• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Free Will And Free Choice

This back and forth is ancient, and you two are talking past eachother.

Nothing will come of it.

DBT may recall the epic free will discussions a group of us had back in Oh, say from between 2005 to 2010 or so. I typed my fingers to the bone!

Nothing will come of it.

I am on record as being on the side of free will.

*scampers* :joy:

You can make conclusions based on assumptions though.

If we assume free will does not exist then we must conclude that all the decisions we make in our minds are forced somehow. There is no such thing as a mind following logic or reason.

But what is forcing the mind to make conclusion in the unfree model of the mind?

Some other mind?

Reactions: WAB
There are only two options.

The mind can freely make decisions or all decisions are dictated somehow by a brain and the mind is tricked into thinking it made the decision.

Is slavery evil?

The free mind says of course. It is a violation of human liberty. It harms people.

The unfree mind say whatever the brain wants it to say.

There is no value in a judgement that is not made freely.

There is absolutely no evidence that the mind can act independently of the brain and its mind generating activity.

No.

There are just the rational conclusions that come from pretending you know and pretending the mind is not free.

Conclusions like the writings of an unfree mind are babble and meaningless.

And nothing can make the conclusions of an unfree mind meaningful.

So if you say you are unfree either you really are free and have made a free conclusion that has meaning or you are not free and everything you say is meaningless babble.

Is actual free will or is it apparent free will? How can one tell?

Or, put another way, how can that which senses in the past respond freely in the present?

Where does this idea of "apparent free will" come from?

You mean that which is clearly apparent?

If we accept such a thing then we are left with the brain that constantly deceives the mind for some reason.

That is absurd.

Why waste energy deceiving the mind?

Just don't have the mind think it is doing anything.

You ignore a very simple concept in your talk of timing. Feedback. Structured feedback capable of effecting that which caused it.

Structured feedback, yeah, right.

So the world is at the service of the mind?

You're going further than the Cheesits types. Man causes big bang so man could get feedback systems for his pleasure. Indeed. We all know how fond you are of the random. Shoot.

"Let me start for you. "In the beginning there was the mind ... "

You know the drill Untermensche. Back it up.

I expect you'll do it the way you have always done here by inventing new subjective entities.

"Down the rabbit hole" has meanings all about stupidity.

This back and forth is ancient, and you two are talking past eachother.

Nothing will come of it.

DBT may recall the epic free will discussions a group of us had back in Oh, say from between 2005 to 2010 or so. I typed my fingers to the bone!

Nothing will come of it.

I am on record as being on the side of free will.

*scampers* :joy:

You can make conclusions based on assumptions though.

If we assume free will does not exist then we must conclude that all the decisions we make in our minds are forced somehow. There is no such thing as a mind following logic or reason.

But what is forcing the mind to make conclusion in the unfree model of the mind?

Some other mind?

We must conclude minds ..., unsupported subjective assertion as work around for actually looking up scientific studies on processes in the brain and supporting NS.

It's simpler to contrast free with determined rather than forced since force actually requires specification of force source.

If processes are determined it seems rather straight forward to suggest determination is logical "If this then that follows as a mater of Natural Law."

Well since 'mind' is a place holder for hypothetical function rather than explanation by substance of empirical experiment you are asking the stars for an answer to your mental fart. No one need apply.

IOW your argument is looking like the face of a punch drunk palooka totes put up for suckers instead.

There are only two options.

The mind can freely make decisions or all decisions are dictated somehow by a brain and the mind is tricked into thinking it made the decision.

Is slavery evil?

The free mind says of course. It is a violation of human liberty. It harms people.

The unfree mind say whatever the brain wants it to say.

There is no value in a judgement that is not made freely.

There is absolutely no evidence that the mind can act independently of the brain and its mind generating activity.

No.

There are just the rational conclusions that come from pretending you know and pretending the mind is not free.

Conclusions like the writings of an unfree mind are babble and meaningless.

And nothing can make the conclusions of an unfree mind meaningful.

So if you say you are unfree either you really are free and have made a free conclusion that has meaning or you are not free and everything you say is meaningless babble.

You, mr untermensche, being unqualified in neuroscience, reject the work and analysis of those that are not only qualified but actually do the work and the analysis.

Which means that it is you who is babbling, you that is saying whatever comes to mind in defense of your unfounded ideas.

Meanwhile, in the hope of your education:

Abstract

''In the last two decades, animal neurophysiology research has made great strides towards explaining how the brain can enable adaptive action in the face of noisy sensory information. In particular, this work has identified neural signals that perform the role of a ‘decision variable’ which integrates sensory information in favor of a particular outcome up to an action-triggering threshold, consistent with long-standing predictions from mathematical psychology. This has provoked an intensive search for similar neural processes at work in the human brain. In this paper we review the progress that has been made in tracing the dynamics of perceptual decision formation in humans using functional imaging and electrophysiology.''

Introduction

''Exposing the mechanisms underpinning simple sensorimotor transformations is critical to our understanding of how information is processed by the brain in general, including at higher cognitive levels (Shadlen and Kiani, 2013). Simple perceptual decisions can generally be broken down into three main processing stages: sensory encoding, decision formation and motor execution (Sternberg, 1969). The intermediate, and arguably most enigmatic, stage of decision formation has seen a significant escalation in interest recently, owing to a line of monkey neurophysiology studies (Gold and Shadlen, 2007) that has provided strong empirical support for a powerful theoretical framework based on sequential sampling (Smith and Ratcliff, 2004). The core principle of sequential sampling models is that a ‘decision variable’ builds with the integrated evidence in favor of a particular outcome and triggers action upon reaching a threshold (Link and Heath, 1975, Smith and Ratcliff, 2004, Usher and McClelland, 2001).''

Is actual free will or is it apparent free will? How can one tell?

Or, put another way, how can that which senses in the past respond freely in the present?

Mostly apparent.

Actual? It can never be proved.

How can one tell? One can't.

- Because it can do no otherwise.

Just wanted to add that I agree with untermesche's position in the thread.

OK.

We can't tell because he never actually defends his position. He just declares this or that. So we keep pointing out that is all he is doing.

Maybe you can explain how a being who receives information well after the present can successfully form a decision how things are going on in that present.

Reactions: DBT
Yet untermensche's position is not supported by science or evidence....which he has repeatedly rejected.

Your position is not supported by any science.

Wild guesses about the timing of invisible events is not science.

Science does not have the slightest clue what the mind is or what it is doing.

OK.

We can't tell because he never actually defends his position. He just declares this or that. So we keep pointing out that is all he is doing.

Maybe you can explain how a being who receives information well after the present can successfully form a decision how things are going on in that present.

I make self evident statements that can be disputed. Nobody even tries. Are these people free? Maybe not. Maybe just me.

Statements like an unfree mind can't make decisions about truth. Every decision is forced by some unseen "master" in the unfree mind.

To know something is true is to make judgements about it.

If these judgements are not made freely they can't have meaning.

These statements can be disputed. One must be free to do that though.

All I am really proposing is one mind, not two. There is no master mind controlling the mind that experiences.

The brain is the slave to the experienced mind. The brain is constantly trying to give the mind information about the world.

The brain goes to all this trouble because a mind that makes decisions is better than a dumb brain without language or ideas that makes them.

Where we see a free mind is the mind that was abused in childhood and indoctrinated to believe some religion but later in life rejects the ideas because they are unsupported.

That could only be done by a free mind. Why would a brain care what the mind it controls believes? The mind cares.

OK.

1. I make self evident statements that can be disputed. Nobody even tries. Are these people free? Maybe not. Maybe just me.

2. Statements like an unfree mind can't make decisions about truth. Every decision is forced by some unseen "master" in the unfree mind.

3. To know something is true is to make judgements about it.

4. If these judgements are not made freely they can't have meaning.

5. These statements can be disputed. One must be free to do that though.

6. All I am really proposing is one mind, not two. There is no master mind controlling the mind that experiences.

7. The brain is the slave to the experienced mind. The brain is constantly trying to give the mind information about the world.

8. The brain goes to all this trouble because a mind that makes decisions is better than a dumb brain without language or ideas that makes them.

9. Where we see a free mind is the mind that was abused in childhood and indoctrinated to believe some religion but later in life rejects the ideas because they are unsupported.

10. That could only be done by a free mind. Why would a brain care what the mind it controls believes? The mind cares.

So here we go again.

1. The is no evidence in you statements so they can't be 'self' evident. If you are referring to yourself you are not talking to anybody else so there in no need for others to respond. your statement is only to and of yourself. IOW you talk to yourself a lot.

2. Really? Why? How? What? Where? By whom?

3. To others than the one knowing? How?

4. How does meaning depend on judgements made freely? Coerced judgements have meaning do they not. the are, after all, coerced.

5. Machine actions contradict sentient judgements every action by acting other than had been judged. See how easy it is?

6. Non statement. You are making a straw man. It's not even an argument. No one, as far as I know, you don't provide reference, has proposed more than one mind. I propose no minds.

7. First experience is derivative put in place to wish away the requirement to document how something is done. So the brain can only be slave to it by those who propose it is slave, self identified to do so so to speak.

Brains don't try. Brains IAW their structure and history of becoming, process, integrate, etc. They aren't beings beings who we observe trying. Reifying apart isn't useful since it takes away from what the entire entity can be observed doing, in effect saying the being is doing it twice.

8. Again with the personifying of a constituent structure. Doesn't help your communicating at all. While you are at it you even redistribute functions and attributes to the subjective experience at the expense of processing capacities found in the brain. You can't point to experience so you can't give experience the machine that interprets, makes, and produces signals that provide the being capability to articulate. Brains aren't dumb. beings may be dumb. Sheesh!

9. First I disagree that proposed antecedent causal histories produce what you claim. I also disagree with your cause and effect statement. It hasn't been been shown that a particular history produces conditions where one arrives at a particular opinion. Such would be determinism taken to excess. That one can't even connect the instantaneous causes to outcomes is why the singular definition of cause and effect is an open question. And, by the way one reason I support the idea of relative free will. That along with the idea that humans are after the fact behavers. We could spend the rest of the year unwrapping what I just exposed in your flawed thinking.

10. The Preacher is back on his soap box. Since neither the mind nor the brain are beings they don't care.

You propose a mind because you think you need to explain why one might be caring? What a waste of effort. Look to the autonomic nervous system. the basis for most motivation should become evident after you insert voluntary and vegetative aspect drivers of that system to organs in the being. It explains my (re)finding the basis for three trial operant learning 'Ahah' effect in Teleost fishes back in the '60s.

It's amazing what a little actual research can yield.

Yet untermensche's position is not supported by science or evidence....which he has repeatedly rejected.
If you don't want to die you have to become a ghost. I'm not a ghost expert, woo is not one of my strong suits, but I don't think ghosts have physical brains. They have ghost brains. So that ought to settle things in unter's favor.

Statements like an unfree mind can't make decisions about truth. Every decision is forced by some unseen "master" in the unfree mind.

Yes really.

Your questions are ambiguous and meaningless.

Why what? What are you specifically asking about?

How what?

What what?

Where what?

What the hell are you asking about?

1. I make self evident statements that can be disputed. Nobody even tries. Are these people free? Maybe not. Maybe just me.

2. Statements like an unfree mind can't make decisions about truth. Every decision is forced by some unseen "master" in the unfree mind.

3. To know something is true is to make judgements about it.

4. If these judgements are not made freely they can't have meaning.

5. These statements can be disputed. One must be free to do that though.

6. All I am really proposing is one mind, not two. There is no master mind controlling the mind that experiences.

7. The brain is the slave to the experienced mind. The brain is constantly trying to give the mind information about the world.

8. The brain goes to all this trouble because a mind that makes decisions is better than a dumb brain without language or ideas that makes them.

9. Where we see a free mind is the mind that was abused in childhood and indoctrinated to believe some religion but later in life rejects the ideas because they are unsupported.

10. That could only be done by a free mind. Why would a brain care what the mind it controls believes? The mind cares.

So here we go again.

1. The is no evidence in you statements so they can't be 'self' evident. If you are referring to yourself you are not talking to anybody else so there in no need for others to respond. your statement is only to and of yourself. IOW you talk to yourself a lot.

3. To others than the one knowing? How?

You don't know anything about how the mind does anything so stop asking stupid questions.

You clearly don't know what "self evident" means.

Words have meaning apart from me. Every word has a meaning that has nothing to do with me.

So I am not just talking to myself.

I am talking to anybody with a free mind that can read and understand the ideas.

4. How does meaning depend on judgements made freely? Coerced judgements have meaning do they not. the are, after all, coerced.

You are allowed to ask yourself these questions.

If you are forced to say you drive a Mercedes does the statement have meaning or value?

Not the words, but the overall idea. Do the forced words mean you actually drive a Mercedes? Or do the forced nature of the words mean you don't? Is there anyway to tell if the statement "I drive a Mercedes" has meaning if you had no freedom and were somehow forced to say it?

5. Machine actions contradict sentient judgements every action by acting other than had been judged. See how easy it is?

How easy what is? To spew gibberish that only you understand? What the hell are you saying with this meaningless salad?

6. Non statement. You are making a straw man. It's not even an argument. No one, as far as I know, you don't provide reference, has proposed more than one mind. I propose no minds.

What proposes no mind? Is that something you freely propose or are you somehow forced to say it?

If something understands the conditions of the Libet experiment to move the finger at the right time then that is something very mind-like.

The conclusion clowns are trying to make from the Libet garbage is some super mind that is aware of what is happening is forcing the slave mind to think it is having an urge. Since they say all is forced. Nothing is free.

You clearly have no clue about this research.

Where is justice in the world? Where is the number "3"?

You can't have a concept without a mind that understands concepts.

Your position is silly hogwash. Unsupported by anything.

You failed miserably.

You have no ability to deal with ideas because you have no mind.

If you don't want to die you have to become a ghost. I'm not a ghost expert, woo is not one of my strong suits, but I don't think ghosts have physical brains. They have ghost brains. So that ought to settle things in unter's favor.

It is a lie to say I have ever rejected any legitimate science.

Asking people to guess when they begin to have an urge to move is not science.

It never will be science.

This ghost you speak of that somehow survives death?

I propose the mind is a product of the brain but it has a measure of feedback control.

If you sit still and do away with distractions you can calmly use your mind to move your arm in any way you desire, within anatomical limits.

If you are in a dark forest and you hear a very loud sound of an animal and kind of see something running very fast at you then under those circumstances you may have a lot of reflexive movement and may not be able to control your movements very well.

And living is both. Freely moving at times and reflexively being moved at times.

When young you might find yourself reflexively moving towards the pretty females if you allow it.

Yes really.

Your questions are ambiguous and meaningless.

Why what? What are you specifically asking about?

How what?

What what?

Where what?

What the hell are you asking about?

RE>

Really?

Why?

How?

What?

Where?

By whom?

Really? fdi being incredulous about " Statements like an unfree mind can't make decisions about truth."

Nonquitter: "Your questions are ambiguous and meaningless."

Why what? Why? A statement from (only interpretation of 'like' that makes sense) and unfree mind can't make decisions.

How What? How? "Every decision is forced by some unseen "master" in the unfree mind.

What what? What? is "some unseen master

Why where? Where? is "
Every decision is forced" and "unfree mind."

What the hell are you asking about? The connection of Everything you declare in your nonsensical sentence to anything meaningful to a philosophical discussion about free will.

You completely missed responding to "by whom?"

I leave it to you untermensche to figure that out from those two awful sentences.

Really? fdi being incredulous about " Statements like an unfree mind can't make decisions about truth."

Feigning incredulity can be done by any idiot. On any matter. It is shit criticism.

All it shows is the will to act in such a dishonorable manner.

You must not have a mind because you don't want to think about anything.

What could it possibly mean that an unfree mind can make no decision about truth? That is hard to think about for something without a mind. I know.

What is a truth decision? Perhaps this threw you?

A truth decision is when you decide some idea is true.

Like when you decide the mind is not free. That is a truth decision.

What would it mean for an unfree mind to conclude it was not free? Is some idea one is forced to have a "conclusion"?

But you conclude you have no mind.

You are even sillier.

With what are you arguing with if you have no mind?

The idea that you have no mind but also have intellectual positions that involve concepts is a clear contradiction. Concepts and ideas only exist in the mind. Show me the study that has found the cells of the brain where ideas reside. The mind is proposed because ideas exist and ideas are not physical entities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom