• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Gas almost $7 a gallon

He may go down as one of our greatest foreign policy presidents.
The Afghanistan withdrawal was especially successful. Maybe Norwegians can give him the Nobel Peace Prize for that.
He's the first president to do something about the supply chain (the chips). He got an infrastructure bill passed. I think that he'll pass several important bills during the upcoming lame duck session that will be incredibly important.
Yes, he did pass some good bills. However, what bill(s) do you think he will able to pass in the three weeks (not counting the holiday week between Christmas and New Year's) remaining in this Congress?
And now he's brought the price of gas down substantially despite an Europe war and the supply chain mess.
And how exactly did he do that? Other than by draining the strategic reserve which is not supposed to be drained to score political points ahead of an election.
I think that we all should join Derec and sing "for he's a golly good fellow" to praise Biden!
I would not go that far for sure. Like almost all politicians, he is a very mixed bag.
I wouldn't call the Afghanistan withdraw "especially successful". It was messy and chaotic. As most withdraws are. But I agree with you that he did it, and the US is probably in a better position to be done with Afghanistan and out of there. The stated purpose of the strategic reserve is to "... SPR, the world's largest supply of emergency crude oil was established primarily to reduce the impact of disruptions in supplies of petroleum products and to carry out obligations of the United States under the international energy program." I'd say that we had some disruptions in the supply chain!

Regarding important bills going before the lame duck the huge one is the Revising the Electoral Count act. This is vital. Stunning that republicans are against it. But this bill would prevent future coups like what Trump had planned in 2020. They might also pass equal marriage protection laws, Ukraine funding, and of course our favorite cause: helping the DACA people.

Of course my above post was being ironic. I was picking on conservatives blaming Biden for high gas prices. The fact is that presidents have very little power to control the price of oil/gas.

The Afghanistan withdrawal was especially successful. Maybe Norwegians can give him the Nobel Peace Prize for that.
The difficulties the US dealt with in the withdrawal was mainly due to America not turning its back on the Afghans that helped during the... occupationish thing. Has the US military just left, things could have gone more smoothly for the US, but worse for the Afghans and terribly for the collaborators.

It was a messy withdrawal, but on a scale for withdrawals in areas where we didn't win, it actually went pretty well. Especially with the speed the Afghan military evaporated. Most people thought it'd take a month or months, not hours.
He's the first president to do something about the supply chain (the chips). He got an infrastructure bill passed. I think that he'll pass several important bills during the upcoming lame duck session that will be incredibly important.
Yes, he did pass some good bills. However, what bill(s) do you think he will able to pass in the three weeks (not counting the holiday week between Christmas and New Year's) remaining in this Congress?
Let's be clear, he managed to pass a lot more legislation that anyone thought possible in the first two years with a 50-50 senate.

All things equal, it is hard to imagine a President doing any better under the political, medical, and geopolitical circumstances.

And now he's brought the price of gas down substantially despite an Europe war and the supply chain mess.
And how exactly did he do that? Other than by draining the strategic reserve which is not supposed to be drained to score political points ahead of an election.
I think that we all should join Derec and sing "for he's a golly good fellow" to praise Biden!
I would not go that far for sure. Like almost all politicians, he is a very mixed bag.
I wouldn't call the Afghanistan withdraw "especially successful". It was messy and chaotic. As most withdraws are. But I agree with you that he did it, and the US is probably in a better position to be done with Afghanistan and out of there. The stated purpose of the strategic reserve is to "... SPR, the world's largest supply of emergency crude oil was established primarily to reduce the impact of disruptions in supplies of petroleum products and to carry out obligations of the United States under the international energy program." I'd say that we had some disruptions in the supply chain!

Regarding important bills going before the lame duck the huge one is the Revising the Electoral Count act. This is vital. Stunning that republicans are against it. But this bill would prevent future coups like what Trump had planned in 2020. They might also pass equal marriage protection laws, Ukraine funding, and of course our favorite cause: helping the DACA people.

Of course my above post was being ironic. I was picking on conservatives blaming Biden for high gas prices. The fact is that presidents have very little power to control the price of oil/gas.
Actually, as I thought about it more, Biden should get some credit for the price of gas going down. Because he strategically leaned on the SPR during tight supply periods, using the reserves exactly as they are intended, to lower the cost of gas.

Saw $2.99 here yesterday. It's much less in other parts of the state.

it's pathetic that his opponents are pretending he's as stupid and ineffective as TFG.
It’s pathetic that ‘pugs can tell the MAGAts that Biden is as stupid and ineffective as Cheato, and the morons BELIEVE it!!
And why did they blame Biden for gas prices when they were high, but now that gas is below 3 bucks a gallon, at least where I live, they aren't giving Biden any credit. Of course, those of us with half a brain know that the president can't control the price of a global commodity, but I guess the MAGAs and company only blame a Democrat when things are bad, but never given a Dem any credit when things improve.

An expert on gas prices mocked Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) on Tuesday for launching a nonsensical attack on President Joe Biden's recent decision to restock the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

A couple of days ago, Boebert attacked Biden for buying up 3 million oil barrels to restock the reserve after he sold off an estimated 180 million barrels earlier this year in an effort to lower spiking gas prices.

"Trump stocked up our reserves at record-low prices," she wrote on Twitter. "Then, Biden emptied it out to get through the midterms. Now, he’s going to stock it back up at a MUCH higher price."

But Patrick De Haan, a gas price tracker who in the past has been critical of Biden for not doing enough to boost gasoline supply, pointed out in response that the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is now buying back oil barrels at a significantly lower rate than what is sold them for earlier this year.

"Average selling price $96 [at the time of the sales], including some sales close to $120, and the price today is $75," he wrote in response. "You're not the best at math."

He also noted that the Strategic Petroleum Reserve saw a net decline in barrels during Trump's tenure, dropping from 695 million barrels in 2017 to 634 million by 2021.

This thread is nostalgic. I remember back in the ole days when I used to have to visit a gas station. Have they changed much? Do they still have horrible coffee, smelly bathrooms & those awesome window squeegees & gas pumps caked in germs? Do they still get that nice old lady you let cut you in line only to discovery she'd spend 15 minutes picking scratch off lottery tickets?

An expert on gas prices mocked Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) on Tuesday for launching a nonsensical attack on President Joe Biden's recent decision to restock the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

A couple of days ago, Boebert attacked Biden for buying up 3 million oil barrels to restock the reserve after he sold off an estimated 180 million barrels earlier this year in an effort to lower spiking gas prices.

"Trump stocked up our reserves at record-low prices," she wrote on Twitter. "Then, Biden emptied it out to get through the midterms. Now, he’s going to stock it back up at a MUCH higher price."

But Patrick De Haan, a gas price tracker who in the past has been critical of Biden for not doing enough to boost gasoline supply, pointed out in response that the Strategic Petroleum Reserve is now buying back oil barrels at a significantly lower rate than what is sold them for earlier this year.

"Average selling price $96 [at the time of the sales], including some sales close to $120, and the price today is $75," he wrote in response. "You're not the best at math."

He also noted that the Strategic Petroleum Reserve saw a net decline in barrels during Trump's tenure, dropping from 695 million barrels in 2017 to 634 million by 2021.
Yea, the republican complaining about using the federal reserve has been a real head scratcher! It was set up to smooth the highs and lows prices found in the oil industry. So, sell it when the price is high, wait until price falls, then buy to restock. Pocket 4 billion dollar profit. Lower the price for consumers. Any republican who doesn't understand this should immediately resign their office.

This thread is nostalgic. I remember back in the ole days when I used to have to visit a gas station. Have they changed much? Do they still have horrible coffee, smelly bathrooms & those awesome window squeegees & gas pumps caked in germs? Do they still get that nice old lady you let cut you in line only to discovery she'd spend 15 minutes picking scratch off lottery tickets?
Oh, you must have a Tesla? If so, very jealous!

Nailed it. :ROFLMAO:
So stinking jealous!! My next car will be a tesla. My sedan only has 60,000 miles. I just can't justify it trading it in yet. But someday......

I still think new Tesla's are over priced. I got mine used for $32,000. 2018 Model 3 Long Range AWD with 50k miles on it. Near perfect condition with premium white interior. The monthly payments are INSANE at $600ish a month. However I went from spending $180 a month on gas to $54 (off peak hour charging) a month on my electric bill with the bonus of no oil changes. I can't wait for the feds to lower the interest rates so I can refinance the loan sometime next year and then (after getting my bonus) fully pay it off at a lower interest rate without penalty. Considering the savings over 5 years on operation costs around $8,000, I plan to sell it & either break even or profit then start over again with another used Tesla that's still under warranty.

The only downsides to the Tesla (IMO) are hurricanes knocking out power and leaving me without means to charge the car and Elon with his dumbass Tweets. At least the first issue can be addressed with a gas generator. :whistle:

Edit: I Put it on Toro once at $99.00 a day and they kept it for a week which paid for one month but I canned Toro because it was too nerve wrecking even though everything went well.

What has it been, like two weeks? No, they haven't cleaned the restrooms yet.

Back
Top Bottom