• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How does God do anything?

I call this issue a draw.
How? What points did you score?
It's like an algebraic equation. If both sides of the argument have the same weaknesses we can cross them out of the equation.
Please list an example of Naturalism of The Gaps, then. I susprct iy's another term you do not understand, but use.
Which means your 'side' has greater weakness than the other.

The classic example is multiverse theory. Its not only naturalism in the gaps its endless time and chance in the gaps as well.
How is that naturalism of the gaps?

God of the Gaps describes the theist effort to highlight things the secular scientists do not know, cannot prove, and suggest, imply, or insist those things will require gods to explain them. God as an explanatory device, limited to things that cannit be FIRMLY explained scientifically.

Like what you have been doing since your first post in this tgread.

Where does anyone go to theologists, and ask, 'can your god explain multiverses?' And then somehow insist the gap in divine attribution means science is needed to explain it?

I'd like hard quatloos, please, none of those post-dated, 3rd-party, out-of-system cheques.

Substitute the word “believe” into my question to you. No need to be confused by definitions.
HOW do you believe that your god exists? By what mechanism did this belief enter your head?

Big difference between a fact statement and a belief or opinion statement. The latter is merely your best guess what is true. The level of evidence is much different as well.

Sure I’ll tell you (again) how my conclusion that there is no god now or ever in the universe. Same as the last time I answered it:

I'm not sure about God operating in the universe. My theistic claim is a transcendent being(s) intentionally brought the universe into existence. I mentioned this earlier scientists, engineers and IT people created a realistic albeit virtual universe. At some point in time they could create planets and cause simulated abiogenis to occur. They can accelerate time and wait for sentient beings like ourselves to ponder how there existence came about. No doubt some would conclude its a fix and there is something behind it, other's would scoff and say how could such a creator exist outside of the universe? The scientists, engineers and IT people are the gods of the simulated universe.

Because all the measurements and observations lead to predictable actions.
We say, “if we could go back to the origins, it would probably behave like this,” and then a better telescope is invented, and a series of pictures are taken of an object that we know would look more like the early universe than anything we’ve seen, and, by golly, those predictions work! Or we say, as a thing gets more mass and more dense, it will look more like the early universe and we predict, if our theories are right, that it will bevave like this.. Then we find one. And the hypothesis correctly predicted what it would do.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't deny we live in a naturalistic world and we should expect to find naturalistic answers. I'm happy for some unknown reason the universe is knowable and explicable in mathematical terms. Our scientists didn't create the great formula's they extracted them from the universe. We are the students the universe is the teacher.

Every time the hypothesis correctly predicts ever more extreme conditions, we get better at saying, so what else could we look for that would behave one way if this were true, and a different way if it were not true? Let’s look for one of those. And we find one.

Did the mindless forces that caused the universe exist care if humans arrived? Did it care if there were planets and stars? Did it care if we can accurately predict the motions of the planets, stars? Did mindless forces want the universe to be knowable? Having steady laws of physics went along way. Can you think of any reason there are laws of physics and why so many of them are necessary for our existence?

Hmm... So, "how does god do anything"...

I sit at a computer, as a god of a universe I created. It's not a very robust universe; it is not generated by crazy complex shit made of mutable arrangements of stuff... But it is a universe.

I have two windows that pop up. One window I interact with by feeding control information to an avatar that accepts this input, and whose function is governed according otherwise to a set of rules.

In the other window, I have a terminal open. Typing commands to this terminal will cause things to happen in the universe. I might type to genocide vampires, or bogeymen. Then, the system scums through all the loci of the database for every locus that is understood to be of a certain type and then simply marks each one of them as "dead". Then in the next frame, the system processes everything flagged as dead to be turned into a corpse, and the behavioral loop sees the flag and instead of allowing behavior of it, passes by it's ability to so "behave".

In many ways I am destroying the old universe and replacing it with the one nearly identical and in this way I did not "do" anything other than changing which universe I am existing in.

I fancy to think that the universe we are in is a little resistant to that, owing on account of the individuals in it being capable of observing the geometry of their universe from the inside.

Maybe not though? At any rate, I expect that if there is a god, they accomplish things through knowing how to change bits of it to find themselves in a universe they like more.

How is that [multiverse theory] naturalism of the gaps?

Its a theory that in part attempts to explain how so many conditions that allowed for planets, stars and a myriad of conditions could occur minus plan or intent. One way is an infinite amount of universes with varying properties. Yet they freely admit they can't prove there are other universes. At the very least its a theory in the gaps. Don't worry when someone in here uses a naturalism in the gaps argument I'll point it out.

I know what God in the gaps arguments are...they aren't necessary.

How is that [multiverse theory] naturalism of the gaps?

Its a theory that in part attempts to explain how so many conditions that allowed for planets, stars and a myriad of conditions could occur minus plan or intent. One way is an infinite amount of universes with varying properties. Yet they freely admit they can't prove there are other universes. At the very least its a theory in the gaps. Don't worry when someone in here uses a naturalism in the gaps argument I'll point it out.
Nope. An 'of the gaps' theory is based on gaps in the OTHER SIDE'S knowledge. Not our own.
Gaps in our knowledge lead to hypotheses, which can be examined, explored, tested, maybe leading to theories, discoveries, applications.
Hypotheses that work within the known science suggest possible fills, entirely the opposite of theist "God of the Gaps" assertions. It cannit work by switching the polarity. Because the theists can just invoke 'goddidit' and 'it's a mystery' and are done.

So, no, your attempt to claim equal problems fails due to your lack of understanding.

I know what God in the gaps arguments are...they aren't necessary.
I agree thery are not necessary. But seriously, you have done almost nothing but throw those around in this thread.
So, you step on uoir own dick yet again.

You keep wanting atheists to be "in the same boat" with you regarding not knowing why existence exists so that just any belief goes.

No not any belief goes. Only one of two beliefs is true, we owe our existence to forces that unintentionally caused a universe to exist with properties that would allow life to exist. Or the universe was intentionally created and caused to exist with the properties for life to exist.

Its seems to me if either one is true the other is false.

Not knowing cannot justify a belief. It can only justify a withholding of belief.

I'm withholding belief in naturalism.

Because the theists can just invoke 'goddidit' and 'it's a mystery' and are done.

Atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and are done. That's there go to explanation of how we found ourselves in a universe that didn't intend our existence...or even the existence of the universe itself for that matter. Our existence according to naturalists is an extremely fortuitous act of serendipity.

Because the theists can just invoke 'goddidit' and 'it's a mystery' and are done.

Atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and are done.
Show a textbook where this is true.

That's there go to explanation of how we found ourselves in a universe that didn't intend our existence...
No, it isn't. It is a likely hypothesis in the absence of any evidence for the supernstural, but still not THE EXPLANATION.
Just an observation thst so far, no one seriously investigating any phenomena has had to admit the supernatural is required to explain it. Or transcendent beings, if you prefer.

or even the existence of the universe itself for that matter.
No, usually the explanation is 'We don't know, but one theory is...' Nothing like Naturedidit-and-done.

Our existence according to naturalists is an extremely fortuitous act of serendipity.
And this is a problem for you, clearly.
You'd hate to have to think the universe did not want you, does not care about you, and will not miss you when you are gone.
Meh.

And you still have done nothing to find a "naturalism of the gaps" theory for discussion.

Atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and are done. That's there go to explanation of how we found ourselves in a universe that didn't intend our existence...or even the existence of the universe itself for that matter. Our existence according to naturalists is an extremely fortuitous act of serendipity.
Only according to you and people like you. To me the universe and every particle in it is a brute fact of nature, not an accident. Why do you think the universe is an accident? Because it fits your need to have a magic creator. Only magic creator believers need accidental universes.

How is your alleged magic creator not an accident of nature, an act of serendipity as you say. It must be or you have a double standard, one for universes and one for magic creators. The difference is that your magic creator is just an extraordinary, dismissable claim while the universe is real.

What is the actual mechanism by which God can affect the natural world? How did he create the universe? Does he just think stuff and then it happens? How can he read the minds of seven billion people at once? I’ve never heard a good answer to the question. “Because he’s god“ doesn’t count.

I don't have any idea. Do you know how non-God or mindless forces caused the universe to exist?
I'm told that 'naturedidit' is the go-to explanation for duch questions.
Could you point yo which posters used this "go-to" in response to the question you asked?

Can you explain why such forces would cause life to exist?
Could you point yo which posters used "Naturedidit" in response to the question?
Does your lack of knowledge how such came about deter you from believing it came about accidentally?
Could you point yo which posters used "Naturedidit" in response to the question?
If you respond that's just how nature did it your response is just as vacuous.
Could you point yo which posters actually did dip from the well you poisoned?

Again, nope.

Those of us on the evolution side may refer to evolution as an agency as metaphor or anthropomorphism. A mnner of speaking to say evolution did or accomplished something. The limitations of language.

We do not believe in any active agency, spirit, god, or whatever. Naturalism and agency are mutually exclusive. An endless chain of causation going back in time with no need for a god, spirt. or intelligence.

Equating religion with science giving credence to religion is an old theist tactic. Attempting to make religious beliefs and myths on a par with science, like evolution.

As to facts being someones best guess, again nope. There is a lengthy thread on philosophy on objective vs subjective evidence.

A fact is irrefutable to all observers. The Earth goes round the Sun. 2 pounds plus 2 pounds weighs 4 pounds.

Theists insist subjective feelings and perceptions are fact, such as existence of a god. Even today some theists kill each other over relgious 'facts'.

Again, nope.

Those of us on the evolution side may refer to evolution as an agency as metaphor or anthropomorphism. A mnner of speaking to say evolution did or accomplished something. The limitations of language.

We do not believe in any active agency, spirit, god, or whatever. Naturalism and agency are mutually exclusive. An endless chain of causation going back in time with no need for a god, spirt. or intelligence.

Equating religion with science giving credence to religion is an old theist tactic. Attempting to make religious beliefs and myths on a par with science, like evolution.

As to facts being someones best guess, again nope. There is a lengthy thread on philosophy on objective vs subjective evidence.

A fact is irrefutable to all observers. The Earth goes round the Sun. 2 pounds plus 2 pounds weighs 4 pounds.

Theists insist subjective feelings and perceptions are fact, such as existence of a god. Even today some theists kill each other over relgious 'facts'.

Again yes!

That's not what I wrote and this is dishonest. If you want to engage in civil dialog don't misquote me. Is your logic and intellect so weak you have to resort to such tactics?

I call this issue a draw.
How? What points did you score?
It's like an algebraic equation. If both sides of the argument have the same weaknesses we can cross them out of the equation. I don't know how a Creator would cause the universe you don't know how unintended forces unintentionally caused the universe that supports life.

To simplify we can cross that off either theory. I might add the OP was really just a gotcha question.
But both sides do NOT have the same weaknesses. At all.

There is a lot of math that help understand +1 second, which can allow estimation of the existence of what happened before.

Then you say things like,
They infer the existence of a singularity
As if inference is not supported by evidence that makes it plausible.
That is how human knowledge and development work. As I described in detail above, inferences lead us to figuring out what experiment to test. A lot of people have done a lot of work on this.

The non-god explanation has a LOT of supporting data behind its inference.
The god explanation does not infer, it simply fabricates. You have no data or analog to explain “this is what we see that supports this idea.”

and then you say things like this:
that operates outside of the laws of physics that hadn't yet come into existence.
Which is a complete bastardization of the actual science, which never says the laws had not come into existence, it says, they do not apply at those conditions. They are still there.

It’s like you saying that whenever we look at atomic forces, gravity stops existing. No, it doesn’t. It just fails to have any effect at atomic levels. It’s still there. It’s still a force that is true.

I don’t know if you read these words and take anything away from them, learning a little more about science as you ride your “one god” horse around the plains, or if you will talk tomorrow as if the words had never been said today. Evidence so far in this thread suggests that none of the science that has been explained to you, will ever earn a dwelling place in your beliefs; because that space is occupied by a straw man that you feel you have vanquished and keep in a box there.

For others reading - Drew’s assertions have been met with data. And he appears to be singing Lalalala with his fingers in his ears, only to then say, “your evidence is just as weak as mine.” Don’t buy what he’s selling - it is willful ignorance.

Drew - this is not a draw. The arguments are not equally weak.

Your arguments are “because it’s god” and that somehow you know about it, and somehow you know what it did, and somehow you know there is one and not many… because… you observe things that you won’t talk about.

While science says: this is how the universe around us behaves. This is how it behaves when it looks more like what we are proposing as an early point. This is how the late behavior and mid behavior and the early behavior compare. This is what it would look like if we extend that line. All of the observatons agree on that direction. We have some gaps that we continue to study And test against what we know of stars, dense stars, very dense stars, dense objects that are not stars, small black holes, large black holes and very large black holes. This gives us a really solid backdrop for our hypotheses.

And then we look back at you saying, “I can’t know what that one god did because what do I know, but I’ll tell you I know it’s one god!”

Nothing else we do on this planet or in this life would survive such a careless approach. Indeed, we would not long survive if we used that approach in any other endeavor.
Nothing to respond here you're simply attributing arguments to me and knocking them down. Have fun.

Now, you may say that our universe is the only one. In which case you make it clear that the answers are already given in this thread on what mechanisms could be responsible for it, right? The singularity was the source. If you want to go back further, you’ll need something more in depth than earthsky.org. Other source do exist, plenty of them. And we’ve been putting those thoughts right here for you.

I would wonder. What other sources,; as the imaginative theoretical ideas that the are, at the highest of acedemia, could ever possibly tell you what's further back before the singularity?

Great question. Glad you asked.

In science, especially in theoretical science, but absolutely in practical science as well, it is very common for the investigator to ask, “what could cause that,” or “what could possibly cause that?”

I do this all the time at work. I recently held a hypothesis-refuting workshop where we were struggling with a production defect. We gathered our subject matter experts and we said, “okay, we have this problem. We need to know the fundamental mechanisms so we can establish the root cause.”

• So we go around the room and we determine what facts we have on the table. What do we know already. What is the defect, when does it happen, what does it happen to, how much does it happen, is it getting worse over time?
  • Then we ask, “what could possibly cause that?” And we brainstorm a list. Brainstorming means, get as many ideas as possible. Don’t judge, don’t solve, just ideate. It can be far-fetched, that’s okay, we’ll interrogate later.

Yes I do understand, and would you include in the many ideas, which may seem far fetched ideas, brainstorming genuine investigative interests, without religion, without being judged,; the notion that there's the possibilty that there was an intentional 'physical' universe begininning?

• Then we say, okay, of all these ideas, what is the mechanism for how each would work?
  • Then we ask, is that mechanism possible here? For example, if the defect is occuring at a rate of every half second, and the proposed mechanism can only influence at a rate of once per minute, it’s taken off the possible list and marked as unlikely. Or if the mechanism, say a magnetic field, is unable to operate on the process, say ceramic polishing, then it gets moved to “refuted.” Sometimes an experiment is needed to refute, sometimes fundamental principles can do it on the back of an envelope.
  • When we’re left with only a few remaining plausible mechanisms, we can do some more experiments. Now, bear in mind, we can’t ”prove” anything at all, we can only prove what it is not. But we’ve narrowed it down to things that could affect the outcome and can demonstrate the effect on the outcome by turning it on and off (ability to predict).
  • In the end, we never have a “proof,” but we have a probable cause and a solution. And usually, we can turn off the defect.

I understand there are processes to go through, and you have conclusions and results from tried and tested experimental methods.

But I do not see the same conclusions are possible yet, if at all, in regards to what came before the singularity. So I'd therefore ask the question: What material matter, or method was tried and tested, giving the same solid conclusions, i.e., the same "estabished route cause," to the singularity?" Otherwise this seems to me, to be a tad misleading.

And that is how physicists could tell you what is possible beyond a singularity. They never promised to prove it to you, but they did propose things that could work, and do not have any reason to not work.

The claim you seem to be making here, is merely an acceptable idea, among other theoretical ideas, but.... that is NOT in the same way, or manner, an "established route cause explanarion", resulting from a similar method described in your engineer processes & investigations of tangible matter.

That’s what you were asked to do in this discussion. Propose some ideas on how your god could interact. Any scientist or engineer would pull out a green pad and start thinking, crossing off things that aren’t possible, seeing what’s left. A religionist has no curiosity beyond, “because he’s god,” and no concern that the implication has elements that are not possible.

Well you (plural) will have to allow the theists some space, perhaps with some little patience, for that discussion, ... AND put aside the need to be bringing up religion, willy nilly, while someone wants to be serious. We either talk about religion or talk about the OP topic, which you were interested to hear the theists (non-religious) input.

As our old friend Lion use to point out in similar scenario's: Make up your minds!

Last edited:
That's not what I wrote and this is dishonest. If you want to engage in civil dialog don't misquote me. Is your logic and intellect so weak you have to resort to such tactics?
I really thought you said, atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and thry're done AND that you said it's thedir go to argument.

Where did i lose your meaning?

It can not be objectively proven or disproven. Which is why religion is called faith not science. I question the faith of believers who seem to have a need to prove god to us atheists not for our benefit but for themselves to shore up faith.

What we can do is take apart what is offered as proof of god, like claiming god exists becasue god is refernced in the bible. Or YEC.

For me there is no question of creation, the universe has always existed and always will, which I can support based on science although that too is not proven.

The questions of ultimate origins are not provable scientifically, religiously, or philosophically. Which is why religion thrives, no way to disprove it.

If you want to believe a god winked it into existence and that improves the emotional quality of your life, good for you. Same for Hindus, Zoroastrians, Native Americans, Sikhs , Jews, Muslims and all the rest. I would however draw the line at sacrificial virgins to appease a volcano god. Jesus sacrificial lamb as metaphor is fine.

At this point after all te time on he forum it is hard to take any of this seriously.

Let me restate...I'm a theist.

Definition of theism

: belief in the existence of a god or gods specifically : belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world

Theism is the belief the universe and our existence was intentionally caused by a transcendent personal source. There is no church of theism, promises of salvation or religious sacraments. Its a counter belief to naturalism.

Under this definition if the universe was caused by scientists in another universe or plane of existence then theism is true.

For me there is no question of creation, the universe has always existed and always will, which I can support based on science although that too is not proven.
That's just your alternate belief. Logic and reason however challenges it. If the universe always existed did time always exist?
It seems to me (please correct me if I am wrong) that your belief in a creator for the universe is entirely founded on a belief that the universe wouldn't contain life (much less intelligent life), if it hadn't been built from the start with that as an objective.

That your problem with the absence of a creator for the universe is, in essence, a problem with the absence of an explaination for intelligent life that is able to consider such problems.

Is that correct?

Again, nope.

Again yes!
Yes to what?

Given the OP, what is the evidence if any for your belief in a creator?

Back
Top Bottom