• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

From what Jesus said in the bible, would you say it was evidence he was good?

markhope

Basic Beliefs
unsure
Apart from the miracles and healings, would you say that what Jesus said to others was evidence of him being a good person?

The things that Jesus says in the gospels are evidence that the writers putting things into his mouth were familiar with wisdom literature from a variety of cultures. The character lied (John 7:8-10), cheated (Matt 17:27), stole (Luke 19:31) and cussed (Mark 11:12-25). Probably no worse than most of my buddies.

If you'd ask Jesus, he'd say none is good except God alone. *wink*

The things that Jesus says in the gospels are evidence that the writers putting things into his mouth were familiar with wisdom literature from a variety of cultures. The character lied (John 7:8-10), cheated (Matt 17:27), stole (Luke 19:31) and cussed (Mark 11:12-25). Probably no worse than most of my buddies.

Sun of a bitch, now I'm going to have to look that up and read the bible.

Not any more good than anyone else and in some ways worse.

He snubs his mother, his family, a woman at the well until she agrees with him that she's a dog, tells his followers to hate their families, tells a grieving follower to not bother going home to bury his dead father...I'm not feeling it.

Dude might not have been much on drankin' himself, but he was definitely the go-to guy when you needed someone to make a beer run (John 2:1-10).

The nonresistance to evil teachings are so extreme that some apologists insist they applied to that day and age only when local law enforcement didn't exist. Ditto the business about giving away your stuff to whoever asks for it -- in fact, giving them more than they ask for. These teachings, plus the emphasis on scorning possessions and giving your stuff to the poor, reflect on the End Times delusion the guy had (also the fact that he seemed to go around free-loading everywhere.) And then there's the horseshit about, whatever you ask in my name, I will do it (which must be tough when players from 2 opposing football teams in west Texas pray to Jesus for a win.) That teaching was so off-kilter that C.S. Lewis mentioned it as a conundrum -- a scripture that must not mean what it says.

The nonresistance to evil teachings are so extreme that some apologists insist they applied to that day and age only when local law enforcement didn't exist. Ditto the business about giving away your stuff to whoever asks for it -- in fact, giving them more than they ask for. These teachings, plus the emphasis on scorning possessions and giving your stuff to the poor, reflect on the End Times delusion the guy had (also the fact that he seemed to go around free-loading everywhere.) And then there's the horseshit about, whatever you ask in my name, I will do it (which must be tough when players from 2 opposing football teams in west Texas pray to Jesus for a win.) That teaching was so off-kilter that C.S. Lewis mentioned it as a conundrum -- a scripture that must not mean what it says.

attachment.php

Apart from the miracles and healings, would you say that what Jesus said to others was evidence of him being a good person?

"Do what I say or my dad is going to punish you"

He was a pouty little spoilt brat having to resort to threats in order to get any respect. Oh, wait. He didn´t get any in his own life apart from his private boy´s club. He was the perpetual passive aggressive victim making unrealistic demands on people and then feeling sorry for himself. Wow, did he sit on a holier-than-thou-high horse. We call it Jesus-complex for a reason. It´s not flattery.

I would put him in the category of annoying cunt.

The whole christian godhead is little else besides the ultimate in dysfunctional codependency. So bothered by how we act that he had to sacrifice himself to himself so he could get over how it makes him feel. WTF.

He also attacked the merchants in the temple with a whip, destroyed a fig tree because it wasn't bearing fruit outside the fig season (well, duh), and drowned some poor farmer's entire herd of innocent swine. Obvious anger-management issues.

Some godless heathens have doubted whether you would actually find a herd of swine in a Jewish country, but they are wrong.

That would depend upon your perspective. He is going to remove the destructive populace so that the rest can live forever in peace upon a paradise earth. To the former that's not so good but to the latter it is.

He also attacked the merchants in the temple with a whip, destroyed a fig tree because it wasn't bearing fruit outside the fig season (well, duh), and drowned some poor farmer's entire herd of innocent swine. Obvious anger-management issues.

Some godless heathens have doubted whether you would actually find a herd of swine in a Jewish country, but they are wrong.

Well you'd find pigs in modern secular, Marxist kibbutzs, but in ancient times? Harder to find an openly secular atheist Jew back then, I imagine.

But yeah, makes the story kinda suspicious, eh?

Ha, maybe the herd of swine belonged to the occupying Roman forces, not to the local Jews. Checkmate, atheists! :D

Ha, maybe the herd of swine belonged to the occupying Roman forces, not to the local Jews. Checkmate, atheists! :D

Not so fast...would Jews be living next to Roman pig pastures?

I know the Jew and the Roman can co-exist

O ye of little faith. The Bible, which was written by reliable eye-witnesses, tells us that the Jews and their Roman invaders were on very friendly terms with each other and were next-door neighbours:

When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people, he returned to Capernaum. At that time the highly valued slave of a Roman officer was sick and near death. When the officer heard about Jesus, he sent some respected Jewish elders to ask him to come and heal his slave. So they earnestly begged Jesus to help the man. “If anyone deserves your help, he does,” they said, “for he loves the Jewish people and even built a synagogue for us.”

So Jesus went with them. But just before they arrived at the house, the officer sent some friends to say, “Lord, don’t trouble yourself by coming to my home, for I am not worthy of such an honor. I am not even worthy to come and meet you. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed. I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come. And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this,’ they do it.”

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to the crowd that was following him, he said, “I tell you, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!” And when the officer’s friends returned to his house, they found the slave completely healed. (Luke 7:1-10)

Can atheists prove the herd of swine wasn't owned by the Romans? :pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly:

O ye of little faith. The Bible, which was written by reliable eye-witnesses, tells us that the Jews and their Roman invaders were on very friendly terms with each other and were next-door neighbours:

When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people, he returned to Capernaum. At that time the highly valued slave of a Roman officer was sick and near death. When the officer heard about Jesus, he sent some respected Jewish elders to ask him to come and heal his slave. So they earnestly begged Jesus to help the man. “If anyone deserves your help, he does,” they said, “for he loves the Jewish people and even built a synagogue for us.”

So Jesus went with them. But just before they arrived at the house, the officer sent some friends to say, “Lord, don’t trouble yourself by coming to my home, for I am not worthy of such an honor. I am not even worthy to come and meet you. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed. I know this because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, ‘Go,’ and they go, or ‘Come,’ and they come. And if I say to my slaves, ‘Do this,’ they do it.”

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed. Turning to the crowd that was following him, he said, “I tell you, I haven’t seen faith like this in all Israel!” And when the officer’s friends returned to his house, they found the slave completely healed. (Luke 7:1-10)

Can atheists prove the herd of swine wasn't owned by the Romans? :pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly:

He was a centurion. The Roman army was professional. This guy was not raising pigs on the side. Duuuuuh..

Back
Top Bottom