• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

^
I'm a little disappointed in you barbos.
None of that goes to the points I've made.
Ukraine still does not pose any threat to Russia, and that was never the real reason for Russia's show of aggression.
Who said it did?
It poses threat to Eastern Ukraine and if Ukraine attacks Eastern Ukraine Russia would have to protect it.

if Ukraine attacks Eastern Ukraine

Lol.
Ok. So if Russia attacks Ukraine, then Poland and Romania would need to defend it?
Or do THEY need to invade Ukraine first, like Russia did to eastern Ukraine?
It's a straw argument anyhow.... the problem is not some other country trying to get its territory back from Russia, it's Russia going on another expansionist binge.

Well, the good news is that the whole Ukraine thing will help provide a nice distraction from that plateauing peak of dead people caused by Covid-19 in Russia.

Covid-19 is about to surpass pabulum as the third leading cause of death in Russia.

We have the single most overbuilt military in the world, though. If we really wanted Russia, we would already have it.

This doesn't pass the laugh test.

Does the term "ICBM" mean anything to you? How about "SLBM"?
I am not impressed. If we really wanted their dumb country, they literally would not last a week.

Of course they wouldn't. We wouldn't survive, either. Humanity might not survive.

Lol.
Ok. So if Russia attacks Ukraine, then Poland and Romania would need to defend it?
It's a straw argument anyhow.... the problem is not some other country trying to get its territory back from Russia, it's Russia going on another expansionist binge.
Wrong

Well, the good news is that the whole Ukraine thing will help provide a nice distraction from that plateauing peak of dead people caused by Covid-19 in Russia.

Covid-19 is about to surpass pabulum as the third leading cause of death in Russia.
It's hard to distract from something which nobody paid attention to in the first place.
what is pabulum?

Lol.
Wrong
… because only Russia gets to attack its neighbors with impunity.
Typical.

Some nazis are mad with Biden refusing to start WW3.

Some one official from Nonameia. And from this the authors surmise. Not even qualified as opinion, this is more of a conjecture piece. Beyond that, not exactly flattering towards Mother Russia.
Oh well, can’t park 120,000 troops on the border indefinitely. The bills start to pile up.

Some one official from Nonameia. And from this the authors surmise. Not even qualified as opinion, this is more of a conjecture piece. Beyond that, not exactly flattering towards Mother Russia.
My bet it's Poland. They are not exactly moral standard to give their moral opinion.

Oh well, can’t park 120,000 troops on the border indefinitely. The bills start to pile up.
Mission accomplished, they can go home pretty soon.
There are even leaks that Biden is pushing Trumpo-Ukraine to throw a bone to Eastern Ukraine. US really does not want to deal with another conflict.
As for NATO, then there is no progress, US still plans on invading Ukraine.

US still plans on invading Ukraine.

When is the US going to invade Ukraine, Barbos?
Before, or after Russia does?

It’s amazing how your handlers are able to convince you of completely imaginary threats. They must be talented, like Trump! :hysterical:

I still think that it is unlikely that Putin will invade, given the serious economic consequences and international condemnation he faces. He is just rattling rockets to see what kind of concession he can get from the West. Nord Stream 2 is a big part of this, because it has recently been put on hold out of fear that Russia would use it as a political weapon against the EU in the future. It's probably just a temporary halt right now, but an invasion of Ukraine would probably put it on permanent hold. So I think that Putin thinks he can maybe leverage his military threat into getting the West to stop blocking the opening up of Nord Stream. Well, that's my speculation, anyway. An invasion of Ukraine would clearly unleash a blood bath and lead to no good result for Russia.

OTOH, who knows what Putin's state of mind is? He is also a fascist Russian nativist who wants to rebuild the former Russian/Soviet empire. He has relentlessly treated Ukraine as if it did not have a right to exist outside of Russia. Belarus has been relegated to a puppet state under Lukashenko, now that his grip on power depends entirely on Kremlin backing. The only thing that keeps Putin from reoccupying the Baltic states to reclaim more Baltic sea ports for Russia is that those countries are now in NATO. It is no wonder that Ukraine, like other Eastern European states, wants to join NATO and the EU for protection against Russian expansionism under the Putin regime.

Putin murders and silences those who dissent. He's Joseph Stalin only born too late to get away with all the purging he desires to undertake. He's really just a symptom of the fact that Russia has never experienced the kind of freedom that comes with democracy. I think freedom in Russia today equates with not being hauled away to the gulag in the middle of the night.

Putin murders and silences those who dissent. He's Joseph Stalin only born too late to get away with all the purging he desires to undertake. He's really just a symptom of the fact that Russia has never experienced the kind of freedom that comes with democracy. I think freedom in Russia today equates with not being hauled away to the gulag in the middle of the night.

That’s very consistent with what I have seen from Barbos, as well as with what I have heard from a couple of Russian ex-pats. The Russian population has been so long acclimated to oppression that the “freedom” to merely survive the act of criticizing the Putin regime - even if you’re imprisoned for it - is celebrated as a great liberal advancement.

US still plans on invading Ukraine.

When is the US going to invade Ukraine, Barbos?
Before, or after Russia does?
US is already there. Has been since 1991 actually.
It’s amazing how your handlers are able to convince you of completely imaginary threats. They must be talented, like Trump! :hysterical:
Tell that to Montenegro

Who is planning on an uninvited border crossing? Putin, not Biden.
USSR was invited by Cuba, so shove it.
Nobody invited US to Ukraine, you invited yourself.

That’s very consistent with what I have seen from Barbos, as well as with what I have heard from a couple of Russian ex-pats. The Russian population has been so long acclimated to oppression that the “freedom” to merely survive the act of criticizing the Putin regime - even if you’re imprisoned for it - is celebrated as a great liberal advancement.
It's economy stupid!
popularity of Putin is based on the fact that CIA led russian "democrats" (former communists) of 1990s utterly failed economically, whereas Putin authoritarianism did pretty well since 2000s.
As for democracy, after Jan 6 and even 2016 you really need to look at yourself more instead of teaching other countries.

Last edited:

It's economy stupid!
popularity of Putin is based on the fact that CIA led russian democrats of 1990s utterly failed economically, whereas Putin authoritarianism did pretty well since 2000s.
From 2000 to 2013 (the peak) Russian per capita GDP rose from around $1,700 per head to around $14,300 per head. It is now around $9,300 per head. So Putin's rule as done poorly since 2013.

There is no actual Ukraine threat to Russia. This is just another example in a long line of delusional episodes by a paranoid 2nd world country who wants to be taken seriously as a first world civilized country.

Although it is hard to believe that Putin will engage in a hare-brained invasion of Ukraine, the threat has to be taken seriously. Nobody wants or expects a confrontation between Russia and NATO forces on Ukrainian territory, and Zelensky has acknowledged that fact. The risk of nuclear war is simply unthinkable, and Putin can count on that deterrence to invade and conquer its weaker neighbor. However, Biden and EU governments have made it crystal clear that Russia will suffer huge economic consequences, if he goes ahead with his threat. The Russian economy is not all that resilient right now, and there could be an economic collapse if Russia can no longer convert rubles into hard currencies. And most of the oligarchs, including Putin and his top cronies, have parked a lot of their wealth in Western countries in order to make it less dependent on the vagaries of the Russian economy. So it is hard for me to see that Putin is doing anything other than bluffing here with a very weak hand. We'll see what happens in the coming days, but I expect him to back off like he has done in the past, when his threats proved ineffective.

See Russia faces consequences if Ukraine invaded - Truss (Truss is the UK foreign secretary)

Ms Truss said the UK and EU were trying to ensure Western economies were less dependent on Russian energy.

The foreign secretary said the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline between Germany and Russia would be "a problem" if Russia invaded Ukraine.

It would be an issue to discuss with her new German counterpart at the G7 talks.

Ms Truss said: "We absolutely need to reduce dependence on Russian gas and energy. And this should be part of an overall strategy of reducing dependence on non market economies, reducing dependence on malign actors, and making sure that the free world is able to have that strategic independence it needs to survive and thrive."

US President Joe Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday held a virtual summit aimed at reducing tensions in the region. Mr Biden said he had made it clear to Mr Putin that there would be "economic consequences like none he's ever seen" if he invaded Ukraine.

Back
Top Bottom