• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Russia alleges that Ukraine has shelled Golovicho village in Belgorod region on Russian side of the border.

There are also pictures of destroyed civilian houses. To me it seems there's nothing there worthy to destroy though. The main supply lines are elsewhere. Could this be a false flag to justify martial law and mobilization in Russia?
Naw, just making Russia look more like a "victim". Russia / Putin is under a time crunch. They must occupy eastern Ukraine as fast as they can, and then call for peace. They only have so much money and supply to work with.

so we are training Ukrainians on using our military equipment already. Granted, howitzers aren't particularly complicated to learn. And the trainees already know how to use artillery. M1A1’s may be more difficult, but someone trained with T72’s could learn it fairly quick. Although providing them with other NATO Soviet bloc weapons may make more sense.

the UK is also supplying a variety of armored vehicles and the training to go with it.

If the war lasts much longer, further supplies and training will be necessary. I wonder if Putin’s new strategy will be to simply hold on to what he has taken and not engage in offensive operations. He will use artillery to shell Ukrainian positions, but not actually engage in much advancing towards other objectives. Then the war reverts somewhat to how it was before the invasion, just with him in control of more territory, and maybe more activity along the front. That could de-escalate the situation further, and allow him to minimize further losses and sort of claim victory. He liberated Donbas!

But I think it would be clear to many that he failed and the operation was a waste. And while everyone will say he won’t be overthrown, the failure can’t be papered over for too long. At some point he is gone. Maybe ten years from now. But in the meantime, he’s setting the stage for a massive catastrophe for Russia, and eventually he loses. I just wish it would happen soon. And it might.

But the siloviki are ruthless in protecting their own interests, and there is one way, at least, that they might lose faith: if Russia’s economic troubles reach the point that its regional governors begin to break ranks with Putin and the economic order that has sustained Putin’s security state for more than 20 years begins to collapse, then the siloviki may well conclude that the Kremlin is losing control of the country and that their own future is threatened. In that case, they could step aside and let it happen—or even provide a hand.
[/QUOTE]

so the key is a combination of military defeat and economic collapse. The sanctions should be much tougher, and ultimately they should lose their oil exports. Somehow The Russian economy must be broken. That’s tough for the ordinary Russian, but necessary for the long run.

so we are training Ukrainians on using our military equipment already. Granted, howitzers aren't particularly complicated to learn. And the trainees already know how to use artillery. M1A1’s may be more difficult, but someone trained with T72’s could learn it fairly quick. Although providing them with other NATO Soviet bloc weapons may make more sense.

the UK is also supplying a variety of armored vehicles and the training to go with it.

If the war lasts much longer, further supplies and training will be necessary. I wonder if Putin’s new strategy will be to simply hold on to what he has taken and not engage in offensive operations.
Naw, he needs a lot more than the area they control at the moment... to justify all of the hardship and sacrifices the rich have had to endure.

Reactions: SLD
61 year old Malcolm Nance has joined the International Foreign Legion and is now fighting for Ukraine.

I read an article recently where someone in their mid sixties volunteered for service in the Ukraine military, thinking he'd basically be carrying the water bucket. To his surprise they issued him a full kit. He was elated.

Ukraine does have a bleak future indeed, but they can hold on and fight these fuckers to a standstill. According to your website, they’ve repelled four attacks today.

The key is supplies, and those may be running low. The US is supplying 40,000 artillery shells. Sheeesh! That’s enough for a few days at most! Not nearly enough. The west must ensure at least 10,000 shells a day. We also need to supply them with tanks, high altitude air defense, and even more MiGs.
The problem is that they would need training to use western equipment. And there's a limited amount of old Soviet and Russian stock available. Even the Slovakian (or some other country's) MiGs are unusable, because they've been fitted with NATO avionics.

But shells... those should be standard enough. They need a steady supply.
I don't think there is a steep learning curve on many of these systems. Especially if they are designed for US Army enlisted personnel to operate. This is a trend I watched over my 23 years in the navy; shorter training time, robust systems, minimal maintenance, ease of operation.
Since you say Navy--could you walk aboard a warship, find a target and hit it with a Harpoon? (Assume you have all required access but you're alone.) If you can, how long did it take you to learn all the systems that are involved?

If the war lasts much longer, further supplies and training will be necessary. I wonder if Putin’s new strategy will be to simply hold on to what he has taken and not engage in offensive operations. He will use artillery to shell Ukrainian positions, but not actually engage in much advancing towards other objectives. Then the war reverts somewhat to how it was before the invasion, just with him in control of more territory, and maybe more activity along the front. That could de-escalate the situation further, and allow him to minimize further losses and sort of claim victory. He liberated Donbas!
I was wondering about the same thing. Both Ukraine and Russia teased with a beginning of a major battle in Donbas... and then nothing happened? Except shelling and missiles all over the place. I think Russians are afraid to try really large maneuvers because they failed so spectacularly in the beginning, the troops morale is in the gutter, and their equipment needs fixing. So they're playing it safe and relying on artillery.

Before the war, I thought what you described would have been the most logical thing for Russia to do. Take the low hanging fruit between Crimea and Donbas, threaten with bigger war and force Ukraine into a ceasefire, then repeat after a couple of years with new demands. But instead, they went all in and tried to get not only land bridge to Crimea, but also capture Kyiv and maybe Odessa and Kharkiv. Now after the embarrassing defeat they're trying to scale back to more modest goals, but it doesn't work that way because Ukraine has had a taste of blood, and international community is giving unprecedented support to keep the war going. Putin will try to spin it so that Russia has gained some measure of "victory" by May 9th, and in real terms they have, but it will be very difficult to de-escalate and put the genie back in the bottle and force Ukraine into a ceasefire.

"Hey buddy, sorry about shelling all your cities for two months. Let's call it a draw?"

Somehow I don't think that's going to fly.

But I think it would be clear to many that he failed and the operation was a waste. And while everyone will say he won’t be overthrown, the failure can’t be papered over for too long. At some point he is gone. Maybe ten years from now. But in the meantime, he’s setting the stage for a massive catastrophe for Russia, and eventually he loses. I just wish it would happen soon. And it might.
We'll see.

Cannon became the general term for large ordnance. A gun was a cannon designed to fire in a flat trajectory, a howitzer was a shorter piece designed to throw exploding shells in an arcing trajectory, and a mortar was a very short piece for firing at elevations of more than 45°.

Cannon became the general term for large ordnance. A gun was a cannon designed to fire in a flat trajectory, a howitzer was a shorter piece designed to throw exploding shells in an arcing trajectory, and a mortar was a very short piece for firing at elevations of more than 45°.
Leaked US training plan for Ukrainian troops:

Day 1: What the hell is a "Howitzer"?

Day 2: How to pronounce "Howitzer".

Day 3: Recap of day 2.

Day 4: How to use it.

Leaked US training plan for Ukrainian troops:

Day 1: What the hell is a "Howitzer"?

Day 2: How to pronounce "Howitzer".

Day 3: Recap of day 2.

Day 4: How to use it.
Whom is having trouble with the word "Howitzer". I suspect it would be the US troops rather than the Ukrainians.

Let's not forget that the U.S. inventory once included an 8 inch "gun." The 8 inch "gun" fired tactical nukes. Is that beast still around? Your standard destroyer only carried 5 inch guns so an 8 inch piece of artillery was a beast.

155 howitzers are a piece of cake. The Ukrainians will take about 60 seconds to master the instrument.

Let's not forget that the U.S. inventory once included an 8 inch "gun." The 8 inch "gun" fired tactical nukes. Is that beast still around? Your standard destroyer only carried 5 inch guns so an 8 inch piece of artillery was a beast.

155 howitzers are a piece of cake. The Ukrainians will take about 60 seconds to master the instrument.
155mm is considerably larger than five inches. Indeed, it is more than six inches.

Since they will be using them in a battle situation they need to be pretty good at breaking down the guns quickly. That will take considerably more than 60 seconds of practice. While I'm sure the Russian counterbattery fire will be as inept as everything else we have seen in this war that doesn't mean you can just sit there and expect to survive.

Reactions: SLD

155mm is considerably larger than five inches. Indeed, it is more than six inches.
155 mm... 6 in.... *American brain imploding*

Had they just used metric to describe penis sizes, American men would have adopted metric immediately! /ot

Uh oh! China is threatening to bomb Ukraine after they thanked Taiwan for its support:

Just kidding that China threatened to bomb them. But honestly, very sick of big powerful countries bullying the shit out of smaller countries. The world needs to continue to arm the shit out of countries under attack and use sanctions to bankrupt those that bully.

The horror that was WWII apparently is far enough in the collective memory of the globe, that we are steering ourselves into another global catastrophe.
Agreed. There is one country fighting to stop WW3, and that's Ukraine. If Russia imperialism stops in Ukraine, war probably won't spread to the rest of Europe. But that's why we should do everything we can to help Ukraine. And to be frank, we aren't doing enough. They are running out of supplies. They need the ability to strike at Russian artillery that are just leveling Ukraine. If Ukraine is wiped out it will because of the inability of the west to sufficiently send them aid.

Back
Top Bottom