• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How Will the US Deal with the Black Muslim Police Officer Who Allegedly Shot and Killed an Unarmed White Woman?

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
How Will the US Deal with the Black Muslim Police Officer Who Allegedly Shot and Killed an Unarmed White Woman?

It's already clear that the US is going to deal with the shooting of Justine Ruszczyk in a very different way than it dealt with, say, the shooting of Michael Brown. Why? Because the person who allegedly shot her is black, Muslim and an immigrant. Those are three serious strikes for Officer Mohamud Noor. As we all well know, the US is accustomed to unarmed black people being shot and killed by white police officers; there is nothing new or special about that. And mainstream news almost never fails to explicitly or implicitly side with the white officers in these deadly and racially-charged shootings.

This incident, however, changes everything.
http://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...egedly-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-white-woman

Article continues with a couple of examples...

Here's an additional article on the subject:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-braces-for-backlash/?utm_term=.2cbd126af0d4

[also...just as an aside, I am not sure how the author is using the word "black." Race is a social construct and some people may use the label this way to refer to Somalis. I am using their article title but it doesn't mean I agree or disagree.]

The Schumer/Pelosi thread was started about this case, but it has meandered since the beginning, so I guess another thread is ok.

It's already clear that the US is going to deal with the shooting of Justine Ruszczyk in a very different way than it dealt with, say, the shooting of Michael Brown. Why?
No, but because the facts of the two cases could not be more different.
Michael Brown robbed a convenience store and attacked a police officer.
Justine Ruszczyk called police to report an assault and as far as we know did nothing to justify her shooting.
That is the difference between the two cases.

Because the person who allegedly shot her is black, Muslim and an immigrant.
Wrong. But typical for a left-wing rag like The Stranger to focus on race and religion rather than on what actually happened.

Those are three serious strikes for Officer Mohamud Noor. As we all well know, the US is accustomed to unarmed black people being shot and killed by white police officers; there is nothing new or special about that. And mainstream news almost never fails to explicitly or implicitly side with the white officers in these deadly and racially-charged shootings.
Again, it depends on the case and what actually happened.
Mo is not generally supported because from all we know about the case, he shot Ruszczyk without any justification.

A much better article than the Stranger diatribe.

[also...just as an aside, I am not sure how the author is using the word "black."
He is probably using "black" to mean black. As in of sub-saharan African origin and having a dark complexion.

Race is a social construct and some people may use the label this way to refer to Somalis. I am using their article title but it doesn't mean I agree or disagree.]
What possible definition of black would not apply to Somalis?

This case is very strange. There is no dispute over the facts. An unarmed woman standing outside a police car was shot by a police officer. The officer refuses to make a statement. There is no report that the officer's partner (who was between Officer Noor and the woman) has indicated that the woman was acting in a threatening manner.

Living in Minnesota, I know it does make a difference that the officer is a Somali. The Somali community has not been effusively or widely accepted: many people view them with suspicion or outright hostility.

It's already clear that the US is going to deal with the shooting of Justine Ruszczyk in a very different way than it dealt with, say, the shooting of Michael Brown. Why? Because the person who allegedly shot her is black, Muslim and an immigrant. Those are three serious strikes for Officer Mohamud Noor. As we all well know, the US is accustomed to unarmed black people being shot and killed by white police officers; there is nothing new or special about that. And mainstream news almost never fails to explicitly or implicitly side with the white officers in these deadly and racially-charged shootings.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...egedly-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-white-woman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-braces-for-backlash/?utm_term=.2cbd126af0d4

[also...just as an aside, I am not sure how the author is using the word "black." Race is a social construct and some people may use the label this way to refer to Somalis. I am using their article title but it doesn't mean I agree or disagree.]

Honestly, I'm not seeing hot it changed anything. Racists continue to judge by race, critics of police policy continue to judge by that stand.

As an aside, I like how the first article asks how BLM should react - um, they immediately fell on the side of the shooting victim. It reminds me of how some folks thought Hispanic groups would all rush to George Zimmerman's side and cause a split with black groups. When people said this, Hispanic groups had already sided with Trayvon Martin.

They are being handled very differently because there is no indication she did anything wrong. There's no doubt that Michael Brown attacked the cop and virtually all the evidence portraying him as innocent is perjury.

Furthermore, we are getting a major lack of details from the police in this case. I don't think we have anything like the whole story but I think that story is going to turn out to be the cop fucked up badly.

I do think part of the case is going to turn out to be a case of startled cop with his finger on the trigger but I think there's more than that.

Loren & Derec, you don't actually need to focus on one parallel case, like Michael Brown.

Mumbles said:
As an aside, I like how the first article asks how BLM should react - um, they immediately fell on the side of the shooting victim. It reminds me of how some folks thought Hispanic groups would all rush to George Zimmerman's side and cause a split with black groups. When people said this, Hispanic groups had already sided with Trayvon Martin.

Agreed.

Loren & Derec, you don't actually need to focus on one parallel case, like Michael Brown.

Mumbles said:

Agreed.

A much more parallel crime would be the shooting of Philando Castille. Also in the Minneapolis area.

I believe that the victim, Justine Damond, was also an immigrant. Something that seems to get lost. Maybe because her skin is white and she's blonde.

I wonder if the cop is a user of Khat partly to help him stay up at night.

This case is very strange. There is no dispute over the facts. An unarmed woman standing outside a police car was shot by a police officer. The officer refuses to make a statement. There is no report that the officer's partner (who was between Officer Noor and the woman) has indicated that the woman was acting in a threatening manner.

Living in Minnesota, I know it does make a difference that the officer is a Somali. The Somali community has not been effusively or widely accepted: many people view them with suspicion or outright hostility.

What's the statement that the Somali community as you say "has not been effusively or widely accepted" got anything to do with the price of peas.

How the US deals with things is dependent on the race of the victim.

Some victims are worth more than others.

You are allowed to abuse and victimize some more than others.

If this cop shot a white person, he needs to go to jail. That's just not the sort of thing one does.

Honestly, I'm not seeing hot it changed anything. Racists continue to judge by race, critics of police policy continue to judge by that stand..

Exactly.

But the extreme contortions of the racists to explain why this case is "different" is... amusing... to watch

How the US deals with things is dependent on the race of the victim.

Some victims are worth more than others.

You are allowed to abuse and victimize some more than others.

Also: The degree to which you are held accountable is dependent upon a wide variety of factors, including but not limited to race, religion, gender, country of origin, native language.

I try to avoid these threads as I have a lot of family members who are cops. But I think that the vast majority of police shootings that were determined to be faulty are due to incompetent officers who didn't have the proper training. There are incompetent firemen, insurance agents, attorneys, stock brokers, air traffic controllers, and etc. But the police are the ones who we routinely try to find blame other than poor training.

I try to avoid these threads as I have a lot of family members who are cops. But I think that the vast majority of police shootings that were determined to be faulty are due to incompetent officers who didn't have the proper training. There are incompetent firemen, insurance agents, attorneys, stock brokers, air traffic controllers, and etc. But the police are the ones who we routinely try to find blame other than poor training.

I don't find "incompetent" a satisfactory answer when discussing people who are given a gun and trained to see everyone else as the "bad guy"

Exactly.
But the extreme contortions of the racists to explain why this case is "different" is... amusing... to watch

The racists who are contorting themselves are those who desperately claim that this case is similar to the Mike Brown case. However, I do not find them that amusing.

Never startle or surprise a cop. They're nervous, they feel threatened. They're trained to consider the possibility that anyone they interact with could be hostile, and carrying a gun. Their training is increasingly militarized, and I'm sure they're acutely aware of the endless series of violent interactions they see every night on the six O:clock news.

Never startle or surprise a cop. They're nervous, they feel threatened. They're trained to consider the possibility that anyone they interact with could be hostile, and carrying a gun. Their training is increasingly militarized, and I'm sure they're acutely aware of the endless series of violent interactions they see every night on the six O:clock news.

and THAT is exactly what Derec and Loren would be spouting if the ethic backgrounds of the victim and police were reversed in this case.

Since not every police officer who undergoes the same training ends up shooting civilians who are neither armed nor threatening, it would seem rather obvious that it is more than only poor training.

The victim did nothing to surprise or startle the officer who shot her.

Point taken but not a factor in this case.

Back
Top Bottom