• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Historical Jesus

Johnny Appleseed is actually a good example of man versus myth.

I remember a kids book depicting him walking around cheerfully tossing out seeds.

I reality he was more of entrepreneur starting orchards for a share of the profits.

Johnny Appleseed is actually a good example of man versus myth.

I remember a kids book depicting him walking around cheerfully tossing out seeds.

I reality he was more of entrepreneur starting orchards for a share of the profits.
Chapman is the inspiration for the legend of Johnny Appleseed. There is no "Historical Johnny Appleseed." There was a capable and eccentric businessman who spawned a legend.

Similarly there is no Historical Gospel Jesus. But is there a person who spawned the legends associated with Chapman? There's certainly an historical Chapman but is there an Historical Jesus?

The difference between Davey Crocket, Johny Appleseed, et al, and Jesus is that we are told that our very lives depend on us believing that Jesus is our saviour, that if we don't believe in Jesus, we are eternally damned.

:confused2: :confused2: What relevance does this have to our topic? :confused2: :confused2: Do we disbelieve in Nancy Pelosi's existence because some people said bad things about her?

I may as well answer my own questions.

The historicity of Davy Crockett, Muhammad the Prophet, and the man nicknamed Johnny Appleseed are NOT IN DOUBT. No mystery, no ambiguity; these are Yes/No questions and the answers are all Yes.

Now these people may have acquired mythic status, and fictitious miracles may have been ascribed to them. So what?

Similarly, James 'the Just', brother of Jesus is confirmed by Josephus, three Gospels, Acts, and Epistle to Galatians.
John the Baptist was historic, and so was James Jesus' brother. Period. Both these men were very highly respected as good men, whose teachings were good; their martyrdoms are viewed as exacerbating conflict between Jews and the authorities.

Peter plays a pivotal role in the Gospels, Acts and some of the Epistles. If Jesus were a fiction, Peter was probably one of the most key fiction inventors. I think he was historic. BTW, did the name Cephas or Petros even exist as a personal name before Simon changed his name? Honest question.

Anybody know?

With one exception, that exhausts the list of people whose historicity I asked about. We are left with Siddhartha Gautama the Buddha. Was he historic? His dates are unknown; there is an 80-year gap between two different estimates of his dates. The earliest "biography" of Buddha dates to about 150 or 230 years after his death. A far FAR bigger gap than we see for Jesus of Nazareth. Yet AFAIK, the historicity of this men is generally accepted. Am I wrong?

May I ask again? Was the Buddha probably a historic person? Should we go with the opinions of professional historians? Or just go with the latest blog entry at Skeptiks'R'Us?

The key task of professional historians is to study ancient documents and to determine what is likely.

- - - - - - - - - -

To explore some questions, we must look at the chronology of documents. Some of Paul's Epistles were written about 55 AD, making them much earlier than written Gospels. However they did not have wide circulation, while oral versions of the Gospels were doubtless circulating long before they were written down. Christianity spread like wildfire; it was present in Rome by 60 AD and probably much earlier. Paul's Epistles were a reaction to a cult which had already spread, and not the initial cause of its spread. The early cult was spread by Peter, and by primitive orally-transmitted versions of what came to be the Gospels. (Note that Paul makes the Resurrection central to the religion he espouses in his Epistles, while for Mark the Resurrection is barely an after-thought.)

If Jesus were a fiction, the fiction writers would have had flexibility about how he was martyred. Given Deuteronomy 21:23 why hang him from a tree? John the Baptist wasn't hung from a tree.

Did Paul base his theology on a mythical debasement (crucifixion) of Jesus? But the story of the crucifixion under Pontius Pilate is found BEFORE Paul; it is in the earliest oral Gospels; it is in Tacitus' account of the Emperor Nero.

I may as well answer my own questions.
Similarly, James 'the Just', brother of Jesus is confirmed by Josephus, three Gospels, Acts, and Epistle to Galatians.

Josephus tells us the martyred James the Just had a brother named Jesus. Almost all historians agree on that much. And real men do not have fictitious brothers. Various "solutions" have been proposed; which is yours? Or is it just "Ho-hum who cares?"?
John the Baptist was historic, and so was James Jesus' brother. Period. Both these men were very highly respected as good men, whose teachings were good; their martyrdoms are viewed as exacerbating conflict between Jews and the authorities.

Peter plays a pivotal role in the Gospels, Acts and some of the Epistles. If Jesus were a fiction, Peter was probably one of the most key fiction inventors. I think he was historic. BTW, did the name Cephas or Petros even exist as a personal name before Simon changed his name? Honest question.

With one exception, that exhausts the list of people whose historicity I asked about. We are left with Siddhartha Gautama the Buddha. Was he historic? His dates are unknown; there is an 80-year gap between two different estimates of his dates. The earliest "biography" of Buddha dates to about 150 or 230 years after his death. A far FAR bigger gap than we see for Jesus of Nazareth. Yet AFAIK, the historicity of this men is generally accepted. Am I wrong?

The key task of professional historians is to study ancient documents and to determine what is likely.

- - - - - - - - - -

To explore some questions, we must look at the chronology of documents. Some of Paul's Epistles were written about 55 AD, making them much earlier than written Gospels. However they did not have wide circulation, while oral versions of the Gospels were doubtless circulating long before they were written down. Christianity spread like wildfire; it was present in Rome by 60 AD and probably much earlier. Paul's Epistles were a reaction to a cult which had already spread, and not the initial cause of its spread. The early cult was spread by Peter, and by primitive orally-transmitted versions of what came to be the Gospels. (Note that Paul makes the Resurrection central to the religion he espouses in his Epistles, while for Mark the Resurrection is barely an after-thought.)

If Jesus were a fiction, the fiction writers would have had flexibility about how he was martyred. Given Deuteronomy 21:23 why hang him from a tree? John the Baptist wasn't hung from a tree.

Did Paul base his theology on a mythical debasement (crucifixion) of Jesus? But the story of the crucifixion under Pontius Pilate is found BEFORE Paul; it is in the earliest oral Gospels; it is in Tacitus' account of the Emperor Nero.

Josephus wrote hearsay.

Almost all history is hearsay. Suetonius was born when Nero was already dead, yet his was the authoritative biography. We look to Tacitus for information about the early Christians in Rome; Tacitus was about 7 years old when Rome burned.

I love Reynolds' biography of John Brown. Highly recommend! Yet Reynolds was born almost 90 years after Brown's death. Should I throw this book away?

The gospels and NT are anonymous fiction.

Are you a professional historian?

Have you even studied the views of professional historians on this matter? You should know better than most that I am not over-eager to jump on an "expert's consensus" bandwagon, but expert opinion is often a good starting point.

Experts agree that much of the story of Jesus is factual, not fictional. Have you reviewed their evidence?

Jesus' brother James is a major stumblng-block for mythicists; have you picked a scenario to hoist your petard on?
Yet you treat these documents like historical commentary instead of historical artifacts. Why do you do that? Why do you say christianity spread like wildfire? Is this from Chrestus or because of Paul? The Josephus passage about Jesus we know is an interpolation and was "discovered" by Eusebius, a known forger and propagandist from the third century.

Do you get brownie points for pointing out facts I had pointed to just moments before?
John the Baptist was also historic. The Jewish-Roman historian Josephus devotes a long discussion to him. A discussion with ZERO reference to Jesus or any Christian cult. Except for one mention of Jesus which is widely agreed to be an interpolation by a Christian editor, is there any accusation of writing fiction that has b that have turned up testifies to that. een lodged against Josephus? The historicity of John the Baptist is confirmed by all four Gospels, Acts, and several Epistles. JtB? Historic. Period.

You speak of "christianity" as some kind of monolithic movement when it wasn't. Why do you do that?

Why is there not a historical Santa Claus? What about the historical Hercules or Pegasus?
Fiction is fiction. Fact is fact. If you thought Paul Bunyan was factual, would my reciting names like Huckleberry Finn and Sherlock Holmes contribute to the discussion?

The FACT that separate Christian cults diverged early on gives support to historicity. If the cults worshiped different Messiahs, they might have had different names. NOPE! They all worshipped the same man -- the Jesus of Nazareth who was crucified by Pontius Pilate.
"Historical Jesus" could be a lot of things. Please define your "Historical Jesus" and then tell us how your evidence supports your claim.

What can be GUESSED is that Jesus "of Nazareth" was born in Galilee roughly 5 BC. He was probably baptized by John the Baptist; after John's arrest some of John's followers probably chose Jesus as their new leader. He developed a ministry in Galilee and Judaea but very little is known of details. He was crucified by order of Pontius Pilate about 30 AD, but even the details of that are unclear.

Some time after his death cult(s) developed and spread rapidly. By about 50 AD or even earlier there were largish Christian communities in Greece and Rome. The spread of Christianity was quite phenomenal. The huge number of written fragments of the Gospels; conparisons with later Gospels show that the Gospel contents had undergone very little change. Before the first known complete Gospel, Ethiopia and Armenia had adopted Christianity as their state religions.

Why did Christianity spread so rapidly? Several reasons are possible, and the charisma of the man named Jesus likely played an important role.

The man called Simon Peter may have played the biggest role; he concocted myths about supernatural powers and preached a doctrine of salvation. Other important mythmakers probably included the Sons of Zebedee and St. Paul.

There are several reasons why this outline makes more sense than any purely mythicist reconstruction. I have discussed some of them. And works of professional historians are on-line waiting to be read.

Maybe I'll have the patience to play Whack-a-Mole. So: Will you start with the alleged Chrestian/Christian mismatch?

There are ample cases of legends attached to historical figures. There are also legends that are attached to fantasy.
It's not always easy to tell, especially when the figures (humans) are said to be from thousands of years ago.

Maybe there was a Jesus upon whom the legend is based, and maybe not. So what? It makes no difference, really.
Why did Christianity spread so rapidly?
B'cause Constantine was really enthusiastic about it, and had ways of making sure you believed too, if you happened to be in his territory?

Several reasons are possible, and the charisma of the man named Jesus likely played an important role.

Why is that likely? I find it more plausible that said charisma was invented by Constantine and his successors. But again, it's totally academic and non-consequential.

Maybe I'll have the patience to play Whack-a-Mole. So: Will you start with the alleged Chrestian/Christian mismatch?
We've discussed the Stratfordian Shakespeare in the past. Your references to the historical Jesus are similar in that there are lots of probably, guessed, assume, likely, - words like that. Certainly you think it's at least possible that the jesus who was the brother of James had absolutely nothing to do with the gospel narratives. Do you think that's possible? Do you think a writer could not have invented the gospel narrative by drawing from these many and divergent experiences and events? That is what writers do, you know.

I understand orthodox narratives and why they are popular. They're popular because by providing closure and a sense of the miraculous they are comforting. I get that. People really don't like when their orthodoxy is challenged.

Certainly you think it's at least possible that the jesus who was the brother of James had absolutely nothing to do with the gospel narratives. Do you think that's possible? Do you think a writer could not have invented the gospel narrative by drawing from these many and divergent experiences and events? That is what writers do, you know.

Josephus mentions James, the brother of Jesus, only once. It's in a long paragraph that describes the martyrdom of James at the hands of a Jewish High Priest, and the aftermath of James' unrighteous assassination. (I've discussed this several times, and highlighted the folly of Carrier's "solution." Will you make me track down that discussion Yet.Again?)

James dies and is then dead at that point in Josephus' narrative, the only point where Josephus mentions him.

Paul mentions a meeting he had with James "the Lord's brother," at a time when James is still alive. This is the ONLY time in the ENTIRE Bible where the term "the Lord's brother" (or something similar) is applied this way. ONLY.TIME. Paul states that that James is one of "the three pillars" of the Christian Church, the other two being Simon/Cephas/Peter, and the surviving son of Zebedee. Unlike the other two pillars, James was NOT one of "The Twelve" as Paul makes clear at 1 Corinthians 15:5-7.

As for "Chrestian/Christian" -- Am I correct that the unique alleged reference to "Chrestian" comes from Tacitus where he mentions "Chrest" as having been crucified by Pilate?

Why did Christianity spread so rapidly?
B'cause Constantine was really enthusiastic about it, and had ways of making sure you believed too, if you happened to be in his territory?

Christianity spread rapidly over MILLENNIA. I referred specifically to its rapid very EARLY growth. Nero was upset about the number of Christians in Rome THREE (3) centuries BEFORE Constantine. Ethiopia and Armenia adopted this new religion as their state religion BEFORE the time of Constantine.

Several reasons are possible, and the charisma of the man named Jesus likely played an important role.

Why is that likely? I find it more plausible that said charisma was invented by Constantine and his successors. But again, it's totally academic and non-consequential.

Constantine??? :confused2: Did he write the Gospels??

Here is something that I consider a very similar case:  Historicity of King Arthur It seems to me that without big religious interests, the debate on the historicity of Jesus Christ would play out much like the debate on the historicity of Arthur Pendragon.

Around 500 CE, he supposedly conquered the British Isles, nearby islands, and nearby continental Europe, though his empire did not survive his mysterious disappearance.

But the first surviving references to him start some three centuries later and very fragmentary. In an early source, "Historia Brittonum" (History of the Britons), he appears as a war leader (dux bellorum) and a soldier (miles) but not as a king (rex).

After three more centuries of such references, a certain Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote a very detailed "Historia regum Britanniae" (History of the Kings of Britain), a work where the familiar form of the King Arthur story first appeared.

A historical King Arthur was likely some early-medieval Welsh king or maybe an even earlier Roman leader. But it's generally agreed that the details recounted by GoM and his successors all came from these authors' imaginations.

In 1936, R. G. Collingwood and J. N. L. Myres treated Arthur as a Roman Comes Britanniarum (Count of the Britons). They asserted that "the historicity of [Arthur] can hardly be called into question", though they were careful to separate the historical Arthur from the legendary Arthur.

By 1991, the Biographical Dictionary of Dark Age Britain stated that "historians are tending to take a minimal view of the historical value of even the earliest evidence for Arthur, but most probably still see him as an historical figure ..." while "the chivalric Arthur ... was essentially the creation of Geoffrey of Monmouth in the twelfth century."

... In 2013, Guy Halsall reported that "among the academic community, the sceptics have decisively carried the day". In 2018, Nicholas J. Higham refuted all the outstanding claims for a historical Arthur, summarising his position as: "That Arthur has produced extraordinary quantities of 'smoke' is in large part because he is so well suited to be a fulcrum of make-believe. But there is no historical 'fire' underlying the stories that congregated around him, just 'highland mist'." His book has been generally praised.

In a 2018 review, Tom Shippey summarised the situation as "modern academic historians want nothing to do with King Arthur." In a 2019 review, Brian David reported that "Few topics in late antique and medieval history elicit scholarly groans quite like the idea of a supposedly 'factual' King Arthur. Yet historians and other scholars made cases for Arthur’s existence in historical and literary studies until the 1980s. For academics today, the question of the realism of King Arthur has been largely banished to popular books, video games, and movies."
The accounts of this monarch can be divided into pre-Galfridian and post-Galfridian ones, using a Latinization of GoM's name: Galfridius.

Post-Galfridian accounts are all considered to be mostly or entirely legendary, and the well-known King Arthur story is all post-Galfridian.

Pre-Galfridian accounts are another story, with the arguments in academia being over how much of these accounts have some plausible historical original, if any at all.

Constantine??? :confused2: Did he write the Gospels??
Did he not force the interpretation of Jesus’ divinity from it?

He did rather.. enforce the idea, making the divinity interpretation much more popular to the masses in the Roman empire under his rule, although, he wasn't the originator of the interpretation. That divinity concept existed long before Constantine was born, which was around 272 AD.

JUSTIN MARTYR (150 A.D.) "That the prophecy is fulfilled, you have good reason to believe, for we, who in times past killed one another, do not now fight with our enemies."26 "We, who had been filled with war and mutual slaughter and every wickedness, have each one-all the world over-changed the instruments of war, the swords into plows and the spears into farming implements, and we cultivate piety, righteousness, love for men, faith, (and) the hope which is from Father Himself through the Crucified One."27

JUSTINUS (Latin Historian - 150 A.D.) "We who hated and slew one another, and because of (traditional) customs would not share a common hearth with those who were not of our tribe, now, after the appearance of Christ, have become sociable, and pray for our enemies, and try to persuade those who hate unjustly, in order that they, living according to the good suggestions of Christ, may share our hope of obtaining the same from God who is Master of all." "And we who formerly slew one another not only do not make war against our enemies, but, for the sake of not telling lies or deceiving those who examine us, we gladly die confessing Christ."

ORIGENES (240 A.D.) 36 "And the reason why Christians avoid the public services of earthly life is not because they want to evade them, but because they are reserving themselves for the more Divine ad more needful service of the Church of God, taking the lead-at once needfully and righteously-in the salvation of men, and being concerned for all men..."

TERTULLIANUS (210 A.D.) "You must confess that the prophecy has been accomplished, as far as the practice of every individual is concerned, to whom I is applicable."38 "...the new law pointed to clemency, and changed the former savagery of swords and lances into tranquillity, and refashioned the former infliction of war upon rivals and foes of the law into the peaceful acts of plow and cultivating the earth.

IRENAEUS (180 A.D.) "For the Christians have changed their swords and their lances into instruments of peace, and they know not how to fight.

CYPRIANUS (250 A.D.) The world, ‘he says, ‘is wet with mutual blood (shed) :and homicide is a crime when individuals commit it, (but) it is called a virtue, when it is carried on publicly. Not the reason of innocence, but the magnitude of savagery, demands impunity for crimes.’ He censures also the vanity and deceitful pomp of the military office."23

(Courtesy and credit to 'The Early Christian View of War and Military Service' site for their hard work enlightening & highlighting this, which unfortunately isn't available online anymore)

Last edited:
Here is something that I consider a very similar case:  Historicity of King Arthur It seems to me that without big religious interests, the debate on the historicity of Jesus Christ would play out much like the debate on the historicity of Arthur Pendragon.

WRONG. Not similar AT ALL.

In this thread we discuss the Minimal Jesus of Nazareth, about whom much fact AND fiction was written in the decades immediately after his death. Details are "fleshed in" by writings from the 2nd and 3rd centuries, but those details must be read with a large "grain of salt." By 4th century writing, we are talking about something else entirely. There ARE some historic persons about whom no writing survives except from several centuries after their deaths, but fortunately that is NOT the case with Jesus.

We KNOW that there were writings and oral traditions about Jesus from the mid 1st-century even though the earliest physical writing fragments date to the 2nd century. (Papyrus is fragile. Duuh!)

Professional historians -- (Remember them?) -- will be especially interested in the EARLIEST documents: The New Testament, Josephus, Clement of Rome, Tacitus and Suetonius provide a large trove of early documents*.

Thus I was astounded when the 4th-century Constantine was mentioned as of possible relevance. Sure, he was important to the DEVELOPMENT of Christianity centuries after the time of Jesus, and might be the focus of ANOTHER thread.
Here I've taken care not to deprecate interest in that Emperor and his role in the development of a major religion. BUT he has NOTHING to do with THIS thread. (Does anyone seriously suggest that there are major differences in the Gospels between the 2nd and 4th centuries? Or that such MINOR differences that do exist have not been thoroughly studied by professional historians?)

I keep mentioning "professional historians" because it almost seems like some of you REJECT anything actual experts have to say. Almost like climate change deniers, who would rather listen to uninformed rants than to read science.

THIS thread is to determine what may and may not be gleaned about the Historic Jesus -- the man who walked the earth and died about 30 AD. Nothing from the 4th century is of conceivable relevance to this task.

This is all almost completely backwards. Professional historians have concluded that Monmouth's stories about Arthur are almost certainly fiction. The "Galfridian Arthur" may have become an exciting set of myths, loosely connected to Christianity, but AFAIK this "Arthur" was never endorsed by any formal church, none of his "Knights" were venerated by the church, and so on. Tales of the "Holy Grail" are not part of a religion; they are a fantasy which, like the Chronicles of Narnia, may parallel a religion in impressionable minds.

Professional historians -- remember them? -- who explore the "Historic Arthur", if any, rely on documents much older than Monmouth's writing.

Around 500 CE, he supposedly conquered the British Isles, nearby islands, and nearby continental Europe, though his empire did not survive his mysterious disappearance.

No professional historian believes that anything like that happened. Not one.
But the first surviving references to him start some three centuries later and very fragmentary. In an early source, "Historia Brittonum" (History of the Britons), he appears as a war leader (dux bellorum) and a soldier (miles) but not as a king (rex).

St. Bede goes further in rejecting Arthur as royal, as shown in the portion of an excerpt I've reddened.
The Venerable Bede's Historia Brittonum said:
Then the militant Arthur, with the people and kings of Britain, fought against the Saxons. And though there were many nobler than he, it was he that was twelve times the leader and victor of battle. The first battle he entered into against the Saxons was near the mouth of the river that is called Gleni. The second, third, fourth, and fifth were on another river which is called Duglas by the Britons, in the region of Linius. The sixth battle was on the river called Bassas. The seventh battle against the Saxons that Arthur engaged in was in the forest of Celidon, which is called Cat Coit Celidon by the Britons. The eighth battle against the foreigners was near the castle Guinion, and there Arthur carried the likeness of holy Mary, the mother of God and eternal virgin, on his shoulders. And that day all the Saxons, by the virtue of our Lord Jesus Christ and his holy mother Mary, were routed and during the retreat many of their number perished.

There are a few very brief mentions of Arthur that may predate Gildas and Bede. For example the 6th-century Brythonic war poet  Aneirin (probably based in Gododdin, near present-day Edinburgh) may have written about the military hero Gwawrddur:
He fed black ravens on the rampart of a fortress
Though he was no Arthur
Among the powerful ones in battle
In the front rank, Gwawrddur was a palisade

This very early reference to "Arthur" tells us nothing about Arthur, except that the name was a "meme"! Just as "Chad" is used in today's slang for a certain type of young single male, so "Arthur" might have developed as a generic meme word for a great warrior. Perhaps centuries from now, historians will try to track down the original trouble-making Karen, much as we try to track down the original Arthur!

One interestig clue to gnaw on -- though please start a new thread if you do -- is that Arthur is a legendary hero in Scotland. A mythical genealogy of Clan Campbell traces that lineage back to Arthur! This despite that the Gaels and Britons have seldom been on friendly terms over the centuries.

Ethiopia and Armenia adopted this new religion as their state religion BEFORE the time of Constantine.
How many other religions disappeared after flourishing in certain regions? Was Constantine a non-factor in the metastasis of Christianity?

As I understand it followers of Jesus the prince of peace were violent and at each other;s throats pber theology and power. One of the disputes was over whether Jewas the sus was divine or not.

A problem for Constantine. Rome always considered a state religion essential to civil order. Constantine did what all good Romans endorsers did, make use and manipulate stoical groups.

The end result was the Nicene Creed in the link. It was a loyalty oath to the new synthesis analogous t or Pledge Of Alliance as a political oath.

I learted the creed in 50s Catholic schools.

What our modern Christians do not get is that the Christianity they have has nothing to do with a gospel Jesus and the first believers aka Jewish heretics.

Christianity as it became and went forward was a political consensus on theology fostered by a Roman emperor. t was the RCC until the Reformation and back to violent Christian conflcts.

The First Council of Nicaea (/naɪˈsiːə/ ny-SEE-ə; Ancient Greek: Σύνοδος τῆς Νικαίας, romanized: Sýnodos tês Nikaías) was a council of Christian bishops convened in the Bithynian city of Nicaea (now İznik, Turkey) by the Roman Emperor Constantine I. The Council of Nicaea met from May until the end of July 325.[4]

This ecumenical council was the first of many efforts to attain consensus in the church through an assembly representing all Christendom. Hosius of Corduba may have presided over its deliberations.[5][6] Its main accomplishments were settlement of the Christological issue of the divine nature of God the Son and his relationship to God the Father,[2] the construction of the first part of the Nicene Creed, mandating uniform observance of the date of Easter,[7] and promulgation of early canon law.[3][8]

Alexandrian controversies
Main articles: Arian controversy and Melitians

The major impetus for the calling of the Council of Nicaea arose in a theological dispute among the Christian clergy of Alexandria concerning the nature of Jesus, his origin, and relation to God the Father.[9] Scholars propose dates between 318 and 322 for the beginning of the dispute.[10] The precise origins of the controversy are unclear, but the principal actors were Archbishop Alexander of Alexandria and the presbyter Arius.[11] Arius' teachings are known partially from a few of his writing which survive, but principally from his opponents, primarily Alexander and Athanasius of Alexandria.[12][13] Arius criticized Alexander's teachings on Christology; Alexander taught that Jesus as God the Son was eternally generated from the Father, while Arius and his followers asserted that the Father alone was eternal, and that the Son was created or begotten by the Father, and thus had a defined point of origin and was subordinate to the Father.[14][15] Arius accused Alexander of following the teachings of Sabellius, who taught that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were one person, rather than the view held throughout the east that they were distinct.[16] Alexander called a local council of bishops from Egypt and Libya, which sided with Alexander's view. Arius refused to subscribe to the council's decision, and he and several followers were excommunicated and exiled from Alexandria by Alexander. Arius then traveled to churches around the Roman east and wrote to bishops to gain support of his view. Among Arius' supporters were Eusebius of Nicomedia and Eusebius of Caesarea, and they advocated for his view and his restoration to the church in Alexandria. Alexander also circulated letters defending his own position.[17][10]

Swammerdami said:
BTW, did the name Cephas or Petros even exist as a personal name before Simon changed his name? Honest question.

A somewhat cursory internet search turns up no evidence of the name Cephas/Peter existing before the NT.

There's been some speculation among scholars that Peter's supposed renaming as Cephas is an intentional bid to allude to or associate him with Josef ben Caiaphas, high priest in Jerusalem at the time of Christ's death. The names are quite similar in Greek, came to us through Aramaic, and are otherwise unheard of historically, so it is not so off the wall.

The title of the thread is "Historical Jesus." Is this phrase confusing or ambiguous? The Historical Jesus is defined as the actual living breathing Jesus "of Nazareth" who did -- or as some incorrectly have it, did not -- actually walk the earth during the early 1st century AD.

Ethiopia and Armenia adopted this new religion as their state religion BEFORE the time of Constantine.
How many other religions disappeared after flourishing in certain regions? Was Constantine a non-factor in the metastasis of Christianity?

Why are we still talking about Constantine?? The discussion, and the relevance of Ethiopia and Armenia but NOT Constantine, was about the VERY EARLY spread of Christian cult(s). The name of the thread is "Historical Jesus." It is to the very EARLIEST incidents and documents that we look for information about the Historical Jesus.

Swammerdami said:
BTW, did the name Cephas or Petros even exist as a personal name before Simon changed his name? Honest question.

A somewhat cursory internet search turns up no evidence of the name Cephas/Peter existing before the NT.

So, if we take your cursory search as probative, the personal name Cephas/Peter was INVENTED by the earliest Christian(s).

the personal name Cephas/Peter was INVENTED by the earliest Christian(s).
The Ethiopians invented the name Peter? Or was it the Armenians.
Sorry -I feel like I’m not following along correctly so I’ll not comment further.

Are you trying to be sarcastic? OF COURSE, there's no relationship between either of those countries and a name presumably invented in Galilee or Judaea.

Nothing I wrote earlier placed those unrelated things in close proximity.

You made two brief posts recently, unrelated to each other. One referred (indirectly) to the countries. The other was about the origin of Cephas/Peter. I responded to both with a SINGLE post. Mea culpa.

Apparently I needed to make TWO posts, each responding to only ONE of your two posts. Is that what I should learn? Mea culpa.

Although we've just witnessed a major flaw in my posting style -- combining unrelated ideas into a single post -- my methods of paragraph formation are not completely flawed. If I were striving to make some connection between Armenia and Cephas, I would have suggested the connection explicitly, probably incorporating both words into a single sentence.

Back
Top Bottom