• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Good Eats

Just tried pickled herring with cheddar and crackers after work..

Could get used to it.

That's not what people usually say, lol. I'm Dutch by heritage and whenever I traveled to the Netherlands, people there loved pickled and smoked herring. There was a street vendor once that my elderly cousins tried to get me to over to but I aw the people who did tipping their heads back and swallowing the herring whole, tail still on. It was freaky. It's not for me.

I actually got the idea from my fiancee's parents, who emigrated from the Netherlands. Didn't realize it was somewhat unique to the Dutch.

Just tried pickled herring with cheddar and crackers after work..

Could get used to it.

That's not what people usually say, lol. I'm Dutch by heritage and whenever I traveled to the Netherlands, people there loved pickled and smoked herring. There was a street vendor once that my elderly cousins tried to get me to over to but I aw the people who did tipping their heads back and swallowing the herring whole, tail still on. It was freaky. It's not for me.

I actually got the idea from my fiancee's parents, who emigrated from the Netherlands. Didn't realize it was somewhat unique to the Dutch.

It's not just Netherlanders I don't think, as Scandinavians of several countries I think also eat it that way, at least some do. Kinda like some Americans will eat food truck authentic tacos or carnival food as their street food, if they can find it. Neither one is healthy of course, but man, Keppling. I miss Keppling, hot off somebody's cart fryer.

On the subject of Scandinavian-Americans, the responses to pickled herring varies.

Scandinavian-Americans are notorious for complaining about Scandinavian food, and I'm definitely one of them. The only kind of fish I can stand to eat is sushi or katsuobushi (I'm also half Japanese). My father on the other hand loves pickled herring as a snack, particularly with sour cream.

On the subject of Scandinavian-Americans, the responses to pickled herring varies.

Scandinavian-Americans are notorious for complaining about Scandinavian food, and I'm definitely one of them. The only kind of fish I can stand to eat is sushi or katsuobushi (I'm also half Japanese). My father on the other hand loves pickled herring as a snack, particularly with sour cream.

My Dad loved sardines in a can. He swore it was Netherlands thing but none of my other Netherlands relatives, save for 1st cousin once removed lie them. I think it was just him and the 1st cousin.

I'm making my own version of nachos, with crumbled cheddar cheese, raw diced tomatoes off the vine, spinach and cheese dip (that came out kinda meh cuz it seems chunkier than I remember from restaurants that have it), and I got chicken pieces breaded, and this sauce from TGI Friday's. The chicken looks kinda sad cuz not all the breading stayed on them but we'll see when its done how it is.

I still find cooking a monstrous chore I hate, would rather not eat if I could last doing so for more than a month, and thin if I ever did form any relations outside my own head head have to know how to cook and like doing it.

No wonder ladies fought to get out of the kitchen and work outside, lolz.

Edit: Update: It all came out kinda e-uchie. The cheese got overdone in the oven for both nachos and cheese dip, and the chicken is kinda soggy in the middle and too crunchy on the outside.

And it sounded so good to eat, too . . . . :(

Last edited:
I'm making my own version of nachos, with crumbled cheddar cheese, raw diced tomatoes off the vine, spinach and cheese dip (that came out kinda meh cuz it seems chunkier than I remember from restaurants that have it), and I got chicken pieces breaded, and this sauce from TGI Friday's. The chicken looks kinda sad cuz not all the breading stayed on them but we'll see when its done how it is.

I still find cooking a monstrous chore I hate, would rather not eat if I could last doing so for more than a month, and thin if I ever did form any relations outside my own head head have to know how to cook and like doing it.

Edit: Update: It all came out kinda e-uchie. The cheese got overdone in the oven for both nachos and cheese dip, and the chicken is kinda soggy in the middle and too crunchy on the outside.

There are days when I totally dread cooking and have found a few tips to get me through them...

One is to have precooked meals in the freezer, including veg. Shepherds pie is a good one here, or lasagna. You can cook up a massive meal for very little cost, and depending on how you store them, can reheat in the oven (if in alfoil containers) or the microwave (in plastic).

The other way is root vegetables. We keep potatoes, sweet potatoes, beetroots, carrots and onions in the fridge, and sometimes turnips. The keep for quite a number of weeks, and all I do is peel, cut into chunks, toss in a little olive oil, and bake! You can prepare the vegetables a few days in advance, in water, and just toss a few in.

I like to cook, and I love to create new taste combinations based on meals I have had in restaurants. I also like to think of what is easy to make after a long day at school.

I also like to cook casseroles etc, and cook bulk, for the freezer. It makes life easier when reporting or planning season is there.

I hope this helps.

FWIW I like to crumble nachos over a salad of romaine lettuce, with blue cheese crumbles and olive oil. Everything else is optional.

I've been searching for a good black bean burger recipe and found one this week that used quinoa. Substituted freekeh because I didn't have any quinoa on hand. Turned out great. And all sandwiches are better with mayo.

There are days when I totally dread cooking and have found a few tips to get me through them...

One is to have precooked meals in the freezer, including veg. Shepherds pie is a good one here, or lasagna. You can cook up a massive meal for very little cost, and depending on how you store them, can reheat in the oven (if in alfoil containers) or the microwave (in plastic).

The other way is root vegetables. We keep potatoes, sweet potatoes, beetroots, carrots and onions in the fridge, and sometimes turnips. The keep for quite a number of weeks, and all I do is peel, cut into chunks, toss in a little olive oil, and bake! You can prepare the vegetables a few days in advance, in water, and just toss a few in.

I like to cook, and I love to create new taste combinations based on meals I have had in restaurants. I also like to think of what is easy to make after a long day at school.

I also like to cook casseroles etc, and cook bulk, for the freezer. It makes life easier when reporting or planning season is there.

I hope this helps.

I've tried bulk cooking before, but it just me in my hose and so it inevitably gets either really boring even if I freeze and eat later or I forget it's there and have to dump it anyway.

Sigh. If I actually liked the taste of stuff without slathering it in heavy sauce or cheese or lots of butter, maybe I'd do it more, I don't know.

I hope this helps.

I've tried bulk cooking before, but it just me in my hose and so it inevitably gets either really boring even if I freeze and eat later or I forget it's there and have to dump it anyway.

Sigh. If I actually liked the taste of stuff without slathering it in heavy sauce or cheese or lots of butter, maybe I'd do it more, I don't know.

That’s understandable.

Back
Top Bottom