• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How do You Deal with Christmas?

I have no problem with beliefs as long as it stays within the law and leaves me alone.

Obviously I have issues with American Christianity, bit I understand why someone would believe in Christian god. I don't begrudge anyone their beliefs.

Sneering at a childhood myth like Santa Claus represents to me a kind of bitterness. Who was it that called Chrtimas humbug?

Only the very young do not realize it is not real. Commercialization aside, Christmas that grew put of A Christmas Carol is a social ritual that people enjoy.
I tend to agree with you. Christmas was a lot of fun when I was a child, although it was a bit stressful, worrying about what gifts I would get for Xmas. Maybe Xmas made kids too materialistic. Nothing to with Santa, just basic greed.

I gave 100 dollars to a very poor friend of mine a few years ago so she could buy her granddaughter some Xmas gifts. She told me Xmas was about Jesus so it was okay if she couldn't buy the child anything, but I know that kids love getting gifts, and part of the Xmas myth is about gifts, so I didn't want the child to be left out. She has a wonderful caring family, despite being poor. I see that as better than any material gift, but children don't usually appreciate that aspect of life when they are young.

There was the religious part f Christmas. If you were not a regular church goer you at least went on Christimas.

There was getting the tree, putting on lights and ornaments, and the smell of the tree. People generally got in a good mood.

I lie Rhea's family's approach. Create a positive ritual and experience for kids explaing the meaning and the history.

Rituals are important. Like Monday Night Football for millions.

A black American created Kwanzaa as a yearly African American celebration coinciding with Christmas..

What Rhea said. It's about the Winter Solstice. It's actually quite the scientific celebration that's been overlaid with religious voodoo.
Science does not own the sun.
Christian denominations piggyback on it by hijacking pagan rituals. Neither of them own it. Scientists don't either. They don't try to. They just examine it - from a scientific angle.

What Rhea said. It's about the Winter Solstice. It's actually quite the scientific celebration that's been overlaid with religious voodoo.
Science does not own the sun.
Christian denominations piggyback on it by hijacking pagan rituals. Neither of them own it. Scientists don't either. They don't try to. They just examine it - from a scientific angle.
Poli is simply saying the reason we celebrate Christmas is not because a magic spaceman had a baby. Obviously I agree.

We all know that Christians stole Xmas from the pagans, but who cares? Groups make ups their own holidays and rituals. Xmas can be celebrated as a religious or secular holiday.

My husband and I don't care about rituals or holidays. We don't celebrate any of them any longer, now that we have no family nearby forcing us to participate. But, if I move closer to the son and grandkids before I die, I'll do whatever makes the rest of them happy.

My son is an atheist, so his Xmas is a secular one too. HIs wife has some assorted woo, but she's not a Christian. Still, if one is into holidays. Xmas is one that most people celebrate, and even a lot of Jewish people I've known do the tree and gift thing. It's cultural more than anything else.

We all know that Christians stole Xmas from the pagans, but who cares? Groups make ups their own holidays and rituals. Xmas can be celebrated as a religious or secular holiday.

My husband and I don't care about rituals or holidays. We don't celebrate any of them any longer, now that we have no family nearby forcing us to participate. But, if I move closer to the son and grandkids before I die, I'll do whatever makes the rest of them happy.

My son is an atheist, so his Xmas is a secular one too. HIs wife has some assorted woo, but she's not a Christian. Still, if one is into holidays. Xmas is one that most people celebrate, and even a lot of Jewish people I've known do the tree and gift thing. It's cultural more than anything else.
Even the pagan rituals and celebrations occurred because of the solstice. Our ancestors were great natural observers and astronomers because their survival literally depended on it. I wonder how many folks today actually know that. On a quiz would they say the reason for christmas is a space baby or the winter solstice. Likewise Easter. Would people say it's because the space baby came back to life or because of the vernal equinox?

Even the pagan rituals and celebrations occurred because of the solstice. Our ancestors were great natural observers and astronomers because their survival literally depended on it. I wonder how many folks today actually know that. On a quiz would they say the reason for christmas is a space baby or the winter solstice. Likewise Easter. Would people say it's because the space baby came back to life or because of the vernal equinox?
Easter is for getting candy from the Easter Bunny. I'm surprised you didn't know that. ;)

I doubt that most traditional Christians, the ones who don't read or aren't very educated about such things know that Christians took a lot of the pagan Solstice Day rituals and appropriated them as part of their own celebrations.

I honestly don't care but I suppose it would be nice if people learned the background of the origin of their celebrations. An atheist can enjoy some aspects of the Christian mythology if one finds it appealing. I've even known some atheists who attended church for community and their love of parts of the Christian philosophy. Whatever floats your boat, as long as it doesn't harm others, is fine with me. I've mellowed out with age.

Long before I became a Christian, I loved the Christmas holiday for one reason (other than Santa Claus! And presents! And good food!): the music. Handel's Messiah is some of the most glorious music I have ever sung. I have participated many, many times in a choir which performed this at Christmas. You can love the music without being a Christian.

My performing days are over, but I still listen to a recording of this every year at Christmas.

Ruth

Long before I became a Christian, I loved the Christmas holiday for one reason (other than Santa Claus! And presents! And good food!): the music. Handel's Messiah is some of the most glorious music I have ever sung. I have participated many, many times in a choir which performed this at Christmas. You can love the music without being a Christian.

My performing days are over, but I still listen to a recording of this every year at Christmas.

Ruth
Water Music is one of my favorites.

I love Mozart's Mass in C Minor. Not so crazy about Handel, but I can understand why a music loving Christian would love it. The words are a bit too much for me. At least the Mass is in Latin. :) I love listening to it as I drift off to sleep during cold winter nights.

I doubt that most traditional Christians, the ones who don't read or aren't very educated about such things know that Christians took a lot of the pagan Solstice Day rituals and appropriated them as part of their own celebrations.
I had a recent conversation on the word "Easter." The person is not overly religious or preachy, mostly just enjoys the old habits of going to church and socializing. But they had no idea where the word came from so I had to explain that it is named after a pagan goddess. This is why christians try to rename it the feast of the resurrection, it gets rid of the obvious pagan origins. I don't know if Eostre is resurrected in the original so maybe that phrase will have to be abandoned as well in time.

I think the RCC moved the Jesus birth celebration to coincide with the pagan winter festivals because it was competion.

I think the RCC moved the Jesus birth celebration to coincide with the pagan winter festivals because it was competion.
They started celebrating that in the third century to coincide with pagan celebrations. The space baby myth didn't have a fixed birthday before that.

I love Mozart's Mass in C Minor. Not so crazy about Handel, but I can understand why a music loving Christian would love it. The words are a bit too much for me. At least the Mass is in Latin. :) I love listening to it as I drift off to sleep during cold winter nights.

As a singer, my take on words is a little different. Most singers don't really pay any attention to the actual words themselves except to make sure that they pronounce them clearly while singing. I have sung in several languages (Latin, Spanish, German) that I don't speak at all and have no idea what the words actually meant.

The music is what carries me away.

Ruth

Back
Top Bottom