• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How does God do anything?

Atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and are done. That's there go to explanation of how we found ourselves in a universe that didn't intend our existence...or even the existence of the universe itself for that matter. Our existence according to naturalists is an extremely fortuitous act of serendipity.\\

This is becoming the usual Christian debate.

Yet again atheist is a broad term without much specific meaning other than rejecting a god.

The universe is. Philosophy and religion fabricate answers to questions created by our imagination.

Can your creator create something from nothing? Did the creator always exist? Enquiring minds want to know.

Without any evidence other than subjective feeling and perceptions, naturalism says things are what they are, asking why has no meaning. There is no why or prime causation.

If you object to an infinite universe with no beginning or end, why accept an eternal creator? Or did the creator wink into existence from nothing?

Great. What do you know (and how do you know it) and what do you observe on the topic of “how does god interact with the universe.”

Take you for example.
HOW do you know that your god exists? By what mechanism did this enter your head?

I don't claim to know God exists. I do believe the universe was intentionally caused by transcendent agents. Its a belief claim not a knowledge claim. Do you know or believe natural mindless forces unintentionally caused the universe and our existence?
So your are claiming to have a belief in a god but have no knowledge of same. Interesting. Not sure what that's worth.
Nope got to answer my question first...

No he doesn’t; you asked me that question and I answered you.
He’s talking about your first sentence, the one that comes before your question.

Strange behavior to put some stipulation on him.

Because the theists can just invoke 'goddidit' and 'it's a mystery' and are done.

Atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and are done. That's there go to explanation of how we found ourselves in a universe that didn't intend our existence...or even the existence of the universe itself for that matter. Our existence according to naturalists is an extremely fortuitous act of serendipity.

Oh so now you’re claiming to know WHY the creator acts? The Creator that you are far too small to even contemplate understanding how it works, but now you have insight into its motives?

That is fascinating.
How do you know that?

Last edited:
we were struggling with a production defect. We gathered our subject matter experts and we said, “okay, we have this problem. We need to know the fundamental mechanisms so we can establish the root cause.”
  • So we go around the room and we determine what facts we have on the table. What do we know already. What is the defect, when does it happen, what does it happen to, how much does it happen, is it getting worse over time?
  • Then we ask, “what could possibly cause that?” And we brainstorm a list. Brainstorming means, get as many ideas as possible. Don’t judge, don’t solve, just ideate. It can be far-fetched, that’s okay, we’ll interrogate later.

Yes I do understand, and would you include in the many ideas, which may seem far fetched ideas, brainstorming genuine investigative interests, without religion, without being judged,; the notion that there's the possibilty that there was an intentional 'physical' universe begininning?
The brainstorming allows all ideas. And you don’t get to cross them off until later, because sometimes associative creativity can spark a good idea off of an idiotic one. So we write them all down.

Interestingly, in 30 years of engineering, do you know that not once has one of my Christian colleagues suggested that “goddidit” is the reason for the defect? We’ve had some pretty far out ideas, but divine intervention was a step too far for every person in all that time. Notwithstanding I have had to endure some pretty ridiculous prayer stoppages from time to time. Someone wanting us all to hold hands and pray before starting up the new equipment.

But yeah all ideas suggested are written down unless the team starts t get goofy and then we conclude we have gotten all of the ideas And we move to the next step.

I understand there are processes to go through, and you have conclusions and results from tried and tested experimental methods.

But I do not see the same conclusions are possible yet, if at all, in regards to what came before the singularity.
Why not? They are examining what happens when matter gets very very dense. And hypothesizing what could make it so dense. And have we ever seen extreme densification elsewhere. And what happened then. And testing, do we see that heppening elsewhere?

If you want to examine an extreme, you can absolutely gain clues from things that are near-extreme, or approaching extreme, or treding in the direction of extreme. It’ll tell you a lot.

If trending toward mega-dense creates observations that are the opposite of what you claimed mega dense would behave like, then you are barking up the wrong tree, and you have evidence to say so.

So I'd therefore ask the question: What material matter, or method was tried and tested, giving the same solid conclusions, i.e., the same "estabished route cause," to the singularity?" Otherwise this seems to me, to be a tad misleading.

I’ve already explained this, but I will explain it again.

You gather data that establishes a trend. You look at stars. They are pretty dense, and pretty hot. Then you look at neutron stars, which are still denser. Then you look at black holes that are denser still. Then you look at massive black holes. And you see, what led to their formation, how do they behave. Is there a trend as objects get denser and more massive? How do they influence the universe around them.

We have observatons for all of these and we can use that trend to build a projection - an extrapolation - and predict what would happen if it were denser still, and more massive still. And by golly, the prediction is accurate when we find the next more massive black hole.
And that is how physicists could tell you what is possible beyond a singularity. They never promised to prove it to you, but they did propose things that could work, and do not have any reason to not work.

The claim you seem to be making here, is merely an acceptable idea, among other theoretical ideas, but.... that is NOT in the same way, or manner, an "established route cause explanarion", resulting from a similar method described in your engineer processes & investigations of tangible matter.
I explained that the root cause never promises to PROVE. It cannot. It only establishes a good reason to keep moving in that direction. A good reason to feel that the probability of a solution is at hand. An economic justification that we are probably not making a mistake.

That’s what overwhelming evidence and consilience of disparate fundamentals provides: reliability, not proof.

That’s what you were asked to do in this discussion. Propose some ideas on how your god could interact. Any scientist or engineer would pull out a green pad and start thinking, crossing off things that aren’t possible, seeing what’s left. A religionist has no curiosity beyond, “because he’s god,” and no concern that the implication has elements that are not possible.

Now it’s your turn. Does any religionist anywhere have any hypotheses on HOW the god influences actions in the universe? And if they don’t, do they have any authority to make any statement whatsoever about the nature, actions or morals of their god?
I would say yes to the terms of nature. Basically trying to determine any external agency influence from the sciences, such as physics, astro physics and cosmology theoreticals - is going to be a little more of a difficult enterprise at the moment, especially, if one was to erroneously think this can only been explained by physics or cosmology. You'd get quite a bit more for a God or a gods hypothesis, in other areas and various fields, in biology, chemistry, geology, archeology, geography, psychology, history but not forgetting, complemented with physics of course.

It's a combination of things! Easy to scrutinize under microscope tangible things in your hands. without the need for focusing on, or diverting away from those other areas mentioned ( biology, chemistry...etc.. ) making more difficult a problem to answer those related questions - when given limited notions, like guessing what the state of matter may be like, before the singularity etc.. or there being a need for an experiment of such effort, matching the size of a hadron collider experiment.

Take you for example.
HOW do you know that your god exists? By what mechanism did this enter your head?
These are natural spinoffs of the question in the OP that asks you to make some guesses about how, exactly, your god manages to influence the world, because it includes how he, for example, told Abraham to murder his own son. How did that happen?

How did God communicated to Abraham, do you mean? If thats what you're asking, it was an angel that called out to him from the heavens. The influence here is audible sound.

Exact method how the sound was projected or heard, I couldn't say, but not an impossible feat in nature. Setting up microphones, at the right place at the right time to record the evidence of influence (requiring special powers) would be an impossible feat...

We do know one plausible explanation, and that is that Abraham had a delusion. There is no evidence that rules that out, and, so far, no hypothesis to compete with it.

Someone could make the hypothesis that this was not a delusion(which we can debate further on) since Abraham was not the only one who had that experience, although the discriptions of such, doesn't imply delusion, you could say the ALL had delusions.

So far, in all the world, there is no evidence anywhere of atoms or molecules or neurons being influenced by any thing at all anywhere that does not include known chemistry and physics. So if your god has some mechanism other than the relentless blind and undirected actions of physics, let’s have a conversation about that.
So far, we know atoms and molecules have predictable properties that you can be confident to repeat the experiment process, getting required results, create graphs by known formulas, . So did you mean in context, that God would be in the machine i.e. in His creation, constantly pulling levers and pulleys etc.? Or as I see it, in context that the creation is set on running on mechanical auto.

Last edited:
No not any belief goes. Only one of two beliefs is true, we owe our existence to forces that unintentionally caused a universe to exist with properties that would allow life to exist. Or the universe was intentionally created and caused to exist with the properties for life to exist.

Its seems to me if either one is true the other is false.
You're fooling yourself by drawing an arbitrary line through reality, picking labels for the regions on the two sides of the line, and then drawing inferences from the labels you attach to the parts. It's the fallacy of mistaking the map for the territory. So let's reexamine your two competing hypotheses, this time using consistent labeling.

Atheism: Reality has properties that allow life to exist, and those properties weren't intentionally caused, and it contains intelligent life, and it contains a subset of reality that was intentionally caused to exist, by one or more intelligent life forms in the part of reality outside the subset.

Theism: Reality has properties that allow life to exist, and those properties weren't intentionally caused, and it contains intelligent life, and it contains a subset of reality that was intentionally caused to exist, by one or more intelligent life forms in the part of reality outside the subset.

Those are the same theory. If one of them is true then the other is true. The difference is that in atheism, you choose to label a fragment of reality containing all the intelligent life forms "a universe", while in theism you choose to exclude one or more of the intelligent life forms from the fragment you label "the universe", reserving that label for only a subset that one of your excluded life forms intelligently created. You're drawing an imaginary border through the contents of reality, and you're proposing that the truth of a theory of reality can depend on whether you drew that imaginary border on this side or on that side of one of reality's components.

Drew2008 said:
Do you know or believe natural mindless forces unintentionally caused the universe and our existence?

You are asking if the universe, to the best of my reckoning, is a mindless, unintentional phenomenon. The answer is obviously yes. The answer is so obvious that I didn't even respond. But certainly, based on all human observation that's an affirmative. It's your claim that it "began to exist" that is in question and is not supported by observation.

When did you begin to exist?

When did your intender being begin to exist?

Using your response to those questions I'll refine my above answer. But keep the following in mind as you answer those questions - which I hope you will.

There is no part of the universe that ever vanishes. Parts change and are rearranged but it is always there to the smallest elementary bit. It doesn't ever go away. If a single graviton vanished we would have to account for it. Every experiment ever undertaken has accounted for all the matter and energy involved. The evidence is so overwhelming that it is undeniable. That's why I responded that the universe is a brute fact.

When people ask "Where did the universe come from?" I typically respond, "Where else is there?" The universe is everywhere all the time. That's a brute fact. In other words, "somethingness" is the the default setting, not "nothingness." When people ask "Where did the universe come from?" they are using the word "nothing" in common parlance, "There's nothing in my hand" or "There's nothing in the room." But neither the hand nor the room are void. Space, energy, electrons, etc. are always present. The vacuum of space is not a vacuum. It seethes with energy and virtual particles, a cauldron of quantum activity. It is no more empty than is a room or a hand. It is still filled with the somethingness that is the universe. Understand? Humans have never experienced nothingness, they have only ever equated nothingness with a quantity of zero. And the quantity of universe is never zero.

So I await your response to the above two questions.

It's your claim that it "began to exist" that is in question and is not supported by observation.
Yes. The "began to exist" or "came to exist" notion is a problem. And the question I've seen around, about "why is there Something rather than Nothing?" has assigned the default to the impossible 'state'. Like you described :) It's an excellent post.

---

I want to go into where the "come from" notion comes from...

Drew has done what Bomb#20 has explained. He split reality into two, and declared there's one part uncreated and the other part created. IMV none of it is "created". It's all one "thing" called existence (or "the universe") and there's no good reason to imagine that existence had to have come into existence.

Even the cell phones that humans make are features of the universe reshaped by a feature of the universe. So none of it "begins to exist" or "comes to exist".

The whole of creationist belief is a mistake caused by 1) projection/anthropomorphizing and 2) taking the metaphors in language much too seriously.

Projection is where the human mind is used as the example of what the universe does to "make" "things". We will our arm to move and it moves. So that seems like a spirit telling matter what to do. Thus the creationist confusion about the OP's question "how does that happen?" - they feel that they see mind telling matter what to do all the time in their heads. And they don't go into the details of it, they just simply know that it SEEMS to happen. So why can't a Mind just say "do this" and it's done? A mind's will has potency to make things happen.

The metaphors make us talk about "things" as if anything is an isolated, essential unit separable from all the rest of existence. There's the potter's metaphor, where our language treats "things" or "stuff" like it's clay to be formed. So metaphors embedded within our language lead people to think "things" can't exist except by being made or "coming to exist". And the universe is thought about as a "thing" like the various things within the universe. How can a mere "thing", even one so big as a universe, exist without having been *made*?

The answer to the OP's question about "how" is Will. Or intention. Minds intend or will things to occur, so they occur. Theists don't look into the details of that, what's important to them is that they were MADE, because that means there's a reason for the creationist's life and for the suffering in it.

Last edited:
I never before heard the expression "nature did it." I suppose that's meant as a clever retort to "god did it." I always liked Sagan's use of "cosmos" as being everything. Even intender beings would be included in the cosmos. He would go on to state that humans say that they live on the planet earth, when in fact they are a part of the planet earth. It's like saying that my hand lives on my arm or a leaf lives on a branch.

The problem isn't labels, aka language, it's when a person isn't curious about where the labels originate or what the word means. The label does not impart meaning, it is what the label is on that gives meaning to the label. Many people don't get that because it never occurs to them to look under the label. In the case of a label like "god" or "intender being" the brute fact is there isn't anything there at all except the label and a heap of human projection.

No not any belief goes. Only one of two beliefs is true, we owe our existence to forces that unintentionally caused a universe to exist with properties that would allow life to exist. Or the universe was intentionally created and caused to exist with the properties for life to exist.
There are other possibilities.
Some theistic origin stories show that the universe existed before the gods found it, and added life to it.
Others tell that the universe, and life, existed, the gods wandered past, and shaped life to their preferences. Or did nothing to the life they found but interact with it.
Some origin stories have man created intentionally as an act of gods, others have man coming to be by accident, through divine negligence. Not sure if this would be good news for you or not, if it turned out that transcendent beings DID make man, but by accident, wihtout intent or meaning.

There are other possibilities.
Some theistic origin stories show that the universe existed before the gods found it, and added life to it.
Others tell that the universe, and life, existed, the gods wandered past, and shaped life to their preferences. Or did nothing to the life they found but interact with it.
Some origin stories have man created intentionally as an act of gods, others have man coming to be by accident, through divine negligence. Not sure if this would be good news for you or not, if it turned out that transcendent beings DID make man, but by accident, wihtout intent or meaning.

Lots-o-stories. People like stories. True stories, made up stories, stories that don’t fall into either category…
When it comes to stories about entities with superpowers, they’re all on equal footing as far as truth value is concerned.
Religious adherents are often upset by that fact, but it remains a fact. Regardless of what, if anything, we “owe our existence” to, the chances of paying back what we “owe” are zero, no matter how pious we are or how much we try to personify the debt holder in order to offer our supplications.

The easiest answer to the OP is that the person making the god claims is just projecting themselves. They are their god. That's why they can tell you things about this mysterious unknowable creatures, seems like these creatures are remarkably like the people claiming they're real. :) The good thing is that these alleged creatures seem to keep morphing. They keep changing, updating, getting revised, just like humans. Not so strange, is it? They seem to get more or less intelligent depending on who you talk to.

When it comes to stories about entities with superpowers, they’re all on equal footing as far as truth value is concerned.
Wasn't even going there, as far as 'truthiness' yea or nay.
Just the possibilities arise. And that's just on the theist side.

It's entirely possible that nature just abhors a universe without the ability to examine itself, and if we die in an extinction event, another life form, somewhere, will come thru the developmental stages of 'what do we eat?' and 'Why do we eat?' and 'Where shall we eat?' And we exist as we do because the intelligent slime of Betelgeuse IV dried up.
Because it's inevitable. Not directed, just a quality of reality.

Of course, the only way to establish this would be to experimentally kill ourselves off then watch to see if anything happens....

Wasn't even going there, as far as 'truthiness' yea or nay.
Just the possibilities arise. And that's just on the theist side.

It's entirely possible that nature just abhors a universe without the ability to examine itself, and if we die in an extinction event, another life form, somewhere, will come thru the developmental stages of 'what do we eat?' and 'Why do we eat?' and 'Where shall we eat?' And we exist as we do because the intelligent slime of Betelgeuse IV dried up.
Because it's inevitable. Not directed, just a quality of reality.

Of course, the only way to establish this would be to experimentally kill ourselves off then watch to see if anything happens....
A++

Theists never consider sentience as an emergent property of matter and energy ...

Because the theists can just invoke 'goddidit' and 'it's a mystery' and are done.

Atheists and naturalists invoke 'Naturedidit' and are done.
Show a textbook where this is true.

That's there go to explanation of how we found ourselves in a universe that didn't intend our existence...
No, it isn't. It is a likely hypothesis in the absence of any evidence for the supernstural, but still not THE EXPLANATION.
Just an observation thst so far, no one seriously investigating any phenomena has had to admit the supernatural is required to explain it. Or transcendent beings, if you prefer.

or even the existence of the universe itself for that matter.
No, usually the explanation is 'We don't know, but one theory is...' Nothing like Naturedidit-and-done.

Our existence according to naturalists is an extremely fortuitous act of serendipity.
And this is a problem for you, clearly.
You'd hate to have to think the universe did not want you, does not care about you, and will not miss you when you are gone.
Meh.

And you still have done nothing to find a "naturalism of the gaps" theory for discussion.

The belief that unknown but natural forces caused the natural universe to exist is naturalism in the gaps.

Adding to that, William Craig Lane has used the term 'science of the gaps' and I have heard someone use the term 'materialism of the gaps..'
Choices choices. :)

What is the actual mechanism by which God can affect the natural world? How did he create the universe? Does he just think stuff and then it happens? How can he read the minds of seven billion people at once? I’ve never heard a good answer to the question. “Because he’s god“ doesn’t count.
If I was defending the idea of God, then I'd answer: "Because he's God." But since I'm honest and sensible, I'd say there's no way that an "immaterial being" can affect a material world. So even if this timeless, spaceless being were to exist, then it couldn't create the world or do anything else with it. That would include reading minds.

I'd say there's no way that an "immaterial being" can affect a material world.

Not because that's an established fact...this is merely a belief statement true? If immaterial or transcendent forces didn't cause the universe what did? The material forces we are familiar with is what came into existence not what caused there existence. Unless you believe the universe came into existence un-caused out of nothing but that would only be another belief statement.

We know the visible/local universe came to exist in its present form about 13.7 billion years ago. We don't know what existed before that, if anything. So we are unable to say anything meaningful with any degree of certainty about the origins of the universe as we see it today.

You are asking the wrong questions. There is no "why" in fundamental physics, only how. Why implies teleology, and nothing we have observed about the natural world suggests that a teleological explanation is needed to describe the origins of the universe. Science describes interactions between matter/energy following certain patterns that we call the laws of nature - that is, they are our descriptions of how reality behaves. We do not yet have a scientific understanding of the earliest moments of the universe, but we have some hypotheses that bear further investigation. One such hypothesis posits an inflationary scalar field that causes extremely rapid expansion of spacetime, which scientists believe our universe was subjected to about 13.7 bya. When the value of the scalar field drops below a certain point, a bubble of spacetime stops inflating, and we end up with a universe. This is a prediction of a theory that seems to fit the data well, but we don't have a means to test it fully yet. There are potential explanations as well, none of which requires a "cause".

Incidentally, asking why the universe began to exist also leads to some logical problems. If the universe came to exist ex nihilo, then there could not have existed a time before then, because time is a presentation within our local universe. In effect, there could have been no time in which a cause could have acted.

Last edited:

I don't have any idea. Do you know how non-God or mindless forces caused the universe to exist? Can you explain why such forces would cause life to exist? Does your lack of knowledge how such came about deter you from believing it came about accidentally? If you respond that's just how nature did it your response is just as vacuous.
What are these non-god, mindless forces you are talking about? What are god forces?
The answer God is a possible explanation to the question why a universe that allowed life came to exist.

Just not a very good one. Universe creating pixies, and the Supreme Cosmic Toad Bantu are other potential explanations. Just like the god claim they are not supported by any evidence. Do you hold Universe Creating Pixies and Bantu as plausible mechanisms for creating a universe like ours? I bet you don't.

God is not an explanation until (1) you can demonstrate that God exists, and (2) explain how this God created this universe. Which you cannot do.

Atheists typically claim it wasn't God because God doesn't exist (classic circular reasoning)

I don't believe that a god exists because I have not seen any evidence that would convince me it exists. Atheism is a reaction to theistic claims, and is merely a rebuttal, or statement of lack of belief about god claims. You are arguing a strawman.

or more often than not they attribute it to naturalistic causes that unintentionally caused the universe, the laws of physics, stars, space and time and life to exist. The OP post asked by what mechanism did God cause the universe to exist as if not knowing that invalidates the claim.
Its a reasonable question. How did God create this universe?

There are many things scientists and engineers accomplish and cause to exist and I have no idea how they do it.
Your personal lack of knowledge doesn't mean that nobody can know how humans create various tools and objects. If you did some research, you could probably gain that knowledge. What research can I do to verify that God exists, and that it created the universe?

That doesn't invalidate my belief they created such things intelligently. I suspect no one here has any idea how natural forces caused natural forces to come into existence or why they would cause laws of physics humans depend on.
Humans are an accident. The vast majority of the universe is inhospitable to life. Indeed, the majority of the volume of our planet is inhospitable to life. The universe began from a state of very small entropy, and natural processes working to increase this entropy sometimes produces interesting results. Like stars and black holes, like rain and earthquakes, and like amoeba and humans. We exist because the conditions on our planet allow us to exist, not because the universe was designed for our existence.

Adding to that, William Craig Lane has used the term 'science of the gaps' and I have heard someone use the term 'materialism of the gaps..'
Choices choices. :)
It's "causes of the gaps" all the way down, don't you agree? Or maybe it's "woo of the gaps." Yep, I'm going with "woo of the gaps."

So you are saying that god forces are not natural things? What exactly are things that are not natural? I'm not aware of any.

When we find out that the universe is expanding and accelerating and we conclude there is something causing this behavior that we have not discovered yet and cannot explain, like the ancients couldn't explain earthquakes or vulcanism, you are saying we should conclude what, that there is something "not natural" involved? Like what? Are these your immaterial, transcendent god forces? What exactly are they?

It sounds like you are saying that if we do not know something then there are immaterial, transcendent god forces involved that are not natural, but you aren't saying what they are.

If you are unable to tell me what these "forces" are, would I be correct to conclude that your position is to equate human ignorance with immaterial, transcendent, non-natural god forces?

The natural vs not natural distinction is bogus. Anything that happens no matter how bizarre or unexpected if its observed, and it happens is natural. If it turns out we owe our existence to a transcendent being that would be natural too. What would be unnatural about it? If it turns out we owe our existence to a scientist from another universe what would be unnatural about that? We have no say so in what is or isn't natural.
I agree, What observations do you know of that support the existence of Gods that can create and interact with a universe like ours?

When we find out that the universe is expanding and accelerating and we conclude there is something causing this behavior that we have not discovered yet and cannot explain, like the ancients couldn't explain earthquakes or vulcanism, you are saying we should conclude what, that there is something "not natural" involved? Like what? Are these your immaterial, transcendent god forces? What exactly are they?

I don't care for the word immaterial because it implies its less than this material world we exist in. If this universe was caused and designed to exist it was by a more real source than this material world which is artificial. Transcendent is the best word. Like for instance the scientists, engineers and IT people who created a simulated universe are transcendent to it.
Ok, lets call it transcendent. What evidence do you have that this transcendent entity is a god, and not an inflationary scalar field?

I originally wrote...

I don't have any idea [how God did anything]. Do you know how non-God or mindless forces caused the universe to exist? Can you explain why such forces would cause life to exist? Does your lack of knowledge how such came about deter you from believing it came about accidentally? If you respond that's just how nature did it your response is just as vacuous.

The point being if we look at theism vs atheism as an equation we look for equal things on either side of that equation. We can then cross them out. This post was started as a challenge

What is the actual mechanism by which God can affect the natural world? How did he create the universe?

I'm pointing out those who don't believe we owe existence to God or a Creator or a bunch of scientists from a long gone universe have no better alternative explanation. By what actual means did naturalistic forces (that didn't exist yet) create the universe? If your lack of an answer doesn't count against your belief a Creator doesn't exist why should my lack of an answer matter? Its not expected I should know how God caused a universe to exist anymore than Neanderthals would know how to create a nuclear bomb.
You are arguing from ignorance. If we don't know how the universe came to exist in its present form, then we could not say anything meaningful about it. We don't currently know, therefore Goddidit is a logical fallacy. Unless you can demonstrate that God exists and explain how it creates universes. Back to square one again.

Back
Top Bottom