• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Fuck Football... really...

Zeluvia

Basic Beliefs
Thinking
As a computer programmer who thoroughly enjoys sports as well as reading psychology and history I don't know how to feel about this thread.

I don't understand video games. Is there skill involved? Do you just muck your way though and figure it out as you go? Can you win? Can you even finish? Any possibility of improving your physical fitness? What is the goal? The passage of time? Seems to be about as purposeful as a fucking yo-yo.

My biggest waste of time is probably this or drinking. At least here I might learn something. Okay, so I guess it's probably drinking which is still better than a yo-yo.

I don't understand video games. Is there skill involved? Do you just muck your way though and figure it out as you go? Can you win? Can you even finish? Any possibility of improving your physical fitness? What is the goal? The passage of time? Seems to be about as purposeful as a fucking yo-yo.

My biggest waste of time is probably this or drinking. At least here I might learn something. Okay, so I guess it's probably drinking which is still better than a yo-yo.

Apparently some people find video games fun and a good way to pass the time. Unfortunately for them they aren't a great means of personal or intellectual progress. Fortunately for me I find making personal and intellectual progress fun.

Of course there is skill involved. It's like any other task which requires eye-hand coordination and quick reactions. A person can improve their performance through practice. No great physical strength is required, and training for video games will not increase physical strength, but this is also true of chess.

It's fun. What's to understand beyond that?

I imagine (and this is a wild guess) that most of that traffic comes from regular joes streaming unimportant crap to each other. For instance, I play Star Wars: the Old Republic, and when the guild does a raid/operation (PvE content that requires a largish number of participants), we will often stream our run so that guildmates who didn't make the run can watch our shenanigans and make fun of the others when they screw up. And yes, we use Twitch for this kind of in-guild mockery. ;)

And baseball, and wrestling....

Based on a new report from Qwilt, a video delivery and analytics company, Twitch is by far the leading live-streaming site in the United States, coming in at over 43% for all live-streaming traffic by volume. This is more than ESPN, Major League Baseball, and the WWE combined.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tw...t-live-streaming-site-in-the-us/1100-6419226/

Down with jocks, nerds pwn

But Zeluvia, have you seen some of these games? They are totally ridiculous...just like getting your head screwed up by repeated hits. I don't bother with either one. I do however think it is important to stay in shape...but that is not an internet activity.

Football and the video games are all about money for their promoters...unless it is informal between people who actually play as amateurs.

Video games are like any other games, and depending on the particular game, can require lots of skill or very little skill (usually those games based more on luck). One can take chess as an example of a traditional game that requires plenty of skill.

Actually, the people making money on twitch, besides twitch, are amateur video game players. I like that about it. I like anything where people can make money doing things they like to do and being free to decide when and how much they do it.

The big dogs haven't figured out how to get rich from this yet, but they are working on it.

This is a big argument FOR net neutrality, it is a form of commerce.

And yes, I watch twitch, to learn how to play better.

Games do require skills, but no, they don't require muscle. Reaction time and brains. And raiding in a PVE guild requires a fuckton of people skills = p

Based on a new report from Qwilt, a video delivery and analytics company, Twitch is by far the leading live-streaming site in the United States, coming in at over 43% for all live-streaming traffic by volume. This is more than ESPN, Major League Baseball, and the WWE combined.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tw...t-live-streaming-site-in-the-us/1100-6419226/

But Zeluvia, have you seen some of these games? They are totally ridiculous...just like getting your head screwed up by repeated hits. I don't bother with either one. I do however think it is important to stay in shape...but that is not an internet activity.

Football and the video games are all about money for their promoters...unless it is informal between people who actually play as amateurs.
You don't like playing any games?

Of course there is skill involved. It's like any other task which requires eye-hand coordination and quick reactions. A person can improve their performance through practice. No great physical strength is required, and training for video games will not increase physical strength, but this is also true of chess.

One of my son's friends is a major in the US Air Force. He was an F-16 pilot but he transitioned to flying drones. He now is training drone pilots. He said that they have much better success training video gamers than they do training real pilots how to fly the drones. Pilots have the tendency to depend on physical clues to how well the plane is flying and absent them they are reluctant to fly the drone to its maximum. It sounds a little suspect to me, especially the suggestion that the US Air Force has any real pilots. (I flew for the US Navy, I am honor bound to remind any Air Force pilots that at best they are only half trained.)

So yes, video games are good for something.

I don't understand video games.

Wait, what? How old are you? 50?

Is there skill involved?

Depending on the game; yes, *of course* there's skill involved.

Do you just muck your way though and figure it out as you go?

Not generally, no. Duh?

Can you win?

...It generally wouldn't be a game if you couldn't.

Can you even finish?

When's the last time you played a videogame? Back when pacman was the hot new shit? Yes, of course you can finish.

Any possibility of improving your physical fitness?

Depends on your peripherals.

Unless you include something like increased brain plasticity under physical fitness, in which case the answer is a resounding yes.

What is the goal? The passage of time?

Must be so exciting living in 'no fun allowed unless it has a specific goal' land.

As for me, I tend to like a wild assortment of different games; I like multiplayer sandboxes like Rust, Dayz, or Eve-Online, which you can almost approach as if they are a grand sociological experiment; always expect the weird, unusual and just plain old unexpected emergent gameplay to arise from those games. I also like Role-Playing Games with deep storylines and narrative; I find them much more memorable and enjoyable than a movie. I also like involved simulation games and grand strategy games; games which challenge you on an intellectual level and force you to make smart choices.

There's a lot more to videogames than Call of Duty.

Can you win?

...It generally wouldn't be a game if you couldn't.

So I have been completely screwed by Will Wright, having played the non-game Sim City since Germany was two countries. ;) :D

Video games were developed to show how much people could learn in a short time. The original computer game had no graphics at all, it was completely text based. I have struggled for a day trying to remember the name of it. It started out that you are in a field. You had to type in commands to try to find the entrance to a cave and then to navigate through the cave picking up useful devices. It was the basis for similar games for decades after.

I am talking about the middle 1970's. The game was developed on mainframe computers which we time shared remotely, often through telex terminals. Maybe some of my fellow generation here can remember the name of it.

Video games were developed to show how much people could learn in a short time. The original computer game had no graphics at all, it was completely text based. I have struggled for a day trying to remember the name of it. It started out that you are in a field. You had to type in commands to try to find the entrance to a cave and then to navigate through the cave picking up useful devices. It was the basis for similar games for decades after.

I am talking about the middle 1970's. The game was developed on mainframe computers which we time shared remotely, often through telex terminals. Maybe some of my fellow generation here can remember the name of it.
I believe you're thinking of Colossal Cave Adventure. It was ported to many different systems and I remember playing it on an Amstrad CPC in the mid 1980s, but it was developed for a PDP mainframe in the mid 1970s according to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

Now now Zeluvia. Football and baseball are the two biggest watched/experienced events on the planet.

I can see how stupid and childish wrestling has become today but football and baseball? Maybe if one has actually played football to appreciate all the mental challenges that it drops in your lap and face then one can get a better respect for the sport. Even though football is basically controlled violence there is a larger amount of mental discipline involved. And baseball is the perfect sport as no one person can ever be "bigger" than the game. Baseball IMO is a most beautiful game unlike that chasing of the pig skin which is a game of pure utter physical pain and violence. And wrestling today is actually embarrassing as it is like some kind of freak show.

Those of us who are old enough remember the suckity lame ass video games in the 70's that we thought were so cool, we are astounding and amazed in how far we have come. We have seen them advance as and along with the internet. And today some of the games are pretty cool and realistic to the point of obsession. I belong to a few sites like World of Tanks and Assassin. Yet Z they do not really float my boat as a lot of us are not from generation "I" or "E." What one does with their finite sands of time in their own personal hourglass is purely up to them. There has got to be a butt load of games that I can load on my ipad to fill every hour of the day. So where does it end or begin? Hence the huge growth and demand. And demand generates the most important aspect of them all, $$$!

As the article states this growth with on line gaming, streaming and interactive user participation will only continue to grow. The huge corporate/ media interest are and will be positioning themselves to reap this increase in user activity. IMO the media interest will further consolidate and restrict net access to fatten their coffers to the demise of individual net neutrality and freedom. And we all know that the accessibility to down load speed in gaming and streaming will be offered to all. Yeh all for a price of course. So those who do not pay shall be those who do not play. Or they play waiting and watching the bouncing beach ball as the streaming pipe has been pinched for profit. Just like baseball and football has been marketed and the ROI has reaped $$$billions every season so will online gaming and streaming.

And just think we can still in this hi tech, low touch world, tune in and listen to the game on the AM radio. Yet watching guys getting their heads rung and brains turned into hamburger is just barely free if you can get it on the local TV stations. The airwaves are still free in America. For how long, who knows? Now streaming, that is another story.

Peace girl

Pegasus

How about movie and music stars? Are they worthy all that money?

Pro athletes spend their early years preparing for it. They do work hard and compete for a limited number of positions.

The NBA and NFL can be poetry in motion at times, no less than Olympic ice skating.

Pro sports are as real as it can get.

TV wrestling is not a sport, it is a scripted soap opera.

Pro sports serves an important function as social glue un cites and nationally.

Nerds need to get out in the street and toss a football around....maybe even choose up sides and have a game.

I find that sentiment hilarious. Pro sports are a game. They are big business. I can't possibly imagine what you could be trying to say when you state that pro sports are "as real as it gets."

I suppose the OP title was the natural evolution from the Lingerie Football League.

I find that sentiment hilarious. Pro sports are a game. They are big business. I can't possibly imagine what you could be trying to say when you state that pro sports are "as real as it gets."

Hilarious? Maybe to you.

Pro athletes play to win. It is not scripted or predetermined. Around here the Seahawks run to the Super Bowl was high drama. Wilson vs Manning as David vs Goliath.

Over the weekend I watched two of the most intense pro boxing fights I have ever seen.

It is not just pro sports . Nationally there are numerous adult hockey, football, and basketball leagues.

What I think is hilarious, more like sad, is people who play video games thinking themselves winners by killing imaginary opponents. The video game industry is far worse than anything you can make of pro sports.

Back
Top Bottom