or something …
Anyhow, the four day schedule seems to benefit the enterprising, the ones who are using that “extra” time to build a resume.
But adults probably just drink beer if you give them another day to drink beer.

Guess which one we got?

Who paid off the number crunchers?
It was the shift managers (who made our schedules) that said "no, this actually works better for our needs, and we want it, too." They took it to the department manager, and she took it to the head of operations. She said "oh...you're right. Let's do that, then." The higher ups occasionally listen to us.

Those poor billion dollar companies. Won't someone think of them? They should consider counseling.
In other words, eat the rich with no regard for what happens.

32 hour workweek, expect 20% of the economy to be gone. If you don't change prices you'll just get 25% of inflation.

32 hour workweek, expect 20% of the economy to be gone. If you don't change prices you'll just get 25% of inflation.

I can just as easily say you don't give a shit about the consequences for others' mental health.

The rich can still be rich. No need to eat them at all.

Maybe nibble around the edges.

Bring it back down to the level of a CEO making 10 or even 20 times what the average employee makes as opposed to 400 or 500 times.

And from what I hear, studies looking at 4 day/32 hour weeks say it leads to greater productivity rather than the 20% drop you're claiming.

But let's say it does neither. Productivity remains the same. The company makes the same profit as before. What's the problem?

There is some historical precedent here. When the labor movement demanded 40 hour weeks, the capitalist class claimed - as you are doing right now - that restricting workers to less than 60 or 70 hours a week would absolutely tank the economy. It would be a disaster. Cats and dogs, living together. None of that happened.

You say that right after being shown empirical studies that show the per hour productivity increase in many fields basically offsets the lost hours?

I can just as easily say you don't give a shit about the consequences for others' mental health.
Chasing the impossible isn't a route to good mental health.

Chasing the impossible isn't a route to good mental health.

Being a workaholic isn't good for mental health.

Back
Top Bottom