• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How unions devastate the airline industry

Yeah, that's one of the consequences. The guys at the bottom are flying too much, sleeping too little.
And the scheduling is done by a union? So, what's the 1.5 mil CEO deciding - the colour of cocktail napkins? Not that that's unimportant....

The union is the one divvying up the workload so the juniors are living like this.

UNIONS make the flight schedules? My ex (a pilot) says not.

Yeah, that's one of the consequences. The guys at the bottom are flying too much, sleeping too little.
And the scheduling is done by a union? So, what's the 1.5 mil CEO deciding - the colour of cocktail napkins? Not that that's unimportant....

The union is the one divvying up the workload so the juniors are living like this.

They don't make the schedules themselves. They decide the workloads, though.

No they don't

No they don't

Read the link.

No they don't

Read the link.

I did. He is full of shit.

The very senior pilots on the other side of the table say "We need the most senior pilots to get $300,000 in pay and benefits." The airline's response is "The only way that could work is if we pay the new pilots $16,000 per year." The group of senior pilots responds "We can live with that."
This, for starters.

He sounds like a guy who washed out as a pilot, and he is still bitter about it.

I have no argument that new pilots (and flight attendants) on region airlines make barely livable wages. I know because that is why I am not a flight attendant now. I know because I supported my pilot husband through his first few years flying.

But it is absolute nonsense for the OP idiot to claim that new pilots earn so little because senior pilots or unions dictate it.

More bullshit:

After the pay discussion is concluded, the union negotiation will turn to schedule. Keep in mind that pilots are paid by the hour and only for those hours when the airplane is "off the gate". I.e., if there is a three-hour wait in the airport between legs, the pilot is not paid for that time. The senior pilots may say "We need senior pilots to work no more than 10 days per month, about 8 hours per day, with all of the flying neatly compressed so that there is almost no waiting time." The airline representatives say "The only way that can work is if the junior pilots work 22 days per month and nearly 16 hours per day." The senior pilots negotiating for the union respond "We can live with that."

From the point of view of safety, common sense would argue against pairing up a company's least experienced pilots with the company's least experienced captains and then driving them both to exhaustion.
Is he suggesting that Captains are not pilots? Is he suggesting that FO's do all of the flying? Or does he just not understand the terminology of the industry he presumes to pontificate about? No wonder he got furloughed and never called back.

And since you think this guy's word is gospel, I'd like for you to support this claim of current salary in the US:
others earn close to $300,000
He makes it sound like this is such a common occurrence that these $300,000 a year earning pilots are controlling the unions, airlines, and work schedules of more junior pilots. Prove it.

Last edited:
According to both the pay schedules and article I referred to earlier, $300,000 is very uncommon, earned only by a few top pilots at a few major airlines. Now I see the guy includes "benefits" and we don't know what those are or how they're $ valued. He's probably also comparing guaranteed annual salaries to hourly wages, which really are not comparable.
Obviously, the negotiating process can't work the way he says, since a majority of union members are unlikely to be top senior pilots. Also, if all the pilots are paid hourly, the top guys would need to fly more hours than the juniors, not less, to reach those lovely numbers (which, btw, wouldn't sound all that high for a comfortable, safe high-level executive gig.).
And why cannot any airline pay all its pilots decently? That's not down to the union; surely it's a matter of individual company budget allocation.

If a union has negotiating power, none of its members would ever have to spend unpaid hours at work, or receive no vacation and sick pay - which, apparently is common in airlines.

Last edited:
The implication is that if airlines could bid down the wages and benefits of senior pilots, they'd give the difference to junior pilots they can get for peanuts.

This silly argument, in one form or another, is as old as unions.

But why is it even a problem that somebody with 25 years experience in a high-stress job that keeps him far from home much of the time, can be quite dangerous (especially given some of the cost-paring on airplane maintenance) should - in the rare, very best case - get $300,000, in pay and benefits, before tax? Why call that "a mint"?
For a banker, that would be petty cash.
Why not make the legitimate complaint that pilots are generally screwed over by their employers?

But why is it even a problem that somebody with 25 years experience in a high-stress job that keeps him far from home much of the time, can be quite dangerous (especially given some of the cost-paring on airplane maintenance) should - in the rare, very best case - get $300,000, in pay and benefits, before tax? Why call that "a mint"?
For a banker, that would be petty cash.
Why not make the legitimate complaint that pilots are generally screwed over by their employers?

Because this is Loren's thread and he hates unions...possibly all workers. In the case of the airlines, their unions have been emasculated by many years of concessions to an airline industry that cries "poor" all the time then outsources as much of their operation as possible to third world countries with cheap labor.

You are right; pilots are getting screwed and so are their passengers, the environment, and even people who never fly.

Once again, negotiating industry wide wages for a category of worker is the only way to eliminate wages as a competitive factor in pricing and in profits. If everyone in the industry has to pay the same wages that eliminates the pressure for any one company to push wages down in their company to gain an advantage over other companies. They have to compete in other areas to earn business.

It also reduces friction between the management and the workers in a company if wages are negotiated industry wide.

It is not just wages, it is working conditions. Employers are reluctant to, for example, reduce the work week or to increase vacation time because of competitive pressures. If the changes are industry wide this problem is eliminated. Reducing the work week is an obvious solution for under employment and for the displacement from automation.

In other words, a company must do what the union wants if it's to remain in business. That's a recipe for disaster.

I don't think that you are understanding what I am saying. I am not saying that the unions should run the companies, which is what you are trying to make it.

I am saying that wages are too important to be subject to competitive pressures. That all of the companies should be paying the same wages for the same work. That the wage rates and the working conditions should be negotiated industry wide, not each company negotiating with its own employees.

There is nothing in that that gives the unions more control over what the company does. The management still runs the company. They just will have to compete based on something other than whatever wage breaks that they could make.

In the recent recession Northwestern negotiated a 1 billion dollar wage concession from their pilots. Less than a year later they gave their executives bonuses totaling 1 billion dollars.

Once again, wages are the way that capitalism distributes resources to the nation. The labor market is not a fair market. Without unions or some other mechanism like what I am suggesting companies are able to suppress wages over the long term to increase profits. What we end up with is exactly what we have right now, too little labor share, too much capital share. Too little demand, too much money in the financial markets, money that causes repeated asset bubbles, money far in excess of what can be invested in the real economy of producing the things that people need. A healthy economy requires a balance in all things.

I believe there should be a reasonable safety net--but I believe it should come from the government. Trying to make business do it is dirty accounting and that's always a bad thing.

What on earth is dirty accounting? I don't see where accounting has anything to do with this discussion.

I don't like the rise in executive salaries but neither is it the bogeyman you think it is. The number of people getting the big figures are tiny.

In that case, the impact of constraining their huge salaries will likewise be tiny; so there is no reason to oppose such constraints.

Your conclusion does not follow.

The impact of cutting their salaries isn't in money, it's in the market failing to allocate the best managers most efficiently. The costs could be far in excess of the money involved.

According to the fantasy of the free market in order to allocate most efficiently, everyone's salary and wages must be based on their marginal productivity. Over the last few decades the only real increase in salaries and wages has been in executive pay. This means that you must believe that the only increases in marginal productivity has occurred at the executive level.

Is this what you are saying?

Back
Top Bottom