• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good Eats

DolphinDynasty

Basic Beliefs
humanistic situational ethicist
Don't know if there's a thread for healthy, delicious foods and dishes, so if it's the wrong place to put this, feel free to move or delete it.

I know there's a thread for "guilty" food pleasures, so I thought we could have one for delicious but nutritious foods nobody has to feel bad or unjustified about eating.

Today I made baked cod with baked Crimini mushrooms using red chili powder an black pepper, plus pasta Alfredo, a side salad of fresh spinach, with zesty Italian dressing and vine tomatoes, sliced cucumber, skin still on for extra vitamins and crunch. Then I ended it with 2 puff pastries (profiteroles I think Europe calls them) covered in rich Belgian chocolate and infused with Bavarian cream, and a mug full of fresh strawberries.

I'm still a massive fat girl (in more than one way too lol) and prefer it to being too bony, or all the way to vicious and self-righteous as so many "health nuts" into going vegan seem to be, cuz we've so much more to worry about just keeping at work, play, and the bills, but without war, cuz war sucks. And yes, yes not all are that way (somebody should make a gif for this so we don't have to keep reminding people it's only a fool who lumps all of any group into any characteristic or category, or on the flip side, that the number of people inside a group dealing with anything harmful are not to be confused with human toys that get to be abused because Human says), bleh, it's going off track again. . . . .

So the point is . . . . does anybody wanna share a time when they made a particular meal tasty and healthy they felt good and healthy in eating? And what was the impetus, if there indeed was any?

I saw stuff in my fridge/freezer and went for less chocolate and less processed cut meat cuz it seemed easy enough to slap together and leave in the oven until it was ready for dressing/chocolate drizzle what have you, and it turned out okay so maybe if I feel alright enough tomorrow I'll try something with the salmon in my freezer.

Anybody else wanna share? Anybody know a good way to season/dress/cook salmon that doesn't contain more than the usual seasonings and sauces most people have? Last time I made salmon it was pre-seasoned and marinate and I overcooked it, although it was still edible, but dry and the seasoning seemed to have been cooked off for the most part.

Salmon.

I just fry it with a little olive oil until the centre is just cooked and eat it before it has a chance to run away. You obviously have a handle on good salads to go with it.

If whole, I have seen people stuff them with bean shoots and cook them in a little orange juice covered in the oven. It didn't appeal to me.

Today I bought a boned leg of lamb and tomorrow I will rub it with salt, oregano, rosemary, garlic, black pepper, onion, marjoram, and lemon myrtle (a Screaming Seeds prepack) and cook it very slowly.

The kids won't eat salads but I will make some tahbouli for the adults and mashed potato, peas and carrots for the ankle biters.

Salmon.

I just fry it with a little olive oil until the centre is just cooked and eat it before it has a chance to run away. You obviously have a handle on good salads to go with it.

If whole, I have seen people stuff them with bean shoots and cook them in a little orange juice covered in the oven. It didn't appeal to me.

Today I bought a boned leg of lamb and tomorrow I will rub it with salt, oregano, rosemary, garlic, black pepper, onion, marjoram, and lemon myrtle (a Screaming Seeds prepack) and cook it very slowly.

The kids won't eat salads but I will make some tahbouli for the adults and mashed potato, peas and carrots for the ankle biters.

Apparently if I oven bake it in olive oil and a mustard maple syrup rub with a bit of soy sauce thrown in, the internet tells me this is good. I prefer anything in n oven, cuz anything on top of it except for bacon tends to fail on me. Even out of a box, like my pastas and rices, it tends to never be the same as they say it should so I have to figure out how to tweak it to keep it from being over or under done or the sauce too thick or too thin.

Does slow cooking lamb make it less tough and chewy? I tried grilling lamb shank once, with a jalepeno pesto spread and fresh mint in olive oil in the rub and it came out tough and chewy even going by the lowest number of minutes for rare/medium rare with the ends kinda really overdone compare to the middle.

I never tried cooking lamb since except in chop form and it still never comes out the same as when a restaurant makes it, which is to say not tough or chewy, just tender and good.

Could it be that I have an electric oven versus gas? Maybe I should get a slow cooker? Can you make lamb in a slow cooker?

Also . . . what the heck is tahbouli? The internet tells me it's parsley salad with onions, tomatoes and something called bulgur, which sounds ok minus the onion, except I don't what bulgur is?

On our fishing trips, my dad used to grill the Lake Trout or Coho Salmon that we'd caught. Had to have a basket to keep it from falling apart, but the seasoning was simple and the smell drew a crowd every time.

Take a fresh filet or salmon steak. Firm fish works best. Coat with equal parts Lawry's Seasoned salt, lemon pepper seasoning, and garlic powder (not garlic salt). Use more than you think is necessary. Salmon can handle it. Grill until the outside is just about to get over crispy and the meat is cooked through. Serve with melted butter and lemon. It is amazing.

While I was on a low salt diet, I discovered the joys of balsamic vinegar on salads.

Just add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some fresh garlic, something a little spicy (I use small amounts of Chicago style giardiniera), and you don't need any salt on your salad. You can even (gasp) skip the cheese, bacon, etc. It gets even better if you add something sweet like dried cranberries ("craisins") or a small amount of fruit.

- - - Updated - - -

The Angry Butterflies recipe I posted in another thread started out as a low salt recipe. It's not particularly low salt or healthy anymore. :D

Salmon works on its own in an oven or with a honey soy (1 to 1) or honey mustard (1 to 1) glaze.

As to Underseer's post, bananas in a salad. It replaces the need for salad dressing. Soft, mellow, a little sweet, provides a nice compliment to the crunchier portions of a salad.

Nutmeg or cinnamon (or a tbsp of orange marmalade) on pan cooked veggies (no oil or butter).

At this point just about my entire diet consists of fresh, healthy foods. It's also become really simple in that I've started enjoying the fresh foods for themselves, rather than worrying about cooking elaborate meals.

If I need the vitamins I'll chop a plate full of raw vegetables and fruit, with no dressings or dips.

If I need the protein I find a nice cut of meat.

If I need to sate my hunger it's often done with some form of bread.

I avoid refined sugar like the plague, and try to eat complex carbohydrates instead when I can.

For breakfast, lately I've been buying All Bran and adding raisins, for less sugar than Raisin Bran.

Somehow I've transitioned to adding milk to my coffee instead of cream

When we cook rice it's always brown.

And on and on.

To some people this sounds horrifying, but I've been deliberately, and gradually changing my diet for about 5 years now, so all I really crave anymore is healthy food, pretty much all the time.

My (occasional) vices are butter, salt, bacon, the occasional chocolate, and a splash of alcohol.

At this point just about my entire diet consists of fresh, healthy foods. It's also become really simple in that I've started enjoying the fresh foods for themselves, rather than worrying about cooking elaborate meals.

If I need the vitamins I'll chop a plate full of raw vegetables and fruit, with no dressings or dips.

I avoid refined sugar like the plague, and try to eat complex carbohydrates instead when I can.

For breakfast, lately I've been buying All Bran and adding raisins, for less sugar than Raisin Bran.

And on and on.

To some people this sounds horrifying, but I've been deliberately, and gradually changing my diet for about 5 years now, so all I really crave anymore is healthy food, pretty much all the time.

My (occasional) vices are butter, salt, bacon, the occasional chocolate, and a splash of alcohol.

I find I'm not one who can usually gradually change anything, not with smoking, not with eating, not with exercise, etc. I have to make a huge change, or not at all, and no more am I willing than I am in the funds for getting the right equipment/foods/adaptive tools, or healthy replacements.

The only time it works to go gradual is with fresh veg and fruit added to my diet, and only really recently as I started making enough to account for the higher price of keeping that going versus canned veg and no fruit, which meant I added more sides and more meat, which is bad idea.

If I had any skill or patience at gardening I'd make a small one for veg, and seasonings. So I like to try for a mix of healthy and bad for now, but there are some things that are just too bland even for someone who once went a whole year and half with cooked ramen noodles minus the seasoning, and that's just veg and brown rice/bread without something to make the awful taste worth it.

Cheers to anybody with the will to do that, though.

And on and on.

I find I'm not one who can usually gradually change anything, not with smoking, not with eating, not with exercise, etc. I have to make a huge change, or not at all, and no more am I willing than I am in the funds for getting the right equipment/foods/adaptive tools, or healthy replacements.

The only time it works to go gradual is with fresh veg and fruit added to my diet, and only really recently as I started making enough to account for the higher price of keeping that going versus canned veg and no fruit, which meant I added more sides and more meat, which is bad idea.

If I had any skill or patience at gardening I'd make a small one for veg, and seasonings. So I like to try for a mix of healthy and bad for now, but there are some things that are just too bland even for someone who once went a whole year and half with cooked ramen noodles minus the seasoning, and that's just veg and brown rice/bread without something to make the awful taste worth it.

See I would have thought that making a huge change all at once is what would be hard, and why people so commonly fail. They try to change too much, too fast, and end up giving in.

I haven't found what I've done too difficult for the very reason that the changes have always been small and needed little willpower. Years ago I'd do something like swap out a cupcake in my lunch with a delicious, but slightly healthier option. I still got the enjoyment but I also nudged myself in the right direction. I just kept doing that, but with everything, until the metaphorical cupcakes turned into a metaphorical cup of fruit and my body had become acclimatized to the shift.

The whole time I knew that my body and brain was plastic and that I could train myself to enjoy healthier and healthier foods, and that's what I did. Nowadays it's shocking even to me how easily I can turn down trash food. I just don't want it.

And I think the problem most people have is that there are so many convenient, energy rich, and delicious foods out there that the average 'Westerner' has been trained in the opposite direction. To them it feels normal to eat junk, and they can't conceive of the possibility of eating a completely healthy diet.

And on and on.

How else would you get vitamins from if not veggies and other foods?

Diet supplements? No one can show a benefit from healthy people taking diet supplements. The only thing we can say for sure is that those vitamin pills make your pee darker.

And on and on.

Diet supplements? No one can show a benefit from healthy people taking diet supplements. The only thing we can say for sure is that those vitamin pills make your pee darker.

I guess the point was that these days I appreciate vegetables and fruits for what they are, and don't feel the need to cook and slather them in seasoning and dressing. Just buy, take out of the fridge, chop, eat.

For dinner we'll usually steam them, but occasionally I'll just pile a plate with raw produce and eat it as is. I mention this because it seems like a lot of people have an aversion to eating food plain and just enjoying the natural flavours of it. But if you give it a chance, fresh foods are usually pretty tasty in their own right, and there is no real need for fancy recipes.

And on and on.

See I would have thought that making a huge change all at once is what would be hard, and why people so commonly fail. They try to change too much, too fast, and end up giving in.

I haven't found what I've done too difficult for the very reason that the changes have always been small and needed little willpower. Years ago I'd do something like swap out a cupcake in my lunch with a delicious, but slightly healthier option. I still got the enjoyment but I also nudged myself in the right direction. I just kept doing that, but with everything, until the metaphorical cupcakes turned into a metaphorical cup of fruit and my body had become acclimatized to the shift.

The whole time I knew that my body and brain was plastic and that I could train myself to enjoy healthier and healthier foods, and that's what I did. Nowadays it's shocking even to me how easily I can turn down trash food. I just don't want it.

And I think the problem most people have is that there are so many convenient, energy rich, and delicious foods out there that the average 'Westerner' has been trained in the opposite direction. To them it feels normal to eat junk, and they can't conceive of the possibility of eating a completely healthy diet.

IKR?? My brain's weird in that the time I quit smoking and held that quit for 2 years, plus amazing exercise regime of miles running or spin biking a day, and weight training and mma training and eating healthy and I, one day, just said, enough of this I want military service and off I went. Of course, two years in I got really sick from unrelated shit that cost me the service entry along with my mobility , so then it all went to shit from diet to smoking to everything else. But hey, I wasn't supposed to be here passed a month old and now I'm 36. So fuck it, I'll eat, drink, smoke, and do whatever else cuz people are stupid/self-serving/egotistical and I aint got time for stupid/self-serving/egotistical anymore.

Meh, to each their own as long as they keep their empty-eyed, cultish way of trying to convince me otherwise to themselves, I guess.

And on and on.

I guess the point was that these days I appreciate vegetables and fruits for what they are, and don't feel the need to cook and slather them in seasoning and dressing. Just buy, take out of the fridge, chop, eat.

For dinner we'll usually steam them, but occasionally I'll just pile a plate with raw produce and eat it as is. I mention this because it seems like a lot of people have an aversion to eating food plain and just enjoying the natural flavours of it. But if you give it a chance, fresh foods are usually pretty tasty in their own right, and there is no real need for fancy recipes.

Sorry, I just felt the need to interject a complaint about vitamin supplements because I took them my entire childhood and a good chunk of my adult life before finding out that it was all horeshit based on the ravings of an otherwise brilliant scientist who was losing his mind.

Sorry, I just felt the need to interject a complaint about vitamin supplements because I took them my entire childhood and a good chunk of my adult life before finding out that it was all horeshit based on the ravings of an otherwise brilliant scientist who was losing his mind.

Except when they actually work to bring vitamin levels back up. My vitamin D, B12, and calcium have always been deficient, probably cuz it took 6 months of my early life for me t gain any weight at all or grow, so I started on supplements that I went back to when it was found to go low again in certain vitamins at my doctor's advice and by the next month these levels had all evened out without the need or anything prescription wise, not to say there aren't times it doesn't work. Iron supplements for example are notorious for rarely being broken down well by the body, sometimes leading to pockets of iron sitting in the legs instead of being absorbed.

IKR?? My brain's weird in that the time I quit smoking and held that quit for 2 years, plus amazing exercise regime of miles running or spin biking a day, and weight training and mma training and eating healthy and I, one day, just said, enough of this I want military service and off I went. Of course, two years in I got really sick from unrelated shit that cost me the service entry along with my mobility , so then it all went to shit from diet to smoking to everything else. But hey, I wasn't supposed to be here passed a month old and now I'm 36. So fuck it, I'll eat, drink, smoke, and do whatever else cuz people are stupid/self-serving/egotistical and I aint got time for stupid/self-serving/egotistical anymore.

Meh, to each their own as long as they keep their empty-eyed, cultish way of trying to convince me otherwise to themselves, I guess.

Stopping smoking all at once makes a bit more sense to me. To me smoking was always just as much psychological as it was physical. When I quit I figured I had to cut the physical habit of going outside and lighting up, as well as the nicotine addiction. I used patches to stop the former, while slowly weaning down the latter.

I found it a bit different with food because I wasn't cutting the habit of eating altogether, just changing what nutrients my body was used to. I found this far, far easier than quitting smoking, or cutting back on drinking. There just had to be the will to do it, and enough consistency over a long period of time.

One interesting thing I've found, too, is that in the past few years I started being able to socialize without drinking a lot easier than I used to. In my late twenties I'd pair most social situations with alcohol, but these days it's more if I feel like a drink.

I do just about all my own cooking and am always watching the culinary travel shows on tv for ideas. I have a few constraints due to the status of my physical and financial health. Low to moderate salt, low cholesterol (as in no butter and little red meat), and low cost. I think there's another flavor out there besides salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami, and that's cheap. When I get something at a great price it just tastes better. I do use good quality spices though. Finding affordable fish has been a problem until the local ShopRite store started having swai on sale for $2.50/pound sold as frozen fillets from Vietnam. Mild with no fishy flavor. So I combined a recipe I saw for an Italian fish stew with a few ingredients from a bouillabaisse recipe from Globe Trekker in Marseille. I can't afford the fancy variety of fishes or the saffron but it still knocks my socks off every time. Basically:

1. Saute some chunks of white potato in 1/4 cup pure olive oil in a large saucepan until just slightly brown.
  2. Add 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp tomato paste, 1 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper.
  3. Deglaze with 1/4 cup chardonnay.
  4. Add 2 cups boiling water (add more as needed).
  5. Add chopped red and yellow bell peppers and zucchini, 2 tsp sweet paprika, 1 tbsp wakame seaweed, 1 tsp Tabasco sauce, 1 bay leaf.
  6. Simmer for 15 minutes and add chopped fillet of swai (right from the freezer).
  7. Simmer 15 - 20 minutes and add 1/4 tsp psyllium powder to thicken + more olive oil to taste.

Yeow! If I could afford it using fresh Chilean sea bass or even cod along with some mussels or clams would bring it to the next level for sure.

Last edited:

Except when they actually work to bring vitamin levels back up. My vitamin D, B12, and calcium have always been deficient, probably cuz it took 6 months of my early life for me t gain any weight at all or grow, so I started on supplements that I went back to when it was found to go low again in certain vitamins at my doctor's advice and by the next month these levels had all evened out without the need or anything prescription wise, not to say there aren't times it doesn't work. Iron supplements for example are notorious for rarely being broken down well by the body, sometimes leading to pockets of iron sitting in the legs instead of being absorbed.

After I as diagnosed with osteoporosis, I was told by my doctor to take those supplements too. And also folic acid. My B12 I get from monthly cyanocobalamin (sp?) injections. And, yes, it has brought my levels back to normal.

A multi-vitamin with a good amount of iron keeps me from dealing with restless legs.

If you have certain medical conditions, then of course.

There is also value in pregnant women taking vitamins.

However the research says that there is no identifiable value in healthy people taking vitamins, which is how I originally phrased it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom