• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I love being honored by marching in a parade...

Talking about him talking about ordering the Defense Department...
On Military.com, the vets are talking about the headline saying 'order,' when what Trump 'really' did was request a parade.

Have to wonder about that. I mean, I never met the commander in chief. I met a couple of admirals. Several commodores. Lots of captains. For the most part, when someone of a superior rank says 'I request' it's indistinguishable from 'I command.' Either way, you need a really, really good reason to not comply.

When they're THE superior rank, I can't see much difference...
Regardless, I look forward to seeing the subs in the parade.

And that is the beauty of a Virtual Reality military parade. Not only could you have subs, but you could drive a virtual submarine down Pennsylvania avenue as the president salutes you. What's not to like?

His statement about wanting a parade is working. People are paying so much attention to that instead of whatever else he is doing.

If president stable genius can keep track of all these ‘distractions’ then so can everyone. The only ones being distracted are his base - likely willfully.

aa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at a 4th of July parade in Jacksonville. A squadron from the Naval Air Station showed their prowess at flying in formation by driving golf carts in coordinated maneuvers.
We could do something similar, I suppose. Take a few golf carts, paint them black, and then 140 of us drive at 4 knots to nowhere, being quiet and undetectable... running away from any contacts, hiding...
Or, you know, TELL people we were in the parade. But if you saw us, we fucked it up...

So, tell Cadet Bone Spurs that the parade honours the recent US advances in camouflage and stealth technology, and have him stand on a reviewing stand saluting an empty street for a few hours, while behind him the joint chiefs make appreciative noises about how their branch is doing so much better than the others - "I am sure I caught a glimpse of your stealth bomber flypast. But none of you spotted the Navy SEAL infiltration and sabotage team, did you? Those boys are SERIOUSLY good". "Nonsense, I am sure I heard a suspicious sound as they went past. But the Army managed to get an entire stealth tank battalion past without us seeing them - with their support vehicles too!"

I was at a 4th of July parade in Jacksonville. A squadron from the Naval Air Station showed their prowess at flying in formation by driving golf carts in coordinated maneuvers.
We could do something similar, I suppose. Take a few golf carts, paint them black, and then 140 of us drive at 4 knots to nowhere, being quiet and undetectable... running away from any contacts, hiding...
Or, you know, TELL people we were in the parade. But if you saw us, we fucked it up...

So, tell Cadet Bone Spurs that the parade honours the recent US advances in camouflage and stealth technology, and have him stand on a reviewing stand saluting an empty street for a few hours, while behind him the joint chiefs make appreciative noises about how their branch is doing so much better than the others - "I am sure I caught a glimpse of your stealth bomber flypast. But none of you spotted the Navy SEAL infiltration and sabotage team, did you? Those boys are SERIOUSLY good". "Nonsense, I am sure I heard a suspicious sound as they went past. But the Army managed to get an entire stealth tank battalion past without us seeing them - with their support vehicles too!"

:hysterical: LOVE that idea!!!

His statement about wanting a parade is working. People are paying so much attention to that instead of whatever else he is doing.

If president stable genius can keep track of all these ‘distractions’ then so can everyone. The only ones being distracted are his base - likely willfully.

aa

So most of the people in this thread are his base?

aa

So most of the people in this thread are his base?

Only if you believe that attention is some sort of zero sum game and 'people in this thread' (including yourself) are completely incapable of keeping track of more than one story simultaneously.

aa

To complete his day of glory, dress him in a stunning outfit using the finest threads. Just don't tell him the garments are an exact replica of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Only if you believe that attention is some sort of zero sum game and 'people in this thread' (including yourself) are completely incapable of keeping track of more than one story simultaneously.

aa
Well, attention-whore-in-chief acts like he believes it.
If his problems aren't on the front page, they've gone away.

Then if he can get quoted, his quotes go front page, he must believe he controls the narrative. "This memo proves there was no collusion," he says. That's splashed across headlines. If that's what people see, that's what people believe. I mean, that's how he gets HIS news, must work for every other mind in America...

How about some serious commentary on this parade idea instead.

Donald Trump’s Superficial Patriotism at the Twilight of U.S. Empire

Despite the title, I don’t want this post to be all about Donald Trump. The truth of the matter is all politicians love superficial patriotism. It’s why they all claim to care deeply about the troops, yet allow veterans to wait weeks or months to see a doctor after sending them to fight pointless imperial overseas wars based on fabrications. All these disingenuous politicians are total frauds, but they tend sell the same destructive policies in different ways. As such, it’s important to understand how they manipulate and divide us.

First and foremost, standing for the National Anthem, saluting the flag or cheering a military parade is not “supporting the troops.” If you think such trivial and superficial acts represent anything beyond lazy surface level virtue signaling you’re a huge part of the problem. Your thoughtlessness and fake patriotism is exactly why our young kids are being sent off to die and murder other young kids halfway across the world to pad the coffers of plutocrats and the egos of empire obsessed sociopaths in D.C. Not only are such acts not patriotism, your phony gestures help grease the wheels of global death and destruction.

Having a strong military for national defense is a necessary thing, but the purpose of such a force should always and in all circumstances be defense. A major problem arises when you have a global empire coupled with the strongest military on earth. Such a situation results in an overwhelming temptation to use this power for offensive aggression, and that’s exactly what our so-called “elites” have used the U.S. military for throughout the 21st century. The attacks of September 11, 2001 merely provided an excuse for the most twisted people in Washington D.C. to live out their most deranged power fantasies. George W. Bush got the ball rolling, Barack Obama stuck to the script, albeit with a more slick sales pitch, and Donald Trump’s set to take us to the inevitable end, which is imperial collapse.

In many ways, Donald Trump is the ideal President to usher in the end of U.S. empire. Although the less intelligent slice of his support base credulously believed he’d “Make America Great Again,” his more jaded and realistic voters merely hoped he’d just burn the whole thing down, metaphorically speaking. He needed a combination of these two groups to win, so it’s very important to not think of his voters as a monolithic entity. Many of them don’t even like Trump, they just wanted to throw a grenade into this corrupt system and knew he was the best of the two candidates to do it. In many ways, they were correct.

They weren’t correct because Trump meant anything he said on the campaign trail. He clearly didn’t. It’s obvious Trump loves Wall Street, after all, the first thing he did was surround himself with former Goldman Sachs partners. On foreign policy, he’s embraced some of the most barbaric and despotic regimes on earth, such as Saudi Arabia, with the enthusiasm of a little boy with a grade school crush, and appears disturbingly eager to start a war with Iran. That said, Trump’s Presidency’s may still lead to the effect desired by many of his more cynical voters.

For example, things really are coming apart at the seams, largely due to the transparently hysterical and demented reaction of neocons and neoliberals to his election. This faux “resistance” movement is such an obvious superficial sham it’s caused everyone with a somewhat functioning brain to recognize that most of the dominant aspects of this culture are shams. This realization is becoming harder and harder to deny, especially for younger generations.

said no soldier ever.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...o-stage-military-parade-down-pennsylvania-ave

We are going to show our 'appreciation' for the military by making them do all of the work to entertain everyone else.

Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev presided over large military parades showing off the latest in Soviet military might. Beschloss says some in the White House approached Eisenhower, himself a decorated military general, suggesting the U.S. do the same, to show off American might.

"Eisenhower said absolutely not, we are the preeminent power on Earth," Beschloss says, recalling Eisenhower's response. "For us to try to imitate what the Soviets are doing in Red Square would make us look weak."

I'm sure president bone spurs knows more than a 4 star combat general who presided over the height of the cold war.

aa

I call Trump a proto-fascist, because while he has all of the authoritarian tendencies required to be a fascist and to install in the US a fascist government centered around the glorification of himself, he is too lazy and lacks the organizational skills to actually do it.

But I might be missing something, as President he can order others to do it for him. We are therefore dependent on two things to prevent it.

The first is a fractured media often caught between their owners' desires to loot the nation's income and their journalistic principles to speak truth to power. I consider this to be the shakist, because it is the owners who pay the news readers 7 and 8 figure annual salaries.

The second is the so-called deep state in the civil service and the military. While both of these are doing what they are doing because of a sense of duty to the nation, both are conditioned to follow orders.

Whatever happens it is going to be a near thing, democracy and the republic seem to depend on a very few, highly placed military and civil service leaders. And of course, the well proven incompetence of the Trump administration and of the Congressional Republican leadership.

Back
Top Bottom