• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How can Derek Chauvin expect a fair trial in Minneapolis?

Why, the way you defended what happened with Daunte Wright I'd think it would help Derek Chauvin if it has any effect on the Jury at all. It was clearly an accident, thus the Jury may see Derek Chauvin's as an accident. If Daunte Wright would have complied he'd be arrested and alive, you'd say the same for George Flyod. What gives D? Change of heart?

Why, the way you defended what happened with Daunte Wright I'd think it would help Derek Chauvin if it has any effect on the Jury at all. It was clearly an accident, thus the Jury may see Derek Chauvin's as an accident. If Daunte Wright would have complied he'd be arrested and alive, you'd say the same for George Flyod. What gives D? Change of heart?

I doubt that. Derec is very consistent in his positions and values. He always puts forth his arguments with a clarity and eloquence that can't be misconstrued and has never, to my knowledge, obfuscated an issue.

Your uninformed opinion is duly noted.

And more importantly, what is the alternative if a fair trial is impossible? Society cannot simply let alleged criminals go.

There isn't one. My only point when entering this and the other thread is that this trial is so politisized that its beyond fairness. Its not going to happen. Whatever the result will be more about public opinion than the facts of the case. I think it's weird how so many in this thread fail to see this.

Sometimes there's no way of getting a fair trial, no matter how hard we try. Sometimes we just have to accept that life isn't fair.

There's a saying that goes: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Guess you never heard of it.

I think what has been revealed is how mass hysteria works. So many (on and off this forum) want to see Chauvin burn, that they don't care about the facts of the matter. Only a harsh punishment will be accepted as fair.

I've switched position on this btw. I talked to a friend who works in an addiction emergency ward. That's where they bring addicts when they OD. According to him Chauvin should be acquitted. He gave me a bunch of medical reasons I couldn't follow. But essentially, this happens all the time with junkies doped up to this point. What makes this case special is the political circus around it and race politics of USA. If it hadn't been for that Chauvin wouldn't even have gotten a stern talking to by his captain. My friend spends a lot of his time giving comfort to these cops who keep accidentally killing junkies. I'm not an expert at all. But I trust my friends experience on this. So I will bend to his judgement. According to him anyway, the correct and fair judgement should be an acquittal. And that's what I now think as well.

What makes this case special is the political circus around it and race politics of USA.

Really? Because I could have sworn the reason this case is "special" is because no one would have heard about it unless it was filmed. You know, like Ahmaud Arbery. Or when Buffalo Police said an elderly man tripped, fell and was immediately given medical care until this footage came out. Or that BLM and antifa protesters swarmed two NY police cars until this footage came out. US cops have a depressingly well documented history to say whatever bullshit they like to avoid accountability. For fuck's sake, just google the phrase, "We write the reports". This may sound presumptuous, but I suspect most US citizens would be fine with racist cops if they were just held accountable a little. I'm pretty fucking certain the phrase, "qualified immunity" would fly over your head as well.

You think this case is special. Doesn't make it so.

If it hadn't been for that Chauvin wouldn't even have gotten a stern talking to by his captain.

Yes. That's the fucking point.

But you know what I really giggle over? You sticking to your guns that juries can't make a rational reasoned verdict after lessoning to expert witnesses despite you yourself changing your mind on the incident because someone you know told you a bunch of stuff you didn't understand. You're right about hysteria being revealed. You are dead wrong about the source.

US cops have a depressingly well documented history to say whatever bullshit they like to avoid accountability.

Agreed. That doesn't mean we should punish all cops no matter the evidence. Due process is important. And cops of course are experts at gaming the system to avoid getting caught. Which makes them slippery fucks.

My default position is to be suspicious of cops. I assume they're all scumbags. Including Chauvin. It's quite possible for him to be a racist scumbag who accidentally kills a black man.

For fuck's sake, just google the phrase, "We write the reports". This may sound presumptuous, but I suspect most US citizens would be fine with racist cops if they were just held accountable a little. I'm pretty fucking certain the phrase, "qualified immunity" would fly over your head as well.

I'm not arguing against this.

But you know what I really giggle over? You sticking to your guns that juries can't make a rational reasoned verdict after lessoning to expert witnesses despite you yourself changing your mind on the incident because someone you know told you a bunch of stuff you didn't understand. You're right about hysteria being revealed. You are dead wrong about the source.

Yes, I'm capable of changing my mind. Yes, I accept that I'm not the expert on all things. I'm cool with trusting what actual experts say on matters even though I don't understand all the details. I don't know why you think that is so funny.

I never said that the jury members can't make rational reasoned verdicts. That was never my problem with the trial. But I do think that the public outcry, from both sides, will influence the jury. That's something different than their rational faculties being impaired. Humans are social beings. Other people's opinions influence ours. Our personal politics colour how we interpret events. That's my only argument.

But it's funny that you insist that "I stick to my guns" when you haven't even understood what guns I am sticking to :)

...and now an actual coroner has weighed in (she's in the same chatgroup).

Apparently when Floyd came in they should have done something called a HSP70 colour test. Which they didn't do. Which is suspicious. She comes down on that Chauvin is guilty. Because a cop should know that Floyd in that position has a hard time breathing, even without a knee in the neck. Made worse by the adrenaline suspects always get when arrested. She claims this is really basic stuff any cop would know. The drugs wouldn't help the situation.

... so now I changed my opinion again. I have no problem switching my opinion, even several times a day. I have a high respect for those who know more than me :)

Down with Chauvin. May he burn!

There's a saying that goes: When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Guess you never heard of it.

I think what has been revealed is how mass hysteria works. So many (on and off this forum) want to see Chauvin burn, that they don't care about the facts of the matter. Only a harsh punishment will be accepted as fair.

I've switched position on this btw. I talked to a friend who works in an addiction emergency ward. That's where they bring addicts when they OD. According to him Chauvin should be acquitted. He gave me a bunch of medical reasons I couldn't follow. But essentially, this happens all the time with junkies doped up to this point. What makes this case special is the political circus around it and race politics of USA. If it hadn't been for that Chauvin wouldn't even have gotten a stern talking to by his captain. My friend spends a lot of his time giving comfort to these cops who keep accidentally killing junkies. I'm not an expert at all. But I trust my friends experience on this. So I will bend to his judgement. According to him anyway, the correct and fair judgement should be an acquittal. And that's what I now think as well.

You're thinking of excited delirium--but that completely does not describe this case.

Back
Top Bottom