• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hatred of Obama

People who voted for Obama and then Trump were very clearly not rational at all, nor were people who wanted their jobs to be safer or pay more, who dislike having a house literally underwater, and who think Iran probably shouldn't develop a nuclear weapon anytime .

From purely economic perspectives voting for both Obama and Trump was not only highly rational for myself but highly beneficial in hind sight as well.

In the case of Obama, he saved Chrysler Corporation which McCain would have never done. My local plant was still shut down and my job gone, but the company survived and I kept my pension and medical benefits. I owe the debt of gratitude to Obama for that.

In the case of Trump, I was immediately called back to US Steel to a plant that would have certainly been closed under Clinton. The only problem at my plant today is that they cant find enough workers to hire back to it again. And we are all working mandatory overtime, although I consider that to be a good problem to have. Property values where I live are also starting to rise quickly. It is as though the whole metro area has become alive again.

Im an electrician living in the rust belt near st louis, the heart of fly over country. I belong to both the UAW and USW unions and consider myself extremely lucky both Obama and Trump got elected.

I'm glad that your job is going well. However, there will be many who lose their jobs due to trade disruptions and rising commodity costs...

Since Obama was the best republican president since Bill Clinton, I would say that republican hatred of him had to be based on racism.

Since Obama was the best republican president since Bill Clinton, I would say that republican hatred of him had to be based on racism.

Sure. If Democrats resemble Republicans in policy, then the differences have to be elsewhere. Clinton was more of a challenge, but otoh the rw propaganda machine was not yet known for what it was. I had an anarchist friend who used to repeat during the early Clinton years some of the prevailing wild conspiracy theories such as drug smuggling.

People who voted for Obama and then Trump were very clearly not rational at all, nor were people who wanted their jobs to be safer or pay more, who dislike having a house literally underwater, and who think Iran probably shouldn't develop a nuclear weapon anytime .

From purely economic perspectives voting for both Obama and Trump was not only highly rational for myself but highly beneficial in hind sight as well.

In the case of Obama, he saved Chrysler Corporation which McCain would have never done. My local plant was still shut down and my job gone, but the company survived and I kept my pension and medical benefits. I owe the debt of gratitude to Obama for that.

In the case of Trump, I was immediately called back to US Steel to a plant that would have certainly been closed under Clinton. The only problem at my plant today is that they cant find enough workers to hire back to it again. And we are all working mandatory overtime, although I consider that to be a good problem to have. Property values where I live are also starting to rise quickly. It is as though the whole metro area has become alive again.

Im an electrician living in the rust belt near st louis, the heart of fly over country. I belong to both the UAW and USW unions and consider myself extremely lucky both Obama and Trump got elected.

I'm glad that your job is going well. However, there will be many who lose their jobs due to trade disruptions and rising commodity costs...

Cant argue with that. Some will win and some will lose. But this time around, the winners were the people who had real middle class jobs. Jobs in a steel mill or auto factory do not sound glamorous, but in fact those jobs will support a family of 4 with health benefits on only 1 earner. A Walmat job or a low ended agriculture worker cant hope to earn as much.

With Trump the right jobs are going to be saved and the right ones lost.

First, anyone who loses a job they had will disagree with that. Second, what makes you think that the "right" jobs will be saved and the "right" ones will be lost?

Best Republican president since Bill Clinton? Surely, you jest.

He was the best conservative president since Eisenhower.

Cant argue with that. Some will win and some will lose. But this time around, the winners were the people who had real middle class jobs. Jobs in a steel mill or auto factory do not sound glamorous, but in fact those jobs will support a family of 4 with health benefits on only 1 earner. A Walmat job or a low ended agriculture worker cant hope to earn as much.

I think that right wingers were against government meddling in the free market! (I know that you are not right wing). There are many many American manufacturers who will be hurt. All companies that export are going to be hurt. My company exports medical devices to Europe, we're very worried. The commodity costs for all American manufacturers is going to go up. This will make our companies less competitive. Farmers are going to be hurt. If this sends us into a recession, everyone will be hurt. Bad times could be coming...

Best Republican president since Bill Clinton? Surely, you jest.

He was the best conservative president since Eisenhower.

If you think that Obama and Clinton were conservative, wait another year under the conservative government that we have now, along with a very right wing supreme court. You'll be crying for Obama to come back!

I think that right wingers were against government meddling in the free market! (I know that you are not right wing). There are many many American manufacturers who will be hurt. All companies that export are going to be hurt. My company exports medical devices to Europe, we're very worried. The commodity costs for all American manufacturers is going to go up. This will make our companies less competitive. Farmers are going to be hurt. If this sends us into a recession, everyone will be hurt. Bad times could be coming...
Harley Davidson and Polaris are moving some production and good jobs to Europe because of tariff retaliation to Trump's tariffs.

First, anyone who loses a job they had will disagree with that. Second, what makes you think that the "right" jobs will be saved and the "right" ones will be lost?
The point is not that my job is better than someone else but that there is a huge difference to the economy which jobs are saved and which are lost. If a person is layed off picking soybeans for $3/hr and then can get hired making steel or cars for $50/hr, I say that is a good decision for the US. Furthermore the union job has its own health benefits so those workers do not depend of the public tax roll for that.

Harley Davidson and Polaris are moving some production and good jobs to Europe because of tariff retaliation to Trump's tariffs.
We will see what happens. I heard that Harley was already moving before Trump even got started but your point is still well taken. But in the end, if more good jobs are saved than what was lost it will have still been worth it IMHO.

And here is one more thing to consider. Anyone else other than Trump would have been too scared to even try something different. According to Obama, "all the horses were already let out the barn and could not be put back". Trump has at least proved that that statement is false.

In the case of Trump, I was immediately called back to US Steel to a plant that would have certainly been closed under Clinton.
What makes you think that?

After the meeting Trump had with the CEO of US Steel, everything changed as though a light switch was flipped.

I don't know what was said in the meeting. But if I had been the CEO I would have been much more cautious than he was. The CEO not only called everyone back but started to make expensive upgrades on our plant. The same plant that was going to be idled. Anyway, after their meeting everything changed. As of today, they are still looking to hire 800 more jobs that are now being filled with outside contractors.

Our fate is still not at all certain though. Because if Schumer and the democrats are successful impeaching Trump we will likely be out of work again. But at age 61, that won't be the end of the world for me. Especially since I still have my pension from Chrysler.

The point is not that my job is better than someone else but that there is a huge difference to the economy which jobs are saved and which are lost. If a person is layed off picking soybeans for $3/hr and then can get hired making steel or cars for $50/hr, I say that is a good decision for the US. Furthermore the union job has its own health benefits so those workers do not depend of the public tax roll for that.

That sounds like supply side economics. But how does it work when consumers lose their jobs faster than companies add to their workforce?

The more workers lose out on jobs and pay raises, they less they buy. The less consumers buy, the less growth there is for companies. The less growth for companies, the less they add to their workforce. If the loss to companies is great enough they will even cut their workforce in order to remain profitable, which just adds to the overall problem.

So, to be clear, you're okay with trade wars, muslims being banned, nationwide police harassment based on race, and federal-based kidnapping, because *your* job is okay.

Not really proving me wrong there.

In the case of Trump, I was immediately called back to US Steel to a plant that would have certainly been closed under Clinton.
What makes you think that?

After the meeting Trump had with the CEO of US Steel, everything changed as though a light switch was flipped.

I don't know what was said in the meeting. But if I had been the CEO I would have been much more cautious than he was. The CEO not only called everyone back but started to make expensive upgrades on our plant. The same plant that was going to be idled. Anyway, after their meeting everything changed. As of today, they are still looking to hire 800 more jobs that are now being filled with outside contractors.

Our fate is still not at all certain though. Because if Schumer and the democrats are successful impeaching Trump we will likely be out of work again. But at age 61, that won't be the end of the world for me. Especially since I still have my pension from Chrysler.

What changed, exactly? Because the stories I see say Trump is telling lies about new plants.

So, to be clear, you're okay with trade wars, muslims being banned, nationwide police harassment based on race, and federal-based kidnapping, because *your* job is okay.

Not really proving me wrong there.

And when it turns out the job is not okay and that Trump is responsible, will there be justification tap dancing or will realization dawn?

For lots of people, it is their standard of living that is driving their worldview. Not just here, but all over the world. Trump tapped into that view, and it worked. Democrats need to convincingly tap into that outlook, or they are going to continue to be on the outside at the federal level.

Back
Top Bottom