• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

God's too great to communicate clearly with humans

Can humans understand God or not?
Can babies understand Einstein's field equations for GR or not?
They could if Einstein was omnipotent. :)
This has to do with humans being able to understand God how?

Oh, your God's not omnipotent?

Well then it doesn't apply to your God if you already accept there are loads of things s/he/it cannot do, including communicate clearly to anyone or any thing.

Many/most god's are allegedly omnipotent. Until that omnipotence is inconvenient, then the "he can do anything, except" terms creep in.

Many/most god's are allegedly omnipotent. Until that omnipotence is inconvenient, then the "he can do anything, except" terms creep in.

No, no, that's not it. Not omnipotence. It's the other omni.
I mean, as a teacher, i am all the time going over the heads of my students.
They lack the grounding in the military, or submarine operations, or missile fire control.
So if they have questions, about stuff i've already explained, i have to jettison them. It's like when the zombies take the slowest member of the party. You shout 'circle of life, dude' and keep running.

If i were omniscient, i would know an analogy or metaphor or alternate, high-level explanation to give, or a block diagram to show them, to get the point across. But you can't expect someone who merely knows everything AND knows everything i know AND everything i am capable of understandingto be able to rewrite his lecture on the instant, to get a point across, can you?

They could if Einstein was omnipotent. :)
This has to do with humans being able to understand God how?
Oh, your God's not omnipotent?
Well then it doesn't apply to your God if you already accept there are loads of things s/he/it cannot do, including communicate clearly to anyone or any thing.
I really don't understand what lack of omnipotence has to do with being unable to communicate with humans.

Unless you think this message indicates that I am omnipotent or have an omnipotent God who works to transmit my messages for me?

"If i were omniscient, i would know an analogy or metaphor or alternate, high-level explanation to give, or a block diagram to show them, to get the point across."

Exactly, that was all I said in my comment.

This is an equivocation fallacy. "Understand God" is an ambiguous phrase, and without context it could mean "understand everything about god," "understand what makes god do what god does," "understand god's emotional makeup," and nearly infinite other possible connotations. One such possible connotation is "understand something said by god."

If the question as quoted above were asked with no contextual explanation then a response such as the one you provided would be appropriate.

But the question was not asked without context. I'll not speculate as to why you chose to snip out the remaining verbiage, but I will point out that the portion of the OP you snipped out provided all the context necessary to ascertain exactly the question being asked. The response you provided would be deep and profound without that context. With that context it is hollow and irrelevant.

This is an equivocation fallacy.
Why would I, or anyone, communicate with someone who does not understand what I say?
Why would I, or anyone, communicate with someone who does not listen to what I say?

"Either God can communicate clearly and all Christians and Jews and Muslims should be on the same page -OR-"

Right. Parents communicate clearly and their children are all on the same page all the time. It's amazing that this is back at babies being able to understand concepts.

Unless, of course, the person telling them to you is omniscient because then he'd be able to phrase it in such a way that you understand it perfectly and forever after hearing it for the first time.

Unless, of course, the person telling them to you is omniscient because then he'd be able to phrase it in such a way that you understand it perfectly and forever after hearing it for the first time.
Only takes what, a few 1000 years to convey the message when you're dealing with the ascient?

No, he could do it instantaneously for everyone without even a trivial amoun of effort

That comment looks suspiciously like it came from an ascient being, and I know you're not one. Something sneaky goes here..

That comment looks suspiciously like it came from an ascient being, and I know you're not one. Something sneaky goes here..

Prove I'm not an ascient being. The burden of proof is on you.

Who would design a bot when they could enjoy being witty?

This is an equivocation fallacy.
Why would I, or anyone, communicate with someone who does not understand what I say?
Why would I, or anyone, communicate with someone who does not listen to what I say?

"Either God can communicate clearly and all Christians and Jews and Muslims should be on the same page -OR-"

Right. Parents communicate clearly and their children are all on the same page all the time. It's amazing that this is back at babies being able to understand concepts.

So you're saying that god is not omnipotent?

Then you are not a Jew, Christian, or Muslim. Which religion are you? Just curious.

This implies that you only the speaker only has two choices:
(a) Speak and not be understood,
(b) Not speak,
and do not have a third choice:
(c) Make it impossible for your audience to fail to understood you.
As above, this implies that the speaker only has two choices:
(a) Speak and not be ignored,
(b) Not speak,
and do not have a third choice:
(c) Make it impossible for your audience to fail to listen to you.

False equivocation. Parents are not godlike, therefore the parent-baby communication barrier is not evidence that there is a god that suffers the same limitations of communication with a relatively simple-minded audience.

Back
Top Bottom