• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

From what Jesus said in the bible, would you say it was evidence he was good?

Exacto.
He was an ignorant git (if he existed at all, which is possible though unlikely). All areas of science contradict most of what he recommended: "Don't save for the morrow" (economy), "Give the other cheek" (psychology, particularly applied behavior analysis), "There be eunuchs which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake" (medicine), etc.
I don't know if economic theory really disagrees with Jesus' recommendation, there. It's based on the assumption that there would be no tomorrow, what with the end of the world coming up soon. That certainly informed Reagan's Secretary of the Interior's ideas for land and resource management, what with the world ending almost immediately.

I disagree. The situation is there was no date given for the end of the world. So the situation is similar to what everyone saving has, "How do I know I will live until retirement age?". Well, you don't, your end could come any time, but there are maths to calc the risk for that versus the benefits of saving.

Actually Jesus did give a time frame. The Kingdom of Heaven was to arrive in the lifetime of the men around him. Matthew16:28:

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

When that didn't happen, other gospel and bible story writers had to come up with a new deadline and to avoid the embarrassment of being caught wrong on a deadline for the apocalypse again, they started getting vague "no one knows...thief in the night...1000 years is but to god one moment..." blah blah blah

That's not a date. It's a lifetime. And a lifetime contains many morrows. My comparison with life savings, retirement and the imprevisibility of death still holds. It's economically unsound and socially irresponsible. Money makes the world go round, its accumulation is the stuff big and worthwhile projects are made of
... and fuck Jebus, that's what. :)

In Jesus's defence, the Gospel According to Connor McCloud was written by a guy who's still around.

Sorry, he's got waaay too much human blood on his hands. Just last week in NY a congregation took his directions to have uppity children stoned to death. The congregation, including his mother, father and half sister beat him to death in the church sanctuary, apparently because he wanted to leave the church. The sword he claims to have brought is wielded not just against enemies but against the believers family members AT HIS DIRECTION.

nstructed his followers to kill non-believers

I missed that part. Where in the bible does Jesus say to his followers to kill non-believers? I thought that was merely a story he was telling where somebody other than him gave that order.

Matthew 13, see also Luke 8, Mark 4

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

So he can convert and heal all but won't? Tch, tch.

As religious leaders go, I would say that Jesus is of comparable goodness to the Buddha.

I would place both of them high above Mohammed.

That would depend upon your perspective. He is going to remove the destructive populace so that the rest can live forever in peace upon a paradise earth. To the former that's not so good but to the latter it is.

How very "Christian of you" to feel good in the suffering of others, as long as it gets you what you want for your own personal gain.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck, man. A bird's never brought me a sandwich. That's some bullshit right there. I really dislike the way that this supposed "All Loving" god is playing favourites amongst the humans. :mad:

I had a pet crow that would throw dog food at me... does that count?

Apart from the miracles and healings, would you say that what Jesus said to others was evidence of him being a good person?
I would say that what you are asking about doesn't even show that Jesus was a real person. If Jesus wasn't a real person, then saying that he was good makes little sense.
If you have read any Superman comics, does what you find in them tell you that Superman was a good, (or a bad), person? Does it tell you that Superman was a real person?
Does it make any sense to ask if Superman was any kind of person, just because there's some writing with him in it?

Yes, it does. Superman is not real, but he was written as a kind of person, with desires, drives, intent, and his own moral code. It is that set of attributes that people enjoy discussing. that Superman was not a real entity is irrelevant in hypothetical conversations.

In the movie "Stand by Me" one kid asks another who would win in a fight, Mighty Mouse, or superman. the other kid said it was a stupid question because Mighty Mouse was a cartoon, and Superman was a person. To which the other kid responded, "But it would be a good fight, right?

Last edited:
The story of the good Samaritan. I like that story.

And the other stuff he said that challenged the racist exclusivist culture

Like when he wouldn't heal the daughter of the gentile woman because he only came for the sake of the Jews? He wasn't there to waste his healing power on 'the dogs?' That's the exclusivist culture he challenged?

Like when he wouldn't heal the daughter of the gentile woman because he only came for the sake of the Jews? He wasn't there to waste his healing power on 'the dogs?' That's the exclusivist culture he challenged?

There is only one thing worse than discussing the bible with a christian. That is discussing it with a "freethinker" lol
Did I mention any verses about dogs or gentile women? :rolleyes:

There is only one thing worse than discussing the bible with a christian. That is discussing it with a "freethinker" lol
Lol back at you, W.
Did I mention any verses about dogs or gentile women?
No, you didn't. That's why I brought it up. Those verses seem counter to your claim. Is Jesus still a challenger of racist exclusivism if he's sometimes racist or exclusivist?

Lol back at you, W.
Did I mention any verses about dogs or gentile women?
No, you didn't. That's why I brought it up. Those verses seem counter to your claim. Is Jesus still a challenger of racist exclusivism if he's sometimes racist or exclusivist?
The Jesus of the gospels comes through many voices. You are either pointing to Mark or Matthew. In either version jesus ends up praising the woman and her child is healed, so your evidence is ambiguous at best I'd say FWIW.
I'd also say FWIW that jebus of the gospels challenges the racist exclusionist temple cult on enough occaisions

But..I've no inclination to argue about the bible anyway so I''l leave it there, though you're welcome to reply of course

I'd also say FWIW that jebus of the gospels challenges the racist exclusionist temple cult on enough occaisions
Well, yeah, if you want him to. Like the rest of the Books, you can cherry pick to support anything.
Those that want him to be racist, for whatever reason, point to those verses. He never retracted his statement that he was only there for the Jews, though he was willing to heal her kid after she humiliated herself.
But I have known a few racists who would make exceptions for those who knew their place.

He never retracted his statement that he was only there for the Jews, f.
the gospels aren't the work of one person. Why do you expect them to look like they are?
It is ridiculous to cherry pick something from a gospel and expect it to be consistent with some other cherry picked verse from that or even worse another gospel.
I assume if we are on this forum we understand this and don't treat the bible as if it's the inerrant word of god.

The OP asks for evidence he was good. I presented some evidence yet you want to argue about it by trying to present another verse from another book in an edited and redacted collection of books by multiple authors, as if the whole thing is supposed to be 100% consistent.

Not any more good than anyone else and in some ways worse.

He snubs his mother, his family, a woman at the well until she agrees with him that she's a dog, tells his followers to hate their families, tells a grieving follower to not bother going home to bury his dead father...I'm not feeling it.
Seriously? Holy shit. No pun intended.

Fuck, man. A bird's never brought me a sandwich. That's some bullshit right there. I really dislike the way that this supposed "All Loving" god is playing favourites amongst the humans. :mad:

There there.... You're just mad that you never got a sandwich from a bird. I may say that I got sandwiches from a bird in the distant past., At one stage she even brought beer with the sandwiches and gave all of that and more freely as she did to all comers (--- pun intended :) ---). or so some said, But maybe :-

I am Jesus' little Lamb,
Yes, by Jesus,
CHRIST I am,

or one of those favourites among humans you mention, and that bird did what she did just for me. Ah, the good old days......

Not any more good than anyone else and in some ways worse.

He snubs his mother, his family, a woman at the well until she agrees with him that she's a dog, tells his followers to hate their families, tells a grieving follower to not bother going home to bury his dead father...I'm not feeling it.
Seriously? Holy shit. No pun intended.

Yep. All in the bible.

Well, his "father" or alter ego said that sinners should be condemned unto the fourth generation of descendants. And that was after Daddy drowned every living thing on earth...

And it seems I recall JC telling folks they need to stone their disobedient children to death. Not to mention a lot of Trumpian threats to send anybody who doesn't worship him to burn in hell...

Back
Top Bottom