• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Guess who thinks comparing Trump to Hitler doesn't invoke Godwin's Law?

Patooka

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
aaa
The guy who invented it.

“You could say the ‘vermin’ remark or the ‘poisoning the blood’ remark, maybe one of them would be a coincidence,” Godwin said. “But both of them pretty much make it clear that there’s something thematic going on, and I can’t believe it’s accidental.

I wasn’t a particular scholar of Hitler or the Nazis before, and I still don’t count as one, but I’ve always taken pains to know enough history to know whether a comparison was valid. And in general, dehumanizing rhetoric is a hallmark of Hitler’s rhetoric. So, Trump’s opening himself up to the Hitler comparison.”

But the language isn't Hitler's to own, as right-wing populism is littered in this language. Trump is a alt-right Populist. That means he is dangerous. We don't need to compare his to Hitler to show he is dangerous. Tossing around Hitler and the Nazis is unnecessary.

But the language isn't Hitler's to own, as right-wing populism is littered in this language. Trump is an alt-right Populist. That means he is dangerous. We don't need to compare his to Hitler to show he is dangerous. Tossing around Hitler and the Nazis is unnecessary.
I agree. He does just fine as a stand-alone Nazi.
He’s not Hitler; as far as we know, Trump hasn’t murdered his niece whom he impregnated. And surely he is too squeamish to shoot someone himself, like Hitler did with Geli Raubal. (She was shot with his gun, probably for spurning him.)

So, its considered better that Trump isn’t quoting Hitler but came up with the same horrific language on his own?

Ok, got it.

So, its considered better that Trump isn’t quoting Hitler but came up with the same horrific language on his own?

Ok, got it.
People are giving Trump way too much credit for inventing populism and the language of right-wing populism. He is one of a long line of dangerous populists whose only intention is to seize money and/or power.

Ok, got it.
People are giving Trump way too much credit for inventing populism and the language of right-wing populism. He is one of a long line of dangerous populists whose only intention is to seize money and/or power.
Lots of little Orange Hitlers out there who just don't have the means to do much damage but all the wrong intentions thereto. They constitute the base of these sociopaths.

I'm never sad to see an interview with Mike Godwin, he's a smart man. His book, Splinters of Our Discontent, is well worth a read if you have an interest in social media and tech ethics.

Ok, got it.
No, he lived his life with copies of that fucker's speeches next to his bed. It might be the only thing he actually knows how to read.

So no, not on his own... He just agrees with all of it and ad-libs.

Not to talk up Hitler here, but Hitler at least had a vision. A dreadfully awful vision, but there was a plan.

Trump, doesn't even have that... except he wants revenge... and his supporters have brown enough shirts, that they'd love to see it through.

I still think he's much more similar to Mussolini than he is to Hitler.
You're not wrong, but only history geeks remember anything about Benito Mussolini, so the metaphor isn't as useful.
True. I tried to make the nickname "Fragilego Mussolini" catch on, but it didn't happen.

No, he lived his life with copies of that fucker's speeches next to his bed. It might be the only thing he actually knows how to read.
You're leaving out the possibility that Fred Christ Trump read the speeches to him as bedtime stories. You know, grooming for success.

You're not wrong, but only history geeks remember anything about Benito Mussolini, so the metaphor isn't as useful.
True. I tried to make the nickname "Fragilego Mussolini" catch on, but it didn't happen.
Yeah well, we all had our ideas.
I wanted him called Mag-a-Lardo, but that got voted down for political incorrectness. Fuckin libs.

You're leaving out the possibility that Fred Christ Trump read the speeches to him as bedtime stories. You know, grooming for succ
Fixed it for you.

Except the Mussolini comparison is much more apt. Both are morons that know nothing, are awful leaders, and just talk shit about their opponents.

On one message board, I saw minor criticism escalate immediately to "Why don't you just call me Hitler already?" !! So Godwinizing IS a thing.

But when I saw thread title I immediately thought "Obviously. The comparison is quite apt!"

With Saddam, Kim and Pol Pot all ruling countries much smaller than Germany it seems pretty clear that Trump is the closest to a major-country Hitler since ... Hitler! (Am I overlooking someone? Only Vladimir Putin seems like a possibility, but he doesn't have all the symptoms of Malignant Narcissism.) Both Hitler and Trump suffer from that extreme disorder. Both think they're "smarter than the generals." Both rose to power via anti-foreigner demagoguery. Etc., etc. Calling a Hitler-lookalike "like Hitler" i NOT Godwinizing. To the contrary, NOT calling him Hitler-like is denying reality.

There are some differences. Perhaps the biggest is that Hitler was driven by an ideology, albeit a horribly evil ideology. Trump is a stupid brat who never grew up and who focused his Administration on petty grifting. Still, Trump "checks enough boxes" to make the comparison very apt.

But the language isn't Hitler's to own, as right-wing populism is littered in this language. Trump is a alt-right Populist. That means he is dangerous. We don't need to compare his to Hitler to show he is dangerous. Tossing around Hitler and the Nazis is unnecessary.

I do not know what your point is. If your worry is that calling him "Hitler" will just INCREASE his support among stupid Americans, you're probably right.

But the language isn't Hitler's to own, as right-wing populism is littered in this language. Trump is an alt-right Populist. That means he is dangerous. We don't need to compare his to Hitler to show he is dangerous. Tossing around Hitler and the Nazis is unnecessary.
I agree. He does just fine as a stand-alone Nazi.
He’s not Hitler; as far as we know, Trump hasn’t murdered his niece whom he impregnated. And surely he is too squeamish to shoot someone himself, like Hitler did with Geli Raubal. (She was shot with his gun, probably for spurning him.)

I didn't know about impregnating and murdering his own niece. I've never scrutinized the biography of Time's 1938 Man of the Year.

But Trump has openly lusted after his own DAUGHTER. The impregnating-niece résumé-bullet just makes the Hitler comparison seem EVEN MORE appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom