• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Harvey Weinstein scandal

I'm sure that Weinstein is a very nasty bit of work indeed, but this is getting too close to a lynching for my tsste.

Not even remotely close to a "lynching"

He still has his millions and his freedom and, most importantly to your poor analogy, his life.

I'm sure that Weinstein is a very nasty bit of work indeed, but this is getting too close to a lynching for my tsste.

He still has his millions and his freedom and, most importantly to your poor analogy, his life.

But no trial. I take that to be the key element in any American denial of justice, as under McCarthy.

But no trial. I take that to be the key element in any American denial of justice, as under McCarthy.

First of all, McCarthy was a government official. Right, wrong or indifferent, McCarthy was an ELECTED OFFICIAL using the power of his office to go after INNOCENT people.

By contrast, so far no government official has taken any action with regard to Harvey Weinstein. The Board of Directors of a private company had fired him for behavior he admits to.

So again, your analogy fails.

171011-harvey-weinstein-ac-513p_a9e7e06b779e7e1529e994cb7ec9f0a3.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

As Randi Rhodes says, "Can you imagine toiling under that belly?"

I saw a couple old clips of Corey Haim talking about rampant pedophilia in Hollywood too.

First of all, McCarthy was a government official. Right, wrong or indifferent, McCarthy was an ELECTED OFFICIAL using the power of his office to go after INNOCENT people.

By contrast, so far no government official has taken any action with regard to Harvey Weinstein. The Board of Directors of a private company had fired him for behavior he admits to.

The point is that you kill and lie about people all the time. What makes America America is the denial of justice by mob law, as you know. If this particularly successful American was guilty before he stopped making money, when did you charge him?

The point is that you kill and lie about people all the time. What makes America America is the denial of justice by mob law, as you know. If this particularly successful American was guilty before he stopped making money, when did you charge him?

Now you are babbling...

I am not surprised. Certainly less surprised than that recent case of Boston University geologist

The scandal appears to be less about his actions and more about how commonplace it was in accepting them in a hush hush way by the industry. Actors are being slapped down for their alleged verbal disgust and faked surprise.

But heck, even an Affleck is powerless in a town controlled by the likes of Harvey Weinstein... and not Harvey Fierstein.

Seems access to a lot of control and money can make people think women will have sex with them. And they are right, whether willingly or not. There is a boatload of money, and an incredible amount of sacrifice that has come up to this moment, when Mr. Frisky Hands (tongue?) has you alone in a room. This guy can make or break you. Some go with it and consider it part of the job, others might allow it and consider it a hazard, and others might spurn it and risk an extremely rich career.

I think this is common all over. Even in super safe feminist Sweden it's a problem. But never a reason to condone it.

Hillary really is a basket case. I think we can all agree we dodged a bullet when she didn't win.

DailyMail

Now where did I put my "Pink Pussyhat" ?

Hasn't Weinstein denied all the allegations as well?

Why are you discussing him like he's some kind of sex offender when all that you have against him are unproven assertions?

In this case all the women who accuse him have every incentive to not accuse him. They're also, mostly, all well off and comfortable women who have nothing to gain, or lose, by accusing him. It'll only bring pain and hurt by doing it. They still think it's worth it.

I think the words of these particular women weigh pretty damn heavy. It's also the number of them. There's a lot of crazy women out there. But the chances that all the women a man meets are crazy... pretty slim.

I saw a couple old clips of Corey Haim talking about rampant pedophilia in Hollywood too.
I thought that was Corey Feldman. Didn't he do an interview or write a book a year or two ago about this?

A lynching is a mob murder. Weinstein got fired. Based on the hints available, there are signs that this is true. Like all of the settlements. Ben Affleck was smacked back by Rose McGowan for pretending to be shocked.

I thought that was Corey Feldman. Didn't he do an interview or write a book a year or two ago about this?

Corey Feldman is not the most stable of people. I think his words weigh pretty lightly. Media has-been's desperate for attention is not the most reliable source of information

Corey Feldman is not the most stable of people. I think his words weigh pretty lightly. Media has-been's desperate for attention is not the most reliable source of information
Yeah, it is a high sodium source.

One of the less appealing aspect of getting older, for a man, is the realization that the hot chicks no longer find one as interesting as they once did. This also coincides with a gradual cooling of the hormonal fires which once made the hot chicks so interesting. Circle of life and all that stuff. That's the way it works for most men.

Who is to say what the source of the problem is, but some men never learn to accept or deal with their diminishing hotness. In ordinary circumstances, the worst of it is a man who embarrasses his friends and family chasing women who have no interest.

When the aging process is paired with increasing wealth and power, it's like Fitzgerald's rich people, "careless people, ... they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money." The wealth gives a man access to hot chicks beyond his natural hotness.

Unfortunately, unless the deal is negotiated in advance, having a lot of money does not guarantee any particular woman wants to have sex with him. Misunderstandings ensue, and when he breaks something, his wealth gets him out of trouble.

This is how we end up with Cosbys and Weinsteins. They aren't going to stop this kind of behavior until it runs up a bill they can't pay. No amount of money can buy back one's public reputation, but even then, as long he's spending only his own money, it's just a gossip item and little more.

If the money comes out of someone else's pockets, and they happen to be shareholders, it's a big deal. Jim Bakker(of Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker) learned that one the hard way. The Worldwide Church of God paid the hush money for his indiscretions with church secretary Jessica Hahn. To be fair to Bakker, he had no money of his own. He and Tammy actually worked for pauper's wages, while the Church absorbed the greatest part of their lavish living expenses. The Bakkers owned almost nothing, and when the Church fired them, they were broke and homeless, and soon indicted.

You are forgetting the "older guys" secret weapon (besides looking "more distinguished")... Girls with Daddy Issues. There are more of them than you may realize. Some may say they are something to look forward to. Change your deodorant to Old Spice Original Scent. It was most likely what that cute younger girl's father wore. She won't know what hit her. Oh, and that reminds me... hit her... like Daddy used to.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I'm quite familiar with "Girls with Daddy Issues," which is to say, most women. It really comes down the original Daddy, who is the model for subsequent Daddies. In this, some women are more fortunate than others. This is a matter for a different discussion.

From what I have read, Weinstein did not go for the Daddy role. He was more of a creepy uncle, or pesty neighbor boy.

I also don't recognize the drop off of interest from women. I'm in my 40's and I've never before been treated so openly as a sexual object by young women. I don't know about you guys when you were younger, but women didn't use to come onto me then. I had to make an effort. Today it's completely different. I don't think it's "daddy issues". I think it's just a question of personalities. Now when I'm older I meet young girls who are emotionally complex, sensitive or just weird sexually. They're, for whatever reason, into things that are hard to communicate to a young guy. I think that's all it is.

Of course all women have daddy issues. All human being have a complicated relationship to both their parents. Saying that a young woman fucks older men because she has daddy issues, says nothing.

Back
Top Bottom