• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I am a huge fan of Hilary, but ...

Hillary was a loser from the start. They rigged the game for her to win the nomination. They couldn't rig the general election, so she lost. She also had that smug self-entitled "I'm with her" attitude that proved to be toxic. On top of all that was the pay-to-play politics she embodies, etc. And that is before we even get to the Republican smear campaign against her.

Voters didn't come out for her like she smugly assumed that they would. They showed that the votes of people can't be taken for granted just by pushing an "I'm not him" message. That rarely works for anybody. She wasn't for anything but herself and it proved her undoing.

The nomination wasn't rigged. And Bernie would not have been an easy win over Trump as much of the Bernie-bros believe it would have been.

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044

Hillary was a loser from the start. They rigged the game for her to win the nomination. They couldn't rig the general election, so she lost. She also had that smug self-entitled "I'm with her" attitude that proved to be toxic. On top of all that was the pay-to-play politics she embodies, etc. And that is before we even get to the Republican smear campaign against her.

Voters didn't come out for her like she smugly assumed that they would. They showed that the votes of people can't be taken for granted just by pushing an "I'm not him" message. That rarely works for anybody. She wasn't for anything but herself and it proved her undoing.

The nomination wasn't rigged. And Bernie would not have been an easy win over Trump as much of the Bernie-bros believe it would have been.

Not that I'm one to get bogged down in 'political correctness' but just so we're clear "Bernie Bro" is a politically-invented pejorative with sexist implications (In that it implies sexism on part of the bro), thus I would argue it's a little unfair to use it in regards to people who happen to like Mr. Sanders or agree with his political platform.

Not that I'm one to get bogged down in 'political correctness' but just so we're clear "Bernie Bro" is a politically-invented pejorative with sexist implications (In that it implies sexism on part of the bro), thus I would argue it's a little unfair to use it in regards to people who happen to like Mr. Sanders or agree with his political platform.

And who often have vaginas.

Well, yes, it wasn't meant for anyone who liked Sanders, but it was clear that there were some Sanders supporters on social media who put far more effort into raging at Clinton, and anyone who questioned Sanders, than they would into actually organizing, doing any sort of GOTV efforts, or anything else. Even other Sanders supporters were catching hell from these people when they said anything even slightly critical of their preferred candidate. "Bernie Bro" was the term for that particular subset of voters.

As for the nomination being rigged - no. What happened was that a lot of Sanders supporters had no clue how primaries worked, and they took ordinary things (eg. closed primaries, voters being removed if they didn't participate in several elections, registration deadlines) as a personal attack and a conspiracy - even when the DNC had little or no control over the rules being objected to. Granted, the DNC definitely grew hostile to Sanders when he refused to cool it even long after it became clear that Clinton had won decisively. But that's pretty normal for party politics.

Well, yes, it wasn't meant for anyone who liked Sanders, but it was clear that there were some Sanders supporters on social media who put far more effort into raging at Clinton, and anyone who questioned Sanders, than they would into actually organizing, doing any sort of GOTV efforts, or anything else. Even other Sanders supporters were catching hell from these people when they said anything even slightly critical of their preferred candidate. "Bernie Bro" was the term for that particular subset of voters.

As for the nomination being rigged - no. What happened was that a lot of Sanders supporters had no clue how primaries worked, and they took ordinary things (eg. closed primaries, voters being removed if they didn't participate in several elections, registration deadlines) as a personal attack and a conspiracy - even when the DNC had little or no control over the rules being objected to. Granted, the DNC definitely grew hostile to Sanders when he refused to cool it even long after it became clear that Clinton had won decisively. But that's pretty normal for party politics.

To be fair, Hillary's campaign didn't do her any favors by elevating a figure of immense ire among the malcontents (DWS) I'd also argue that while the DNC's hand in influencing the nomination was largely overblown, a lot of the things that upset people were the little things that in themselves aren't necessarily enough to warrant finger pointing. Limiting the debates, the media bias toward hillary (Which I will grant you isn't necessarily the work of the DNC but doesn't help any) and isolated incidents of voter suppression in regards to limiting polling stations and then closing them down when the time ran out rather than polling the people still in line as would be expected of an actual election. And of course the use of super delegates which I can see lots of idealistic young bernie supporters as balking at on principle.

Taken on their own, none of these things would have amounted to too much but as a whole only served to fan the flames of discontent and lead to a nomination that saw protests and booing of the nominee on the first day of the convention, or as we call it in retrospect: Foreshadowing

Hmmm, I was a Bernie bro. My vote helped give him his first win in Michigan.

But, as some say, you fall in love in the primaries, you fall in line in the election.

Still mad, huh?

Of course. The lifetime of damage they did to the world hasn't even gotten started yet, and they are certain to do much more of it in all elections to come since they continue to fail to grasp their role in it.

To blame Bernie and his supporters because Hillary failed to win their votes is backwards thinking. You are not entitled to somebody's vote just because you say somebody else is worse than you, despite you standing for nothing and being a corporate stooge yourself.

It was Hillary that failed so pathetically, and it is she that is to blame, not the people she who didn't endorse or vote for her. It wasn't Bernie. It wasn't Stein. It was Hillary's failure.

Last edited:

Hmmm, I was a Bernie bro. My vote helped give him his first win in Michigan.

But, as some say, you fall in love in the primaries, you fall in line in the election.

Well apparently not anymore. It also says a lot that Bernie won Michigan in the primary but Hillary did not in the election proper.

Hillary lost because too many leftists lack a mature and realistic grasp of what it means to compromise to form a coalition to defeat a far more dangerous enemy. The Dems will continue to lose if that doesn't change.

There is the battle for the whitehouse, and there is the battle for the direction and future of the party. The corporate Dems have been tilting the party further and further to the right while taking the left for granted. This loss has a good chance of changing that. Bernie and Warren are already being looked to as potential leaders of the party. There is a real opportunity to really actually change things here, first with the party and then with the country.

You need some real fundamental change, not the same old same old of Bush/Obama. Obama campaigned on change and didn't deliver nearly well enough in action or in will once he got in. Yes, you will now have 4 years of Trump. Despite the panic fits of some in the Dem party, not a whole lot will fundentally change for the worse. The hysteria of comparing Trump to Hitler is more than a little overblown. A few small things may actually improve. Then in 4 years you could have another chance for real change. Don't fuck it up again eh?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom