• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I Did Not Know

An ornamental tree called the Bradford pear became popular for a time in the U.S. Lady Bird Johnson planted one in Washington back in '66. The payback comes in spring, as the flowers give off a smell which many people describe as an intense whiff of semen. Some Southern cities have large numbers of the trees -- Louisville KY is known for them. I can't think of much use for this information, but I do think there should be Bradford pears planted outside the women's dorms at Liberty U., because those Christian gals are otherwise missing what their counterparts at secular schools can access. And they could probably sleep better on warm spring nights with the fresh air coming -- pouring in.

... the women's dorms at Liberty U., because those Christian gals are otherwise missing what their counterparts at secular schools can access.
Doubt it.
I imagine Liberty is like BYU. The older classwomen tell the freshmen that lightning does not strike if a boy sees your secret no-no place, plus tips to easily avoid getting caught violating the moral code.

Kevin Roose's book about life at Liberty (The Unlikely Disciple) portrays it as an extremely repressed, sublimated environment. If there are hellions, they are a small minority.

I did not know that John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) was an American citizen.

I did not know that I lived in a world where Johnny freakin' Rotten would vote Republican!

I got my first training in electronics/electricity at Guided missiles School in 1980. One thing we did was search out opens in cables connecting equipment. I thought it was called 'wringing out' the cable. Wringing the faults out like wringing the water out of a towel.
2005, i learned that in the old days, before reliable portable multimeters, the fastest way to verify wire continuity in a cable was to connect a battery, a doorbell, then form a circuit with each suspect wire. If there was continuity, the doorbell rang. If it didn't ring, there was an open.

Immediately after this, added the term, 'ringing out' to a computer-based lesson on troubleshooting. One of my bosses edited it out, told me not to use 'trendy or goofy terms' in official curricula. Use official terms.

Went down to the Engineering library, found a 1955 book on electricity, stood on top of boss' desk, read him the publishing date, then the chapter on RINGING OUT WIRES AND CABLES.
Edited out his edit.

I got my first training in electronics/electricity at Guided missiles School in 1980. One thing we did was search out opens in cables connecting equipment. I thought it was called 'wringing out' the cable. Wringing the faults out like wringing the water out of a towel.
2005, i learned that in the old days, before reliable portable multimeters, the fastest way to verify wire continuity in a cable was to connect a battery, a doorbell, then form a circuit with each suspect wire. If there was continuity, the doorbell rang. If it didn't ring, there was an open.

Immediately after this, added the term, 'ringing out' to a computer-based lesson on troubleshooting. One of my bosses edited it out, told me not to use 'trendy or goofy terms' in official curricula. Use official terms.

Went down to the Engineering library, found a 1955 book on electricity, stood on top of boss' desk, read him the publishing date, then the chapter on RINGING OUT WIRES AND CABLES.
Edited out his edit.

Toning devices are the descendants of that old system.

Edited out his edit.

We called it "buzzing". Also subject to misinterpretation. "John is buzzing down in the cable well."

John could get in trouble for doing that at work.

Joe Piscopo, who disappeared from movies ages ago, is a morning DJ (or maybe shock jock) and a Trump-lover. I guess he's had Victoria Jackson on, then.

From a daily trivia feed I get:

Did You Know?
Before he was the widely recognized and beloved host of “The Joy of Painting,” Bob Ross was an Air Force First Sergeant. After he retired from the military, his days of barking orders were over and he adopted the soft and soothing “let’s paint some happy little trees” voice he’s known for.

From a daily trivia feed I get:

Did You Know?
Before he was the widely recognized and beloved host of “The Joy of Painting,” Bob Ross was an Air Force First Sergeant. After he retired from the military, his days of barking orders were over and he adopted the soft and soothing “let’s paint some happy little trees” voice he’s known for.

Sadly he died young, if I remember correctly.

I did not know that Linus Roache, who plays the role of a DA in Law and Order is English. Not only is he English but he appeared in a long running British soap opera called Coronation Street. AND his father is Bill Roache who is also in Coronation Street and is the longest serving actor on the soap playing the part of Ken Barlow ! Linus played the part Ken Barlow's son, they actually are father and son !! Trippy or what ?!!

Back
Top Bottom