• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How can people entertain/believe the idea that Trump's COVID-19 infection is a hoax?

The circumstances of Trump's diagnosis have been widely covered in the media.

And they are avoiding saying when his last negative test was prior to the public announcement of his diagnosis. Why do you suppose that is? When did he really first test positive?

And they are avoiding saying when his last negative test was prior to the public announcement of his diagnosis. Why do you suppose that is? When did he really first test positive?

Oh, surely Trump’s not smart enought to hide the date of his last positive test! Surely we al know that? Who would be stupid enough to believe he’d be able to hide the date of his last positive test?!

I don't know when he 'really' first tested positive. What I do know is that it would be entirely fanciful for the president of the United States to pretend he was positive when he was not.

Oh, i get it.
Metaphor somewhy needs the biggest gripes about Trump to be from unbalanced hatred, not, you know, "paying attention for the last twenty years." Therefore THE MOST POWERFUL MAN idiot IN THE WEST, who spent three years getting total control of The Word coming out around him, cannot even consider staging a hoax, because he would be the one with the rational estimation of his chance for success.

Therefore, any argument must proceed from the same hatred, the same desire to somehow 'catch' the draft'dodger cheating, like with his taxes, or his SATs, or on every woman in his life.

Therefore, irrational to have even wondered, at any point, if this might be his October Surprise, pity play, or an attempt to promote HQC a bit more.

I didn't say people couldn't 'wonder' about it. People can't help the thoughts that go on in their head. But people wondered about it long enough to tweet about it, to proclaim their 'skepticism'.

Some of the people proclaiming their skepticism probably did not really believe it was a hoax: they were just lying about their doubts to virtue-signal about what a pathological liar Trump was, and the diagnosis was a useful springboard. Other people proclaiming their skepticism probably really did believe it was a hoax, and are either prone to conspiracy thinking, or their Trump hatred has deranged their thinking with regards to Trump's actions.

I don't know when he 'really' first tested positive. What I do know is that it would be entirely fanciful for the president of the United States to pretend he was positive when he was not.

I agree. But it’s very likely that he tested positive sooner than they would like to admit.

...it’s very likely that he tested positive sooner than they would like to admit.

A virtual certainty, that.
As is the fact that he would have crowed about a negative test if he had received one by now.

I agree. Like how the doctors treating Trump provided contradictory timelines, then the Whitehouse disputing the doctors' finding, then the refusal to do contact tracing for the Amy Comer-Barrett Superspreader Event. Then there is the fact that Trump was released from hospital and back to work and going to rallies well before the 14 day quarantine guidelines from CDC. No sane leader would ignore the health and safety guidelines of their own government.

Now just to clarify, I do think Trump has contracted covid. But to say it is "irrational to believe that it is a hoax" is fucking idiotic when there is enough circumstantial evidence to give the argument merit. If you spent a moment looking at the context and the arguments provided you could see how such a conclusion could come about. And as I mentioned before, it is certainly a lot more plausible than asinine theories like "the left poisoned Trump's diet coke to give him covid" or "this is code for QAnon supporters".

If Trump said "I farted in bed last night" there'd be people Tweeting "pressing X to doubt".

Fucking oath I would. This is a guy who believes windmills cause cancer and the British had an airforce in 1766, among a billion other idiotic lies he's tried to peddle. As I said before, he could say the sun will rise up tomorrow and I would wait for a second opinion. Zero credibility doesn't even begin to describe how untrustworthy Trump is and I am completely justified in saying so.

Are you fucking kidding me? He tried to claim that it didn't rain at his Inauguration:

trump_inauguration_celebrants.jpg

You're holding onto the belief that there are some things Trump won't lie about and you have the temerity to accuse other people of being irrational? Wow.

Some of the people proclaiming their skepticism probably did not really believe it was a hoax: they were just lying about their doubts to virtue-signal about what a pathological liar Trump was,

This is a really really weird statement.
You are doing flips and twists to accuse unknown people of irrationally and unjustifiably distrusting trump.
Thinking about you twisting that up just makes me squint one eye and tilt my head at you.
Have you seen this guy Trump?

I agree. Like how the doctors treating Trump provided contradictory timelines, then the Whitehouse disputing the doctors' finding, then the refusal to do contact tracing for the Amy Comer-Barrett Superspreader Event. Then there is the fact that Trump was released from hospital and back to work and going to rallies well before the 14 day quarantine guidelines from CDC. No sane leader would ignore the health and safety guidelines of their own government.

Now just to clarify, I do think Trump has contracted covid. But to say it is "irrational to believe that it is a hoax" is fucking idiotic when there is enough circumstantial evidence to give the argument merit.

You have just written a paragraph implying Trump was trying to cover up that he had COVID-19 for as long as possible, and now you expect me to believe it's rational to believe also the exact opposite situation, that he would fake having it when he doesn't?

If you spent a moment looking at the context and the arguments provided you could see how such a conclusion could come about. And as I mentioned before, it is certainly a lot more plausible than asinine theories like "the left poisoned Trump's diet coke to give him covid" or "this is code for QAnon supporters".

If you want to discuss those theories, feel free to start your own thread.

You're holding onto the belief that there are some things Trump won't lie about and you have the temerity to accuse other people of being irrational? Wow.

Yes: it is irrational to believe that Trump would pretend he had COVID-19 if he didn't have it. It's a lie that wouldn't make any sense. It's a lie that couldn't be contained. It'd be an actual lie - unlike, say, Trump believing and proclaiming that aerosols can't escape Trump tower, which was not Trump lying, it was Trump being ignorant.

You are doing flips and twists to accuse unknown people of irrationally and unjustifiably distrusting trump.
Thinking about you twisting that up just makes me squint one eye and tilt my head at you.

This thread is beyond parody.

I did not say Trump didn't routinely lie.

I did not say Trump was trustworthy.

I said it would be irrational to believe or entertain the notion that Trump would lie about having COVID-19 if he didn't have it. It makes no sense. Lies are usually self-serving, but Trump pretending he had COVID-19 when he didn't doesn't seem to serve any kind of useful purpose for Trump. And for a lie that serves no useful purpose, it's also a grand one to try to pull off. This isn't lying about having a headache to go home early from a boring party. COVID-19 has, like, testing and stuff.

You have just written a paragraph implying Trump was trying to cover up that he had COVID-19 for as long as possible, and now you expect me to believe it's rational to believe also the exact opposite situation, that he would fake having it when he doesn't?

Nope, I just wrote a paragraph implying Trump's attempt at faking that he had Covid was so inept that no one at the Whitehouse could keep their lies straight. Just because you came to a different conclusion doesn't make you right.

If you want to discuss those theories, feel free to start your own thread.

So you're fine talking about the miniscule amount of people who believe that it was a hoax, but unwilling to discuss the plethora of other conspiracy theories about the exact same incident. That's like worrying about your brake lights when your fucking car is on fire. Nice to know you have your priorities set right.

Yes: it is irrational to believe that Trump would pretend he had COVID-19 if he didn't have it. It's a lie that wouldn't make any sense. It's a lie that couldn't be contained. It'd be an actual lie - unlike, say, Trump believing and proclaiming that aerosols can't escape Trump tower, which was not Trump lying, it was Trump being ignorant.

Nope, you're just wrong. Even Trump supporters caution taking him at his word. But keep on grabbing at some of these if it makes you feel better.

Remembering that "entertained the idea" is a far lower bar than "Committed whole hog to the "faking it" conspiracy," and "doubling down on it," how can you persuasively argue that Trump's credibility is such that a reasonable person could not possibly put it past him to lie for personal gain?

But I never said he wouldn't lie, or lie for personal gain, or lie for any reason whatsoever. The point is not whether he is trustworthy. His trustworthiness is beside the point. The point is that if you are President of the United States, you can't fake a COVID-19 diagnosis, treatment, and recovery, and Trump would know it.

Not saying he did but why couldn't he fake it? No one has access to his medical records except the doctors that just so happen to also be his subordinates. The president's medical suite in the hospital is private so no people walking down the halls to actually see him being treated. Why do you say he can't as if it's an impossibility?

And no, his trustworthiness is the entire point.

No, you said it was irrelevant, which is about the stupidest thing said on this board. You should get an award.

Nope, I just wrote a paragraph implying Trump's attempt at faking that he had Covid was so inept that no one at the Whitehouse could keep their lies straight. Just because you came to a different conclusion doesn't make you right.

But Trump didn't attempt to fake he had COVID.

So you're fine talking about the miniscule amount of people who believe that it was a hoax, but unwilling to discuss the plethora of other conspiracy theories about the exact same incident. That's like worrying about your brake lights when your fucking car is on fire. Nice to know you have your priorities set right.

You believe it's a miniscule number of people, but it's enough people that I noticed it, and it includes people who post on these boards.

Also, I didn't say I was unwilling to discuss other conspiracy theories. I told you to start your own thread instead of trying to derail mine.

Also, I reject your analogy and I also find it uncouth for you to tell people what their priorities and interests should be. But don't worry, you're not alone in your lack of grace. Other people routinely drop into my threads, tell me my priorities are garbage and I'm scum, and then leave.

No, you said it was irrelevant, which is about the stupidest thing said on this board. You should get an award.

It is irrelevant to the situation under discussion. The president of the United States could not successfully fake having COVID-19, nor was there any reason for him to fake having it. And he didn't fake having it. He had it.

I can't even with this board. Are you able to read and comprehend anything that you don't like?

It is irrelevant to the situation under discussion. The president of the United States could not successfully fake having COVID-19, nor was there any reason for him to fake having it. And he didn't fake having it. He had it.

I can't even with this board. Are you able to read and comprehend anything that you don't like?

Blah blah blah...

It is irrelevant to the situation under discussion. The president of the United States could not successfully fake having COVID-19,

No shit. No one is disputing that. Doesn't stop Trump from lying over something so easily disproven. See exhibit A:

nor was there any reason for him to fake having it.

Are you fucking serious? Trump has a huge incentive to fake having the virus, bounce back quickly with no lasting after effects and preach to his base how right he was in this being a Democrat Hoax. And that is exactly what happened. "Don't let the virus dominate you". Here are what some Trumptards are saying:
"What an opportunity to get to see the President a week and a half ago. And now see him again, so before COVID and after COVID. What a blessing. He looked great too," she said.

Metaphor said:
And he didn't fake having it. He had it.

Jesus tap dancing titty fucking arse biting Christ. I don't have an issue with the fact Trump has/had corona. I have a big issue with your argument the theory that such a thing could be a hoax when you posted on the fourth of October is irrational when:

a) Trump has a well documented history to lie even when such a lie is easily disproven
b) It makes good political theatre to pretend to get the virus, bounce back almost immediately and ridicule people who wear masks. And we are talking about a guy who will gas protesters to get a photo in front of a fucking church. It is not outside the realm of possibility
c) There was no reliable information coming out of the Whitehouse at the time
d) There is still no reliable, verifiable information coming out of the Whitehouse
e) This thread started less than 48 hours after Trump claimed he had Covid

And like I said, I reckon Trump has Covid. I can also understand why people would have thought it was a hoax nine days ago. That you can't says volumes about your critical thinking and comprehension skills.

Snap, babe.

Are you fucking serious? Trump has a huge incentive to fake having the virus, bounce back quickly with no lasting after effects and preach to his base how right he was in this being a Democrat Hoax.

Trump never called the coronavirus a hoax.

And that is exactly what happened. "Don't let the virus dominate you". Here are what some Trumptards are saying:
"What an opportunity to get to see the President a week and a half ago. And now see him again, so before COVID and after COVID. What a blessing. He looked great too," she said.

Metaphor said:
And he didn't fake having it. He had it.

Jesus tap dancing titty fucking arse biting Christ. I don't have an issue with the fact Trump has/had corona. I have a big issue with your argument the theory that such a thing could be a hoax when you posted on the fourth of October is irrational when:

a) Trump has a well documented history to lie even when such a lie is easily disproven
b) It makes good political theatre to pretend to get the virus, bounce back almost immediately and ridicule people who wear masks. And we are talking about a guy who will gas protesters to get a photo in front of a fucking church. It is not outside the realm of possibility
c) There was no reliable information coming out of the Whitehouse at the time
d) There is still no reliable, verifiable information coming out of the Whitehouse
e) This thread started less than 48 hours after Trump claimed he had Covid

And like I said, I reckon Trump has Covid. I can also understand why people would have thought it was a hoax nine days ago. That you can't says volumes about your critical thinking and comprehension skills.

No shit this thread started within 48 hours after Trump correctly claimed he had COVID, because people started trumpeting their irrational belief that Trump was hoaxing his illness within 48 hours.

I can understand why people thought it was a hoax, or claimed they thought it was a hoax. I think it was irrational or virtue-signalling, or both.

Trump never called the coronavirus a hoax.

Agreed. He called it a Democrat hoax.

No shit this thread started within 48 hours after Trump correctly claimed he had COVID, because people started trumpeting speculating their irrational belief suspicion and well justified skepticism that Trump was hoaxing his illness within 48 hours.

I can understand why people thought it was a hoax, or claimed they thought it was a hoax. I think it was irrational or virtue-signalling, or both.

Fixed for you. It's not irrational to be skeptical of anything Trump claims. You have quite literally pointed out the one Trump was telling the truth and are using it as some bizarre form of vindication.

Back
Top Bottom