• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God is My Superpower

If God is watching, why does He do nothing?
God has intervened many times as shown in the bible.

Evidence? The bible saying so is not evidence.
That's the concept of the theology (if "interested" in entertaining the idea, hypothetically ). I'm not looking for anyone's agreement or approval on the bible matter.

You said “God has intervened many times as shown in the bible.”

The bible does not “show” any such thing. It merely asserts it. That is not evidence.
...and therefore reasoning will have it, that "ALL things written in Antiquity not just the bible; the writings, reports, witness statements & testimonies that make claims of individual events around everyday life are "factually" mere assertions". Ok got it.

People still rejected him, as it was rejecting Jesus.

So God got pissed off at this and took his ball and went home, and now won’t intervene at all, like when Hitler and Stalin slaughtered tens of millions of people and God did exactly jack shit to stop them, even though he knows everything and is omnipotent? Yeah, makes sense. :rolleyes:
Here at the least, there's some little semblance to 'entertain the idea', 'envisioning' the logic behind the biblical belief, although be it, you have a different, and imo a distorted view of the bible than I.

I honestly don’t know what you are trying to say above. I am merely pointing out that according to you, God has intervened many times in human history, and I am asking you, who believes this claim without a shred of evidence to support it, why he does not do so now.
The description in context where God intervenes is written in the bible, i.e. because 'it says so'. In that, I mean narratively speaking... just making sure we have the same understanding in context e.g. Like God taking the Israelites out of Egypt etc..

The many writers are what made it for me, and others like me, which was a gradual process. There are many different aspects to it really. Just one example, is the psychological aspects described from their emotional state/psyche, as being the writers, or the people they describe that's written about, e.g. the compassionate effects of a person engaging with another.

There is the 'absolutely' strong emphasis that commands Truth and Righteousness. The consequences of false witnessing,especially if you make false claims in the name of God in your writings. Having the view that in their minds, having the strong belief of the line that says: 'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom', influences how the authors writes from his conscience.

There's all sorts of aspects to the bible to cover in which I am not talented enough to articulately put into one post, or a few even.

Last edited:

There is the 'absolutely' strong emphasis that commands Truth and Righteousness [...] Having the view that in their minds, having the strong belief of the line that says:'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom'...
...And their love for God most of all - I should have also mentioned...
...influences how the authors writes from his [their] conscience.

Interesting.

God as what we would call today a comic book action adventure hero with supernatural powers.

Certainly the Greek gods and demigods.

There is the 'absolutely' strong emphasis that commands Truth and Righteousness [...] Having the view that in their minds, having the strong belief of the line that says:'the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom'...
...And their love for God most of all - I should have also mentioned...
...influences how the authors writes from his [their] conscience.
You seem like a good person, but why if God demands truth and righteousness, are there so many mean, hateful, racist, sexist and criminals who identify as Christians, especially conservative Christians? Do you have an opinion on that?

My movement away from evangelical Christianity began when I attended an evangelical Christian college and saw how the white boys treated the one black boy on campus and how we were constantly told that unbelievers would be punished by the so called loving god for all of eternity for the simple "sin" of not being able to believe the things in the Bible. I heard gossip and all kinds of crazy things, including that a weegee board ( not sure how that's spelled :) ) was controlled by Satan and must be destroyed. By the end of one semester being around these folks, I realized I had been taught a lot of often hateful mythology and was on my way towards atheism, which included a nearly 10 year journey that included studying other religions, praying for answers etc. Finally the truth had set me free and I've been much happier and well adjusted as an atheist compared to how I felt during my child hood or as an indoctrinated teenager. Do you believe that your god will punish people like me? Or do you believe that your god is more loving and forgiving and if he must judge, he will base it on character and good works, and not beliefs? I've never understood why what one believes is so important as long as those beliefs aren't used for harm.

One doesn't need a god or religion to be good. I'm not virtue signaling or bragging, but I spent 42 years as an RN giving compassionate care to all kinds of people, including the poor, people who were of different racial backgrounds, people who were abused by their families, in their homes, along with some years spent caring for public health clients who needed help with birth control, vaccinations, baby exams for their newborns, etc. It was stressful, but it was also emotionally satisfying to be able to care for and advocate for those in need. Along my journey, I met a few other atheist nurses and I was also bullied at times by Christian nurses. One of the most important things I learned while studying nursing was to never judge those who you provide care to, and to treat them all equally. Too bad the Christian god feels the need to judge people, and threaten them with eternal torture. I don't need an invisible friend to be a good person and I don't really understand why you think you do.

Interesting.

God as what we would call today a comic book action adventure hero with supernatural powers.

Certainly the Greek gods and demigods.
Yes, but the people are the comic characters with the power. They will be able to go away and live in the sky. They are ghosts who will be reunited with their families. Doing certain rituals and saying certain things gives them the power. They are in communication with none other than the entity that made their world. I hesitate to say "made their universe" because so many have no appreciation and understanding for what that is.

They call their power religion or faith or belief and they hang around with people who pretend to have the same power and build special buildings for practicing their superpowers.

I'm definitely going to use this angle next time I get into a conversation, maybe with a family member. Should prove interesting.

My dog is better than me -- more forgiving, more celebratory of life, more positive, definitely friendlier to all. Can he get into heaven? If not, fuck it. Since his head is in a timeless space, he more than humans deserves a timeless, eternal good time. (He would, I'm pretty sure, forgive almost all the sinners in hell, so maybe he wouldn't fit in with the crowd that gets to heaven and -- guessing here -- gets all huffy and judgmental about the nonbelievers who are roasting in God's cellar.)
Born Again Pooches!

My dog is better than me -- more forgiving, more celebratory of life, more positive, definitely friendlier to all. Can he get into heaven? If not, fuck it. Since his head is in a timeless space, he more than humans deserves a timeless, eternal good time. (He would, I'm pretty sure, forgive almost all the sinners in hell, so maybe he wouldn't fit in with the crowd that gets to heaven and -- guessing here -- gets all huffy and judgmental about the nonbelievers who are roasting in God's cellar.)
Born Again Pooches!
I agree and that is why I think religious people have invented the Rainbow Bridge. If you're not familiar with it, the belief is that when a pet dies, it will cross a so called Rainbow Bridge and enter into an afterlife, where the pet will eventually join us in our afterlife. My late sister who had adopted numerous chihuahuas, while not a Christian, and a bit nuts, believed that she would be reunited with her rescue dogs in the afterlife. My niece, also a lover of little rescue dogs, believes the same thing. One of my former vets gave me a paper about the Rainbow Bridge after I had to have one of my dogs euthanized. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I don't believe in such things, but I have said many times that heaven would be hell without our dogs. I miss them all but know they will only live in my memories until I too am gone.

I have a cartoon on my refrigerator, that has a picture of a dog standing at a pulpit at the pearly gates, looking down at a surprised human. The dogs says, "Well yes, considering that you people have been spelling my name backward all this time, I imagine this would come as a bit of surprise to you." :)

Last edited:
My dog is better than me -- more forgiving, more celebratory of life, more positive, definitely friendlier to all. Can he get into heaven? If not, fuck it. Since his head is in a timeless space, he more than humans deserves a timeless, eternal good time.
*Responding to posts in no particular order.*

Your dog may see paradise after all according to Isaiah 11:6, which states: “The lion shall lay down with the lamb..
🙂

(He would, I'm pretty sure, forgive almost all the sinners in hell, so maybe he wouldn't fit in with the crowd that gets to heaven and -- guessing here -- gets all huffy and judgmental about the nonbelievers who are roasting in God's cellar.)
Born Again Pooches!
He wouldn't make a good judge unfortunately because that would mean people would still go about killing and pillaging everywhere ,'willy nilly', in the knowledge that there would be no consequences for their evil actions. It requires a particularly very strong Will to be a Fair & Righteous judge. But... at least your companion will have plenty of fresh grass and wild berries to eat, where he wouldn't be solely dependant on you ever again.

Last edited:
To align one's intellect with that of Jehovah is indeed a superpower. As Harry Waton puts it:

The destiny of mankind is to attain to the intellect. This means that the destiny of mankind is that in them the soul will become united and wholly explicit; that is, Jehovah will become manifest to mankind in their own being; they will knew that they and Jehovah are one.

Any one that attains to explicit reason is at once convinced by explicit reason that explicit reason will conquer the world. Explicit reason convinces us that rational humanity will overcome all other kinds of lower humanity. This earth is destined to become an eternal inheritance to rational humanity. Mankind may go through savagery, barbarism and civilization, a time will come when the superman will become the lord and master over the earth.

Abraham, Moses, the prophets and Jesus were the first intellectual supermen. There will be more and more and until all mankind will be supermen:

[W]hen man attains to the intellect, he then perceives that he and Jehovah are one. At first, this destiny is realized through one Moses after another; but in due time all of mankind will become like Moses. Then the prophecy of Jeremiah will be fulfilled. Jehovah will write his laws in the inward essence of every human being; each human being will know Jehovah, and there will no longer be any need for a Moses or a Jesus; all of mankind will be the Sons of Jehovah.

unfortunately because that would mean people would still go about killing and pillaging everywhere ,'willy nilly', in the knowledge that there would be no consequences for their evil actions.
So...hell is supposedly a deterrent, like capital punishment is supposed to be? With the amount of killing and pillaging the Christian world did for centuries, it wasn't much of a deterrrent. Any evidence that it's a deterrent in our peaceful world now?
You've heard it before from us atheists, but really, we don't get how you square hell with a loving, merciful, wise deity. Eternal damnation means there is no redemptive value to the suffering. If god simply sustains you as a soul and punishes you forever, then nothing good can result. Suffering without redemption is somehow divine justice?? This has been likened to a child burning ants. Creating someone that you presumably know in advance will be tormented for eternity after a brief earthly life demonstrates determined sadism more than it demonstrates justice and benevolence. And it seems to be doctrinal that god hands it out for a lot more than killing and pillaging -- such as for unbelief, or belief in the wrong god. There is zero evidence for an afterlife anyway, so this is just parsing a story I find primitive. I don't mean to start an extended discussion, but the New Testament's hell teachings have always struck me as a refutation of the love that supposedly suffused Jesus and his teachings. Love me or I'll burn you in the cellar.

I don't mean to start an extended discussion, but the New Testament's hell teachings have always struck me as a refutation of the love that supposedly suffused Jesus and his teachings.

It is the Christian perversion of the New Testament that is the problem. Jesus teaches nothing about eternal damnation. His invective is largely reserved for those who moralistically condemn others. Jesus did believe that sins must be paid for, but that divine mercy spares the sinner from full payment. This is Jewish doctrine. As Harry Waton puts it:

Suppose we take the case of men, such as Hitler, Stalin, John the Terrible, Nero, and the like. These men, in their lifetime, committed crimes and sins which they could never atone for during their lifetime; nay, they could never atone for them. The law of equivalents demands that these men should pay in full, with interest, for the crimes and sins they committed. If this law be permitted to realize themselves, then such men as I just mentioned would have to remain in hell forever. Indeed, superstitious Christians do condemn such sinners and criminals to eternal damnation in hell. How strange! These Christians, who profess to believe in Jesus - the God of love and forgiveness, and who rebel against Jehovah; these Christians condemn the sinners and criminals to eternal damnation in hell. What travesty, what denial of the whole idea of Jesus! But see the infinite mercifulness of Jehovah. Jehovah exacts payment only to the third or the fourth generation; that is, Jehovah exacts payment of the sinner or criminal only during three or four times of his earthly existence. As for the rest, Jehovah forgives him. How infinitely superior is the Jewish idea of justice to the idea of justice entertained by the Christians!

^See my quotations from Waton above for more. For example, "when man attains to the intellect, he then perceives that he and Jehovah are one" and "rational humanity will overcome all other kinds of lower humanity."

Back
Top Bottom