• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God Made Trump

This is why I think we should cap the max/min pay, instead of just raising the minimum wage. You can even be pretty generous with it and allow up to, say 100:1. Just close all the loopholes for contractors and any other 'gig' workers they try to hire and you're good.
Except you can't hope to close the "loopholes" because no solid definition exists (or can exist) as to what is a loophole.

No company does everything in house. Exactly where they choose to divide between in-house and contracted out depends on the company. When does it become a "loophole"? A common school of business thought is to do only your core competency, outsource everything else. That's not for tax reasons, is it a "loophole?"

Recently I've heard that defense counsel may make useless objections, insisting on sources, etc. (taking care not to wear out the judge's patience!). By objecting you may get grounds for appeal. Or since "debate delayed is debate denied," waste opponent's time.

High school debaters may adopt a similar tactic: Make the opponent address useless nits and detract from the time he has to make his case.

The relationship is nonlinear.

Well! Something we agree on!

Are they being rewarded for their genius and profitability? Global Crossing, which never had a profitable year, filed in 2002 for one of the largest bankruptcies in history and its executives were accused of covering up an accounting scandal. The founder apparently walked away from bankruptcy with $750 million.

And were companies really ten times as big in 2000? "in 1960, GM had 500,000 employees on its payroll." U.S. Steel had 225,000 employees in 1929. (With cherry-picked companies and dates before 1980, am I comparing apples with persimmons? These are just numbers Google popped back to me in seconds. It would take effort to research your claim; for example Market Cap is a bad proxy without P/E factored in. You Google; refute your own claim!! :cool: )
That's not a very good yardstick because it's the economic size, not the employee size. Plot executive compensation against gross revenue. (Which still isn't all that good as vertical integration will reduce "revenue".)

Once again, I was unwilling to spend a sizeable fraction of an hour getting frustrated with Google. Google doesn't know much but it DOES know how many EMPLOYEES companies had decades ago.

In the olden days I often added "historical graph" to a Google search and got charts going back decades. But Generation Z rules now, and anything before 2000 AD might as well be in the Age of the Dinosaurs.

In other words I went with EMPLOYEE count because that's what Google was able to give me. I did come across a VERY cutesy YouTube showing market caps beginning long ago but the raw market cap numbers must be adjusted by (a) productivity, (b) inflation, and (c) market sentiment (e.g. P/E ratio). Employee count was an adequate proxy to make what is, really, a trivial point.

@Loren -- Don't take this the wrong way, but do you treat these dialogs like high school debates and use delaying tactics? It honestly seems that way.

If YOU have data to support YOUR claim PLEASE present it. If instead you just want to nitpick that there are slightly better measures than employee count, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Did you think about the statistic I quoted? Between 1980 and 2000 the CEO/Worker wage ratio INCREASED TEN-FOLD Is Ten a big number?

Even if the "largeness" of the average large company increased ten-fold over this period (It didn't; not even close), as you yourself should realize the relationship to that wage/ratio "should" be SUB-linear. Otherwise what would we see? Suppose the CEO of a company with a million employees gets $100 million. Dividing by 50,000 would mean the chief of a small company with 20 employees "should" get annual salary of $5000 -- much less than minimum wage.

I spent several minutes typing this, just for you. Touché ?

Recently I've heard that defense counsel may make useless objections, insisting on sources, etc. (taking care not to wear out the judge's patience!). By objecting you may get grounds for appeal. Or since "debate delayed is debate denied," waste opponent's time.

High school debaters may adopt a similar tactic: Make the opponent address useless nits and detract from the time he has to make his case.

Are they being rewarded for their genius and profitability? Global Crossing, which never had a profitable year, filed in 2002 for one of the largest bankruptcies in history and its executives were accused of covering up an accounting scandal. The founder apparently walked away from bankruptcy with $750 million.

And were companies really ten times as big in 2000? "in 1960, GM had 500,000 employees on its payroll." U.S. Steel had 225,000 employees in 1929. (With cherry-picked companies and dates before 1980, am I comparing apples with persimmons? These are just numbers Google popped back to me in seconds. It would take effort to research your claim; for example Market Cap is a bad proxy without P/E factored in. You Google; refute your own claim!! :cool: )
That's not a very good yardstick because it's the economic size, not the employee size. Plot executive compensation against gross revenue. (Which still isn't all that good as vertical integration will reduce "revenue".)

Once again, I was unwilling to spend a sizeable fraction of an hour getting frustrated with Google. Google doesn't know much but it DOES know how many EMPLOYEES companies had decades ago.

In the olden days I often added "historical graph" to a Google search and got charts going back decades. But Generation Z rules now, and anything before 2000 AD might as well be in the Age of the Dinosaurs.

In other words I went with EMPLOYEE count because that's what Google was able to give me. I did come across a VERY cutesy YouTube showing market caps beginning long ago but the raw market cap numbers must be adjusted by (a) productivity, (b) inflation, and (c) market sentiment (e.g. P/E ratio). Employee count was an adequate proxy to make what is, really, a trivial point.

@Loren -- Don't take this the wrong way, but do you treat these dialogs like high school debates and use delaying tactics? It honestly seems that way.

If YOU have data to support YOUR claim PLEASE present it. If instead you just want to nitpick that there are slightly better measures than employee count, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Did you think about the statistic I quoted? Between 1980 and 2000 the CEO/Worker wage ratio INCREASED TEN-FOLD Is Ten a big number?

Even if the "largeness" of the average large company increased ten-fold over this period (It didn't; not even close), as you yourself should realize the relationship to that wage/ratio "should" be SUB-linear. Otherwise what would we see? Suppose the CEO of a company with a million employees gets $100 million. Dividing by 50,000 would mean the chief of a small company with 20 employees "should" get annual salary of $5000 -- much less than minimum wage.

The result will be parabolic.

The result will be parabolic.

Sure you don't mean hyperbolic? :)
hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally

Sure you don't mean hyperbolic? :)
hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally
Not to be confused with superbole, which is a football game this weekend
The alcoholic superbolic frolic? This year things become a bit psychotic.
This Superbowl is not about control or scoring goal. This land we loved has gone down the rabbit-hole.
The CIA and Taylor Tay have rigged the Day (or so they say): The Chiefs will Slay and Vegas books must pay pay pay.
Or not? The Vegas line is underbought? The MAGA lot is not so easily caught.
Vladimir and Orange shit-sneer appear and leer and jeer. The Chiefs should fear.
More popcorn please. I'll have another beer.

God makes a lot of stupid shit. You would think an all powerful being could and would do a better job.

Good thing god doesn’t work in the private sector as a non unionized worker. If he did, he would’ve been fired a long time ago due to incompetence.

I'm just glad to live in a world where Fat Bastard can lose HALF A BILLION DOLLARS in the space of a month, all because of his stupid mouth and his crooked brain. I've had a good couple of weeks. More, please!!

I wonder if James Dobson still thinks Trump is "a baby Christian" or if he's moved up to toddler stage.
Is that where that came from?
There was a poster on another forum who staunchly supported Trump and used that term quite frequently.
He insisted that Trump's past should not be held against him, because when Trump accepted Jesus as Lord, somewhere in the spring before the 2016 election, he repented of his sins and had become "a baby Christian".
He also thought that gay marriage was going to destroy marriage and must be outlawed. But while he found divorce between parents of dependent children distasteful, he didn't think that the government should get involved in people's personal business.
He was an odd sort of evangelical Teaparty Catholic.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom