• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ became code for insulting Joe Biden

It is relevant because ... as I explained before ... those that censor "Fuck Biden" are happy to not censor "Fuck Trump." You are on the same side as the censors, you don't see any issue because it doesn't personally affect you.
Could you be more precise about this?

I don't remember any major media broadcasting "Fuck Trump". Perhaps your idea of "those" is different from mine?
Tom

This is paranoid nonsense.

Nobody's censoring 'Fuck Biden' and not also censoring 'Fuck Trump'.

There are platforms that censor 'Fuck <name>', because they (or their governing bodies) deem the word 'fuck' to be unacceptable; And there are those that don't.

The suggestion that 'Fuck' was accepted language on certain specific media only when, and because, the target was Trump is batshit crazy, certainly with regard to any medium with a significant audience.

I mean, there are likely radical newsletters and websites with audiences that rarely break three figures whose editors are sufficiently biased as to do this, but it's not something that's happening in any serious or even wannabe serious publications.

That's all nice, but not really relevant. I do call Trump, FFVC. But I would never think to do that on a public call with the kid friendly Santa tracker. Nor do I pretend it isn't a profane insult. Nor do pretend that I worship a moralistic Jesus. Nor do I pretend that there is some sort of mainstream fakery going on...

It is relevant because ... as I explained before ... those that censor "Fuck Biden" are happy to not censor "Fuck Trump." You are on the same side as the censors, you don't see any issue because it doesn't personally affect you.

Two new studies show, again, that Facebook doesn’t censor conservatives

“Right-leaning pages consistently earn more interactions than left-leaning or ideologically nonaligned pages.” Conservatives have long complained that their views are censored on Facebook. Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah said in Congressional hearings this week that fact-checking — like the labels that Facebook and Twitter attach to false posts — count as censorship: “When I use the word ‘censor’ here, I’m meaning blocked content, fact-check, or labeled content, or demonetized websites of conservative, Republican, or pro-life individuals or groups or companies.” (Censorship is the suppression of speech or other information on the grounds that it’s considered offensive or questionable. The studies below make it very clear that these stories are not being suppressed.)
The idea that right-leaning content is actually censored — that people are prevented from seeing it — is “short on facts and long on feelings,” as Casey Newton has written. This week, a couple stories and studies focused showed again that conservative content outperforms liberal content on Facebook. (See also: Progressive publication Mother Jones’ recent claims, with that its traffic was throttled as Facebook tweaked its algorithm to benefit conservative sites like The Daily Wire instead.)
While wording of the article is poorly written, FB censors liberal content more than conservative.

That's all nice, but not really relevant. I do call Trump, FFVC. But I would never think to do that on a public call with the kid friendly Santa tracker. Nor do I pretend it isn't a profane insult. Nor do pretend that I worship a moralistic Jesus. Nor do I pretend that there is some sort of mainstream fakery going on...

Uh, no. I don't own Facebook, so I'm not party to their private corporate choice to censor profanity or their choice to weed out what they see as obvious lies.

Ah, so being on the same side means you are the same person.

Uh, no. I don't own Facebook, so I'm not party to their private corporate choice to censor profanity or their choice to weed out what they see as obvious lies.

Hardly. But it does imply that you are playing the game, and not just spectating.

You'll have to explain yourself here (or just stick to babble), I'm not even going to bother trying to tease out your intent. For the most part, I'd say bilby has made a good point on your ramblings twice now. And so far you have failed to produce a solid example of claimed major media liberal bias where 'fuck Trump' was acceptable, but 'fuck Biden' was censored...

As far as why this euphemism is popular with the right wing, I'd say it is partly popular so these people can spout their political vulgarity with a wink and a node, in places that they wouldn't be comfortable saying 'fuck Biden' otherwise. Examples that come to mind are this Schmeck guy at a kids event, and Rep. Jeff Duncan wearing a face mask with LGB on it. Some how I don't think this Baptist would be as well received with FJB on his face in the Capital building. But with a wink and a nod, evidently Baptists can now dance around being profane while everyone pretends he isn't. And they can't seem to keep their politics out of sports...go figure...such whinny snowflakes.

While wording of the article is poorly written, FB censors liberal content more than conservative.

Showing that once again, reasonable people who value truth and facts, including people on the progressive AND conservative sides, are doing extra work to show how the whiney snowflake accusations of bias are completely untrue. And the people who want to whine about how put-upon they are will reject the facts and whine some more, demonstrating that posting bullshit takes 1/1000 of the effort of fighting bullshit.

Honestly, though, I really genuinely feel very sorry for the people who live in a world (of their own making) that requires them to strain and stress about all the booby traps that they themselves erected and now are terrified of encountering.

I wish they could have some peace and contentment. But they drove that out of their lives. I pity them. That must really be an uncomfortable life; always pushing a rock up a hill, only to have one of your own friends shove it back down on you right after you shoved theirs down on them. And sometimes you shove your own rock down because stopping shoving is just too unnerving.

This is paranoid nonsense.

Nobody's censoring 'Fuck Biden' and not also censoring 'Fuck Trump'.
Actually, I can see an easy way "Fuck Biden" got censored and "Fuck Trump" didn't--if people weren't saying "Fuck Trump" in the first place!

Actually, I can see an easy way "Fuck Biden" got censored and "Fuck Trump" didn't--if people weren't saying "Fuck Trump" in the first place!

Yes. The Right-Whingers are now so divorced from any truth they complain that their Congressmen have to wear "Let's Go Brandon" apparel to avoid censorship! Did any Democratic Congressman ever sport a "Fuck Trump" T-shirt?

It's the Right-Whingers who interrupt Obama's address with "You lie!" or call AOC "a fucking bitch" and then complain about incivility.

The Right-Whingers become a self-caricature in December, bitterly spitting out "Merry Christmas" as if it's an epithet to make a main-stream reporter cringe, and glowering whenever a "libtard" gets in a "Merry Christmas" greeting first.

In another thread, declining crime in the 1990's is related to changes affecting children in the 1970's. Did red states have peculiar toilet training methods when the present cohort of Trump-sucking Congress-whingers were toddling?

You'll have to explain yourself here (or just stick to babble), I'm not even going to bother trying to tease out your intent.[/b]

Isn't it convenient when your answer is in the post you are quoting.

"You are on the same side as them."
"No, I don't own Facebook."

That response about owning Facebook is a good example of babble.

Someone must be keeping that boy in a carefully controlled news bubble. Scary.
Or a maturity bubble where high achieving individuals do not waste their time on such garbage.
Sure. The dementia "president" is absolutely in a "maturity bubble".
Ron or Rand Paul are not President.

Never said they were. Reading comprehension much?

You'll have to explain yourself here (or just stick to babble), I'm not even going to bother trying to tease out your intent.[/b]

Someone must be keeping that boy in a carefully controlled news bubble. Scary.
Or a maturity bubble where high achieving individuals do not waste their time on such garbage.
Sure. The dementia "president" is absolutely in a "maturity bubble".
Ron or Rand Paul are not President.

Never said they were. Reading comprehension much?.
Biden does not have dementia. And you would never refer to Trump as having dementia. So I took a couple of guesses about whom you were babbling.

The answer isn't in the post I am quoted because you chopped my earlier response in post 100, which makes your point, pointless. I see you have chosen your games over any discussion/debate. You are obviously free to do , but I'm not really interested in your games...TTFN

Showing that once again, reasonable people who value truth and facts, including people on the progressive AND conservative sides, are doing extra work to show how the whiney snowflake accusations of bias are completely untrue. And the people who want to whine about how put-upon they are will reject the facts and whine some more, demonstrating that posting bullshit takes 1/1000 of the effort of fighting bullshit.
But this is one of my big complaints of the left: always insisting on facts and evidence. It's almost like you'all are implying that the world operates on logic, science, and truth. It's nauseating. Go Trump!

Anyone else see the irony of a self-expressed libertarian who wants to regulate a private company?

Honestly, though, I really genuinely feel very sorry for the people who live in a world (of their own making) that requires them to strain and stress about all the booby traps that they themselves erected and now are terrified of encountering.

What a weird outlook. I hardly give such things any thoughts. But on the odd occasion when I do, I laugh like a drain at at the weeping and gnashing of teeth of the loons that get triggered by a simple phrase.

Let’s Go Brandon!!

So much angst from three words. Baffling.

What a weird outlook. I hardly give such things any thoughts. But on the odd occasion when I do, I laugh like a drain at at the weeping and gnashing of teeth of the loons that get triggered by a simple phrase.

Let’s Go Brandon!!

So much angst from three words. Baffling.
You massively overestimate how much anyone cares.

What you mistake for angst is people's genuine confusion over your bizarre inability to express yourself.

Nobody much cares; But when someone is acting like a clown, they are going to attract slightly pitying laughter.

And when they respond to being laughed at by enthusing about how they've 'triggered' the onlookers, they just get laughed at more.

You're not 'owning the libs'; You're just skating the line between funny and pathetic, and it's like watching a slow motion car crash - it's awful, but difficult to look away.

If you would just say "fuck Joe Biden", you might actually get some respect, and even some agreement. But "Let's go Brandon" is the epitome of cowardly self-censorship, and responding to people's bemusement at this as though it were anger at the subtext is fucking hilarious, and pitifully sad, in equal measure.

Nobody's triggered. We just feel sorry for, but simultaneously amused by, you wallowing in your own shit and apparently unaware that you are embarrassing yourselves.

If you would just say "fuck Joe Biden", you might actually get some respect, and even some agreement. But "Let's go Brandon" is the epitome of cowardly self-censorship, and responding to people's bemusement at this as though it were anger at the subtext is fucking hilarious, and pitifully sad, in equal measure.
Pretty much. As it is, I view the "Let's Go Brandon", crowd to be as weak and pathetic as those hipster fuckwits who thought they were being edgy wearing FCUK shirts. If you're unwilling to grow a spine expect some fucking ridicule.

Yup, this.

Back
Top Bottom