• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Happy Marajuana Day!!!

I got a flier from my landlord saying we are not allowed to smoke pot in my building. I wonder if that is legal. Can rental buildings enforce smoking and drinking bans?

I got a flier from my landlord saying we are not allowed to smoke pot in my building. I wonder if that is legal. Can rental buildings enforce smoking and drinking bans?

Apparently, the law is iffy on that matter:

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/local-landlords-want-to-ban-pot-smoking-growing-can-they

They can add a clause banning smoking pot to new leases without any issue, but it's a grey area as to whether they can modify existing leases to exclude it without the tenant's consent. What they do have is the thing about bothering the neighbours or devaluing the property because of the smell.

You could fight it. Say you never agreed to that clause if you have a contract.

But you will probably not have your contract renewed.

The rental system does give some more rights than they deserve.

Property rights exceed human rights in many cases.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/local-landlords-want-to-ban-pot-smoking-growing-can-they

They can add a clause banning smoking pot to new leases without any issue, but it's a grey area as to whether they can modify existing leases to exclude it without the tenant's consent. What they do have is the thing about bothering the neighbours or devaluing the property because of the smell.

Ingestibles, topicals... no need to smoke. But if they're not also banning smoking tobacco, I don't know how that can stick.

44135004_2704597082961311_5750608540989390848_n.jpg

What won was sanity.

Marijuana is used everyday by millions and millions.

It is causing less harm than aspirin.

It is one of the safest substances known, even when smoked.

There does not seem to be any link between just marijuana smoking and COPD or lung cancer. That is related to tobacco.

For the US people here, this may be especially interesting:

Canadians are being asked more and more at the US border if they have ever smoked pot, and some are banned if they say they have.

CBC said:
Thousands of Canadians have been denied entry to the U.S., while others have been banned simply for admitting they've smoked a joint once in their lives. For American border guards, a confession is just as good as a conviction.

They're bringing drugs, and some of them, I assume, are good people.

And regarding states that have legalized weed?

CBC said:
While some U.S. states have dismantled prohibition — including Washington, a border state — possession remains a criminal offence federally. And the U.S. border is, of course, governed by federal law.

Legalization is on the ballot here in Michigan this November. Looks like it will pass by a handy margin.

So, where's my BIC lighter?

Canadians are being asked more and more at the US border if they have ever smoked pot, and some are banned if they say they have.

I remember back in the 90s, a group of us got hired out of computer school by a company in North Carolina and we needed to stop at the border to get the work visa on our way down. One of the guys was asked by the border guard if he'd ever smoked pot and he said yes. The border agent refused his visa and banned him from entering the US for the next five years.

None of us ever heard from him after that. I can only assume that he graduated to more serious drugs and started selling his body on the street corner to pay for them and eventually died of an overdose in a cheap motel room with a Conservative politician.

Ingestibles, topicals... no need to smoke. But if they're not also banning smoking tobacco, I don't know how that can stick.

Obviously, laws are very different in various states and countries, but from my limited non-lawyer knowledge, exactly what Elixir said

Damn. That leaves you with eating magic brownies instead.

They remain illegal for another year. Not that I use either.

Wait... Canada legalized smoking weed but still bans eating it? Or did the joke simply fly over my head?

Wait... Canada legalized smoking weed but still bans eating it? Or did the joke simply fly over my head?

That does seem very odd - how could it possibly be enforced? I mean, if someone has cannabis in their kitchen, they can just claim they planned to smoke it. If they are found stoned out of their gourd trying to buy munchies from a convenience store, will the clerk narc on them if they suspiciously don't buy rolling papers?

As to smoking in rental apartments, we did have a case here regarding smoking tobacco - IIRC, it was "banned" by the resident's wife from the apartment, so he smoked on the balcony, and the upstairs neighbour successfully sued for the smoke causing them a nuisance. Presumably a similar issue would apply to any kind of smoke that makes its way into other properties or to common areas of a building. But it would be difficult to argue in court that cannabis smoke is a greater imposition than tobacco smoke, so presumably it would have to be a ban on both, or neither. But then, IANAL, and the law does lots of very stupid things, so who knows.

I remember back in the 90s, a group of us got hired out of computer school by a company in North Carolina and we needed to stop at the border to get the work visa on our way down. One of the guys was asked by the border guard if he'd ever smoked pot and he said yes. The border agent refused his visa and banned him from entering the US for the next five years.

None of us ever heard from him after that. I can only assume that he graduated to more serious drugs and started selling his body on the street corner to pay for them and eventually died of an overdose in a cheap motel room with a Conservative politician.

Also back in the 90s, a guy I knew was crossing the border into Windsor from Detroit. The guard asked his citizenship and he said "US...eh?" He was refused entry.

At least now that guard can smoke something to mellow him out.

It is now legal to ingest them and have them, but you can't sell the edibles for another year. And right now in Ontario, the only way to buy weed legally is to buy it online. That is set to change shortly.

It is now legal to ingest them and have them, but you can't sell the edibles for another year. And right now in Ontario, the only way to buy weed legally is to buy it online. That is set to change shortly.

OK, thanks.

So you could bake your own magic brownies if you were so inclined, but you couldn't sell any to Tom.

:p

Back
Top Bottom